Originally Posted by hatlesschimp
I really love the look of this tv but can I get some help on the following.
1. Can the 55" have its hdmi 1.4 upgraded to 2.0? If so is it a firmware or hardware replacement.
2. Can Displayport 1.2 be adapted to hdmi 2.0
3. Does the tv accept MST? Basically 2 hdmi inputs to create 60Hz 4k.
4. Who has hooked one of these up to their computer?
5. Has anyone used their Xbox or ps3 with it?
I have the cash ready to go but the hdmi 1.4 thing has me scared . Also my computer runs 3 gtx titans which easily handles the 4k resolution for gaming but I only have hdmi 1.4, dp1.2 and dual link dvi from the titans.
Also can people take some more photos I love seeing this tv!
I will try to answer the best that I can. In order:
1.) Yes, Sony has already announced that they will be able to have a Firmware update that will upgrade your HDMI 1.4 to the new 2.0 Standard.
2.) Don't know and no way to test this. Funny thing, I am wondering this more than anything. No Graphics card or announced Graphics Card has HDMI 2.0, but many have Display Port 1.2. Since the new HDMI 2.0 standard uses regular (decent) HDMI cables, I am wondering if a Display Port to HDMI adapter and then running it to the TV once the 2.0 upgrade would allow me to send a 2160p/60fps signal.
4) Yes, I have my rig currently connected to the set. It works very good, but since you are limited to 30fps at 2160p, for most games it is pointless. Having the computer output 1080p/60fps is BLISS. Since the TV does upscale, the image is a bit cleaner than a typical 1080p TV.
5) Yes. I have both a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii U hooked up to this set. I previously had a Sony XBR-929 55" Set and it is a great set and games looked really good on them, but once I tried my games on the 4k set, they all looked better. Even though I went from 55" to 65" and using the same seating distance you would think it would look a little worse since a bigger screen will show more jagged edges since it is bigger, but since the TV up scales to 4k, it looks cleaner than the games did on my 55" XBR929.
I also have a high powered gaming rig. I have the following:
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard
Intel I7-3930x CPU Overclocked to 4.8
2xEvga GTX-Titans Overclocked to 1100mhz
2x512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD's
1 1TB Samsung F HDD
1 4TB Hitachi HDD
16GB 2100mhz Ram
The Titans and the CPU are both running on a custom made Water Loop and my CPU never breaks more than 60c and my 2 Titans have never seen a temp higher that 50c!
Like you, I am also concerned about running 4k resolution at 60fps. Although I already have the set and love it, the fact that there are some questionable things with driving 2160p/60fps right now is the only concern. I kind of think the Display Port to HDMI converter should work, it is still up in the air because no one has such a set up and as of today there are no HDMI 2.0 4k sets (Panasonic's is for sale and shipping as of right now with HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.4a). For me, If it does not work, I will wait until someone makes a high end GPU with HDMI 2.0 and by then they should be faster than the Titan's (well if they are very high end GPU's).
I hope this helps. It is a great set with a great image and gaming looks fantastic on it. I did play some 4k games on it at 30fps locked and it was great, but I am so use to 60fps it was hard to cope. The games I tried were more slower action games that don't have to run at 60fps, but I am so used to 60fps it is hard to go to 30fps. So I am crossing my fingers, legs and any other body part in hopes that the display port to hdmi will work!