or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Which display wins the shootout? Let's have some fun. Make your predictions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which display wins the shootout? Let's have some fun. Make your predictions here. - Page 29

post #841 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

You do understand how close the competition was right? Your acting as if Samsung blew pannasonic out if the water lol

only in one aspect which is brightness, Samsung is out for the most sales, they know from thier huge LCD sales that brightness sells especially in B&M stores.. The over all competition was very close however which only means one thing everyone wins smile.gif
post #842 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

It was sheshechic lol. Only two females on this thread and here I am mixing them up. Silly me. My apologies.

There are more than two. Im not one of them but there are more smile.gif
post #843 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There are more than two. Im not one of them but there are more smile.gif

I for one am glad that my girlfriend cannot tell a difference betweem my pioneer kuro 101fd and my sharp lc70le632u.

I cannot image a couple where both are videophiles with opposing views.
post #844 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There are more than two. Im not one of them but there are more smile.gif

i am smile.gif one of the very few !
post #845 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i am smile.gif one of the very few !

yes I know lj smile.gif I didnt want to call you out though...
post #846 of 1489
I'm going to keep my VT 65" (being delivered Wednesday). I'm tired of beating my head over the split hair differences. If it doesn't work out in my somewhat "bright" room, the decision will become more clear on what I need to do. Plus by then there will be more hands on reviews. Double plus is that I have a 60 day return window from best buy.... Time to get some rest now, no more chattering... smile.gif
post #847 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Here is something you don't know...The 500M's brightness control was set too high (+2 instead of +1) at Friday's demo. Its MLL would have read the stock MLL or higher for that model. Yet, everyone I spoke to that night still said the Kuro had better black levels. Saturday's demo had the correct brightness. Of course people still thought the Kuro was better.
If I'm a Pioneer fanboy, why did I replace my 4280HD with a ST60? I don't give a damn about a brand. I go with what is best. Whenever and whom ever makes a display that is better than the other displays I have in my house will get my money. Until then, my other Kuros will remain where they stay. Feel free to call me a fanboy for that.
Hello ,
Thank you for the work you do and v to your opinion ...
I also chose a ST60 a good compromise with my Kuro I keep ... wink.gif
post #848 of 1489
Kevin calibrated my VT50 las year and got 40 FtL out of it, no problem, the VT60 is supposed to be brighter, so i would imagine he could do the same with the VT60
post #849 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Here's a list of free large storage sites. Can I get a copy too, please?

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20000133-285/how-to-save-and-share-ridiculously-large-files/

I just finished ripping the disc and it is a whopping 13GB. The article does not list any free storage sites that will accomodate files larger than 10GB.

Anyone has any other suggestions?
post #850 of 1489
Can you break it up into 2 files?
post #851 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

gene9p, you're way off base when it comes to D-Nice. He has added more to the plasma community than anyone I know of. I've been on the forum a long time and I have witnessed many occasions when D-Nice went above and beyond to help the community beginning for me with posting settings for the Kuros. Speaking of which -- he's not a pio fanboy -- he's a reference display fan and as the owner of 2 Kuros I can tell you they were the reference for many years.
The Kuro still remaining the leader in image and no doubt also the quality of its construction ... eek.gif
post #852 of 1489
So here's another problem, I ripped it (with DVDFab) to generate a .img file. I then burned the .img file using tiny burner (http://www.tinyburner.com/) to a BD-R and my PS3 detects it as a Data Disc.

This is my first time ripping and burning bluray discs (had no problem with DVDs). Any help to properly rip (and split the resulting 13 GB file in 2 files) is appreciated.
post #853 of 1489
Once you achieve a successful rip, Winrar or 7-zip should enable you to easily divide it into 2 files.

Within Windows, simply right-click the root folder of the disk backup and select 7-zip --> "Add to archive..."

Name the archive as you see fit and under "Split to volumes, bytes," enter something like 7G and press OK. You will now have 2 files that should be under the necessary 10GB limit. Just upload them separately. As a test, the backup can then be restored from the archive by highlighting both files and selecting 7-Zip --> Extract Files.

Alternatively, I'm not sure what the file size limit on this site is (it's currently quite sluggish), but it might be worth looking into: http://mega.co.nz/
post #854 of 1489
There is a torrent with all KURO Demos...i download it. I have all KURO Demos. Every demo has 2 or 3 gb file size.
post #855 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Once you achieve a successful rip, Winrar or 7-zip should enable you to easily divide it into 2 files.

Within Windows, simply right-click the root folder of the disk backup and select 7-zip --> "Add to archive..."

Name the archive as you see fit and under "Split to volumes, bytes," enter something like 7G and press OK. You will now have 2 files that should be under the necessary 10GB limit. Just upload them separately. As a test, the backup can then be restored from the archive by highlighting both files and selecting 7-Zip --> Extract Files.

Alternatively, I'm not sure what the file size limit on this site is (it's currently quite sluggish), but it might be worth looking into: http://mega.co.nz/

Do you know why the .img was burnt as a data disc?

I don't want to upload a .img file that will not properly burn as a video. I burnt the file to a BD-R to test the sanity of the file prior to uploading.
post #856 of 1489
Agk, also an option if somebody wants to go torrent hunting. wink.gif

But if maka wants to complete his learning experience, this might be a more direct solution for those of us in the forum as well.

I would also recommend trying http://mega.co.nz/ - no size limits O.o

Maka, I am not sure, haven't done any Blu-ray disc authoring yet, but I'm sure there's a solution if we hunt a little.
post #857 of 1489
Here is the link: http://kat.ph/pioneer-demo-clips-collection-2006-2009-remux-1080i-t4570319.html
i hope don't get an infraction or something...is slow but you can choose any demos that you want...i have like 200gb on demo disc...(I watch all of them jajaja)

It took me a week to download because doesn't have seeds in the day...but i have a 4mbps crappy connection frown.gif maybe for you is more fast
post #858 of 1489
I'm going to ask my buddy from work for the exact method that he used to burn me a copy of the disc, because he used a copy that he kept on his hard drive to create D-Nice's copy. I have a feeling he didn't save it as an .img file when he kept a copy on his hard drive.

I just finished a disc to disc copy using DVDFab and it worked fine. So I know the problem resides in either saving the copy as a .img file and the burning portion of it.
post #859 of 1489
Here's the problem with "trusting your eyes""



The squares A and B are the same color.

Your eyes aren't reliable.

And this is especially true when your frame of reference is busted by having a lot of displays all showing things at once, some of which are really bright. If I go into the store, I'm certain that the Panasonic plasmas are completely unsatisfactory in brightness against virtually every LCD. Yet at home, I'm actually equally certain that they are completely sufficient in brightness in almost all lighting conditions (I nearly never watch in total darkness). And further, because the forum has gotten obsessed with ABL issues, I've done real-world content testing and found that in the vast majority of content, my plasma isn't being affected discernibly by ABL. Now, there are exceptions, but what's surprising is how relatively infrequent they are.

My testing methodology is admittedly subjective, but involves bringing up content where I think ABL is occurring on my laptop where I can compare the "whiteness" to the laptop white and also doing some sequential testing to see whether the plasma can manage something whiter on a less bright scene than when I see a scene where I believe ABL might be occurring. What's apparent is that ABL is more minimal than I suspect.

Now, again, none of this means that (a) there is no ABL and (b) that I couldn't make use of a brighter plasma. In fact, I want to clarify something for anyone reading: If I were shopping in 2013, I'd probably buy a Samsung. But the idea that this is some dramatic difference that most people are going to experience with a calibrated display on ABL effects regularly strains not the imagination, but the actual experience of someone who has spent time and effort to identify ABL effects. And I do, in fact, regularly see ABL effects. AT&T, for example, is a relentless advertiser in my area and through 30-second skipping, I regularly catch the tail end of their commercials, where I can't help but see ABL effects. But watching sports? No, sorry, I don't see them often. Certainly not when watching the NBA and only minimally on my admittedly minimal time spent checking out the NHL.
post #860 of 1489
Thx, agk! I'll pretend I didn't see that.cool.gif I have an economic broadband connection, so mine is not much better, but it sounds like it will be limited by the # of available torrents anyway. I'm more interested in getting this 1:1 copy from Maka at this point, lol.

You have a PM, Maka. Not sure it's of any use, but I found a very rough guide pertaining to your software anyway. It's probably better to move this off-topic discussion out of this thread.
post #861 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by agkss View Post

Plasma
1) ZT60
2) VT60 (Runner up...most close in a history of Shootout)
3) F8500

LCD/LED

1) F8000
2) X900A
3) LA8600
4) WT60

Only if surprise, surprise is LG OLED...LG OLED will be the Winner...Like we say: "EL MEJOR"

PS: Only matter to me calibrator's result.

I only fail in the inclusion of LG...and ZT didn't won...VT yes
No 2013 tv for me
Edited by agkss - 5/14/13 at 12:24am
post #862 of 1489
So,is both voting counts in crowning the new king:experts+audience÷2= new king?

I guess yes,after reading.
Edited by 3dprojector - 5/14/13 at 12:23am
post #863 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Here's the problem with "trusting your eyes""

The squares A and B are the same color.

Your eyes aren't reliable.

And this is especially true when your frame of reference is busted by having a lot of displays all showing things at once, some of which are really bright. If I go into the store, I'm certain that the Panasonic plasmas are completely unsatisfactory in brightness against virtually every LCD. Yet at home, I'm actually equally certain that they are completely sufficient in brightness in almost all lighting conditions (I nearly never watch in total darkness). And further, because the forum has gotten obsessed with ABL issues, I've done real-world content testing and found that in the vast majority of content, my plasma isn't being affected discernibly by ABL. Now, there are exceptions, but what's surprising is how relatively infrequent they are.

My testing methodology is admittedly subjective, but involves bringing up content where I think ABL is occurring on my laptop where I can compare the "whiteness" to the laptop white and also doing some sequential testing to see whether the plasma can manage something whiter on a less bright scene than when I see a scene where I believe ABL might be occurring. What's apparent is that ABL is more minimal than I suspect.

Now, again, none of this means that (a) there is no ABL and (b) that I couldn't make use of a brighter plasma. In fact, I want to clarify something for anyone reading: If I were shopping in 2013, I'd probably buy a Samsung. But the idea that this is some dramatic difference that most people are going to experience with a calibrated display on ABL effects regularly strains not the imagination, but the actual experience of someone who has spent time and effort to identify ABL effects. And I do, in fact, regularly see ABL effects. AT&T, for example, is a relentless advertiser in my area and through 30-second skipping, I regularly catch the tail end of their commercials, where I can't help but see ABL effects. But watching sports? No, sorry, I don't see them often. Certainly not when watching the NBA and only minimally on my admittedly minimal time spent checking out the NHL.
Thank you for the opposite perspective concerning this ABL scare. My perception of this problem is even less than yours, and unlike others who seem to be hypersensitive to it, I knew nothing but LCD (where this phenomenon doesn't exist) prior to 2008.
post #864 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjim1 View Post


Problem is Panasonic had no competition for so long that it has become stagnant, blotted, blubbering company that manages a few tweaks each year. Frankly if you put the VT60 and VT50 behind a curtain and ask people to pick which they like best, will be 50-50. How's that for innovation? Isn't it ironic that Panasonic can't even beat the Kuro, which they built and hold all the patents for....and it is 6 years later.

Lol, you obviously haven't been paying very close attention. Put a VT30 and a VT50 together and you'll see quite a big difference. That's the way it usually works: a teardown every other year with major improvements, and minor improvements on that design the next year. Samsung's 2012 PDP offerings did little to improve on the "D" series of 2011, so good on them for making big leaps this year.
post #865 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Agk, also an option if somebody wants to go torrent hunting. wink.gif

But if maka wants to complete his learning experience, this might be a more direct solution for those of us in the forum as well.

I would also recommend trying http://mega.co.nz/ - no size limits O.o

Maka, I am not sure, haven't done any Blu-ray disc authoring yet, but I'm sure there's a solution if we hunt a little.

I figured out the problem. Tiny burner burned the actual .img file to the disc instead of extracting the files from the image file prior to burning.

I will upload the file tomorrow, as it's getting late.
post #866 of 1489
Can someone please tell me which 2013 television has floating blacks? Thanks to anyone who responds.
post #867 of 1489
VT60 is a good improvement, at least in the black,.....colors, motion are the same, video processing may be slightly better, it apparently has less dither in the shadows, and maybe a lil more gradation there too, but, honestly the blacks are twice as deep if not more. Vt50 vs Kuro, it was a clear Kuro winner, VT60 vs Kuro(almost hard to tell, albeit the Kuro still pulls ahead) Blacks on the VT50 were .0024 FtL, Blacks on VT60 are .0013...although David Mackenzies HDTVTest review puts them at .003 cd/m2 or .00088 FtL,
post #868 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

Kevin calibrated my VT50 las year and got 40 FtL out of it, no problem, the VT60 is supposed to be brighter, so i would imagine he could do the same with the VT60



I was trying to find out if the VT60 is brighter or not. Do you have a link?
post #869 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post


For me personally Samsung was the clear winner before this shootout because this year they have revolutionised the plasma technology and touched an aspect of plasma that no manufacturer before them even bothered to look at.

Your non-expert view is supported by the masses, but not the experts. It is certainly clear that Panny has two reference panels in multiple sizes and Sammy has the F8500. Additionally, Panny offers the ST60, which might be the best value of all time. The idea that Sammy is leading the way is laughable although it is fantastic that their R&D is helping move plasma forward. Now maybe they can offer the non-videophile middle class an affordable panel which matches the ST60?

Clearly, it's a great year for plasma.
post #870 of 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Does Samsung hold patent protection on their F8500 pixel design,which allowed them to make the panels brighter, or can Panasonic also use a similar structure in the 2014 panels? Of course that would require Panasonic to reverse their plans to not do any more new R&D on their Plasma design, and they may not be willing to revisit that decision, but they may have made that, before they found out what their competition was about to spring on them.

I doubt any of us know much about Panny's R&D. Who's to say that this year's offerings represent the extent of their R&D? Perhaps there is another year or two worth of enhancements which been developed already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Which display wins the shootout? Let's have some fun. Make your predictions here.