or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 184

post #5491 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Well, obviously Sony thinks it is what consumers want, no?

And the new B version is TWICE as bright as the A version...

So, someone must be asking for it...?

I was reading an article over the week-end in a publication called "WHATHIFI" which I believe is British as he was writing about X905 and in the article he said he was told by Sony that the new sets will correct 'The over push of blues" in the European sets, the brightness issue and also, very important, the off-axis viewing, where the color fades when viewing from the sides. I will try to copy the article unto this thread.
post #5492 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashhos View Post

I was reading an article over the week-end in a publication called "WHATHIFI" which I believe is British as he was writing about X905 and in the article he said he was told by Sony that the new sets will correct 'The over push of blues" in the European sets, the brightness issue and also, very important, the off-axis viewing, where the color fades when viewing from the sides. I will try to copy the article unto this thread.

whathifi.com
sony2014tvs
post #5493 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post
 

 

Well, obviously Sony thinks it is what consumers want, no?

 

And the new B version is TWICE as bright as the A version...

 

So, someone must be asking for it...?

 

I don't doubt that it is a selling point.  My point is that you should evaluate marketing claims against actual requirements. 

post #5494 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Well, obviously Sony thinks it is what consumers want, no?

And the new B version is TWICE as bright as the A version...

So, someone must be asking for it...?

If you know anything about sales and marketing, you would understand who and why this "new" model is coming out.
Electronics mfgs sales and marketing folks scream for "new and better" products every year, so they can sell their customers more stuff

The "new and improved" dont necessarily do anything better than the older products, but they ALWAYS cost more money, and they can ALWAYS find suckers who buy into their premiss of "new is better"....and MORE expensive..

If you are so convinced that you need the "new and improved and more expensive" model, then go ahead and buy it and let us know how it is...until then, would you please stop hammering this thread with this same statement over and over?
post #5495 of 7316

Well, one thing I have learned from this thread is that purchasing a very expensive, high-end television set is an emotional decision.  If only the decision were easier!

post #5496 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post


If you know anything about sales and marketing, you would understand who and why this "new" model is coming out.
Electronics mfgs sales and marketing folks scream for "new and better" products every year, so they can sell their customers more stuff

The "new and improved" dont necessarily do anything better than the older products, but they ALWAYS cost more money, and they can ALWAYS find suckers who buy into their premiss of "new is better"....and MORE expensive..

If you are so convinced that you need the "new and improved and more expensive" model, then go ahead and buy it and let us know how it is...until then, would you please stop hammering this thread with this same statement over and over?

 

Thanks for the "marketing lesson".

 

If you find my post annoying or "beneath" you - the solution is quite simple - don't bother taking the time to respond.

 

As already proven by others, and even the article pointed out above - Sony considers this "brightness" or lack thereof - a "problem".

 

So, if you don't find it a problem - kudos to you.

 

But as already stated, others do, including Sony itself.

 

And, before I spend $5,000 (of which I work hard for) - I am going to be certain it is on something I like!

 

Thanks:)

post #5497 of 7316
Sony are going for this 'x-tended dynamic range' thing as a precursor to actual HDR (high dynamic range) technology, like that which is being championed by Dolby at the moment. I don't care what Sony says, IMO it's nothing to do with any particular 'complaints' about the 2013 TVs. Calibrate them properly and they'll kick ass. They're just trying to get on the HDR bandwagon early.
post #5498 of 7316
I would think going to the store and looking with your OWN 2 eyes would be the way you would decide, not based on input from a web board..
but hey, to each his own..
post #5499 of 7316
I watched XBR-65X905A here on Chile few days ago, it was displaying Sony 4K demos.

I was there for about 30min. Only few shots impressed me. The rest was just like watching a nice 1080p, even begin displayed in real 4K the whole time.

Probably 65" is way too small to impress. I'm glad I did see the unit, now I can wait without any rush... 4K isn't there yet.
post #5500 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Thanks for the "marketing lesson".

If you find my post annoying or "beneath" you - the solution is quite simple - don't bother taking the time to respond.

As already proven by others, and even the article pointed out above - Sony considers this "brightness" or lack thereof - a "problem".

So, if you don't find it a problem - kudos to you.

But as already stated, others do, including Sony itself.

And, before I spend $5,000 (of which I work hard for) - I am going to be certain it is on something I like!

Thanks:)

Weren't you pretty much sold on the 65x900a, if your prepared to wait and spend the extra thousands on the b series, then do that mate. No tv will ever be perfect, if it was we would be watching the same panel and the manufacturers would go out of business. Or they would cost in the vesinty of the 84 inch. Anyone here got 20-30000 to spend on a display. Just my thoughts
post #5501 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Thanks for the "marketing lesson".

If you find my post annoying or "beneath" you - the solution is quite simple - don't bother taking the time to respond.

As already proven by others, and even the article pointed out above - Sony considers this "brightness" or lack thereof - a "problem".

So, if you don't find it a problem - kudos to you.

But as already stated, others do, including Sony itself.

And, before I spend $5,000 (of which I work hard for) - I am going to be certain it is on something I like!

Thanks:)

Not sure where this 3 times a bright as the A series came from. What the Sony site says is 3 times as bright as a normal LED. Then when you look at the features listed for the 900b, you will see extended dynamic range for 2x brightnes range, with a 3 next to it. The 3 denotes a footnote. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the footnotes. There it says 2. Brightness range refers to the range between dark and light levels. Compared to conventional LED TVs.
http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-XBR65X900B
Edited by rockaway1836 - 2/18/14 at 12:33am
post #5502 of 7316
Looking at those specs, it's worth noting (again) that even though the new X900 is active 3D it's NOT 4K 3D compatible. It still can't even do simulated 3D with a 4K signal.

3D Features
3D Format Support : Yes (2K only)
Simulated 3D : Yes (2K only)

3D Sync Transmitter Integrated : Yes
3D Super-resolution : Yes
Auto 3D Depth Adjustment : Yes
3D : Active

And while searching for more info about the port replicator, I came across this footnote in the Sony Singapore press release which references the new x-tended dynamic range system (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Dynamic range of brightness does not represent luminance. It is a comprehensive index of reproduction of luminance, gradation and black level.

See the footnotes here: http://www.sony.com.sg/pressrelease/asset/580129/section/productpressreleases
Edited by Geoff D - 2/18/14 at 4:11am
post #5503 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Looking at those specs, it's worth noting (again) that even though the new X900 is active 3D it's NOT 4K 3D compatible. It still can't even do simulated 3D with a 4K signal.

3D Features
3D Format Support : Yes (2K only)
Simulated 3D : Yes (2K only)

3D Sync Transmitter Integrated : Yes
3D Super-resolution : Yes
Auto 3D Depth Adjustment : Yes
3D : Active

And while searching for more info about the port replicator, I came across this footnote in the Sony Singapore press release which references the new x-tended dynamic range system (emphasis mine):
See the footnotes here: http://www.sony.com.sg/pressrelease/asset/580129/section/productpressreleases

As a matter of note... These were the specifications on Sony's web site prior to the HDMI 2.0 specifications being released. They are shocking at updating this information and it may be that given that this panel is HDMI 2.0 compliant that it can. It may be worth contacting Sony and asking them.
post #5504 of 7316
Forget my last post... I noticed now that you are discussing this years model!
post #5505 of 7316
The new specs for the new NVIDIA - GTX TITAN BLACK graphics card are out and it can not do 4k 60hz in SST. It is still HDMI 1.4a. But there is support for 4k 60hz MST - However this is no use to us Sony 4K tv owners.

3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.
post #5506 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

The new specs for the new NVIDIA - GTX TITAN BLACK graphics card are out and it can not do 4k 60hz in SST. It is still HDMI 1.4a. But there is support for 4k 60hz MST - However this is no use to us Sony 4K tv owners.

3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.
I am glad to see someone else is interested in HTPC ! thanks for the info
post #5507 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Looking at those specs, it's worth noting (again) that even though the new X900 is active 3D it's NOT 4K 3D compatible. It still can't even do simulated 3D with a 4K signal.

3D Features
3D Format Support : Yes (2K only)
Simulated 3D : Yes (2K only)

3D Sync Transmitter Integrated : Yes
3D Super-resolution : Yes
Auto 3D Depth Adjustment : Yes
3D : Active

And while searching for more info about the port replicator, I came across this footnote in the Sony Singapore press release which references the new x-tended dynamic range system (emphasis mine):
See the footnotes here: http://www.sony.com.sg/pressrelease/asset/580129/section/productpressreleases

 

Thanks. 

Just me, or does anyone else see an expensive tripping accident waiting to happen...?...:eek: 


Edited by falconhawke - 2/18/14 at 9:06am
post #5508 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

I am glad to see someone else is interested in HTPC ! thanks for the info

Display port technology is light years ahead. I don't understand why ATi and nVidia are being slow on the uptake of HDMI 2.0 given the number of people using large flat screen T.V.s for gaming and HT PCs these days. I don't remember my last dedicated monitor.

In a month or so Display port 1.3 standards will be released which will effectively allow for 2No. 4k @ 60Hz screens or 1No. 8k (Unknown but am assuming about 24 or 30Hz) screen to be connected. I wander how many years it will be until HDMI comes close to this. Stupid!
post #5509 of 7316
I'm hoping that as there are no 4k 3D films available yet that this will be corrected by a firmware update when they become available... If the screen can produce 60Hz at 4k then it should be capable of 3D @ 4k, however it just depends if the screens polarisation filter allows for 4k and not just 2k(1980x1020)!
post #5510 of 7316

OK, now I am even more confused... I know "News Flash...", lol

 

I thought one of the selling points of this TV was that it did fantastic 4K 3D?

 

That each eye received 1080 - making it 2160 - 4K?


Edited by HDTVAV - 2/18/14 at 9:24am
post #5511 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

We have to wait for the next generation video cards for HDMI 2. They can't just add it to current hardware.



A while back we were discussing Netflix performance on this TV. I think I've only seen SuperHD once and often it will drop down to lower resolutions. Even when watching SD content it will drop to 384p. And I have it hard wired to ethernet.

I was quick to blame Comcast for this but it turns out the problem is with the TV itself. I get SuperHD on my PS3 without any issues. I hope they figure this out before they are streaming 4K to their TVs.

I just watched half of House of Cards in 1080p 'Super HD' on the set. Only once did it bounce all the way back down to 288 - that was at the start of the episode and two other people were streaming in my house at the time. It took about 2 minutes for it to climb back up to Super HD and more or less stuck there the whole time.

In my experience - no issues with Netflix and higher bit-rate streaming on this set.
post #5512 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post


In my experience - no issues with Netflix and higher bit-rate streaming on this set.

 

As has been discussed many times, Netflix throughput is a complex issue, most likely affected by bandwidth provider policies, content distribution networks, etc.  There are examples of slow Netflix throughput, and also of perfectly acceptable Netflix throughput, on various platforms, including the X900, AppleTV, Oppo, etc.  Throughput has been shown to be independent of ISP bandwidth--I have had Super HD sessions with my 15Mbs connection, and users with 100Mbs connections have complained about slow throughput.

 

Let's not be so quick to blame Sony for Netflix issues.

post #5513 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT monster View Post

Display port technology is light years ahead. I don't understand why ATi and nVidia are being slow on the uptake of HDMI 2.0 given the number of people using large flat screen T.V.s for gaming and HT PCs these days. I don't remember my last dedicated monitor.

In a month or so Display port 1.3 standards will be released which will effectively allow for 2No. 4k @ 60Hz screens or 1No. 8k (Unknown but am assuming about 24 or 30Hz) screen to be connected. I wander how many years it will be until HDMI comes close to this. Stupid!
I ran across a manufacturer Planar that uses display port in a 84 inch TV and also Panasonic will have display port. How much would it cost to add display port to a TV? With 4K TV'S I think hooking up a computer is the next step. By the way remember split screen and pip in TV'S?
post #5514 of 7316
post #5515 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

The new specs for the new NVIDIA - GTX TITAN BLACK graphics card are out and it can not do 4k 60hz in SST. It is still HDMI 1.4a. But there is support for 4k 60hz MST - However this is no use to us Sony 4K tv owners.

3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.
that's just sad I was hoping black titan would get hdmi 2.0 since I am going to use my pc as HTPC and I am getting my new 55x900a hopefully before Friday biggrin.gif now I am praying for Displayport to hdmi 2.0 solution
post #5516 of 7316

Well, according to some posts on here, and some professional reviews - Sony has "promised" to take care of early adopters of their 4K TVs and make them "future proof" (near future)...

 

How they will do that is not known...

 

But from an article - 

 

Sony has said publicly that they will support their new 4K TVs and ensure they are future-proof, we will have to wait and see if they're as good as their word.

 

And in the comment section:

 

It's the HDMI 1.4a that concerns me with all these sets. Sony may have said they'll support their tvs in future, but does that meant they'll give you an add-on that enabled HDMI 2? or will they simply hand out boxes that degrade incompatible formats to an HDMI 1.4a standard...

post #5517 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Well, according to some posts on here, and some professional reviews - Sony has "promised" to take care of early adopters of their 4K TVs and make them "future proof" (near future)...

How they will do that is not known...

Speculating about this seems pointless. Especially as we have essentially zero 4k@30fps content, exactly zero 4k@60fps content, and of course, not even one HDMI 2 device to plug into the TV.

Nobody here is in a position to speak on behalf of Sony. Neither can we read their minds, or predict the future.
post #5518 of 7316
We have already receive a firmware update that enables HDMI 2.0. What is the concern?
post #5519 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

We have already receive a firmware update that enables HDMI 2.0. What is the concern?

I gather some feel that the set is limited to 1.4 and Sony is lying about a software upgrade that enables 2.0

Since I designed computer and TV chips for 20 years, I'd be willing to bet that the chip they shipped in our sets does 2.0, but the firmware was shipped before the 2.0 specs were formalized. Now the specs are solid, the firmware is too.

Can we speculate about if the Saints are going to the Super Bowl or something else?
post #5520 of 7316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

The new specs for the new NVIDIA - GTX TITAN BLACK graphics card are out and it can not do 4k 60hz in SST. It is still HDMI 1.4a. But there is support for 4k 60hz MST - However this is no use to us Sony 4K tv owners.

3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.

That is no different than the current Titan (I have 2 of them) and when I had the Panasonic it would do 4k at 60fps via DisplayPort and it was pretty damn impressive, but we all know the issues of the Panasonic. As of today, still no GPU has been announced that does HDMI 2.0.

I really wish some company would make a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter. That would solve everything for us and I am sure they would sell a lot of them if such a device were to be made. I am not really looking forward to replacing my 2 Titans which I have under water as well...but I do want 4k gaming at 60fps, so when someone finally makes a powerful HDMI 2.0 GPU, I will be getting them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread