or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Need sub help for a friend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need sub help for a friend.

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
My friend just finished building his new house. And his dedicated theatre room is 12ftx10ft with 9 foot ceiling. He is looking for a sub that you can feel and dig really low. And this all for $600 max budget for the sub with tax and shipping $750 tops. I have already told him. In my opinion his best bet will either be, outlaw ex-plus, rythmik lv12r, hsu vtf-2 mk4, dual klipsch rw-12d when on sale, svs sb-1000. But I highly doubt he will get the bass he can feel and hear without upping his budget. Am I wrong to tell him that? Or the subs I recommened him will suffice? Which on will best his needs?
post #2 of 21
I would ad PSA and the SVS-NSD. If it were me I would take the Klipsh off the list though. He should get feel from all you have mentioned.
post #3 of 21
Dual Klipsch RW-12ds would be a formidable setup, I wouldn't remove it from that line up. For a single sub at $750 max, I would go for an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, that is the single most powerful sub you can get for $750 shipped. For a multiple sub setup. I would go for the Klipschs. If your buddy really wants something that will knock him out, get one Outlaw now and add another later.
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

I have already told him. In my opinion his best bet will either be, outlaw ex-plus, rythmik lv12r, hsu vtf-2 mk4, dual klipsch rw-12d when on sale, svs sb-1000.

I would forget about the Klipsch RW-12D, due to port noise.
post #5 of 21
Go with the Outlaw LFM1-EX or PSA XS15.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

My friend just finished building his new house. And his dedicated theatre room is 12ftx10ft with 9 foot ceiling. He is looking for a sub that you can feel and dig really low. And this all for $600 max budget for the sub with tax and shipping $750 tops. I have already told him. In my opinion his best bet will either be, outlaw ex-plus, rythmik lv12r, hsu vtf-2 mk4, dual klipsch rw-12d when on sale, svs sb-1000. But I highly doubt he will get the bass he can feel and hear without upping his budget. Am I wrong to tell him that? Or the subs I recommened him will suffice? Which on will best his needs?

These kinds of requests make the false assumption of them being rational questions. Without your friend realizing it he's asking for $3k, or more, worth of subwoofers in a $750.00 package and as much as we all would like him to get what he wants, it ain't gonna happen. Boo-hoo for all of us.

With the above in mind, once a hard budget has been established, and it reads like you're already on to this point, one has to dicker and see what kind of compromises they're willing to accept. So as to give realistic recommendations, what compromises is your friend willing to put up with? Just so as to not seem like I'm trying to be coy, for a single subwoofer, my fav recommendations is a SVS, PC12-NSD.

Small footprint.

Unobtrusive in a Home Theater room.

400w RMS amp/800w peak.

According to ground plane tests, digs deep and expectedly will dig deeper in your friends Home Theater.

At this point in the thread, my opinion, participants will need to know what compromises your friend is willing to make so as to be able to come up with the best choice, for his situation, at his stated budget.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 5/17/13 at 11:15am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

These kinds of request make the false assumption of them being a rational question. Without your friend realizing it he's asking for $3k worth of subwoofers in a $750.00 package and as much as we all would like him to get what he wants, it ain't gonna happen. Boo-hoo all of us.

His dedicated theater room is only 1,080 cubic feet. That's a small room!!! I think any of the internet direct subs in the $500-$750 range will do just a fine job of pressurizing that room. I think a person would be extremely happy with a sub like that in a room like that especially if they can put the sub in its optimum position.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

His dedicated theater room is only 1,080 cubic feet. That's a small room!!! I think any of the internet direct subs in the $500-$750 range will do just a fine job of pressurizing that room. I think a person would be extremely happy with a sub like that in a room like that especially if they can put the sub in its optimum position.

So you're saying that the individual won't have to compromise on his choices and all his expectations will be met with a single, $750.00 sub solution in this 10'X12' room with 9' ceilings?

Personally, even in a dedicated Home Theater of this size, based on stated expectations, I would expect one to need a minimum of three PC-12 NSD's.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 5/17/13 at 11:24am
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Not wiliing to compromise anything nor budge on budget. He wants both the rumble in the chest and low boom. Like as if he was in the actual movie theatre. He's being really hard-headed and unrealistic about his subwoofer goal. All the subs that I have listed. Are any of them capabale of acheiving that rumble in the chest and low boom? I recommened outlaw lfm-plus. I have it hooked up in my living room. You can feel the rumble and hear the boom. But seems like he wants the whole sub package on a small budget.
post #10 of 21
Op's friend only said he wants a sub he can feel and that digs low which doesn't imply extremely high expectations to me. Depends on what his definition of low is but I agree that given the tiny room, most people would be very happy with something from the ID companies in the $700 range. If it were my friend, I'd recommend a PSA XS15. I'd skip the dual Klipsch's since they won't play as low as the ID subs and he should be OK with a single sub in such a small room. Again, considering the room size, he'll feel any of these subs in his chest if he turns it up enough.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm currently talking to him now via text. Trying to convince him any sub will give what he is asking for. He is afraid that the sub he gets. He has that chance of not liking it.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

So you're saying that the individual won't have to compromise on his choices and all his expectations will be met with a single, $750.00 sub solution in this 10'X12' room with 9' ceilings?

Personally, even in a dedicated Home Theater of this size, based on stated expectations, I would expect one to need a minimum of three PC-12 NSD's.

-

3 PC-12 NSD's in that room would be sweet but way overkill.... I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs in a living room that is 20' X 15' X 8' and it has a 4' wide floor to ceiling opening to the rest of the house. My subs are plenty in that room, some that have heard my setup say its completely awesome and that I'm insane for having those. Other ppl think its too much bass, I'm running each one to 75db at MLP then the sub trim in the AVR boosted 3db.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

Not wiliing to compromise anything nor budge on budget. He wants both the rumble in the chest and low boom. Like as if he was in the actual movie theatre. He's being really hard-headed and unrealistic about his subwoofer goal. All the subs that I have listed. Are any of them capabale of acheiving that rumble in the chest and low boom? I recommened outlaw lfm-plus. I have it hooked up in my living room. You can feel the rumble and hear the boom. But seems like he wants the whole sub package on a small budget.

and this is why I mentioned the PSA XS15...in that small sealed room a sealed subwoofer would work great and not be "boomy". Also the XS15 would pressurize that room nicely and offer some really deep extension.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Now he wants only downfiring sub. His best option will be the outlaw lfm-1 ex. Does psa charge sales tax? I know they do free shipping.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

Now he wants only downfiring sub. His best option will be the outlaw lfm-1 ex. Does psa charge sales tax? I know they do free shipping.

Which in my case, brings the PSA, XS15 to mind.

(which agrees with what benunc and basshead81 recommend)

And the aforementioned SVS, PC-12 NSD.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 5/17/13 at 12:47pm
post #16 of 21
PSA XS15 is $750 shipped - I don't imagine there's tax unless your friend happens to live where PSA is based. The Outlaw LFM-1 EX should be about the same price including shipping charges.
post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Well that's that. I'll leave the decision up to him. Appreciate the help guys.
post #18 of 21
...biggrin.gif
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Personally, even in a dedicated Home Theater of this size, based on stated expectations, I would expect one to need a minimum of three PC-12 NSD's.

YIKES!! eek.gif OK my friend. smile.gif
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

YIKES!! eek.gif OK my friend. smile.gif

With my above comment, I didn't lose my proverbial mind. A few reasons why I post that:

This is a dedicated Home Theater room in a newly built home so expectation are higher then just having some bass to compliment a sound track.

Second, the expectations are: "He is looking for a sub that you can feel and dig really low."

And third, there's going be more than one seat in this Home Theater and my guess, this guy is going want to wow his guests for two hours, not just entertain them with a milk toast sound system.

From my view point, that's going take three PC-12 NSD's, not just one and if he ops for just one, he's going be really, really disappointed in the output of just one subwoofer.

-
post #21 of 21
Quote:
With my above comment, I didn't lose my proverbial mind. A few reasons why I post that:

This is a dedicated Home Theater room in a newly built home so expectation are higher then just having some bass to compliment a sound track.

Second, the expectations are: "He is looking for a sub that you can feel and dig really low."

And third, there's going be more than one seat in this Home Theater and my guess, this guy is going want to wow his guests for two hours, not just entertain them with a milk toast sound system.

From my view point, that's going take three PC-12 NSD's, not just one and if he ops for just one, he's going be really, really disappointed in the output of just one subwoofer.

Makes perfect sense to me.. I get your point or maybe I should say points. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Need sub help for a friend.