or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX 1123-K Zone 2 output
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer VSX 1123-K Zone 2 output

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to figure out the zone 2 output on this device.
Just testing it for the time being.
I moved my mains to the Zone 2 output in the back, In the menu I set Play Zone to Zone 2, and when I turn on Zone 2 and select a source like the tuner nothing comes out of the speakers. Yes I have checked the volume smile.gif
Also note worthy, my setup is set to Speaker B, 5.1 with Zone 2.
Manual also says that I should be able to listen to my media server music, which by the way works in the Main Zone.
Also when I switch to speaker B in the main Zone, my understanding is that the main zone input will be routed to Zone 2 speakers, this does nothing.
Manual talks about DMR Mode for DLNA server, I tried the iCOntrolAV2013 app and push player in Zone 2 via app it shows playing the music but again nothing comer out.
Am I missing a setting here, it has to be a setting or something?
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #2 of 58
I was able to get my speakers working using the speaker selector on the remote but I can't control the volume.
post #3 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

I was able to get my speakers working using the speaker selector on the remote but I can't control the volume.

Odd you should be able to, when I switch to Speaker B i can control the volume the fact that nothing comes out of that is another story.
Mine are not working using the speaker selector, can anyone else confirm this?
Edited by Exist_To_Resist - 5/10/13 at 8:17am
post #4 of 58
Thread Starter 
I'm doing some manual reading and I already found a flaw in my setup for my receiver. I have the Speaker System setup as Speaker B: "With these connections you can simultaneously enjoy 5.2-channel surround sound in the main zone with stereo playback of the same sound on the B speakers." It should be set to Zone 2 in the Speaker System option on the receiver. "Zone 2 with these connections you can simultaneously enjoy 5.2 channel surround sound in the main zone with stereo playback on another component in Zone 2. (The selection of input devices is limited)"
I need to change this when I get home tonight and re run MCACC. What do you have yours set to?
post #5 of 58
Didn't want to leave you hanging I can only check tomorrow morning and I will get back to you .
post #6 of 58
Forgot to mention my receiver now recognizes my cable remote so there's no more back and forth between remotes but I don't know how it happened. I didn't change a thing. Good and scarey
post #7 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

Didn't want to leave you hanging I can only check tomorrow morning and I will get back to you .

Solved, I have Zone 2 working. Tested it with the Tuner and with the Push Player from the iControlAV2013 App.
Settings are as follows, in the receiver menu go to 4.System Setup - 4a.Manual SP Setup - 4a1.Speaker System and change to ZONE 2.
Then go to 4f.Other Setup - 4f7.Play ZONE Setup, set Play ZONE to ZONE 2.
That should be it.
Not sure if these settings rely on it, however I also have 4f5a.MAIN/HDZONE Setup set to HDZONE, don't think this setting matters though unless you have a monitor/TV in Zone 2.
Let me know if that works for you.

Also I didn't re-run MCACC since I haven't added, removed, or repositioned my speakers. I figure the settings are still good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

Forgot to mention my receiver now recognizes my cable remote so there's no more back and forth between remotes but I don't know how it happened. I didn't change a thing. Good and scarey

Lol, it's got a mind of it's own. Mine did something funny with the ARC last night :/
post #8 of 58
Are your speaker plugged into surround back/zone2 or front height wide/B . I'll try it later. And how do you control the volume? And turning speaker on and of requires what? If I can't make it easy for my wife to use she might not yell return that thing!
Thank
Tom
post #9 of 58
Oh boy now I just get sound in zone 2. I'm getting tired. I've tried so many things its just not worth it.
post #10 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

Are your speaker plugged into surround back/zone2 or front height wide/B . I'll try it later. And how do you control the volume? And turning speaker on and of requires what? If I can't make it easy for my wife to use she might not yell return that thing!
Thank
Tom

Speaker plugged into Surround back/Zone 2. You need to press zone 2 button on the remote which is on the very bottom row most left, then press power, this will power your second zone. Then click tuner or something, and adjust the volume. Every time you want to control Zone 2 when you are in the main zone, you need to press the Zone 2 button on the remote. To switch back to the main zone press the receiver button, and then the source you are listening/watching on the main zone and this will give you control of your main zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

Oh boy now I just get sound in zone 2. I'm getting tired. I've tried so many things its just not worth it.

I don't understand, is it working for you?
post #11 of 58
I reverted back to A-B. I can't control B but I can switch back and forth but it only works in [ext-stereo] . I get no surround in Main unless I use that or presets like Action which I don't want. I have an old Yamaha RX-V2300 that I used before with composite but just had the audio outs from the TV . It also had A/B speakers.I wanted to replace that for true surround but it doesn't seem like I'm going to get there. I will try your way again but I'm brow beaten.One thing is, it works with Anynet+ with my Samsung 60" but even that only I can do it but not anyone who wants to watch TV. And that won't do. Someone could hit one button on that remote . And it would take me a weekend to get it back.
post #12 of 58
Thread Starter 
Did you edit the "Speaker System" option and "Play Zone" options to try and get Zone 2 to work?
post #13 of 58
I did get zone2 to work but then Main wouldn't work. And no surround sound works on main but stereo ext. The remote should be split with a main and zone2 section . But either way the average person can't work this receiver and that rules out my family. I just want to watch a movie with surround sound and a switch to turn on kitchen speakers .
post #14 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Debenny View Post

I did get zone2 to work but then Main wouldn't work. And no surround sound works on main but stereo ext. The remote should be split with a main and zone2 section . But either way the average person can't work this receiver and that rules out my family. I just want to watch a movie with surround sound and a switch to turn on kitchen speakers .

Hmm it should work with 5.1, I'll test in the next day or two, I just got a new HTPC case so that is priority at the moment.
If you have a smart phone or tablet of the iOS or Android variety download the iControlAV2013 app and you can use that as the secondary remote.

EDIT: I just got an idea, perhaps the reason your sound is being cut off from the main zone is the play zone settings.
Edited by Exist_To_Resist - 5/13/13 at 12:25pm
post #15 of 58
I've tried everything I could read . But nothing gave me full control so I'm returning the unit and going back to my old Yamaha. When they make this simple I'll be back . Thanks for all the help.
post #16 of 58
Thread Starter 
Sorry to hear that, perhaps you got a lemon. Good luck and avoid Harman Kardon.
post #17 of 58
Hi All,

I am new to the forum so please bare with me. I have a Pioneer VSX-921-K (Eu Version). I want to know if it is at all possible to run the 921 with both bi-amp and Zone 2 enabled.

I have read the manual end to end and have found that the surr back outputs is used in both cases. Is it not possible to use the Front Height/Wide outputs for Zone 2. As I understand the Speaker B setup plays the same audio on both "zones" which is not what I want to do. I want to achieve a 5.1 bi amp system in my main zone, with independent audio in zone 2.

Any help or alternatives to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.
post #18 of 58
Thread Starter 
To my understanding it is not, it might be possible with perhaps the Elite series Pioneers specifically the high end ones but definitively not the regular series.
post #19 of 58
Thanks for this thread, I got my Zone 2 to work perfectly! I couldn't figure out what was wrong, I needed to select "Zone 2" in the speaker setup as you wrote earlier.

Maybe next I'll experiment with HDZONE.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanludik View Post

Hi All,

I am new to the forum so please bare with me. I have a Pioneer VSX-921-K (Eu Version). I want to know if it is at all possible to run the 921 with both bi-amp and Zone 2 enabled.

I have read the manual end to end and have found that the surr back outputs is used in both cases. Is it not possible to use the Front Height/Wide outputs for Zone 2. As I understand the Speaker B setup plays the same audio on both "zones" which is not what I want to do. I want to achieve a 5.1 bi amp system in my main zone, with independent audio in zone 2.

Any help or alternatives to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.

Bi-amping a 2.0 speaker setup may help slightly. Bi-amping a 5.1 speaker setup
with the internal amps is worthless. Just go with the zone 2.
post #21 of 58
Quick question about the Pioneer VSX 1123-K.

I'm trying to help a friend who wants to do 2 zones, but have one of the zones play in 2 locations at the same time... as in living room and patio, and have the 2nd zone just be the bed room. Also, he has only Stereo speakers in the living room, bedroom, and patio. No 5.1 anywhere at all.

I'm thinking I can have him set the living room to be the main zone on this receiver, and use speakers B as the patio set. While sending an HDMI cable to his bedroom for Zone 2.

I'm hoping this is clear as mud (wink wink)... Since I'm not sure exactly how this receiver works, I'm not sure of the proper terminology to use. Plus my A/V skills are about 10 years out of date. frown.gif

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #22 of 58
Just going by the manual yes stereo can be output to speakers A(front), B(front height/wide) and zone 2(surround back) simultaneously.
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Just going by the manual yes stereo can be output to speakers A(front), B(front height/wide) and zone 2(surround back) simultaneously.

Ok that sounds good for simultaneous playback. How about for individual playback by Zone? Meaning can I do Speakers A, or Speakers B, or Zone 2? I Think I understand that Zone 1 (Speakers A&B) have to be the same output, but not necessarily both on at the same time, but Zone 2 could be a different output. Does this hold true even if Zone 2 is using the (surround back) instead of the HDMI output for Zone 2?

Thank you for the quick response!
post #24 of 58
Until recently almost all receivers, regardless of brand or model would only output
analog inputs to zone 2. Even now most digital inputs can not be sent discretely to zone 2.
That is why there is a separate hdmi output to zone 2 on this receiver. That is a newer feature/option.
If you want to send a toslink optical or digital composite audio input only to zone 2 most receivers
still won't do it. Not fun reading the manual, but somewhere in there it is covered. I own a 1121
and it is in a box right now. Here is the manual. For the most part you can do what you want (only in 2.0).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1123-K_OperatingInstructions011813.pdf
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Until recently almost all receivers, regardless of brand or model would only output
analog inputs to zone 2. Even now most digital inputs can not be sent discretely to zone 2.
That is why there is a separate hdmi output to zone 2 on this receiver. That is a newer feature/option.
If you want to send a toslink optical or digital composite audio input only to zone 2 most receivers
still won't do it. Not fun reading the manual, but somewhere in there it is covered. I own a 1121
and it is in a box right now. Here is the manual. For the most part you can do what you want (only in 2.0).

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1123-K_OperatingInstructions011813.pdf

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your time and the link. Dunno why I didn't think to look for the manual online. My mind isn't as sharp as it used to be eek.gif
post #26 of 58
You are welcome and thanks for the thumbs up.
Reading those manuals can bring on headaches.
So your turn. If still confused post again and I will
do some more research. Good luck.
post #27 of 58
Does anyone know if I can use the built-in Airplay input in Zone 2?

Thanks
post #28 of 58
Does anyone know if you can watch tv for example a football game with out audio output and listen to music from your iPod at the same time without using zone 2
post #29 of 58
Is anyone using the HDZONE feature (the 2nd HDMI out)? From my understanding of it, it seems pretty useless in practice...If I feed the receiver a 5.1 audio source, what happens to the audio in Zone 2 if it's plugged into a standard TV set with onboard speakers?
post #30 of 58
If it reacts like it does on Denon and Marantz models (which is likely given it's just an HDMI switch), if the TV can only receive stereo 2.0 audio then the audio to Zone 2 and to the surround speakers in the main zone would be down mixed to 2.0 as well, whereas if you connected it to another AVR and then connect the TV to that AVR, it would pass the 5.1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Pioneer VSX 1123-K Zone 2 output