or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma View Post

Pls ! Mine is also coming on next Wed ! Pls share the calibration setting to us !

I will be getting mine tomorrow and will use the Spears&Munsil disc to TRY to calibrate mine! It will be very interesting to compare notes with you on this as well.

My wife has been joking lately that the reason I got this TV is to keep from going out and getting glasses! LOL!!! But honestly, when you are sitting 11ft away from the TV, a little 32" set doesn't cut it!
post #1472 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I watched some of the NFL game on NBC (Comcast 1080i) last night, first network football game with A-team coverage.

I thought it looked very good on the 65". Any comments about the picture quality of the broadcast? Do you get networks in (i) or (p)?

I watched the game and I thought it looked great, it was a 1080i feed from Verizon fios. I did not notice any motion blur and the picture was very well detailed, I could see the veins in Al Michaels' forehead, it was a little creepy but excellent detail. In a still frame you could see pretty much everything, I was very impressed. This appeared to be a better feed than the college games I watched last weekend, but even those looked really good.
Edited by trab37 - 9/6/13 at 8:54am
post #1473 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post


Will the CalMAN 5 results be the rec709 standard? I thought these TV's had a wider color gamut and would be able to output better colors....

 

 

The Live Color option on this set is uncharted territory.  I am not a CalMAN expert, so I'm not sure that the software can measure a wider color gamut than Rec.709.  I will certainly measure and report on the standard color gamut.  And once I get the set, I'll be able to report back with more information.

 

The Widescreen Review has several screen shots comparing a conventional display with the Sony Triluminos display, and there is definitely a visible difference.  Whether it is an improvement or not, we are going to find out soon!

post #1474 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Can anyone confirm whether these sets pass 5.1ch back to the AVR through ARC? Or is optical the only option for that? My X1 movies have had some weird matrixing issues, and I suspect that may be the issue.

My 2013 W802A passes 5.1 back to the AVR over ARC, so I'd think these sets would do so as well.
post #1475 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post


The Live Color option on this set is uncharted territory.  I am not a CalMAN expert, so I'm not sure that the software can measure a wider color gamut than Rec.709.  I will certainly measure and report on the standard color gamut.  And once I get the set, I'll be able to report back with more information.

The Widescreen Review has several screen shots comparing a conventional display with the Sony Triluminos display, and there is definitely a visible difference.  Whether it is an improvement or not, we are going to find out soon!

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. Mine will be here Monday and I can't wait!
post #1476 of 7316
I just noticed tonight I cannot connect to applications in the all application section. I keep on getting the message 'this application cannot be launched because of server problems'. My Internet is fine and I'm able to connect to netflix without problems. But every other site I get the error message. Ironically I was using it noontime without problems watching 3D. Is anyone else experiencing this?
post #1477 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

I just noticed tonight I cannot connect to applications in the all application section. I keep on getting the message 'this application cannot be launched because of server problems'. My Internet is fine and I'm able to connect to netflix without problems. But every other site I get the error message. Ironically I was using it noontime without problems watching 3D. Is anyone else experiencing this?


same here
post #1478 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post

My 2013 W802A passes 5.1 back to the AVR over ARC, so I'd think these sets would do so as well.

I can confirm I'm only getting 2.0 PCM from both ARC and optical out. This is to an Onkyo 818

I can get 5.1 directly from my X1's 2nd HDMI so 4k movies are sorted, but no such luck for any of the TV apps - (i think - see above post since they are all down)
post #1479 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

same here

Yes, down here in South FL too, but odd thing is both Bluray 790's connect to all apps just fine.

Network update didn't do anything to help.
post #1480 of 7316
Sony rep said it's my TV since SEN seems to be running, and wants to change my internet settings. Naturally he asked me to go to 2wire.com which opened up a new set of communication issues. They really need to get their support people to lay off the "too slow connection" garbage.

I was waiting for him to say something about a hard restart, at which point the sound of a gunshot would have been heard.

Oh I mentioned others here saying no service, where ya'll from again?
post #1481 of 7316
I'm in Chicago
post #1482 of 7316
Lexington, KY
post #1483 of 7316
Sony rep said they would look into it. I told them we were on from different locations with the same problem. That helped to get them to check their end of the connection.
post #1484 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Sony rep said they would look into it. I told them we were on from different locations with the same problem. That helped to get them to check their end of the connection.

I'm having the same problem over here in Wisconsin.
post #1485 of 7316
same here in southern california.
post #1486 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I can confirm I'm only getting 2.0 PCM from both ARC and optical out. This is to an Onkyo 818

I can get 5.1 directly from my X1's 2nd HDMI so 4k movies are sorted, but no such luck for any of the TV apps - (i think - see above post since they are all down)

The Sony sets will pass through 5.1 dolby digital only, e.g. if I'm watching something in DD5.1 from my HDMI satellite box the TV will pass the 5.1 over ARC or optical to my Yamaha amp, no problem.

But anything else that's fed to the TV, like multichannel DTS (lossy or lossless) and multichannel PCM is downmixed to 2.0 PCM. Whether it's a limitation of ARC or Sony's audio processing ICs inside the TV I don't know for sure (though I'm leaning towards the latter), but it's not a fault with the X9. My 55HX823 was exactly the same.
post #1487 of 7316
Perhaps lossless audio over HDMI ARC is not allowed because of HDCP? I did a quick search and didn't find any statements one way or the other. Anyone else know for sure?
post #1488 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Perhaps lossless audio over HDMI ARC is not allowed because of HDCP? I did a quick search and didn't find any statements one way or the other. Anyone else know for sure?

I think you're on the right track. When I spoke with Sony rep asking (about player X1) why AUDIO doesn't appear at both HDMI (1) and (2) at the same time, they said because of copyright issues, it was restricted.

We both agreed that was silly, as if they were intentionally prohibiting you from making an audio recording of a movie you were watching? We all know the big markets in bootlegged soundtrack albums of "Total Recall." But, they said they were concerned about the second output being somehow corrupted to pass video too. The studios are completely obsessed with content theft, and I think Sony, being right in there, is trying to tighten the thumb screws as much as they can.
post #1489 of 7316
I wanted to post this here, but I'm sure many of you know already:

http://store.sony.com/c/S_Sony_Latest_HDTVs/en/c/S_Sony_Latest_HDTVs
post #1490 of 7316
"Applications" and SEN are working again, at least here in FL.

They've been out on Aug 28th and again last night Sept 6th. Hope they iron this stuff out.

I wonder why it only affected the TV and not the two Blurays here?
post #1491 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

"Applications" and SEN are working again, at least here in FL.

They've been out on Aug 28th and again last night Sept 6th. Hope they iron this stuff out.

I wonder why it only affected the TV and not the two Blurays here?

 

 

Lee, since I haven't received my new set yet, what types of apps do you use, and what do you access on SEN?  Just trying to build some excitement here...

post #1492 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post


Lee, since I haven't received my new set yet, what types of apps do you use, and what do you access on SEN?  Just trying to build some excitement here...

The applications (hitting SEN on remote or thru main menu) brings up your internet browser as well as about 80 assorted sites that are part of the main package with the television.

Sony offers a year of Netflix and Hulu for free with the television. There is also Crackle, and a 30 day subscription of Berlin Philharmonic channel, which I've continued to subscribe to. From what I see, there is no way to sort the apps in the main list, but as you go from one to the other, it stores the most recent sites in your favorites.

Scroll down on this link for a basic idea of what's going to be on the XBR:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?hideHeaderFooter=false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=STATICS_BIV_showcase#SENfeatures
post #1493 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

"Applications" and SEN are working again, at least here in FL.

They've been out on Aug 28th and again last night Sept 6th. Hope they iron this stuff out.

I wonder why it only affected the TV and not the two Blurays here?

AFAIK they're actually run on different software, servers etc, so if the TV streaming services go down it won't affect the BD service, and vice versa.
post #1494 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

AFAIK they're actually run on different software, servers etc, so if the TV streaming services go down it won't affect the BD service, and vice versa.

Ah, I didn't know that, and possibly some of the Sony people didn't either. The Sony after-hours number had me on the phone with Mumbai, and it was a very pleasant conversation with a level 5 4K fellow.

Despite him thinking it might not be solved until after the weekend, it was working when I checked SEN twelve hours later.
post #1495 of 7316
I bought a 55 incher...Wheres my free netflix? I am already a netflix member but i want my year free
post #1496 of 7316
How are you guys setting up audio for anything that plays through the apps? I have my media player hooked up to hdmi 4 and the separate audio hdmi to the receiver. Cable, game systems, PC are all running through the receiver and using then to hdmi 1. But when I play anything from the applications other than the 4k stuff because it has it's dedicated input, the audio I get is from the cable feed. Maybe I am overthinking it...but any input would be appreciated.
post #1497 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I wonder if the PS4 will only need a firmware upgrade as well?

I sure hope so. Yet, keep in mind that Sony kind of "hosed" us on the early (Phat) PS3 units. They had HDMI v1.2, but did not support bitstreaming of the high rez audio codecs (e.g. Dolby TrueHD) and therefore had to convert to PCM internally in the PS3.

Who knows what "surprises" are in store with the HDMI 1.4 in the PS4. Sony may decide to leave it with supporting only 4K videos at 30fps.


I have to say, though, that I am counting on Sony adding the Video Unlimited 4K service to the PS4 after launch. This would be ideal to use in place of the expensive 4K Media Server that Sony currently sells for 4K televisions.
post #1498 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by s9roo View Post

I'm struggling to get any local Sony Store to let me bring my Ps3 / Xbox in to test it and what with both new consoles on pre-order, I want to make sure it gives good performance.

Strange - in the Palo Alto Sony Style store they have two 65x900a's on display that have a sophisticated demo system hooked up to them, controlled by a big touchscreen tablet, that lets you switch between sources (e.g. live TV, Blu-ray) including the PS3. When I saw it, only the PS3 XMB was displayed, but I would guess you could stick a game in there and fire it up.

I have to say that getting very close to the TV, with the XMB static and nothing moving, there were some artifacts added by the 4K upscaling. I am not talking about the antialiasing of the text - I mean that separate but close to some of the icons you could see slight patches of stationary noise. Now, I had to walk to within a few feet of the TV to see these, so they aren't visible from a typical viewing distance. But I was disappointed to see them.

In any case, I wish that the TV had a 1:1 setting option for 1080p - i.e. that simply took each 1080p pixel and displayed it using four of the 4K pixels. This would avoid any conversion whatsoever. For consoles that run in 1080p (like the PS3 interface, some PS3 games, and the majority of PS4 and Xbox One games), I would greatly prefer that to upscaling.

I didn't get to see any gaming in motion (which is more important), nor did I get to see any gaming in 3D.
post #1499 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroveman View Post

Now I am being told that the 850 does NOT come with any 3D glasses and uses active glasses and the 900 comes with 4 sets of passive glasses and uses passive - can anybody else confirm this?

My 65x900a DID come with 4 pairs of passive glasses in the box. This is not surprising a spare set of Sony passive glasses costs only $10, even at a Sony Style retail store! Another note: the SimulView feature (two-player gaming on PS3 where each player sees a full screen) requires a special matched set of two passive glasses from Sony - I bought this from the same store for $20.

(My understanding is that SimulView on Active 3D TV's can use any pair of active glasses.)
post #1500 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

That said, the X850 models will be identical in terms of PQ to the X900. The only difference being the audio. This came straight from Sony HQ and has been the plan for some time.

I know that Sony is saying that, but doesn't the switch from Passive 3D to Active 3D imply that they are sourcing the panels from different suppliers? E.g. isn't the x900a panel made by LG?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread