or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 68

post #2011 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Actually... has anyone seen the 84LM9600
It's the lg 84" 4k?

Any comparisons in PQ and Color to our Sony's?

Yes I owned one before I got the Sony 84". The LG is an excellent set. some have complained about 'banding' but my set had none and looked terrific as was the passive 3D. At 10K it is a bargain. Most retail stores have it a 14.5K.
Right now LG does not have any 4K content but neither does any other set maker except Sony. Go to their thread and read up on it, you will find there is some complaints of 'banding' on the early sets but not on the later sets.
LG came to their houses and replaced the panels of any who requested it.
Those that own it love it. It has superior black levels and excellent PQ. I would say the black levels are maybe just a touch better than the Sony.
Cleveland Plasma, one of the forum sponsors has about the best price for it.
post #2012 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

do you have the media player also connected wirelessly?

thanks!

Of course, the Media Player does not have its own wireless capability. I have it in my equipment rack, which is where my cable modem and router are, so it has a wired connection.
post #2013 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Of course, the Media Player does not have its own wireless capability. I have it in my equipment rack, which is where my cable modem and router are, so it has a wired connection.

yeah, that makes sense....I am on "information overload" trying to absorb all the data, info, web info, and owners manual before delivery on wednesday!
post #2014 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Yes I owned one before I got the Sony 84". The LG is an excellent set. some have complained about 'banding' but my set had none and looked terrific as was the passive 3D. At 10K it is a bargain. Most retail stores have it a 14.5K.
Right now LG does not have any 4K content but neither does any other set maker except Sony. Go to their thread and read up on it, you will find there is some complaints of 'banding' on the early sets but not on the later sets.
LG came to their houses and replaced the panels of any who requested it.
Those that own it love it. It has superior black levels and excellent PQ. I would say the black levels are maybe just a touch better than the Sony.
Cleveland Plasma, one of the forum sponsors has about the best price for it.


So if I read this correctly you actually think the LG has better black levels than the sony and in its own right an excellent PQ? May I ask why you spent twice as much and got the sony 84" and did not keep the LG 84"?

I am not trying to be rude but am in a similar situation on deciding between sony and LG...
post #2015 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I really love the look of this tv but can I get some help on the following.

1. Can the 55" have its hdmi 1.4 upgraded to 2.0? If so is it a firmware or hardware replacement.

2. Can Displayport 1.2 be adapted to hdmi 2.0

3. Does the tv accept MST? Basically 2 hdmi inputs to create 60Hz 4k.

4. Who has hooked one of these up to their computer?

5. Has anyone used their Xbox or ps3 with it?

I have the cash ready to go but the hdmi 1.4 thing has me scared . Also my computer runs 3 gtx titans which easily handles the 4k resolution for gaming but I only have hdmi 1.4, dp1.2 and dual link dvi from the titans.

Also can people take some more photos I love seeing this tv!

Thanks

 

Hi there,

I am also in the same boat as you with a super gaming pc. Said pc is about 80 feet away from the future sony tv I will buy. Having said this, I will use hdmi out of Titan 1 to go to the sony, and hook up my 3 ASUS VG Series VG278HE 27-Inch Screen LED-lit LCD Monitor

To DVI-I and DVI-D of the card, or the second card. Obviously I have to find an HDMI cable 80~90 foot long. This may be a problem.

From what i understand you cannot play games from a pc at more than 30FPS on the Sony. I also understand that the sony's up scaling capabilities will make that 30fps image much better than on any pc screen. I realize that now you are playing at 90~132 frames per second +, but the sony's image is unparalleled. A couple of guys in this forum can attest to this. Hawkmoon and Brianmundt both play from pc sources. I think Brian also uses Xbox.

It's clear that if you play first person shooters, playing on any tv may not be a good choice, due to the fact that the added real estate may be a distraction.

There will be an upgrade soon from 1.4 to 2, sony promised this (I think). This should allow you to play at 60 fps.

post #2016 of 7392
The other thing im considering is 1080p upscaled. Also how would nvidias 3dtv go on a passive 3d tv?

thinking these could get me through until nvidia and amd release gpus with hdmi 2.0.

Also has anyone had their tv upgraded to hdmi 2.0? The guy at the local electronics store today didnt have a clue about it.

saw the big LG uhd tv today. Its impressive! But 15k here in Australia.
post #2017 of 7392

I just found this article.

I wish I had not. Doubt grows with knowledge.

 

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-65la9700/4505-6482_7-35822956.html

post #2018 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post

Speaking of such, if everyone hasn't already, check these sony 4k handycam video samples, best ive seen in the 3 days ive owned the TV

https://www.youtube.com/results?gs_rn=27&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=5UujWocAXNjnwcCPr5wHHA&cp=10&gs_id=ls&xhr=t&q=sony+4k+handycam&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.53217764,d.aGc&biw=1920&bih=909&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=AU&sa=N&tab=w1

Very nice camera. I remember one line the Sony rep said:

"Come October, you can plug this camera into your Bravia TV with just an HDMI 1.4 cable and view 4k video at 60p"

I get a few things from this statement:

1. Since the HDMI cable is no different from 1.4 to 2.0, this is the anticipated release month for the HDMI 2.0 firmware update for our beloved X9 TVs.
2. This camera will also be released in October and comes with HDMI 2.0 already being a feature (or it has been released and will have a firmware update to HDMI 2.0 also in October!).
3. Both statement 1 and 2 are wrong and this Sony rep was smoking crack!
post #2019 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

The other thing im considering is 1080p upscaled. Also how would nvidias 3dtv go on a passive 3d tv?

thinking these could get me through until nvidia and amd release gpus with hdmi 2.0.

Also has anyone had their tv upgraded to hdmi 2.0? The guy at the local electronics store today didnt have a clue about it.

saw the big LG uhd tv today. Its impressive! But 15k here in Australia.

 

Nobody has had their tv upgraded to hdmi 2.0. Sony said they would do this by firmware update by end of 2013.

The only tv coming out now with HDMI 2.0 is the Panasonic 4k.

I also heard Sharp was coming out with a 4k but have no clue if it's hdmi 2.0.

HOWEVER !!

They both have active 3d...which I can't imagine gaming on an active system...the headaches!!

post #2020 of 7392

Ummm,

yet another review.

 

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-65la9700.html

post #2021 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I will try to answer the best that I can. In order:

1.) Yes, Sony has already announced that they will be able to have a Firmware update that will upgrade your HDMI 1.4 to the new 2.0 Standard.
2.) Don't know and no way to test this. Funny thing, I am wondering this more than anything. No Graphics card or announced Graphics Card has HDMI 2.0, but many have Display Port 1.2. Since the new HDMI 2.0 standard uses regular (decent) HDMI cables, I am wondering if a Display Port to HDMI adapter and then running it to the TV once the 2.0 upgrade would allow me to send a 2160p/60fps signal.
3) No
4) Yes, I have my rig currently connected to the set. It works very good, but since you are limited to 30fps at 2160p, for most games it is pointless. Having the computer output 1080p/60fps is BLISS. Since the TV does upscale, the image is a bit cleaner than a typical 1080p TV.
5) Yes. I have both a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii U hooked up to this set. I previously had a Sony XBR-929 55" Set and it is a great set and games looked really good on them, but once I tried my games on the 4k set, they all looked better. Even though I went from 55" to 65" and using the same seating distance you would think it would look a little worse since a bigger screen will show more jagged edges since it is bigger, but since the TV up scales to 4k, it looks cleaner than the games did on my 55" XBR929.

I also have a high powered gaming rig. I have the following:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard
Intel I7-3930x CPU Overclocked to 4.8
2xEvga GTX-Titans Overclocked to 1100mhz
2x512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD's
1 1TB Samsung F HDD
1 4TB Hitachi HDD
16GB 2100mhz Ram

The Titans and the CPU are both running on a custom made Water Loop and my CPU never breaks more than 60c and my 2 Titans have never seen a temp higher that 50c! smile.gif

Like you, I am also concerned about running 4k resolution at 60fps. Although I already have the set and love it, the fact that there are some questionable things with driving 2160p/60fps right now is the only concern. I kind of think the Display Port to HDMI converter should work, it is still up in the air because no one has such a set up and as of today there are no HDMI 2.0 4k sets (Panasonic's is for sale and shipping as of right now with HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.4a). For me, If it does not work, I will wait until someone makes a high end GPU with HDMI 2.0 and by then they should be faster than the Titan's (well if they are very high end GPU's).

I hope this helps. It is a great set with a great image and gaming looks fantastic on it. I did play some 4k games on it at 30fps locked and it was great, but I am so use to 60fps it was hard to cope. The games I tried were more slower action games that don't have to run at 60fps, but I am so used to 60fps it is hard to go to 30fps. So I am crossing my fingers, legs and any other body part in hopes that the display port to hdmi will work!

Hawkmoon, have you or anyone else tried running at 1080p 120hz, as seen in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438092/list-of-hdtvs-with-120hz-native-refresh-ability-forcing-1080p-120hz-via-dvi-or-hdmi-from-computer? I also have a multi titan rig and want to use this tv as a pc monitor and eventually upgrade to a hdmi 2.0 card. I also wonder if this tv can support 4:4:4 chroma at 4k which is a must for pc use.
post #2022 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

So if I read this correctly you actually think the LG has better black levels than the sony and in its own right an excellent PQ? May I ask why you spent twice as much and got the sony 84" and did not keep the LG 84"?

I am not trying to be rude but am in a similar situation on deciding between sony and LG...

Sure, I knew through a friend who knows a Sony exec that Sony was going to offer us HDMI 2.0 early on and LG could not say one way or the other. They still won't say so I didn't want that. LG offered no 4K content. I liked the styling of the Sony better and if I was going to spend that much money I wanted a Sony. There was also the issue of 'banding' on the early LG's. Mine didn't have much at least as far as I could see but on some scenes I could see a little especially in sky scenes.

However I have only good things to say about the LG. Does the LG have a good a PQ as the Sony? It's real close. If you have a choice between the Sony 65" and an 84" set, the 84" is the way to go especially with 4K. You don't have to sit as close with the 84" and gives a true cinematic experience. smile.gif
post #2023 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Sure, I knew through a friend who knows a Sony exec that Sony was going to offer us HDMI 2.0 early on and LG could not say one way or the other. They still won't say so I didn't want that. LG offered no 4K content. I liked the styling of the Sony better and if I was going to spend that much money I wanted a Sony. There was also the issue of 'banding' on the early LG's. Mine didn't have much at least as far as I could see but on some scenes I could see a little especially in sky scenes.

However I have only good things to say about the LG. Does the LG have a good a PQ as the Sony? It's real close. If you have a choice between the Sony 65" and an 84" set, the 84" is the way to go especially with 4K. You don't have to sit as close with the 84" and gives a true cinematic experience. smile.gif

Excellent, Thank you very much for the comparison!!
post #2024 of 7392
took delivery of my 55X900 on Friday, all excited only to be kicked in the gut upon noticing horizontal scan lines on all sources and inputs. This is not just on 3D (which I understand is normal) but on all 2D material. Defective set?
post #2025 of 7392
Doesn't sound good. Scan lines are not typical of the X900 sets, or it would have been discussed here. I assume you have more than one input source. Is it happening for all inputs, e.g. Satellite, cable, Blu-ray, etc.? Have you tried different picture modes?
post #2026 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

took delivery of my 55X900 on Friday, all excited only to be kicked in the gut upon noticing horizontal scan lines on all sources and inputs. This is not just on 3D (which I understand is normal) but on all 2D material. Defective set?

That does not sound normal. Have you tried different inputs like austinjerry suggested? It could be a bad cable or something causing it as well. But if it is doing it with different sources, different cables then something is off on the set. Like Austin said, if it was a common or even remote issue it would of been brought up in this thread.
post #2027 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

took delivery of my 55X900 on Friday, all excited only to be kicked in the gut upon noticing horizontal scan lines on all sources and inputs. This is not just on 3D (which I understand is normal) but on all 2D material. Defective set?

If it is happening on all sources and inputs like you say then I believe it is a defective set. That is a real bummer, I am sorry that it happened to you. I know how exciting it can be to get a new set like this and then have problems! mad.gif

Good luck with the replacement!!
post #2028 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

took delivery of my 55X900 on Friday, all excited only to be kicked in the gut upon noticing horizontal scan lines on all sources and inputs. This is not just on 3D (which I understand is normal) but on all 2D material. Defective set?

That doesn't sound good. You don't have any AC power cables running over the HDMI cables do you?
post #2029 of 7392

Guys

I just spent two hours with the 850, the model without spekers.

 

This panel is inferior to the triluminous display of the 9.

I did not like the 850 at all.

 

By the way THOSE WHO HAVE A 9 do this :

 

download http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8

 

put your set on Vivid, and simulated 3d HIGH ...

 

enjoy!!! it will blow u away !!

post #2030 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Guys
I just spent two hours with the 850, the model without spekers.

This panel is inferior to the triluminous display of the 9.
I did not like the 850 at all.

By the way THOSE WHO HAVE A 9 do this :

download http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8

put your set on Vivid, and simulated 3d HIGH ...

enjoy!!! it will blow u away !!

Glad I did not wait for the X850a and pulled the trigger for the 65F9000. I guess that deep black panel is not as good as the Opticontrast Panel.
post #2031 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post


By the way THOSE WHO HAVE A 9 do this :

download http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8

put your set on Vivid, and simulated 3d HIGH ...

enjoy!!! it will blow u away !!

Its 1080p, so yesterday tongue.gif
post #2032 of 7392
Hahahahah 1080P still looks much better upscale to 4k than regular 1080P....

But yes oh so yesterday!biggrin.gif
post #2033 of 7392
Are any of you (65X900) seeing a video level blooming when there is a fade up from black? The video level seems to exceed (for a fraction of a second) what is being broadcast. It is particularly noticeable on the fade up at the beginning of NBC Nightly News and also at 7PM on the fade up at the top of Hardball with Chris Mathews.

It seems like the circuitry of the set should be seeing and processing the correct video level before reproducing it on the panel.
post #2034 of 7392
I'm seriously going to get one of these bad boys soon. Im still doing my research.

I gave the Sony Centre in Melbourne a call today and asked them about the HDMI 2.0 update and he said him and some of his work mates had heard of something about and that its happening. But he could not strongly confirm it. He is in the process of investigating further and will send me an email with further details.

The lad also said that the New speakerless 4ktv is coming out in the next week or two. He quoted me a model number of X85504A but i think he meant X850A. He said that it had HDMI 2.0 already to go. Hmmm!

I really need this hdmi 2.0 confirmed by sony and not just a 3rd party website. I cant see anything on sony's website stating that there is a hdmi 2.0 firmware update coming.

The last question I need answered is there any difference between the XBR-55X900A & XBR-65X900A besides size in inches. Are the refresh rates, Motion Hz, color, etc all the same?

Thanks guys for your help! I cant wait to hook it up to the PC

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR-65X900A-65-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00BSREQI6

* An Internet firmware update to support HDMI 2.0 to accommodate 4K/60p (59.94/60Hz) video content will be available end of 2013. Requires that the TV is connected to the internet to receive the update.[/QUOTE]
post #2035 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
 

Guys

I just spent two hours with the 850, the model without spekers.

 

This panel is inferior to the triluminous display of the 9.

I did not like the 850 at all.

 

By the way THOSE WHO HAVE A 9 do this :

 

download http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8

 

put your set on Vivid, and simulated 3d HIGH ...

 

enjoy!!! it will blow u away !!

 

After spending a few hours with the x850, the X900a and the W900a, I feel the opposite.  The less reflective panel of the x850 is more appealing to me.   The content I saw didn't do any of them justice though.

post #2036 of 7392
I've come to the conclusion that I will be returning my X9... i'm bummed that it didn't work out for me and my viewing habits. I do about 90% directv viewing and I could never get it to look GREAT like it does on my bedroom plasma. I tried different hdmi's, different settings, but never got that "wow" PQ I got when I had the ZT. I'm thinking of trying the 4k LG that is due out any day now but I'm afraid that it'll end up looking the same same as the x9. I do think it is the source and not the tv thats causing my PQ to look washed out and soft so maybe it has something to do with the upscaling of directv content. The only thing I can say that looks great is CNN and anything on the 4k media server.... Might go back to plasma and deal the the IR or go with a non 4k LED. I don't know what to do... I'm just disappointed.... any insight to what I should do? Anyone return the x9 and go a different route?
post #2037 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I'm seriously going to get one of these bad boys soon. Im still doing my research.

I gave the Sony Centre in Melbourne a call today and asked them about the HDMI 2.0 update and he said him and some of his work mates had heard of something about and that its happening. But he could not strongly confirm it. He is in the process of investigating further and will send me an email with further details.

The lad also said that the New speakerless 4ktv is coming out in the next week or two. He quoted me a model number of X85504A but i think he meant X850A. He said that it had HDMI 2.0 already to go. Hmmm!

I really need this hdmi 2.0 confirmed by sony and not just a 3rd party website. I cant see anything on sony's website stating that there is a hdmi 2.0 firmware update coming.

Check the sony au website
http://www.sony.com.au/product/kd-65x9004A
Edited by everunman - 9/30/13 at 4:11am
post #2038 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I'm seriously going to get one of these bad boys soon. Im still doing my research.

I gave the Sony Centre in Melbourne a call today and asked them about the HDMI 2.0 update and he said him and some of his work mates had heard of something about and that its happening. But he could not strongly confirm it. He is in the process of investigating further and will send me an email with further details.

The lad also said that the New speakerless 4ktv is coming out in the next week or two. He quoted me a model number of X85504A but i think he meant X850A. He said that it had HDMI 2.0 already to go. Hmmm!

I really need this hdmi 2.0 confirmed by sony and not just a 3rd party website. I cant see anything on sony's website stating that there is a hdmi 2.0 firmware update coming.
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR-65X900A-65-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00BSREQI6

* An Internet firmware update to support HDMI 2.0 to accommodate 4K/60p (59.94/60Hz) video content will be available end of 2013. Requires that the TV is connected to the internet to receive the update.[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain this Sony statement applies outside of US/Canada, but (from Sony run forum):

post #2039 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

That doesn't sound good. You don't have any AC power cables running over the HDMI cables do you?

as mentioned I see this whether it's bluray, sat or OTA. I have quite a jumble of cables, so yes it's possible that the HDMI cables are touching the AC power wires. Will try correcting that. In the meantime a rep from the store is coming out to have a look. I've also contacted Sony via their customer discussion board...thx..
post #2040 of 7392
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

I've come to the conclusion that I will be returning my X9... i'm bummed that it didn't work out for me and my viewing habits. I do about 90% directv viewing and I could never get it to look GREAT like it does on my bedroom plasma. I tried different hdmi's, different settings, but never got that "wow" PQ I got when I had the ZT. I'm thinking of trying the 4k LG that is due out any day now but I'm afraid that it'll end up looking the same same as the x9. I do think it is the source and not the tv thats causing my PQ to look washed out and soft so maybe it has something to do with the upscaling of directv content. The only thing I can say that looks great is CNN and anything on the 4k media server.... Might go back to plasma and deal the the IR or go with a non 4k LED. I don't know what to do... I'm just disappointed.... any insight to what I should do? Anyone return the x9 and go a different route?

That's too bad, sorry it didn't work out for you. I know with my set I had to get the black levels set right before I got the 'pop' factor. Perhaps you got a bad set.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread