or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Recommendations on a mid-level 7.2 set of speakers and subs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations on a mid-level 7.2 set of speakers and subs? - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Thread Starter 
Great feedback, made some updates. Added NHT and Ascend into the mix, also standardized the sub with a Rythmik LV12R across the board. Updated numbers are below, it actually 'closes' the gap across many of the 'possibles' making the selection harder. Again, I'd like to ask for folks opinions on which 'package(s)' they would choose if it was there money based on their experiences. Intended usage is 70/30 movies / gaming if that helps.

Yellow highlights can be ignored, those are my visual notes on larger dimension speakers or lower warranty manufacturers to factor in later.

Thanks again!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #32 of 38
You have Hsu listed twice with different pricing. Is there a reason for that?

I have heard the Ascends (used to own 340SEs, and current use 200SEs for surrounds), spent a lot of time with the Hsus, had the NHT Classic 2's in my room for a week, and recently heard the Arx A1b's. For overall sound with a sub, the 340SE's would easily be my first choice, and the Classic 2's my last.

Make sure you look at my sig, because some will say that I am very biased....but above is my honest opinion.
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You have Hsu listed twice with different pricing. Is there a reason for that?

I have heard the Ascends (used to own 340SEs, and current use 200SEs for surrounds), spent a lot of time with the Hsus, had the NHT Classic 2's in my room for a week, and recently heard the Arx A1b's. For overall sound with a sub, the 340SE's would easily be my first choice, and the Classic 2's my last.

Make sure you look at my sig, because some will say that I am very biased....but above is my honest opinion.

Curtis, I tend to agree with you. Do you know how close to the wall the 340's can be placed, and do they provide plugs for the rear port?

And, not to sound like a broken record, but I would take those horizontal center channels off your list and go with a matching vertical speaker for the reason I explained above.
post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You have Hsu listed twice with different pricing. Is there a reason for that?

I have heard the Ascends (used to own 340SEs, and current use 200SEs for surrounds), spent a lot of time with the Hsus, had the NHT Classic 2's in my room for a week, and recently heard the Arx A1b's. For overall sound with a sub, the 340SE's would easily be my first choice, and the Classic 2's my last.

Make sure you look at my sig, because some will say that I am very biased....but above is my honest opinion.

With the hsus it was because the subs were different and I should have removed the duplicity, my mistake. Totals don't match either so I need to look at that again.

Thanks for the opinions, that's what I am looking for!
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Curtis, I tend to agree with you. Do you know how close to the wall the 340's can be placed, and do they provide plugs for the rear port?
If they are crossed at 80hz, they can be placed fairly close since the port is tuned much lower...I'd say within a foot or even less. With today's auto EQ systems, it could be even less of an issue. I don't believe Ascend has any plugs available for the 340...although I would call to make sure and get advice on placement close to a wall.

Port plugging is a sticky situation. I think it is better to turn the port/enclosure into a aperiodic enclosure than a sealed one. Sealing a ported enclosure will cause a rise in the low end for the FR....then again, probably less of an issue with today's auto EQ systems.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Since you have an accoustically transparent screen, I would strongly recommend going with a matching vertical center channel (same speaker as your left and right) vs the horizontal center channel.

This graphic Bill Fitzmaurice posted a little while back explains better vs words:



As you can see, you get much better off-axis response as the sound has a wider soundstage.

And if you would like to read why:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs
While I agree with this, some just can't do a vertical center. For must, using a horizontal center shouldn't be much of an issue until you get to 20 or more degrees off axis.

Here is a followup article to the one posted above:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/center-channel-speaker
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

While I agree with this, some just can't do a vertical center. For must, using a horizontal center shouldn't be much of an issue until you get to 20 or more degrees off axis.

Here is a followup article to the one posted above:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/center-channel-speaker

Read both articles,good reads. For reference my seating area is within 20 degrees (and without a height restriction). I found it interesting to note that the second article still recommends, even in that case, to: "Consider 3 matching vertical MTM designs for the front 3 speakers if you can place the center channel behind a perforated screen."

So I need to go back and talk to each of the manufacturers to see if they recommend a difference center with that in mind vs what I have listed, and what price impact that would have...
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Updated the spreadsheet as I was able to talk to all of the manufacturers except BIC and get the standoff distances from the wall. ARX was the worst at 8" and that was with a port plug. Without the plug it was at least 12".

Again, please keep the recommendations coming to the ones posted, any feedback I can get on your opinions helps. Thanks!

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Recommendations on a mid-level 7.2 set of speakers and subs?