or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 180

post #5371 of 7320
I don't see any difference with motion flow except film content which introduces the dreaded soap opera effect. Sometimes I don't mind it. Sometimes it looks like a cheap production. Oddly I like it better when watching 4k content from the X1. I do experiment with it in 3d as I mentioned because I can't decide if it provides more depth. In any case, my Darbee helps more in this regard.

Cinemotion? Have no clue what it's supposed to do and never see any difference.
post #5372 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Right up there with yuppy coffee first thing in the morning and smoked ribs Saturday afternoon….

Truly.

Yes, I have heard that there are good smoked meats to be had in N.O. Of course, we are no slouches in that area either!
post #5373 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I second that! On the S&M test disk, it's easy to see differences with a 1080p24 image,

In real life (Directv and BD) i don't see any difference for most of the motion flow settings.

Impluse is very dark, Smooth gives a fake 3d sort of look, but motion flow Clear is what I use when Im not using Standard which looks the same as….

CineMotion has no effect on anything that I can tell either; on "real" sources. Can you find some test to show a difference? I bet you can. And while I have no doubt that 240Hz matters to somebody, local dimming and 4096 vs 3840 so on to others , etc, etc, etc, but this is IMHO the only set to own.

Even if it did cost me $4k just to watch beer commercials in 1080p, I love this set and have never seen a picture that -I- like better. It's one of the few reliable joys in my daily life. Right up there with yuppy coffee first thing in the morning and smoked ribs Saturday afternoon….

Truly.

I had an argument with some PC fan on Reddit last night when I claimed upscaled PS4 1080p looked stunning on my 4k set. He said that it was just the same as any 1080p set, forming one pixel out of 4.

My reply:
A quality upscaling video processing chip can't pull information that isn't there but it can derive missing data - it is not simply presenting 4:1 pixels.

Hope I wasn't way off. Lol.
He didn't respond.
post #5374 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

Actually, I downloaded the files and noticed a lot of what I thought were compression artifacts as I did playing it on the Youtube player in Chrome. I looked at the codec info and discovered that these files were no 3840x2160, but rather 4096x2160. I did have that option as a resolution in my Display settings, so I chose that and a lot of them were gone. A couple of the videos I downloaded still exhibit these 'artifacts' - so I'm starting to think its the source video in these cases. But most are pretty darn clear - in particular Postcard from Innsbrook and World Outside My Window.

I'm also trusting that my Macbook switched over to the 'performance' graphics card and isn't using the Intel graphics...

Now I think I have somewhat decent demo material for people that visit. smile.gif

"Barcelona in 4K" is also pretty good.
post #5375 of 7320
6" from bottom 16" horizontal and 12" vertical
post #5376 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Even if it did cost me $4k just to watch beer commercials in 1080p, I love this set and have never seen a picture that -I- like better. It's one of the few reliable joys in my daily life. Right up there with yuppy coffee first thing in the morning and smoked ribs Saturday afternoon….

Truly.

Well, I hate coffee and don't get many ribs 'round these parts, but I totally agree with the rest of your post. It's a cracking TV. That said....

...I do just wanna reiterate that I see the blurring that people are talking about (on my 55X9). Though I think it's important to make the distinction between the mediocre response time of the panel and actual motion blur, because you can fudge with the motionflow settings all you want - designed as they are to remove judder in the source material - but it can't cure the slightly laggy blacks because they're inherent to the performance of the 55" panel itself. As someone said above, it's extremely noticeable on 2D animated material (been watching Archer S4 myself) but in my experience it's all but imperceptible on live action content. YMMV.

Anyhoo, I've recently recalibrated my set after updating HCFR, and I'm getting some seriously good results. I mean, it was good before, but now it's friggin' spectacular thanks to whatever's been changed in HCFR and how it interprets readings. I've been experimenting with the Live Colour, too. What gave me diabolical colour and greyscale readings previously is now well within the bounds of respectability, and it has one very nifty bonus which I'll get to in a minute. With LC off I got an average delta error of 0.58 for the primaries and secondaries, with LC set to Low the average becomes 2.4 with no one colour going over 3 (which is said to be the mark below which colour variances become invisible to the human eye anyway).

But the odd thing is how it affects gamma, as it makes 10% and 20% grey start off waaay down which then curves upwards and levels out from about 30% onwards. Why is this relevant? Because it kinda mimics the action of BT.1886, that trendy new gamma which all the hip kids are using these days. Instead of a flat 2.2, 2.3 or whatever, it gives darker tones more stimulus without blowing out the midtones or highlights. Unfortunately we couldn't actually do a proper BT.1886 calibration even if we wanted to, because we need a 10 point CMS rather than the simplistic 2 point white balance control in Sony TVs. The measured values don't match up to the BT.1886 calculations provided in HCFR so I'm not claiming that it's an accurate representation of BT.1886 by any means, but it's enough to give you a little taste of it.
post #5377 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Yes, I have heard that there are good smoked meats to be had in N.O. Of course, we are no slouches in that area either!

If you want decent Q, NOLA wouldn't be my first choice; but home cooked in a Big Green Egg works very well.

Franklin really is the best brisket in America, so we fly in to Austin for that treat once and a while.
post #5378 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I had an argument with some PC fan on Reddit last night when I claimed upscaled PS4 1080p looked stunning on my 4k set. He said that it was just the same as any 1080p set, forming one pixel out of 4.

My reply:
A quality upscaling video processing chip can't pull information that isn't there but it can derive missing data - it is not simply presenting 4:1 pixels.

Hope I wasn't way off. Lol.
He didn't respond.

You are absolutely correct. If they simply "replicated" pixels (4:1) it would look like a 2K set, but they don't :-)
post #5379 of 7320
have you guys checked out the new free short clips in 4k added to the x1 recently? they look AWEsome to say the least! smile.gif its great to see the full potential of these 4k tvs when displaying true 4k content.
post #5380 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post


Anyhoo, I've recently recalibrated my set after updating HCFR, and I'm getting some seriously good results.

Geoff, will you be sharing specifics regarding your new calibration? How is HCFR different/better than a non-freeware solution like CalMAN?
post #5381 of 7320
Hey guys, so I'll ask again since no one answered my post on last page. I'm in the market to buy the 65x900a. In Australia I can get it for 5200. Should I wait for the new model or maybe go the vt60 panny plasma for 3400. I already have a 55hx925 which is amazing. I'm due to purchase next week. Please help me
post #5382 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixvegas View Post

Hey guys, so I'll ask again since no one answered my post on last page. I'm in the market to buy the 65x900a. In Australia I can get it for 5200. Should I wait for the new model or maybe go the vt60 panny plasma for 3400. I already have a 55hx925 which is amazing. I'm due to purchase next week. Please help me

I believe you should wait for 65x900B. It will have the H.265 codec, HDMI 2.0 and The Extended Dynamic Range. If you get the current X900A at some point you will have to probably purchase a media player similar to the X1 so that your TV will have the latest updates and be able to receive streaming 4K video. It appears U will definitely need H.265 codec as that's the standard for 4K streaming. This also means U will have another box in your entertainment center. Now, the release date for the new sets in the US is Late Spring or early Summer so you may have a few months to wait. If you can't wait, get the X900A, you will love the PQ and just purchase the upgraded media center. It appears the H.265 can't be done by a software upgrade like the HDMI 2.0. It's a separate chip. BTW, what's the regular price for the set in AU. If it's a substantial discount, get it. U can't go wrong.
post #5383 of 7320
I am not a fan of plasmas. I don't like dark pictures. I like my set bright.
post #5384 of 7320
They are still retailing for 5999. The best I had done before was 5800, but yesterday got it down to 5200 with a little more room to move. The new model is due for release in May/ June. I'm not big on down loading content. Mainly just want a great picture for bluray, gaming and the occasional hd movie off unlimited. My onkyo amp atm does not support 4k pass through so I will upgrade that when more content becomes available. I just want a bigger, better picture than my current 55hx925, 929 US equivalent. Cheers
post #5385 of 7320
I've run out of HDMI inputs on the TV.

Any recommendations for a HDMI switch with 4k pass thru?

Hopefully something that a Harmony can control remotely.

Don't need an AVR, but if its cheaper than a switch...
post #5386 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I've run out of HDMI inputs on the TV.

Any recommendations for a HDMI switch with 4k pass thru?

Hopefully something that a Harmony can control remotely.

Don't need an AVR, but if its cheaper than a switch...

I'm in the same boat. I actually resorted to putting devices on Component video if they have it and prioritized HDMI for devices that have only that onboard (which tend to be the newer devices). At some point I'll pick up an AVR - but only after HDMI 2.0 Yamaha's are on the market. (maybe they are by now?) I had an old HDMI 1.2 switch and it mostly worked with the Harmony One back in the day. I can look for it in the pile of retired gear and grab the brand name for you if you wish. I specifically picked it up since it had an IR remote.
post #5387 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I've run out of HDMI inputs on the TV.

Any recommendations for a HDMI switch with 4k pass thru?

Hopefully something that a Harmony can control remotely.

Don't need an AVR, but if its cheaper than a switch...

Also - FWIW - found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-DVDOQUICK6-MIR-Quick6-Ultra-Switcher/dp/B00BWE3KSM

Not HDMI 2.0 - but maybe doesn't matter too much now? (but non-HDMI 2.0 devices on it?)
post #5388 of 7320
Hello :

I explained how to mount this TV on the wall in post number 5365 on page 179. Follow these instructions and you can mount this TV on the wall. I have mounted quite a few using this method. It works. When the TV arrives at your house mount it you can take the dimensions then.

LOL,

Norm L
post #5389 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

Also - FWIW - found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DVDO-DVDOQUICK6-MIR-Quick6-Ultra-Switcher/dp/B00BWE3KSM

Not HDMI 2.0 - but maybe doesn't matter too much now? (but non-HDMI 2.0 devices on it?)

Aint got no HDMI 2, so this would definitely get the job done. Thanks so much for the tip!
post #5390 of 7320
Don't know about anyone else, but I was so hungry after watching this:

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/4K-Chimei-inn-60mbps.mp4
post #5391 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos View Post


I believe you should wait for 65x900B. It will have the H.265 codec, HDMI 2.0 and The Extended Dynamic Range. If you get the current X900A at some point you will have to probably purchase a media player similar to the X1 so that your TV will have the latest updates and be able to receive streaming 4K video. It appears U will definitely need H.265 codec as that's the standard for 4K streaming. This also means U will have another box in your entertainment center. Now, the release date for the new sets in the US is Late Spring or early Summer so you may have a few months to wait. If you can't wait, get the X900A, you will love the PQ and just purchase the upgraded media center. It appears the H.265 can't be done by a software upgrade like the HDMI 2.0. It's a separate chip. BTW, what's the regular price for the set in AU. If it's a substantial discount, get it. U can't go wrong.

 

Isn't Sony promising to upgrade the X900A to HDMI 2.0?

 

And H 265 is just for 4K video streaming - from Netflix, etc. - correct?

 

I am not sure what Extended Dynamic Range is exactly...?

 

Are there any other differences between the X900A and X900B? (Other than the positioning of the speakers and the new "wedge" shape...)

post #5392 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Isn't Sony promising to upgrade the X900A to HDMI 2.0?

And H 265 is just for 4K video streaming - from Netflix, etc. - correct?

I am not sure what Extended Dynamic Range is exactly...?

Are there any other differences between the X900A and X900B? (Other than the positioning of the speakers and the new "wedge" shape...)

The X900A is already HDMI 2.0. Just not any devices that we can use to test this.

h.265 (HEVC) isn't a deal breaker to have built in. Its nice to have as a smart tv, but I'm guessing within a year, most people will have 2-3 devices attached to their sets that do this for 4k streaming anyhow (e.g ps4, apple tv, blu-ray players, etc).

The one thing that the X900B has nice over the X900A is the enhanced brightness.

Its really the X950 series that will have all the bells and whistles that make a big jump from the A series - and you'll pay for it as well.
post #5393 of 7320
Yeah like 7000 here in Australia for the 950b
post #5394 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Geoff, will you be sharing specifics regarding your new calibration? How is HCFR different/better than a non-freeware solution like CalMAN?

Well, I don't use HCFR because it's different or better, I use it because it's free. biggrin.gif

As for the Live Colour, I don't endorse using it with every source because of how it expands the gamut, especially with green. So anything that's been graded with the 'teal and orange' colour scheme tends to look very, very green indeed!
post #5395 of 7320
I watched for awhile with low live color because the pop appealed to me a bit but it really does do something very noticeable to gamma at low levels. Can't abide that. smile.gif
post #5396 of 7320

For those of you who subscribe to Widescreen Review, you may have noticed a report by Gary Reber (WSR Editor-in-Chief) in his article about new equipment seen at the 2014 CES, that Darbee's new DVP-5100CIE supports enhancing 4K video signals. This was not my understanding, so I sent a note to DarbeeVision asking for confirmation. I received this reply from Adam Darbee, Sales Manager:

 

"Hi Jerry, I am not sure how they got that wrong. We do not support native 4k in the 5100CIE, nor do we have HDMI 2.0. We do however work with upscaled 4k as long as we are in the chain before the upscaling takes place. Our algorithm works fine with 4K however the hardware needs to be upgraded to handle the information. Once native 4K becomes available and used by more consumers, we will most likely come out with a model that supports native 4K."

 

This was posted in the Darbee thread as well.

post #5397 of 7320

OK... so I went to see this beautiful 65" TV in person, again...

 

And right next to it was a 70" Sharp 4K - and it looked really good as well...

 

However, the extra 5" is REALLY noticeable...

 

Do I dare wait for the 79" 900B?!

 

LOL

post #5398 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixvegas View Post

They are still retailing for 5999. The best I had done before was 5800, but yesterday got it down to 5200 with a little more room to move. The new model is due for release in May/ June. I'm not big on down loading content. Mainly just want a great picture for bluray, gaming and the occasional hd movie off unlimited. My onkyo amp atm does not support 4k pass through so I will upgrade that when more content becomes available. I just want a bigger, better picture than my current 55hx925, 929 US equivalent. Cheers
Then go ahead and get it
post #5399 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

OK... so I went to see this beautiful 65" TV in person, again...

And right next to it was a 70" Sharp 4K - and it looked really good as well...

However, the extra 5" is REALLY noticeable...

Do I dare wait for the 79" 900B?!

LOL

The 79 900B is $8000.The Sharp has some negatives. The HDMI 1.4 is not upgradable by firmware. The screen is matte finish, and in my opinion, not much better than a 1080p set.
post #5400 of 7320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos View Post


The 79 900B is $8000.The Sharp has some negatives. The HDMI 1.4 is not upgradable by firmware. The screen is matte finish, and in my opinion, not much better than a 1080p set.

 

The 65" X900A was originally "listed" at $7,000 - but sold/is selling for $5,000...

 

I am hoping for the same type of reduction in the 79"..... maybe $6,999...?

 

But, yeah... the only reason the 65" looked small(ish) is because it was right next to a 70"...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread