or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 32

post #931 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

For some reason I actually can't remember how she came into custody of Garrett. Or what was said in terms of her knowledge. But I suppose what you say is possible. But didn't she think Coulson was Hydra? She was bringing The Bus back on auto pilot and not trying to shoot it down. Perhaps because she wanted to find out the alliance of the rest of the team? But then again, she would have known the drones were shot down and Garrett's plane docked with The Bus. If "knowing" Garrett was Hydra and at least suspecting Coulson (IIRC) were Hydra would she have still brought The Bus in? Or shot it down team and all?

Sorry, just thinking out loud folks. Jedi business, go back to your drinks. smile.gif

I believe Hand wanted the Bus for the info stored on it, so they couldn't destroy it.
post #932 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

For some reason I actually can't remember how she came into custody of Garrett. Or what was said in terms of her knowledge. But I suppose what you say is possible. But didn't she think Coulson was Hydra? She was bringing The Bus back on auto pilot and not trying to shoot it down. Perhaps because she wanted to find out the alliance of the rest of the team? But then again, she would have known the drones were shot down and Garrett's plane docked with The Bus. If "knowing" Garrett was Hydra and at least suspecting Coulson (IIRC) were Hydra would she have still brought The Bus in? Or shot it down team and all?

Sorry, just thinking out loud folks. Jedi business, go back to your drinks. smile.gif
I am sure there was a seen where Hand commented about not being able to recall Garrett's plane so they opted to take it down. And that it wasn't a mistake because Garrett ran to Coulson who she knew was Hydra ergo he is bad as well.
post #933 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

I am sure there was a seen where Hand commented about not being able to recall Garrett's plane so they opted to take it down. And that it wasn't a mistake because Garrett ran to Coulson who she knew was Hydra ergo he is bad as well.

This. Hand was able to override the Bus and bring it in. She was unable to do the same with Garret and that made her decide he wasn't SHIELD since she couldn't control his plane. She already suspected Coulson was HYDRA, and when Garrett went to the Bus it confirmed her suspicions.


I think. smile.gif
post #934 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post



This. Hand was able to override the Bus and bring it in. She was unable to do the same with Garret and that made her decide he wasn't SHIELD since she couldn't control his plane. She already suspected Coulson was HYDRA, and when Garrett went to the Bus it confirmed her suspicions.


I think. smile.gif

Confirmed her suspicions because she thought Coulson was Hydra?

I do seem to vaguely recall there was information on The Bus that Hand wanted. Not 100% on that but it does sound familiar to me. And you'd figure at this (or that) point, Hand would assume everyone was Hydra and try to flesh them out or isolate who remains SHIELD. If she wasn't able to recall Garret's plane (kinda sounds familiar too) then that probably would have been sufficient for her to take action against it. As we know, intelligence is not always 100% so if she suspected Coulson was Hydra then she wasn't far off because Ward is (perhaps Ward made it look like Coulson was Hydra to Hand?) and is part of Coulson's team. Garrett going back to The Bus would certainly give the impression him seeking Hydra refuge. A small kink in the theory is why was Garrett's transmission garbled when his plane was attacked?

I don't know...now it seems to me that The Bus was recalled because of information on it. I would think the assumption would be that there was nothing on Garrett's plane that she wanted information wise so why recall it? Or at least, why recall it first. It seems to me that Hand would have first attempted to contact Garrett and request that he come in. If he didn't then perhaps try to recall the plane and if unsuccessful then send in the drones. The key, a key (or not) may be Garrett's garbled transmission. Perhaps SHIELD communications were down but I would say, if you can recall a big 'ol plane via remote then the radio would work. Thinking as I go, perhaps there is another party that tipped Hand off (Fury maybe? Agent Hill? Etc) thus issuing a non response transmission to Garrett's plane and the drones were immediately sent in based on her intel from this other party. Just a thought.
post #935 of 989
There is another reason Hand would not want the bus to be destroyed: Fitz and Simmonds. Even if they were HYDRA Hand would want them in the lab. Closely watched, of course.
post #936 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

There is another reason Hand would not want the bus to be destroyed: Fitz and Simmonds. Even if they were HYDRA Hand would want them in the lab. Closely watched, of course.

Interesting.
post #937 of 989

I can get on board with the whole Coulson working with Garrett and Ward to infiltrate Hydra pretending to be the Claivoyant due to Hand being Hydra and the agents that have been killed so far are Hydra.  BUT they are setting Ward up for the redemption story/internal conflict so I think that is probably not going to happen.  HOWEVER, this could be something Coulson cooked up with Garrett and Ward is just following Garrett not really knowing the whole plan.

post #938 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

There is another reason Hand would not want the bus to be destroyed: Fitz and Simmonds. Even if they were HYDRA Hand would want them in the lab. Closely watched, of course.

Yep, except that she said to kill everyone on the plane except for Coulson.

IMO, the reason that she did that (and the reason that Garret was shot at by the drones) was to make us the viewers think she was the Clairvoyant and Garret was a good guy. I don't think we need to look for a deeper character motive. It was just so they could provide us with a twist.
post #939 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Yep, except that she said to kill everyone on the plane except for Coulson.

IMO, the reason that she did that (and the reason that Garret was shot at by the drones) was to make us the viewers think she was the Clairvoyant and Garret was a good guy. I don't think we need to look for a deeper character motive. It was just so they could provide us with a twist.

I won't say that's not possible but with the think-tank behind this production it's hard for me to believe that they'd give the viewer an intentional mislead like that to make the story work out. I would like to think they'd do something similar to the fight scene with Ward two weeks ago. They simply cut to Skye in the closet with fight sounds outside and Ward walking in moments later. Shortly after that Ward is all of a sudden a bad guy. They didn't show, for example, Ward fighting the bad guys and then later come back and say it was a fake fight. There would have been no need to do that because Skye was in the closet and we didn't need to see the fight.
post #940 of 989
The important thing about all this discussion is...we're actually discussing the show! Trying to figure out loyalties and motives, who is good and evil, where the storyline is heading...

Last fall, 3 or 4 episodes in, who'd have thought we'd even care? The show has done an amazing turnaround, imo. What once was a so-so piece of fluff has turned into something worth thinking about.
post #941 of 989
What I want to know is is this turnaround just part of a special x part series, or is it the permanent new direction of the show? A few teasers were touting this as "SHIELD Uprising" or some other cutesy name, which makes it sound like it's considered an "event" arc that will eventually end. If we never go back to the procedural formula of the early episodes, I'll be happy to stick around.
post #942 of 989
I agree that ultimately it's a positive thing that we're actually discussing the show. And not to pick it apart as in the early days. But not to worry, I'm sure the season ending cliffhanger will be something about award that will piss is all off and we'll be back to crabbing about it again. smile.gif

I also wonder about where they're taking it. Going back to that disjointed serial feel is not a preference of mine either. Frankly when I think back to the first half if the season it literally feels like a different show. Just like the comics, Spider-man compared to The Amazing Spider-Man for example Same characters but different portrayal of them and the story.

I figure this rag tag "we're still SHIELD" thing will continue on for a while. We have to remember there are still a couple of movies that this ongoing storyline will have to tie in to. The Garrett/Ward thing...should we officially call it Warret?, lol,....anyway, I feel that will result in a quicker conclusion than not but there will still be the who is Hydra fight I think along with rebuilding SHIELD. This is what I think will be the main drive of the show for a pretty good while with a smattering of supes here and there.
post #943 of 989
Agents of SHIELD will be the only insight in the next year (our time) that we have into the long term effects to the MCU until Avengers 2, because the only movie remaining in Phase 2 is Guardians of the Galaxy. It will be very interesting to see what the state of SHIELD is by the time of the events of Ultron, not to mention the rising of Thanos. Heh...even as I write this, it seems a weird notion to me that we are headed to a more fantastical view of the MCU since it has largely been so grounded in science and pseudo-science to this point...
post #944 of 989
When you think about it that's a lot of weight to carry to keep a consistent feel for the MCU storyline until Avengers 2. But right now they're carrying it well especially considering there have been no real movie character appearances.
post #945 of 989
Also, Deathlok is still on the loose (or did i miss something?).
post #946 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Also, Deathlok is still on the loose (or did i miss something?).

Yeah he's still out there but presumably no longer under "control" of the "Clairvoyant".
post #947 of 989
Ah! So if Ward stays bad, Deathlok could turn on Hydra and join Coulson and crew (if only to see if his son is provided for). Pretty good swap.
post #948 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Ah! So if Ward stays bad, Deathlok could turn on Hydra and join Coulson and crew (if only to see if his son is provided for). Pretty good swap.

You would think he would have enough of an ax to grind to turn against Hydra. Perhaps not "join" SHIELD but be an ally at least in the vigilante sense.
post #949 of 989
I have really enjoyed the twists Agents of SHIELD took when the show revealed that Garrett and Ward were not only not disloyal to SHIELD, they were the murderous minions of the evil Hydra organization. Seeing Captain America 2 last week also increased my interest in the TV show.
post #950 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Also, Deathlok is still on the loose (or did i miss something?).

And now so is Graviton. And whatever other little villains that were kept in the fridge from early in the season.
post #951 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Yeah he's still out there but presumably no longer under "control" of the "Clairvoyant".
Did someone remove the explosives package normally part of that bionic, texting eye?

v/r,
C-F
post #952 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

Did someone remove the explosives package normally part of that bionic, texting eye?

v/r,
C-F

I don't know about it being removed but as far as him being controlled by it I don't think it's an issue. One other scenario; however, could be that while Deathlock was "released" by the "Clairvoyant", should Hydra end up against the ropes at some point, they could perhaps reestablish a link to Deathlock (or however that would work) and get him to do their bidding against Shield.
post #953 of 989

But was he ''released'' is the question on my mind. Just because HYDRA has come out in the open, doesn't mean they'd cut him loose.

post #954 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

But was he ''released'' is the question on my mind. Just because HYDRA has come out in the open, doesn't mean they'd cut him loose.

That is in fact the question and I agree that it doesn't mean he may not be brought back "in service" to Hydra. For now it remains one of those unknown elements that the show has the option to bring back at any point. And I personally like having the possibility of Deathlock resurfacing in future episodes causing havoc basically against his will. At least initially.
post #955 of 989
Pretty much gave up on the show, but did catch the 2nd hour of last week's ep. I was a little surprised and didn't quite know what was going on. But seeing Cap2 on the big screen last night brought it all together for me.

I think maybe part of the reason the WS didn't grab me is, with such a big event going down in D.C., where's the rest of the Avengers? I guess for that reason, the movie was too ambitious, perhaps a little too epic.
post #956 of 989
I realize the title of the movie, and that Cap can take on an army, but the Avengers were brought together by S.H.I.E.L.D. (at least according to the films). I guess the rest of the group were out on other assignments.

This show could use much stronger writing, and shouldn't use the films as a crutch, IMO.
post #957 of 989
I don't plan to watch the Marvel movies any time soon. Maybe when they have it on HBO or Showtime.

I guess they alluded to Captain America beating back some entity in that giant screen?

Is it Hydra that they fight in the movie?

I know Fury was fighting for his life and is assumed dead by most except for the reveal in the last episode by Patton Oswalt.


BTW, it would be interesting to see if in the first episodes of the season (I actually missed the Pilot) if they leave the foundation for Ward being a mole/traitor.

Or did they morph the season arc (polite way of saying they made it up as they went along) towards the second half of the season to make him Garrett's henchman? Hell was Garrett in any of the first dozen episodes or even referenced?
post #958 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

I don't plan to watch the Marvel movies any time soon. Maybe when they have it on HBO or Showtime.

I guess they alluded to Captain America beating back some entity in that giant screen?

Is it Hydra that they fight in the movie?

I know Fury was fighting for his life and is assumed dead by most except for the reveal in the last episode by Patton Oswalt.


BTW, it would be interesting to see if in the first episodes of the season (I actually missed the Pilot) if they leave the foundation for Ward being a mole/traitor.

Or did they morph the season arc (polite way of saying they made it up as they went along) towards the second half of the season to make him Garrett's henchman? Hell was Garrett in any of the first dozen episodes or even referenced?

To say Cap was fighting Hydra in Cap2 is accurate though limited in description. And not to say it wasn't there but I don't recall anything early on tipping off that Ward was a baddie nor was Garrett in any of the earlier episodes.

I don't necessarily feel like there was a "morph" to the story arc for Ward. The creators said they knew this plot twist was coming since the very beginning; therefore, they likely planned it all out well ahead of time.
post #959 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I think maybe part of the reason the WS didn't grab me is, with such a big event going down in D.C., where's the rest of the Avengers? I guess for that reason, the movie was too ambitious, perhaps a little too epic.

It's an issue with all the movies that have come out after Avengers. Tony Stark's mansion was under a full scale attack in Iron Man 3, and no one came to help him. Thor could have used assistance in The Dark World. And Cap definitely could have used more than the Black Widow in Winter Soldier.

I guess the movies want to be like the comic books, where each Avenger is pretty much on their own in the own titles, but somehow that all have time to work together in the Avengers titles. wink.gif
post #960 of 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

It's an issue with all the movies that have come out after Avengers. Tony Stark's mansion was under a full scale attack in Iron Man 3, and no one came to help him. Thor could have used assistance in The Dark World. And Cap definitely could have used more than the Black Widow in Winter Soldier.

I guess the movies want to be like the comic books, where each Avenger is pretty much on their own in the own titles, but somehow that all have time to work together in the Avengers titles. wink.gif

This is pretty much a generally accepted concept amongst us comic fans. Having "The Avengers" show up for everything would simply get boring and lessen the drama. I think most of us plug in that they're on other missions/assignments to get reasonably comfortable with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.