or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 77

post #2281 of 7156

TV just arrived...they are setting it up.

 

Manufacture date APRIL 2013

 

am I safe ? with HDMI 4?

post #2282 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I have encountered an obscure anomaly that I can't explain. You may recall that I have a Darbee Vision Darblet in the signal chain between my AVR and the X900. And recently, we have received the advice to pass a 1080 signal to the X900 in order to get the best PQ.

Here is the issue: when I pass 1080p to the X900, the X900 display immediately starts blinking off and on at a rate of several times a second. It is not an HDMI handshake (I know because a handshake would interrupt audio as well). If I change the input resolution to the X900 to 1080i, the blinking stops immediately, and the display remains stable. I don't perceive any PQ difference between passing 1080i or 1080p, so this is more of a curiosity than a show-stopper.

I know at least one other X900 owner who is using a Darblet (sorry, don't remember who). I would appreciate it if he could run a test by passing 1080p to the X900 to see if the problem manifests itself on his set as well. I would like to know if I have a defective set, or whether this is an issue I need to report to Sony.

Edit: I forgot to mention--when I bypass the Darblet, the issue goes away.

I am feeding my Directv to my Marantz AVR and then to my Darbee to the TV. I normally let the AVR detect what resolution my panel will handle (by putting it on Auto) and it puts out a 1080p signal. I tried both 1080i and 1080p and I see no blinking. My HDMI cable from the AVR is 10 ft. and then 3 ft from the Darbee to the set. The specs on the Darbee say up to 1080p so not sure what problem you are having. Perhaps it's an advanced color setting you may have.
Do you have an 'Auto' setting on the Denon, try that and see what rez your set is receiving.
post #2283 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I am feeding my Directv to my Marantz AVR and then to my Darbee to the TV. I normally let the AVR detect what resolution my panel will handle (by putting it on Auto) and it puts out a 1080p signal. I tried both 1080i and 1080p and I see no blinking. My HDMI cable from the AVR is 10 ft. and then 3 ft from the Darbee to the set. The specs on the Darbee say up to 1080p so not sure what problem you are having. Perhaps it's an advanced color setting you may have.
Do you have an 'Auto' setting on the Denon, try that and see what rez your set is receiving.

Unfortunately, since my 4520 supports 4K up-scaling, the Auto setting tries to send 4K, but the Darblet won't pass a 4K signal. Seems like the components in my signal chain just aren't meant to play well together. Regardless, passing a 1080i signal to the X900 doesn't seem to have a negative effect on PQ.

Thanks for the response.
post #2284 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

I won't know until my x900 is delivered and setup whether the Darblet will improve or degrade the picture. I do know it was something had not considered (I'm always skeptical of these type of devices) until I had seen one for myself on a friends 141 panel. Since then I have used mine on my 151, PZ70, and my E7100 and can see improvements in detail and clarity. Tough to describe, easy to display with the split screen. There are some demo pictures on the Darbee site you should look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

That is a fair question. The Darblet provides a picture enhancement to the image that carries over to the up-scaled 4K image on the X900. In other words, when you toggle the Darbee enhancement off and on using its remote control, you can still see the improvement on the X900, and the improvement is worth continuing to use the Darblet. Anyone who hasn't tried a Darblet, it is well worth the price, and highly recommended by all the Darblet owners in the dedicated AVS thread.

Its hard to comprehend that anything could possibly improve the picture on this tv; the 4k stuff through the media server is just crazy, and, I have a HD antenna hooked up just for grins, and the local channels OTA just floor me when I look at them; especially live sports broadcasts or news in studio!

I believe you guys if you say it actually improves this, but, I can't even fathom how it could...

I came from a 65 inch 3 year old panny plasma, and, I could see how that picture could benefit from some enhancement, but not this bad boy!wink.gifwink.gif
post #2285 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

TV just arrived...they are setting it up.

Manufacture date APRIL 2013

am I safe ? with HDMI 4?

did it have the media player sticker on the side of the box, indicating that the hdmi4 port had been "fixed"?
post #2286 of 7156

I just set up the TV with everything going through the Oppo.

Comcast normal channels (38 CNN) look really bad.

 

I do not think the Oppo and the TV are upscaling at all.

post #2287 of 7156
I would have everything running into the TV first, to make sure you were getting upscaling on all video signals..
post #2288 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

TV just arrived...they are setting it up.

Manufacture date APRIL 2013

am I safe ? with HDMI 4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

did it have the media player sticker on the side of the box, indicating that the hdmi4 port had been "fixed"?

Just speculating that it might not have had the board installed. It's possible Sony pulled some of the early ones back for the install. Mine was April also and delivered here on June 10th.
post #2289 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I would have everything running into the TV first, to make sure you were getting upscaling on all video signals..

 

Ok i will try

at the moment all normal comcast channels are out of focus..REALLY OUT OF FOCUS

I think they are 480p

post #2290 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Ok i will try
at the moment all normal comcast channels are out of focus..REALLY OUT OF FOCUS
I think they are 480p

go to HD comcast channels, dont bother with anything SD as it is horrible...
post #2291 of 7156

Horrible is not the word. They are completely out of focus.

How do i tell the tv to upscale?

 

How do you upscale the HD channels from comcast?

 

I can't find any resolution selections on the Sony...where are they?

post #2292 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Horrible is not the word. They are completely out of focus.
How do i tell the tv to upscale?

How do you upscale the HD channels from comcast?

I can't find any resolution selections on the Sony...where are they?

Quo, let's take one thing at a time.

Comcast box....Is it Scientific Atlanta? Does it show signal at 1080i on the front display of the box? Is the guide out of focus too? Does the TV (when you hit display) show 1080i? (I've got Comcast here and actually the standard def channels look pretty sharp.)

I do not think there is anything on the 65X900 that gives you selection of upscale properties, it just happens.

Is your set chipped for X1 or not?
post #2293 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
 

Horrible is not the word. They are completely out of focus.

How do i tell the tv to upscale?

 

How do you upscale the HD channels from comcast?

 

I can't find any resolution selections on the Sony...where are they?

if there is a resolution setting on your comcast box, use only 1080i and 1080p, turn native, 480, and 720 off.


Edited by vega509 - 10/5/13 at 1:23pm
post #2294 of 7156
Guys, every signal input to the X900 by definition must be up-scaled in order to display on the TV. There is no setting. An LCD TV MUST up-scale to its native resolution. So this is not the issue.

I would avoid any SD channels and only look at HD. SD always looks worse, so don't judge the X900 by looking at SD signals. HST, we have been advised to make sure the source, in this case the Comcast box, up-scales the signal to 1080 before feeding the X900. Make sure you have done that.

And lastly, remember that PQ is also dependent on display calibration. Quo, in a PM with me you stated that you like the Vivid setting. Please try one of the other settings, because Vivid is the WORST setting you could use, IMO. And you might want to spend a few minutes inputting the calibration settings I recommended.
post #2295 of 7156
cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post


Its hard to comprehend that anything could possibly improve the picture on this tv; the 4k stuff through the media server is just crazy, and, I have a HD antenna hooked up just for grins, and the local channels OTA just floor me when I look at them; especially live sports broadcasts or news in studio!

I believe you guys if you say it actually improves this, but, I can't even fathom how it could...

I came from a 65 inch 3 year old panny plasma, and, I could see how that picture could benefit from some enhancement, but not this bad boy!wink.gifwink.gif

OK, you have a misunderstanding. The Darblet only enhances the 1080 signal before it gets up-scaled by the X900. The Darbee technology only improves the quality of non-4K signals. As for the native 4K content, e.g. the stuff from the Media Server, the Darblet is not involved, so of course it can't improve the signal. I agree, it would be hard to improve a 4K signal, which is really beautiful.
post #2296 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Guys, every signal input to the X900 by definition must be up-scaled in order to display on the TV. There is no setting. An LCD TV MUST up-scale to its native resolution. So this is not the issue.

I would avoid any SD channels and only look at HD. SD always looks worse, so don't judge the X900 by looking at SD signals. HST, we have been advised to make sure the source, in this case the Comcast box, up-scales the signal to 1080 before feeding the X900. Make sure you have done that.

And lastly, remember that PQ is also dependent on display calibration. Quo, in a PM with me you stated that you like the Vivid setting. Please try one of the other settings, because Vivid is the WORST setting you could use, IMO. And you might want to spend a few minutes inputting the calibration settings I recommended.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Guys, every signal input to the X900 by definition must be up-scaled in order to display on the TV. There is no setting. An LCD TV MUST up-scale to its native resolution. So this is not the issue.

I would avoid any SD channels and only look at HD. SD always looks worse, so don't judge the X900 by looking at SD signals. HST, we have been advised to make sure the source, in this case the Comcast box, up-scales the signal to 1080 before feeding the X900. Make sure you have done that.

And lastly, remember that PQ is also dependent on display calibration. Quo, in a PM with me you stated that you like the Vivid setting. Please try one of the other settings, because Vivid is the WORST setting you could use, IMO. And you might want to spend a few minutes inputting the calibration settings I recommended.

 

Let me spend some time with this.

I only have standard and vivid and custom...no cinema 1?

The problem is not the colors...the SD channels are out of focus

post #2297 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

just wondering, why are you guys even bothering with a Darblet? Isn't the image you recieve via this TV already fantastic? How can the Darblet possibly improve this?

and, the more "links" in the "chain", would degrade the image, normally..


never had one, so I can't speak to it..

thanks

That is a fair question. The Darblet provides a picture enhancement to the image that carries over to the up-scaled 4K image on the X900. In other words, when you toggle the Darbee enhancement off and on using its remote control, you can still see the improvement on the X900, and the improvement is worth continuing to use the Darblet. Anyone who hasn't tried a Darblet, it is well worth the price, and highly recommended by all the Darblet owners in the dedicated AVS thread.

 

Sure if you can deal with a thread filled with childish defensiveness.  Don't go in there questioning the device.  Things will get emotionally charged in no time.  I am likely to purchase the thing, I'm looking online now, and yet I was called a troll for showing a before and after using a contrast algorithm as a means of questioning what it was doing.  Seriously, I'd stay away from that thread.  When mine arrives, I'll be sure to look anywhere else for info.

post #2298 of 7156
Skip looking at SD Channels!!

The Cinema picture mode is selected by pressing the Options key, then Scene Select. Cinema is the fourth selection in the list.
post #2299 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
 

 

 

Let me spend some time with this.

I only have standard and vivid and custom...no cinema 1?

The problem is not the colors...the SD channels are out of focus

 

another poster in this thread had the exact same problem and had arranged an exchange on his set before an answer was given. once the output from his cable / satellite (whichever) box was changed to output 1080 signals only his picture markedly improved. it only takes a minute to try.

 

good luck, and post back what you find.

post #2300 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

just wondering, why are you guys even bothering with a Darblet? Isn't the image you recieve via this TV already fantastic? How can the Darblet possibly improve this?

and, the more "links" in the "chain", would degrade the image, normally..


never had one, so I can't speak to it..

thanks

 

When I read through the patents, it seems to me that the bulk of what it's doing is successive subtractions of blurred versions of the original.  I think anyway.  It seems like an ingenious approach.  Whatever the finer points of what they're doing, they regard it as a kind of extrapolation up to 3D to determine how to enhance an image without it being the classic sharpen.  The reviewers point out that it does not fill with artifacts the fine line pattern test images (that calibrators use) the way that a TV's sharpening algorithm does.  If that's true, they pulled off quite an impressive feat.  I'll see soon enough.

post #2301 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Sure if you can deal with a thread filled with childish defensiveness.  Don't go in there questioning the device.  Things will get emotionally charged in no time.  I am likely to purchase the thing, I'm looking online now, and yet I was called a troll for showing a before and after using a contrast algorithm as a means of questioning what it was doing.  Seriously, I'd stay away from that thread.  When mine arrives, I'll be sure to look anywhere else for info.

The DarbeeVision technology is quite different from other PQ enhancements that you can find, even in high-end video processors like Lumagen. Even Lumagen has licensed the technology to enhance their sets.

I agree that the thread participants can be quite defensive. There really isn't that much of a requirement to go there. The Darblet is pretty much a plug it in and forget it device. People should try it with an open mind, and return it if they feel it isn't providing an improvement.
post #2302 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
 

Horrible is not the word. They are completely out of focus.

How do i tell the tv to upscale?

 

How do you upscale the HD channels from comcast?

 

I can't find any resolution selections on the Sony...where are they?

if there is a resolution setting on your comcast box, use only 1080i and 1080p, turn native, 480, and 720 off.

 

IIRC from when I had comcast, I believe it behaved the same way my FIOS box does now: if you're connected to an HD display, every SD channel gets converted to HD at the box.  They do that probably so that the guide at the bottom stays the same between channels and that the TV doesn't hit you with a bouncing flicker when you change channels.  I think DirecTV *does* allow you to send the SD natively to the TV to allow the TV to upscale 480p (etc.) to the displays resolution, and this is often suggested by folks when their TV does a great job at it.

 

I know my FIOS box is *miserable* at SD->HD upscale.

post #2303 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Sure if you can deal with a thread filled with childish defensiveness.  Don't go in there questioning the device.  Things will get emotionally charged in no time.  I am likely to purchase the thing, I'm looking online now, and yet I was called a troll for showing a before and after using a contrast algorithm as a means of questioning what it was doing.  Seriously, I'd stay away from that thread.  When mine arrives, I'll be sure to look anywhere else for info.

I agree that the thread participants can be quite defensive. There really isn't that much of a requirement to go there. The Darblet is pretty much a plug it in and forget it device. People should try it with an open mind, and return it if they feel it isn't providing an improvement.

 

Absolutely.  But being emotionally "rah rah go team" about a chunk of hardware is just childish.  It's a piece of technology that works or doesn't or does something in between.  If you buy from Amazon, you have little to worry about testing it.  I look forward to analyzing it myself.

post #2304 of 7156

4 k content from you tube looks good no doubt. It does however look better on my 144hz computer monitor.

The sound bar is what has impressed me the most so far...

 

I need to do some serious tuning now...see what this oppo can do

post #2305 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Absolutely.  But being emotionally "rah rah go team" about a chunk of hardware is just childish.  It's a piece of technology that works or doesn't or does something in between.  If you buy from Amazon, you have little to worry about testing it.  I look forward to analyzing it myself.

I think you will be pleased with it. As you know Oppo is using it now with their Oppo 103D. They do give you a remote and you can enhance more if you like of less if you want.
For me it seems to sharpen the background of the image. I don't notice much enhancements on foreground shots. I can see a difference when using it with my 4K set and find it effective for squeezing out the last bit of resolution I can get.
post #2306 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Ok i will try
at the moment all normal comcast channels are out of focus..REALLY OUT OF FOCUS
I think they are 480p

SD is going to look terrible on any 4K TV. Hell, I haven't even been able to watch SD on an HDTV--the softness drives me nuts. My advice would be to ditch SD and never look back. A TV like this deserves the highest quality sources you can throw at it. Don't expect it to perform miracles though.
post #2307 of 7156

Damn !!! Just my luck..

I activate netflix through the Oppo, and the first screen I see is either "NETFLIX" or NETFLIX KIDS"

I press netflix and a movie called "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK" starts playing. It's some kind of X rated movie...women running around naked (in vivid mode)....my wife walks in, and say's "Now i understand why you want a new tv"!!

I promised her it was unintentional, and Netflix was the culprit.

 

Having said this, Netflix looks pretty good on the x9.

post #2308 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

SD is going to look terrible on any 4K TV. Hell, I haven't even been able to watch SD on an HDTV--the softness drives me nuts.
I agree, there is one thing worse though, watch a VCR tape on any flat panel, I do not think it can get much worse than that !!
post #2309 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I agree, there is one thing worse though, watch a VCR tape on any flat panel, I do not think it can get much worse than that !!

lol. When I was in a Magnolia store to check out the new Panasonic 4k, the clerks were telling me that some guy brought a VCR to test out the 4k sets to see how they looked. They let him and they said they looked pretty bad.
post #2310 of 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Damn !!! Just my luck..
I activate netflix through the Oppo, and the first screen I see is either "NETFLIX" or NETFLIX KIDS"
I press netflix and a movie called "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK" starts playing. It's some kind of X rated movie...women running around naked (in vivid mode)....my wife walks in, and say's "Now i understand why you want a new tv"!!
I promised her it was unintentional, and Netflix was the culprit.

Having said this, Netflix looks pretty good on the x9.

That's funny, it's not an X rated movie though, it's a rated R original Netflix series. It's actually pretty good, I'm sure you're wife would enjoy it. As for guys watching SD channels..pretty much all SD will look like crap on all big screen flat screens. Crap in- Crap out. You guys bought a 4K tv, I would watch HD only.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread