or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 168

post #5011 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I hate to say it, but the top of the line roku, with a wired Ethernet connection, or wireless AC from your router, if you have one, seems to get the best through put from Netflix/Hulu, at least for me..

The worst throughput, at least for me, always, is from the native Sony TV version of these apps..I have a bd790 BR, and even that gets better throughput than the tv natively..

This suggests that the CDN that Jerry describes are the culprit; enough blame to go around. I forget the details but when I first got the set i was experiencing Apple TV had "great" bit rate for Netflix, but not the TV. As both where on the same network, either the TV HW or SEN was slow. Your experience also suggests SEN. Not sure what an Oppo would go through but seems like direct to Netflix, but the Oppo post I quoted would suggest that, given all that, the Apple servers either get favored treatment, or act like aggregators (Akema) and actually improve Netflix, or something. Heavy on the "or something" I suppose :-)

But I have done the obvious thing and flip between them and there are differences in streaming, and PQ. BTW the TV app might have had better PQ or before I figure out to use the "Crackle App" to adjust internet PQ setting, just snappier settings. SO many variables. Remember when a TV was just a display :-)
post #5012 of 7255
Speaking of PQ, watched "the Natural" last night DVR-ed from Encore on DirecTV and a) what a great picture we get b) that is tough sidelight test with the sea of black and then a bit of very bright as redford walks out of the tunnel. Also great Dynamic range test with the really bright backlight from the windows framing dark face. As expected our sets do really bright better that really dark, but for an LED very impressive. Very impressive. But these shots got me to fiddling, so I fiddled a bit with the PQ settings and got pretty close to Nirvana but never got rid of all the edge lighting effects and so on.

My theory that "black correct" fixed edge lighting is wrong. I do like the subjective effect (pop) however.

It be nice if Sony made a legitimate technical description of the setting so we could know what to adjust rather than speculate among ourselves what "advanced contrast" actually is based on the symptoms and side effects we observe.
Edited by jjnbos - 1/28/14 at 4:34am
post #5013 of 7255
I just played Example Short 23.976 through four different Netflix sources (Sony XBR 900A, TiVo Premiere XL, Apple TV, and Oppo BDP-105). I got a bitrate of 5800 and resolution 1920 x 1080 on all four, although the time to get to that speed varied, with the Apple TV getting there immediately. I have Comcast Internet (nominally 50Mbps, but tests consistently at 57) and all four devices are connected to my router via Ethernet cable. I did the tests early in the morning (about 630 am). I guess I should try it again during prime time.
post #5014 of 7255
yep, early in the am, the bitrates are likely to be higher than they are at 8pm..too bad, since not many of us are watching movies at 6am!!
post #5015 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJulyan View Post

I just played Example Short 23.976 through four different Netflix sources (Sony XBR 900A, TiVo Premiere XL, Apple TV, and Oppo BDP-105). I got a bitrate of 5800 and resolution 1920 x 1080 on all four, although the time to get to that speed varied, with the Apple TV getting there immediately. I have Comcast Internet (nominally 50Mbps, but tests consistently at 57) and all four devices are connected to my router via Ethernet cable. I did the tests early in the morning (about 630 am). I guess I should try it again during prime time.

Outstanding: a measurement! Thank you
post #5016 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

...since not many of us are watching movies at 6am!!

Since we seem to have an ice storm coming to New Orleans this afternoon, I might be watching TV rather than going to work. I was expecting hot weather down here and we get an Ice storm. in a swamp? isn't this sort of nonsense why we moved out of BOS?eek.gif

But seriously, I get the fast bits Cox promises (>100mbps) everyday and all day long (tested by downloading huge files not a possibly failed web site testing short burst), and almost always get good Netflix, but it did buffer twice for a few seconds SUN night using the TV app. Wasn't bad enough to fire up the ATV and fiddle...
post #5017 of 7255
it could be worse; my thermometer says 16 below right now...
post #5018 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

it could be worse; my thermometer says 16 below right now...

That's impressive. I saw -4F once in BOS, and when I was in grad school at Chicago late 70's we had <32F for the high temp all of JAN one year, but -16F bets my best and I go to Antarctica for work occasionally eek.gif
post #5019 of 7255
yeah, once it goes below -15, it just doesn't make much of a difference how low it goes.
We've had 10 days below zero in January alone this year...
Thanks for the Global warming, Al Gore..

Its only the 8th coldest day in recent times, in 1979, I enjoyed a -27 degree day here..

I feel sorry for you in NO with an ice storm coming, since you guys have absolutely no winter equipment/salt trucks there at all.
I assume they have closed the Schools, and most businesses in advance?

We've decided to move to Texas in the next couple of years, once the real estate prices get back to where they should be.
sorry for the O/T stuff
post #5020 of 7255
Who cares about your temps when I am struggling with standard definition on my Netflix!!! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Thanks for the Global warming, Al Gore..

Its only the 8th coldest day in recent times,


Isn't that exactly the effect of global warming?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5021 of 7255
I think Global warming is behind the Netflix issue...or, maybe its because of Obama care...

So many possibilities...
post #5022 of 7255
Seems like every single question i ask in this thread is ignored and spam bashed...

I guess its time to make individual threads pertaining to the same tv to add to the clutter of the forums...
post #5023 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Ive been using netflix through my tv cause my Apple TV is giving me problems and im having to turn my tv volume way high to be able to hear voices in netflix.

Is this normal, im on 73, if i were to turn it back to my cable box it would be blasting....

i take it outputting to my avr would take a additional optical cable...

Burts,

Load application such as Crackle, go Options>Sound>Volume offset> raise it to about 4.

This will raise all applications including Neflix to be louder on the preamp side to the TV. It will not affect other inputs, only apps.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5024 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Seems like every single question i ask in this thread is ignored and spam bashed...

I guess its time to make individual threads pertaining to the same tv to add to the clutter of the forums...

Burts,

You shouldn't take it personally, most, including me, will not answer if they don't know of a solution. Also, as the newness of the television wears off, people leave. There has been more "go" than "come" lately.

It would be best to search this forum for some of the keywords you're concerned about.

As an example of searching in this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?search=volume+offset&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=1473062&advanced=1

PS: I did answer your questions from 9/10 and 9/23.

Good luck,

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
Edited by LeeSoFl - 1/28/14 at 10:53am
post #5025 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

How do i output netflix sound to my avr? i been using my Apple TV for netflix but it buffers too much..

Not sure about this, but doesn't ARC from TV back to receiver carry app's audio?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5026 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

H.265?

Will we be left out for forking over thousands too early?

HEVC is still in question for first gen buyers. Read back in this forum to start of CES (early Jan) where there are a lot of posts speculating on whether we're in or not.

Could be TV needs s/w download, could be TV needs new media player with H.265.

Stay tuned.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5027 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

I seem to enjoy the general setting more then the cinema setting, is this normal? Cinema seems to make the picture more dull...

I was a fan of general until I was won over by Austin Jerry's settings in the Cinema mode. His suggested settings are at the end of each of his posts.

I still tend to use general for hockey games, and probably Sunday's Superbowl too.


Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5028 of 7255
whew, I'm tired.


Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5029 of 7255
The new media box coming later this year will include an H.265 decoder, so early adopters won't be left out in the cold. Saw this on Sony's CES press conference when they were talking about the new TV models coming out soon.
post #5030 of 7255
Hmmm. Perhaps that's why Sony didn't bother with the mk.1 media player outside of the US, they were testing it on y'all and waiting for HEVC to come along before making their play elsewhere.

I'm still holding out for 4K Blu-ray, but it'd better come along soon otherwise it'll find itself battling for position in a crowded 4K marketplace, which will do for 4K what all those exclusives and non-compatible glasses did for 3D: kill it at birth.

That said, there's still scope for a 4K Blu-ray + streamer/downloader all-in-one kinda deal.
post #5031 of 7255
Thank you Lee👍

Really appreciate it
post #5032 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

HEVC is still in question for first gen buyers. Read back in this forum to start of CES (early Jan) where there are a lot of posts speculating on whether we're in or not.

Could be TV needs s/w download, could be TV needs new media player with H.265.

Stay tuned.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

I would think this really depends on the CPU that in these sets. I haven't found a whole lot of info on that - I know other brands brag about 4-core CPUs and what that does for apps, etc. Sony's marketing doesn't really touch that. Does anyone know what's in here? Because knowing that would help us understand if this guy can decode HVEC/h.265.

That being said, I would guess most people that have one of these sets have one device attached to it that are also media players (next-gen consoles, Apple TV, etc) - so waiting for Sony to tell us vs one of those guys shouldn't matter much. Just a matter of time.

-t
post #5033 of 7255

This is the answer that Sony Italy - Press Office gave to me in response to my question about the future strategies of Sony for early adopters of 4K TVs, in particular for the possibility that our sets will be upgraded to the HEVC - H.265 codecs support:

 

"Dear Andrew,

 

when new content and services that require this new codec will be available, Sony will provide its customers with the solutions they need to access them."

 

yeah, we'll see....

post #5034 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

This is the answer that Sony Italy - Press Office gave to me in response to my question about the future strategies of Sony for early adopters of 4K TVs, in particular for the possibility that our sets will be upgraded to the HEVC - H.265 codecs support:

"Dear Andrew,

when new content and services that require this new codec will be available, Sony will provide its customers with the solutions they need to access them."

yeah, we'll see....



Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5035 of 7255
well, my new 55x900A was delivered last weekend and i had a bit of time to play with it. I was extremely lucky that the uniformities on this set are near perfect! inky blacks, no clouding or edge bleed whats so ever on dark scenes, even on 3D mode. I was nervous at first because i've seen other horror stories on line but i was very fortunate. Now, There is however that same issue present i traded my original set to begin with, but not as obvious. The issue is, When objects move fast in dark scenes, such as people, the hair line or edge sometimes looks red. Once you notice it it can be very distracting. I am convinced this had something to do with the lastest updates because my old set was perfect before the last few changes done to the tv last month. The defect was far more noticeable on the last tv, but it is still there on this one. Since most of you have the 65", can you guys see this issue on your tv? or is this another unfortunate issue plagued on only 55" owners as well? i read here that a couple of other people have experienced the same thing on their sets and beign that this is my second, i think its not just me complaining. I am ussing the cinema 1 settings on nearly all my inputs which makes the issue less noticeable, but at this price point, i would expect the set to perform better. Im not using the vivid mode, or "torch mode" to just say its the over saturaded setting that's at fault, so why is this happening? Other than that, the picture quality looks stunning! I hope sony reads this and trys to send an update of some sort to try correct the problem because other than that its an outstanding tv and i love it. Feed back is greatly appreciated smile.gif
post #5036 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

well, my new 55x900A was delivered last weekend and i had a bit of time to play with it. I was extremely lucky that the uniformities on this set are near perfect! inky blacks, no clouding or edge bleed whats so ever on dark scenes, even on 3D mode. I was nervous at first because i've seen other horror stories on line but i was very fortunate. Now, There is however that same issue present i traded my original set to begin with, but not as obvious. The issue is, When objects move fast in dark scenes, such as people, the hair line or edge sometimes looks red. Once you notice it it can be very distracting. I am convinced this had something to do with the lastest updates because my old set was perfect before the last few changes done to the tv last month. The defect was far more noticeable on the last tv, but it is still there on this one. Since most of you have the 65", can you guys see this issue on your tv? or is this another unfortunate issue plagued on only 55" owners as well? i read here that a couple of other people have experienced the same thing on their sets and beign that this is my second, i think its not just me complaining. I am ussing the cinema 1 settings on nearly all my inputs which makes the issue less noticeable, but at this price point, i would expect the set to perform better. Im not using the vivid mode, or "torch mode" to just say its the over saturaded setting that's at fault, so why is this happening? Other than that, the picture quality looks stunning! I hope sony reads this and trys to send an update of some sort to try correct the problem because other than that its an outstanding tv and i love it. Feed back is greatly appreciated smile.gif

I also hit the jackpot with screen uniformity on my 65". None of the issues reported here. I do not see red edge during motion.
post #5037 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

We've had 10 days below zero in January alone this year...
Thanks for the Global warming, Al Gore..

Don't want to start a huge global warming flame war, but I do feel it's time to stand up for the truth: global warming is a fact. People cause it. Even the oil and insurance companies have acknowledged this.

As far as cold weather goes, the expected result is, as Lee points out, increased variability in WEATHER and increased heat in CLIMATE. Climate being the long term average of weather. That's an important distinction.

The stock market goes up and it goes down on a daily basis. Everyday some stocks are up, others down, and everyday that mix is different. What does that prove? Hopefully you agree, not too much. If an individual company's stock is going up and down on a daily basis, but trending steadily down year after year; what would the smart conclusion be? end of sermon.
post #5038 of 7255

Here is some food for thought.

 

Quite frankly, my Netflix looks quite poor. Dark scenes are pixel-tearing-full. Super HD my posterior.

During peak hours Apple tv has a motion judder thing going on. The picture is not that great anyway. Dark scenes look awful.

 

The only good quality stuff I can see on this Tv are blu ray movies, and some Comcast HD channels. But then again, blue rays look great on almost every other Tv!

 

I am wondering if we are not all idiots for having purchased this $5,500 tv, when any other "normal" tv would have looked perfectly fine with the poor quality of streaming services provided?

 

In hindsight, remember the time we saw this Tv with the Sony advertisement in red with the little girl? It was in 4k and looked super-stunning. How many people have been conned by those visuals?

Those are the visuals which led me to perform an "impulse buy". An educated "impulse buy", because I read the whole forum before buying the Tv. 

I think that reading the forum was the "justification" portion of the purchase I was about to perform.

 

At that time, little did I know, that I would never see any quality come close to the "little girl in red".

 

I'm wondering, if instead of the 4k elusive blue-bird-of-happiness, I should not have purchased a lesser quality Tv at 80". There is definitely no "con" on the 80". They are real inches!

 

I will always remember early on in the forum, reading a post of a guy saying that Sony's flagship of last year, looked just as good as this tv, and we we were all idiots for falling for the 4k version.

I also remember the resentment I had toward the person posting such nonsense!?

 

Comments!?

post #5039 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Here is some food for thought.

I am wondering if we are not all idiots for having purchased this $5,500 tv, when any other "normal" tv would have looked perfectly fine with the poor quality of streaming services provided?

Comments!?

It has crossed my mind that I should have waited get the second generation. The bleeding edge is always painful; but I don't regret being the egg that the industry needs to grow a chicken so we'll get 4k content; or something like that :-)

I do think the expanded color gamut and all that jazz is great even on 1080p, which is in short supply itself as you point out. Every time I see some local content shot on 240i or whatever, I get annoyed.

You can get all the stuff on our set on a great 1080p set. But they cost almost as much as a 4k set. And IMHO 1080p does look better on this set because of the upscaling. I'll wager they designed this set when they thought 1080p in 3d (aka 2160p) would be huge. But 3d was a flop, and my 55" doesn't do 3d (correctly) :-( That broken 3D sticks in my craw even if I never watch 3d.

But if it turns out 4k is a flop, I'll still have great 1080p, but at a cost of 1/3 extra or something. Not best outcome, or the best use of money, but not the end of the world (for that see my global warming rant).

I will say that the sound is SOOOO good that the Wife Approval Factor (WAF) was no problem even for a huge TV taking over the living room because we punted the AV system and cleaned up the wall. So I'd be content if nothing changes, but I agree we need some content...
Edited by jjnbos - 2/1/14 at 12:37am
post #5040 of 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post


I am wondering if we are not all idiots for having purchased this $5,500 tv, when any other "normal" tv would have looked perfectly fine with the poor quality of streaming services provided?

I sometimes have this thought as well. However, I was a very early adopter of HDTV (pre-1080p even) - and all the frustrations of watching low-res content on a high res screen I had back then are coming back to me... I get to see all the cheats that the broadcasters take with 'HD', etc. I'm just hopeful (and eager) that 4k content will help put all these feelings away once it does come. And this TV was still a major upgrade over the Mitsu DLP I had been watching for the past 8 years. I knew what I was getting into - early adopters have such first world problems. I was thinking that Sony would have PS4 4k streaming online by now, but no word on when that is going to happen... That being said, my streaming content has looked very good - almost as good as blu-ray in some cases (local AppleTV mp4 streaming and Netflix SuperHD). For non-broadcast content, this set is great in my opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread