or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 27

post #781 of 7227
Hi there. Good to be here "officially" (have been for a long time as a lurker of course). :-)

This, the simplistic, "clean" layout that allows for easy modification, has been my impression as well. I do hope it proves to be exactly that. And yes, it does seem as if they had this in mind all along, so they might have factored the relevant cost in. Of course that does not mean that they will not charge ANYTHING for it, but the cost should be palatable.

I come from Greece so I'm afraid I won't be having the 4K combo meal. :-( Sony Europe have not announced that they will be bringing the 4K media player in the EU market (bear in mind that they did not grant 84X9000 owners that initial media server either), so I am out of luck... unless they announce something at IFA 2013 in September. I am getting the 65 inch model at the end of August, though. Can't wait to connect to it my two PCs - gaming + Media Center, both HDMI 1.4b equipped - and PS4 later in November.

In the mean time, I am REALLY, really interested to know whether any of you guys have tested the X9 with an Oppo 103/105. I'd like to know how the Marvell Qdeo compares to the X-Reality Pro 4K at upscaling BD/MKV content at 2160p. I was thinking of buying that amazing player anyway, but I would be really frustrated (putting it mildly) to just give €650 to get it, only to find out that I can't tell the difference between the times the Oppo does the processing and the times the X-Reality does the processing. Talk about hard times to throw money away...
post #782 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkonas View Post

Hi there. Good to be here "officially" (have been for a long time as a lurker of course). :-)

This, the simplistic, "clean" layout that allows for easy modification, has been my impression as well. I do hope it proves to be exactly that. And yes, it does seem as if they had this in mind all along, so they might have factored the relevant cost in. Of course that does not mean that they will not charge ANYTHING for it, but the cost should be palatable.

I come from Greece so I'm afraid I won't be having the 4K combo meal. :-( Sony Europe have not announced that they will be bringing the 4K media player in the EU market (bear in mind that they did not grant 84X9000 owners that initial media server either), so I am out of luck... unless they announce something at IFA 2013 in September. I am getting the 65 inch model at the end of August, though. Can't wait to connect to it my two PCs - gaming + Media Center, both HDMI 1.4b equipped - and PS4 later in November.

In the mean time, I am REALLY, really interested to know whether any of you guys have tested the X9 with an Oppo 103/105. I'd like to know how the Marvell Qdeo compares to the X-Reality Pro 4K at upscaling BD/MKV content at 2160p. I was thinking of buying that amazing player anyway, but I would be really frustrated (putting it mildly) to just give €650 to get it, only to find out that I can't tell the difference between the times the Oppo does the processing and the times the X-Reality does the processing. Talk about hard times to throw money away...

I am using the Oppo 103 to my 4K display and I find the Oppo upscale to 1080p signal to be exceptional, and feed that in turn to the display and let it upscale to 2160p.
If I put the Oppo setting to 4K and send it to the set I can tell no difference between the Sony upscale and the Oppo upscale. I just let the Sony do the upscaling. But with the Oppo you are starting with a pristine signal at 1080p. IMO I don't believe you can buy a better Blu-ray player.
post #783 of 7227
I have the 103 and I similarly pass 1080p to the display and let it upscale. I can tell no difference letting the Oppo upscale.
post #784 of 7227
Hi everybody ( Sorry for my english, i'm a french user )

I have a question about the films who are present on the FMP-X1

Can you choose the language of the film, or just in english

Thanks for yours reponses
post #785 of 7227
Only English
post #786 of 7227
That is good news indeed !
post #787 of 7227
@dreaux @flinchn Thank you people! It helps a lot.

I had suspected as much: it would take a VERY serious processing unit to upscale 1080p to 2160p AND refine the picture at the same time. Last time I had the pleasure of watching a player do this was with my trusty Denon 3930 back when Realta was considered to be "studio quality processing" and 576p-to-1080p was a process that made a LOT of difference.

To give Sony their due, they seem to have grasped the importance of a quality scaler much more than Samsung or LG seem to have. I have not tested Sammy's 85 incher yet but from what I'm reading/following, they are nowhere near X-Reality Pro level yet (despite the actual CPU of the unit being better). And LG's 84 incher, which I've seen, feels almost like a monitor: no serious processing happening there. Kudos to Sony, regardless of marketing stunts like the "4K Remastered" Blu-rays. They know where knowledge counts and they have made a long-year investment there. They would not have matched the results of a Qdeo chip with inferior hardware otherwise.
post #788 of 7227
Hi All,

I also just joined the forum...

I live in Germany and I got my 65" 4k Sony TV just yesterday and still have some more exploring to do, but my first impression is great so far.

I am also interested in the X1 but I am not sure it will run with my TV. It was produced 7/13 and had a Serial in the format 6001XXX.

Before I import the X1 from the States I was wondering if anybody did get the X1 to run without a hardware upgrade?
and if so...what was your serial format and was your HDMI4 still a few inches to the right of the other HDMI's?

Cheers
doctune
post #789 of 7227
I'm thinking of getting the XBR 55" or 65" my only concern is gaming. Can anyone comment on the input lag from this set? Thanks!
post #790 of 7227
Had issue with getting the $200 coupon. Got a Sony rep from Facebook to help, they were able to allow me to order over the phone with a code they got. Got the repair scheduled for next Friday. Just got a call and they will be sending out two reps to do the job. I will be moving my network to my TV area so I purchased a splitter and more cable so I will be ready to go for when it arrives. I just hope they ship it tomorrow so I can get it by Friday. Cannot wait to check out some actual 4K content on this bad boy. Glad that the call wasn't to delay the service.
post #791 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubie View Post

Hi everybody ( Sorry for my english, i'm a french user )

I have a question about the films who are present on the FMP-X1

Can you choose the language of the film, or just in english

Thanks for yours reponses

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctune View Post

Hi All,

I also just joined the forum...

I live in Germany and I got my 65" 4k Sony TV just yesterday and still have some more exploring to do, but my first impression is great so far.

I am also interested in the X1 but I am not sure it will run with my TV. It was produced 7/13 and had a Serial in the format 6001XXX.

Before I import the X1 from the States I was wondering if anybody did get the X1 to run without a hardware upgrade?
and if so...what was your serial format and was your HDMI4 still a few inches to the right of the other HDMI's?

Cheers
doctune
The FMP-1X player will not work outside of the USA for now.

You can't see the ten pre-loaded movies and you won't be able to hook up to the Sony delivery network, unless you manage to fool the network to think the player and the TV with use of some proxy server that they are situated in the US.
Similar way that people in Europe fooled AppleTV/iTunes previously.

This situation might change and something new will be announced at IFA in September. But for now Sony has confirmed the player will not be sold in Europe.

The best you can do is to call Sony head office in your country and voice your displeasure that Europeans don't get the same service like in the US, even when Europeans pay more money for their TVs.

Alert the Tech Press in your country and post it on forums. Make some noise before IFA. Maybe Sony is forced to reconsider.
.
Edited by coolscan - 7/18/13 at 4:51pm
post #792 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctune View Post

Hi All,

I also just joined the forum...

I live in Germany and I got my 65" 4k Sony TV just yesterday and still have some more exploring to do, but my first impression is great so far.

I am also interested in the X1 but I am not sure it will run with my TV. It was produced 7/13 and had a Serial in the format 6001XXX.

Before I import the X1 from the States I was wondering if anybody did get the X1 to run without a hardware upgrade?
and if so...what was your serial format and was your HDMI4 still a few inches to the right of the other HDMI's?

Cheers
doctune

Doctune you should be ok as my serial number is 6000XXX and I did NOT need the hardware upgrade...
post #793 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeD View Post

I'm thinking of getting the XBR 55" or 65" my only concern is gaming. Can anyone comment on the input lag from this set? Thanks!

That question has been asked multiple times by several of us without a response as of yet.
post #794 of 7227
The X900A is an amazing TV, no question. Every aspect of it is superb. The broadcast, the Blu Ray's , the 3D, deliver such gorgeous picture quality it is a sight to behold.
That being said, sadly, I do not feel that way about the 4K media center. I really do not want to post this, but I need some guidance.
The guy came out and installed it today. And I lucked out with a really savvy guy who truly new what he was doing.
So I started to watch Spiderman. I have this movie on regular Blu Ray. On Sony 4K remastered. And now on actual 4K. Every single one of them was really great.
But the 4K media player is, to me, with every movie tried just plain DULL. I am shocked. I mean dull even if i put it on vivid with picture at MAX. Dull. Like under a gloomy
cloud with no life to the picture whatsoever.
Yes, some of the shorts on the media player are quite gorgeous and worthy of the 4K emblem.
Do I need to do something with the setting? I read from people here about Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. I do not even see those two options in settings. Certainly not
in cable, or blu ray. Butnot even in 4K media server. What am i missing? How can I make the picture more alive. It is very alive during all the shorts. Some more than others
but in the actual movies, booooooooo. i hate how they look. Dull dull dull.
Please help me with the settings. Or comment on what I have missed. Or not done right. For Sony to introduce their first 4K unit, I would have thought they would have at least
put on some eye candy like the stuff you see in the store demonstrations. Live tape things. Really special colorful. This is watered down. Yes the underwater is nice. But I have
alot of them in 3D on Blu Ray and they are just as spectacular. Probably more. The Eldorado is nice. But it is filmic and a little grainy. These are not things to showcase 4K right
off the bat in my opinion.
I do not want to put down this effort or be negative. I want to love it. Is it just my unit? I doubt it. Is it my stupid settings. I hope they are. I am using default to start. But I tried vivid.
Nothing. I tried to increase the picture settings. Nothing. Brightness does not look good if it is too bright.
Please help me. I want to love this. Thanks.
I am thrilled I bought this television. I am even thrilled to have the 4K media center. I see it's potential. And see what it is capable of ...maybe by the fall, even. But to me there is
something vastly wrong with these 10 films. What is it? I have not seen films presented ever that are so dull and dreary in color and brightness and aliveness. Especially on a tv like
this one is in every other mode. I hate to even post this. But I need someone to show me something to get me excited. I am ready willing and able. But is the 4K player? lol Help please!
post #795 of 7227
Perhaps you were use to a 9500K PQ previously, and now maybe seeing it at the proper 6500K is what you're finding to be dull? I know my wife's family room Samsung measuring 9500K looks Brilliant, (Wife won't allow me to tamper with it.), but all my other sets are calibrated to 6500, may look duller, but definitely more Natural!
post #796 of 7227
Just wanted to let you guys know a couple things. First, the X1 setup includes the installation of a new HDMI 4 board that presumably upgrades it to 2.0. Secondly, there is zero need for an upscaling player. The x-reality pro and the other chip (which escapes my memory), are the most advanced out there. The S790 is not necessary. Additionallly, Sony's new line of Blu Ray players have the ability to output the xvycc expanded color data that the triluminous technology can take advantage of. So if you have a mastered in 4k movie (and maybe others) they carry the expanded color info that you want.

I've had tons of trouble hooking up my X1, but Sony is coming out Wednesday for setup/hdmi 4 upgrade. Ill post back then.
post #797 of 7227
I will be communicating with Sony's Product Planning manager/senior manager of training and content early next week when I have narrowed down precisely what I want to ask. Do you guys have any respectful, necessary or pertinent questions? If so I will write one or two down and ask during the call or follow up email.
post #798 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

The X900A is an amazing TV, no question. Every aspect of it is superb. The broadcast, the Blu Ray's , the 3D, deliver such gorgeous picture quality it is a sight to behold.
That being said, sadly, I do not feel that way about the 4K media center. I really do not want to post this, but I need some guidance.
The guy came out and installed it today. And I lucked out with a really savvy guy who truly new what he was doing.
So I started to watch Spiderman. I have this movie on regular Blu Ray. On Sony 4K remastered. And now on actual 4K. Every single one of them was really great.
But the 4K media player is, to me, with every movie tried just plain DULL. I am shocked. I mean dull even if i put it on vivid with picture at MAX. Dull. Like under a gloomy
cloud with no life to the picture whatsoever.
Yes, some of the shorts on the media player are quite gorgeous and worthy of the 4K emblem.
Do I need to do something with the setting? I read from people here about Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. I do not even see those two options in settings. Certainly not
in cable, or blu ray. Butnot even in 4K media server. What am i missing? How can I make the picture more alive. It is very alive during all the shorts. Some more than others
but in the actual movies, booooooooo. i hate how they look. Dull dull dull.
Please help me with the settings. Or comment on what I have missed. Or not done right. For Sony to introduce their first 4K unit, I would have thought they would have at least
put on some eye candy like the stuff you see in the store demonstrations. Live tape things. Really special colorful. This is watered down. Yes the underwater is nice. But I have
alot of them in 3D on Blu Ray and they are just as spectacular. Probably more. The Eldorado is nice. But it is filmic and a little grainy. These are not things to showcase 4K right
off the bat in my opinion.
I do not want to put down this effort or be negative. I want to love it. Is it just my unit? I doubt it. Is it my stupid settings. I hope they are. I am using default to start. But I tried vivid.
Nothing. I tried to increase the picture settings. Nothing. Brightness does not look good if it is too bright.
Please help me. I want to love this. Thanks.
I am thrilled I bought this television. I am even thrilled to have the 4K media center. I see it's potential. And see what it is capable of ...maybe by the fall, even. But to me there is
something vastly wrong with these 10 films. What is it? I have not seen films presented ever that are so dull and dreary in color and brightness and aliveness. Especially on a tv like
this one is in every other mode. I hate to even post this. But I need someone to show me something to get me excited. I am ready willing and able. But is the 4K player? lol Help please!


Have you tried these settings?

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-xbr-65x900a-3d-lcd-ultra-hdtv-settings
post #799 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieTheBull View Post

Doctune you should be ok as my serial number is 6000XXX and I did NOT need the hardware upgrade...

Thanks smile.gif Ok, Can you tell me what country you bought your TV in?
and how far the HDMI 4 is from the other HDMI ports? Maybe a picture...?
Mine is quite a bit away from the others still... (will post picture soon)

Btw, Getting a US IP is not the problem wink.gif

Thanks.
post #800 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

That question has been asked multiple times by several of us without a response as of yet.

I am a Gamer, but just got my TV 2 days ago. As soon as I have time I will explore gaming and Input lag on this baby wink.gif
so far I only played a little Xbox 360 yesterday and Input lag seems to be a bit higher compared to my old TV (55X4500), but the settings have not been tweaked yet, so they are pretty much out of the box still...
post #801 of 7227
Funny you mentioned that p5. I really think you are onto something.
A few more comments from me:
After my big long post, I settle down and decided to watch Bridge on the River Kwai. At first, I hated how it looked. So grainy and from another era. I kept thinking why would Sony showcase this for 4K. I was expecting the 4K in the Sony store demos.
But, as the movie unfolded, I got very caught up in it and stopped thinking 4K etc. As I watched it was so beautiful. The colors and the intensity and how beautiful it looked. A total classic. But astoudingly beautiful in 4K. I kept thinking, well the Blu Ray would be just as good. But I am not so sure. It really drew me in. It is my first full 4K movie. And the sky has a graininess sometimes to be sure. But otherwise it looked so pristine and so haunting.
So what I am saying and I thin p5brown is getting at is that I am not used to 6500k and have not really seen 4K before.
So if that was any indication of what I can expect, I did a complete 180. I was so glad I watched that movie. It turned my head around. Thanks p5brown for that observation. I really do think my eye needed a major adjustment and I was not prepared. Spiderman looked diffferent after I saw Bridge on the River Kwai.
I tend to like more pop then most people here, but I really think that each film and each short have a different look. Which is how they were shot etc.

I do want some of that Sony store demo eye candy. I just do. And it really is not included on the media center. But aside from that....I love the X900A. I also watched The Hobbit--not all, just a bit. I bumped up the 3D to 2+ and wow. It really changed that film for me, which I was always thinking was too flat. It looked great for those of you who like 3D with much more depth.

Now, home theater settings. Please tell me what I find Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. Warm 1 and Warm 2. I do not see these settings. I found them easily on my old BluRay for my 929. But where on this new Sony 4K. I thought I would see if in BluRay and then by going to the settings there. And then from 4K and going to the settings there. So far I do not see it. I know this is ME, not the TV. I am just missig something. Please clear this up for me.
4K really is extraordinary now that I actually sat with it for a full few hours. Wow.
post #802 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

Please tell me what I find Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. Warm 1 and Warm 2. I do not see these settings. I found them easily on my old BluRay for my 929. But where on this new Sony 4K?

PICTURE MODE for Cinema 1/Cinema 2

COLOR TEMPERATURE for Warm1/Warm 2
post #803 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy3535 View Post

I will be communicating with Sony's Product Planning manager/senior manager of training and content early next week when I have narrowed down precisely what I want to ask. Do you guys have any respectful, necessary or pertinent questions? If so I will write one or two down and ask during the call or follow up email.

For my purpose, I need audio available at both HDMI connections simultaneously as opposed to either/or. My Bluray 790 has it the way the X1 should be too (at least the audio out):




Also, did you notice the slight shift in picture brightness/tint when you enter "input 4" at the connections page and the way the same thing happens to picture brightness/tint when you hit "muting" when the feature is playing?
Edited by LeeSoFl - 7/19/13 at 7:25am
post #804 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

Funny you mentioned that p5. I really think you are onto something.
A few more comments from me:
After my big long post, I settle down and decided to watch Bridge on the River Kwai. At first, I hated how it looked. So grainy and from another era. I kept thinking why would Sony showcase this for 4K. I was expecting the 4K in the Sony store demos.
But, as the movie unfolded, I got very caught up in it and stopped thinking 4K etc. As I watched it was so beautiful. The colors and the intensity and how beautiful it looked. A total classic. But astoudingly beautiful in 4K. I kept thinking, well the Blu Ray would be just as good. But I am not so sure. It really drew me in. It is my first full 4K movie. And the sky has a graininess sometimes to be sure. But otherwise it looked so pristine and so haunting.
So what I am saying and I thin p5brown is getting at is that I am not used to 6500k and have not really seen 4K before.
So if that was any indication of what I can expect, I did a complete 180. I was so glad I watched that movie. It turned my head around. Thanks p5brown for that observation. I really do think my eye needed a major adjustment and I was not prepared. Spiderman looked diffferent after I saw Bridge on the River Kwai.
I tend to like more pop then most people here, but I really think that each film and each short have a different look. Which is how they were shot etc.

I do want some of that Sony store demo eye candy. I just do. And it really is not included on the media center. But aside from that....I love the X900A. I also watched The Hobbit--not all, just a bit. I bumped up the 3D to 2+ and wow. It really changed that film for me, which I was always thinking was too flat. It looked great for those of you who like 3D with much more depth.

Now, home theater settings. Please tell me what I find Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. Warm 1 and Warm 2. I do not see these settings. I found them easily on my old BluRay for my 929. But where on this new Sony 4K. I thought I would see if in BluRay and then by going to the settings there. And then from 4K and going to the settings there. So far I do not see it. I know this is ME, not the TV. I am just missig something. Please clear this up for me.
4K really is extraordinary now that I actually sat with it for a full few hours. Wow.

Watch "The Karate Kid", it is excellent in 4K.

Not a big fan of Warm 1 and 2. To me it looks too yellow/orange.
post #805 of 7227
Just had my surgery - went well. 4k Spiderman looks amazing, and so do the demo loops. Early knockoff work for the weekend!
post #806 of 7227
Any way to use custom settings across all inputs? Everytime I switch to media player the settings automatically change...
post #807 of 7227
I would like to use custom post calibration settings on all sources...
post #808 of 7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony 55 inch 4k View Post

I would like to use custom post calibration settings on all sources...

Under picture settings you should have 'Setting Memory" Setting it to 'Common' will keep all inputs the same settings. Setting it to 'Current input' will only use the setting you have for that current input.
At least that is how it works on the 84".
post #809 of 7227
How does one get closed captions to work with the X1 player? I have set the TV to play CC but when using the X1 it doesn't.
post #810 of 7227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

I read from people here about Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. I do not even see those two options in settings.

Cinema 1/2 are found in: Settings>Preferences>Scene Select
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread