or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Battlestar Galctica (1979)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battlestar Galctica (1979)

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Picked this up today, looks really good!

2.1 Sensurround sound, looks fairly amazing on my big screen! You see stuff that you never saw before on the little TV back in 1979.

The computer display that shows the incoming Cylon fighters (green triangles) looks OMINOUS on a huge projection screen.

They said they didn't do any remastering really, but if they could do the whole series with this quality, i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I haven't watched the old DVD yet on my new system, so I don't know what it comes to. When its done (2 weeks?) then I'll spend time with it.
post #2 of 28
I didn't even know about this, and it doesn't look like many other people did: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62411
Pity it's just the pilot movie and a Best Buy exclusive (at least for me since I live in Japan where Best Buy doesn't ship), but I'll pick this up in hope of the entire series being released, so long as it's got decent PQ and isn't an upscale or anything.
post #3 of 28
The 2.1 is actually encoded as 5.1 with only the Left and Right channels playing anything.

Stupid.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
But the 2.1 is all it was...it is akin to mono on the Terminator.
post #5 of 28
No, I know what Fanboyz is saying... this "5.1 version of 2 channel mono" is definitely worse than traditional 2-channel mono. This makes it so your receiver will not send any information to the center speaker, since all 5.1 channels are assigned. If it were encoded as DTS-MA 2.1 instead of DTS-MA 5.1 then most receivers would kick in ProLogic (or similar) to assign dialogue to the center speaker.

So even though it's faithful to the original mono mix (which is a good thing), it ends up being annoying in a home theater context, since none of the dialogue is tagged to the screen; there's nothing at all coming out of that center speaker. If you're sitting off center in my home theater, your ears start to favor whichever speaker is closer, the left or the right.
Edited by steel_breeze - 5/15/13 at 6:37pm
post #6 of 28
Sounds like DTS MA 1.1 would have been the best way to go. Or at a minimum (for a 5.1 layout) putting the original mix in the center channel and have the left and right channels silent.

fyi: BSG 78 in its original Sensurround presentation did use some directional front/back effects via cue tones, but this has never been used for any of the home video releases. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround
post #7 of 28
Yeah but BSG the movie isn't supposed to be mono, it's 2 channel stereo surround with a sub. So Ideally, Universal should have encoded it as actual 2.1, then you could use PLIIX on it and be fine.
Instead Universal did what they do best- lowering their own bar.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Yeah but BSG the movie isn't supposed to be mono, it's 2 channel stereo surround with a sub.

If you bothered to read the previous posts in this thread or click on the Wikipedia link provided above, you'd know that Sensurround was a mono + subwoofer format. It was not stereo surround.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

Picked this up today, looks really good!

2.1 Sensurround sound, looks fairly amazing on my big screen! You see stuff that you never saw before on the little TV back in 1979.

The computer display that shows the incoming Cylon fighters (green triangles) looks OMINOUS on a huge projection screen.

They said they didn't do any remastering really, but if they could do the whole series with this quality, i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I haven't watched the old DVD yet on my new system, so I don't know what it comes to. When its done (2 weeks?) then I'll spend time with it.

Universal has the whole series ready to go on Blu-Ray. When they did the DVD release for the series, they did HD transfers/masters. Nothing fancy, but it is acceptable. You can see it on Netflix in HD.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Yeah but BSG the movie isn't supposed to be mono, it's 2 channel stereo surround with a sub.

If you bothered to read the previous posts in this thread or click on the Wikipedia link provided above, you'd know that Sensurround was a mono + subwoofer format. It was not stereo surround.


I'm sorry.
I only hope that you can forgive me one day.
post #11 of 28
post #12 of 28
There already is one user review saying DNR has been used and stronger on the vfx, one person's light DNR is my heavy DNR.
Being Universal I have lowered my expectations.

How many episodes is in this release?
post #13 of 28
It's the theatrical version of the TV pilot episode.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

There already is one user review saying DNR has been used and stronger on the vfx, one person's light DNR is my heavy DNR.
Being Universal I have lowered my expectations.

How many episodes is in this release?

It's just the pilot.
post #15 of 28
I bought it and watched some of it yesterday. I am very happy with it, and it is much better than any previous release. The space scenes seemed to have less DNR than the people scenes, but it didn't look overly done anywhere. Is it perfect? Probably not, but I am grateful to have it especially since I didn't expect it. It's way better than my DVD.
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
My thoughts EXACTLY.
post #17 of 28
I was blown away too. The vfx scenes look a lot better than I thought they would.

To the person saying it should have been DTSHD-MA 2.1 it is.....look on the label art.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post

To the person saying it should have been DTSHD-MA 2.1 it is.....look on the label art.

Regardless of what it says on the label art, the disc is encoded as DTS-MA 5.1 with only the left and right channels assigned (along with the subwoofer). Just pop it in and see what your receiver says. The better alternative would have been to encode it as DTS-MA 2-channel (with sub)... like the Shout Factory did with the original mix of HALLOWEEN II, for example.... or like Criterion did with the THREE COLORS trilogy. That way, the receiver could've sorted it out. But the label art is incorrect.
post #19 of 28
The audio doesn't bother me. It is the same as it would have been in the theater at the time. It's part of the nostalgia. The sub definitely works which is more than enough to cover the full range of audio.
post #20 of 28
I just want to make it clear that my problem with the audio is NOT that it's "mono (plus sub)". I absolutely love that it's the same audio as the original release, without any tweaks or modernization. I'm a purist, and always choose "original theatrical audio" when offered it. My only objection is that the mono is encoded in such a way that there's nothing coming out of the center speaker, and thus the "mono dialogue" isn't tagged to the screen as well as it could be. Not a big deal; simply an observation. I love this release, but have seen "mono" done better... including the previous 1.1-channel dvd release.
post #21 of 28
So since this is based on the theatrical release, I assume
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Balthar dies in this version?
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

So since this is based on the theatrical release, I assume
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Balthar dies in this version?

Yup.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I'm sorry.
I only hope that you can forgive me one day.

post #24 of 28
I'm watching it right now. The picture quality is acceptable. The spacecraft shots that have multiple ships look kinda bad but that's because of the original quality of the work and how it holds up on the negative. People shots look pretty good. Audio-wise, things are great on my 2.1 soundbar though the track can be a bit tinny, especially in the opening credits theme music. Jane Seymour is stunning in HD.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

The spacecraft shots that have multiple ships look kinda bad but that's because of the original quality of the work and how it holds up on the negative.

They were done by some of the same people who did Star Wars a couple years earlier, those that didn't migrate up to San Rafael as ILM. Compositing multiple ships with several passes on the optical printer will yield a lower quality shot, but still pretty much state of the art for the time. How do they look bad? Grain?
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

They were done by some of the same people who did Star Wars a couple years earlier, those that didn't migrate up to San Rafael as ILM. Compositing multiple ships with several passes on the optical printer will yield a lower quality shot, but still pretty much state of the art for the time. How do they look bad? Grain?

The VFX shots look fantastic; the best they've ever looked. And the contrast is handled just right; I didn't spot a single "garbage matte" around any of the models... unlike the DVD. There are a few instances when "mistakes" are still in the frame: a couple times you can see the motion control rods on the Cylon Raiders or the ghostly edges of gear that weren't properly matted out... but nothing that hasn't existed in all previous iterations.

I can't imagine these shots looking better, unless they did some revisionist tweaking like STAR WARS, which I'm utterly against. I wish we could get the original STAR WARS visuals re-instated and looking this good!
post #27 of 28
The audio is definitely screwed up. It gets worse the farther apart one's speakers are. My system has my mains flanking a 8' wide projection screen and I simply could not tolerate the "dual mono" sound. So I "fixed" it.

Ripped the disc and demuxed the soundtrack. Reencoded the 5.1 DTS MA track to 2-channel Dolby Digital at 640 kb/s with DPL II mixdown and the LFE mixed into the L/R channels. Worked better than I expected. It now sounds like it is supposed to. One note for anyone else that may try this, I use BeHappy to convert the soundtrack and the mixdown was quite low in volume. Had to boost level by 8 dB in the encoder to get it close to the DTS MA level.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBob57 View Post

The audio is definitely screwed up. It gets worse the farther apart one's speakers are. My system has my mains flanking a 8' wide projection screen and I simply could not tolerate the "dual mono" sound. So I "fixed" it.

Ripped the disc and demuxed the soundtrack. Reencoded the 5.1 DTS MA track to 2-channel Dolby Digital at 640 kb/s with DPL II mixdown and the LFE mixed into the L/R channels. Worked better than I expected. It now sounds like it is supposed to. One note for anyone else that may try this, I use BeHappy to convert the soundtrack and the mixdown was quite low in volume. Had to boost level by 8 dB in the encoder to get it close to the DTS MA level.

You can get the exact same results much easier by playing your original disc with your BD player set to output audio as stereo PCM. That's how I plan on doing it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Battlestar Galctica (1979)