or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic ZT60 Deals... - Page 3

post #61 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

$3100 here (+ tax), now you know why I went 750 miles (round trip) to grab it (Best Buy). Don't PM me asking who because they apparently had to put the clamp down on the discounting and have asked for no more referrals. Mine was the last one in the region (as of June 5, 2013), and I consider myself very blessed to have been connected to the manager who was serious about meeting (or exceeding) a quota apparently. It's the main reason why I'm not too sussed by the fan noise. Should I have chosen to have it delivered, the cost would have risen by at least $400.

That is a good point. Although my price is not as good as yours, being delivered and all, I feel I don't need to return it because of any fan noise. smile.gif

Besides, they slashed a big chunk of the BDI Avion II Noir price that I am super happy about it.
post #62 of 1930
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

$3100 here (+ tax), now you know why I went 750 miles (round trip) to grab it (Best Buy). Don't PM me asking who because they apparently had to put the clamp down on the discounting and have asked for no more referrals. Mine was the last one in the region (as of June 5, 2013), and I consider myself very blessed to have been connected to the manager who was serious about meeting (or exceeding) a quota apparently. It's the main reason why I'm not too sussed by the fan noise. Should I have chosen to have it delivered, the cost would have risen by at least $400.

Vinnie, it just dawned on me that you drove 10-12 hours to pick up the TV and drive home not including the time spent doing the deal. eek.gif Oh my! I'm glad you got a deal. You worked hard for it and earned it. smile.gif
post #63 of 1930
Luckily, I didn't have to go it alone and it was a two-person affair (good thing based on the few hours of sleep I got the night before).

I had asked for lower (based on a percentage that a fellow forumgoer achieved on the 60" size), but $3100 was the rock bottom the manager could do, which is still the best I'd seen offered anywhere, so I leaped.

Man, I need to try out some real content...still on the slides (it's a travesty how this forum has heightened my natural inclination of being anal retentive).
post #64 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Man, I need to try out some real content...still on the slides (it's a travesty how this forum has heightened my natural inclination of being anal retentive).

Is there a sticky thread about how to get these slides and bootstrap your first ever plasma? Something like a Plasma purification process for previous LCD owners also helps.
post #65 of 1930
post #66 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

This might help: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread wink.gif

Thanks a lot. Appreciated smile.gif
post #67 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdqboss View Post

What are the real advantages to buying through an authorized dealer?

If you purchase it from an authorized dealer, especially if their local, and want/need to return it its relativity easy. However, if you purchase it from an unauthorized, especially an online dealer, and want/need to return it you might have a ton of problems. So, if you’re not in any hurry I’d suggest waiting until it becomes available to all the dealers, by which time one might think that the price would be a heck of a lot lower.
post #68 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post

The deals are out there, you just need to pit stores against each other. I got hard on the manager and asked him if BB is going to stay in the game and start selling off volume versus profit. I'm still buying TV's from you and I'll send everyone I know in the Chicagoland area to this BB to buy them smile.gif It worked. I happen to know the cost of all three panels and I"ll tell you what, don't feel bad for them when they tell you "We're aren't making any money.". Each panel is marked up over $1000.

EDIT OOPs mean to put this in the VT thread, but I guess it will benefit someone to know that the ZT can be had for cheaper, you wouldn't believe the markup.

There are many factors that go into the amount of margin required to sell high-end TV's. It is considerably more expensive to carry and represent these sets. One of these factors is the amount of inventory required just to stock the TV's given the much lower sales volume compared to your average $1000 set. These carrying costs consume a big chuck of that margin. There is also a considerable cost to train the sales staff on the more advanced products. Last, but not least, is the additional cost to merchandise a Magnolia department versus a typical Best Buy. I know the markup seems crazy, but there are many other factors involved that you need to consider when passing judgement from a position that lacks all the facts.
post #69 of 1930
Just paid $3299 plus tax at Best Buy. Had to go to three different stores, and ended up with the best deal at a non-Magnolia store!
post #70 of 1930
With the 3D broadcast channels shutting down and 3D going nowhere in terms of decent source material, is it really worth getting the ZT 60 or 65" set since a large part of what you are paying for is the 3D capabilities? I know this is supposed to be a beautiful set but are you paying for bells and whistles (3D) that you won't be using?
post #71 of 1930
I wouldn't say that's a large part. A better filter, single-glass design, higher gradations, etc. are what set the ZT apart from its siblings. The VT60 (SRP'd at $500 less) is also 3d compatible, as is the ST60.
post #72 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post

With the 3D broadcast channels shutting down and 3D going nowhere in terms of decent source material, is it really worth getting the ZT 60 or 65" set since a large part of what you are paying for is the 3D capabilities? I know this is supposed to be a beautiful set but are you paying for bells and whistles (3D) that you won't be using?

3D accounts for maybe 2 or 3 % of what you are paying for. 3D is par for the course in even mid-level panels these days. Also, I wouldn't say it's going nowhere. They will continue to release 3D movies. It just won't be the focal point any more(was it ever?).
post #73 of 1930
FYI:

ABT.com received their ZTs today and they start shipping tomorrow, so I guess the Magnolia exclusive is now over.
post #74 of 1930
Wow, that was earlier than anticipated (late July was anticipated as of last month).
post #75 of 1930
Yeah wow, that tells me that the sales form BB are not as good for the ZT's as Panasonic was expecting. They need a larger sales network to get more of these sets sold.
post #76 of 1930
I'm betting you're right about targets not being met, and that might have been a loophole that Panasonic wrote into the exclusivity contact. It also doesn't bode well for next year's models.
post #77 of 1930
I had a pre-order for a 65" ZT through ABT for $3298 delivered. After seeing the shootout results and then weighing in how the ZT had more of the stupid shiny silver trim (my wife really hated how the 2012 VT50 series looked and the ZT is pretty much identical), lesser quality speakers, no built-in camera, and no tangible performance advantage unless you have light/glare in your room (I can fully blackout my room so no real issue for me), I worked a deal with BB for a 65" VT60 for $2679+tax. Had I known that ABT would have gotten then in so much earlier than originally planned, I might have just stuck with the ZT, especially for the price, but I really disagree with the whole Magnolia exclusive thing. So now I get to take that $500 difference and save it for a new pre-amp, speakers, or hold it for an 85" 4K OLED or plasma in a few years.

I know my local NJ BB has only sold 2 ZTs so far (as of yesterday). I love the idea of a true flagship model, but Panasonic really needs to do something to differentiate it from its already fantastic "lesser" models.
post #78 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

I know my local NJ BB has only sold 2 ZTs so far (as of yesterday). I love the idea of a true flagship model, but Panasonic really needs to do something to differentiate it from its already fantastic "lesser" models.

Ha......Depending on which BB in NJ, one of those ZT's might have been sold to me.
post #79 of 1930
FWIW, ABT now lists the price of the 65" at $4097.99 - Looks like you would have gotten a deal if you had kept your pre-order.

Cheers
Steven
post #80 of 1930
The secret is to call ABT and ask for the deal. At the time my deal was $3,500 shipped. I guess now they will do even better. Let the bargains begin on these sets. No one should pay close to list for these sets, since the exclusive has been lifted. I do feel for the smaller merchants because I do think they are getting the sets after the initial demand has subsided and thus there will be more of a price war going on. The profits are probably going to be slim on these.
post #81 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

The secret is to call ABT and ask for the deal. At the time my deal was $3,500 shipped. I guess now they will do even better. Let the bargains begin on these sets. No one should pay close to list for these sets, since the exclusive has been lifted. I do feel for the smaller merchants because I do think they are getting the sets after the initial demand has subsided and thus there will be more of a price war going on. The profits are probably going to be slim on these.

One person saying Abt received some units is not really a verification that the exclusive has been lifted. I'll wait until someone posts pictures of a set they received from Abt, or anywhere else, before I'll believe that.
post #82 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

One person saying Abt received some units is not really a verification that the exclusive has been lifted. I'll wait until someone posts pictures of a set they received from Abt, or anywhere else, before I'll believe that.


We'll see......I am looking around and I do see places like Cleveland Plasma and Value Electronics saying they will get these panels soon.....or July at the latest, no longer sometime in August.

Also, in reading the discussions you and AVJ had on Hi Def, I see you both confirm that sales on the VT as well as the ZT are "soft". That alone could justify the loss of the exclusive rights since Panasonic needs to get these sets out to a greater distribution in order to enhance sales.
Edited by Mixdoctor - 6/27/13 at 10:53am
post #83 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

One person saying Abt received some units is not really a verification that the exclusive has been lifted. I'll wait until someone posts pictures of a set they received from Abt, or anywhere else, before I'll believe that.

My pre-order went in with abt.com on 2/22/2013 - the day they put the ZT up on their website for $3499.99. When I called in to ask about delivery times, my sales rep informed me that they had given a further discount that past weekend (in-store only) for those pre-ordering a ZT and that knocked another $200 off since I would have to wait until late May/early June for the set. This was before the Magnolia exclusive was announced.

Believe what you will, but I highly doubt that abt would have been shipping me an empty box. They had already generated my freight tracking numbers when I cancelled my pre-order Tuesday night (TV was going out Wednesday morning) . I'm sure that a few of the other folks who ordered early will be getting their units shortly. Even my sales rep was surprised that they came in a month earlier than expected. Fortunately I'm happy with my second VT60 from BB. If my local BB would have been willing to work with me on a fair price for a ZT (which has a very similar cost to a VT), they could have gotten an extra $400-500 of pure profit out of me.
Edited by Influence - 6/27/13 at 1:21pm
post #84 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

My pre-order went in with abt.com on 2/22/2013 - the day they put the ZT up on their website for $3499.99. When I called in to ask about delivery times, my sales rep informed me that they had given a further discount that past weekend (in-store only) for those pre-ordering a ZT and that knocked another $200 off since I would have to wait until late May/early June for the set. This was before the Magnolia exclusive was announced.

Believe what you will, but I highly doubt that abt would have been shipping me an empty box. They had already generated my freight tracking numbers when I cancelled my pre-order Tuesday night (TV was going out Wednesday morning) . I'm sure that a few of the other folks who ordered early will be getting their units shortly. Even my sales rep was surprised that they came in a month earlier than expected. Fortunately I'm happy with my second VT60 from BB. If my local BB would have been willing to work with me on a fair price for a ZT (which has a very similar cost to a VT), they could have gotten an extra $400-500 of pure profit out of me.


Don't take it personally. Whatever happened, you still didn't receive a ZT from them. It could have been an error, or any number of things. I have to take what you are saying at face value. You received a tracking number. Then you cancelled your order. We still don't have confirmation of Abt actually delivering any ZT's.
post #85 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Don't take it personally. Whatever happened, you still didn't receive a ZT from them. It could have been an error, or any number of things. I have to take what you are saying at face value. You received a tracking number. Then you cancelled your order. We still don't have confirmation of Abt actually delivering any ZT's.

If by some chance ABT (and possibly others) are shipping them so soon, Would you say that the agreement by Panasonic was terminated unilaterally? Especially since you seem to have no knowledge that other stores have them or are close to getting these in stock.
post #86 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

If by some chance ABT (and possibly others) are shipping them so soon, Would you say that the agreement by Panasonic was terminated unilaterally? Especially since you seem to have no knowledge that other stores have them or are close to getting these in stock.

I would say that it would be a fair assumption. I would never say the agreement was terminated though, unless I knew for a fact that it had been. At this point, the exclusivity is still active. For the record, nobody on AVS has said they have knowledge that other stores actually have units in stock. Influence said that he had received a tracking number. That's it though.
post #87 of 1930
Hey, can anyone confirm the cost price of 65ZT60 at $2319.55?
post #88 of 1930
Best Buy - Magnolia exclusive on ZT is supposed to be through end of July. As told to me by Magnolia representative: "When exclusive is over, Panasonic dealer network is nowhere near as strong as Samsungs. Plus the Panasonics, at this regulated price have more margin in them than the Samsungs. As soon as the exclusive is over, ZT, VT and 8500 should drop significantly."
post #89 of 1930
My best buy said yes to $3500 for 65ZT, I thought about it and came back with $3300, they are still thinking about it. Maybe I will wait till after August 1 st. I'm now thinking $3000. My Gresham Oregon Magnolia store has yet to sell a ZT
post #90 of 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

My best buy said yes to $3500 for 65ZT, I thought about it and came back with $3300, they are still thinking about it. Maybe I will wait till after August 1 st. I'm now thinking $3000. My Gresham Oregon Magnolia store has yet to sell a ZT

Hey, Garman.

Good to meet another East PDXer here. I used to live in Gresham and am out there almost everyday picking up my kid from daycare. I've stopped in to that BB a number of times. Last time was about a month ago and the "expert" tehre told me the TV had been delayed yet again and it would probably be August or September before they arrived. I later found out that the Jantzen Beach store had already sold and delivered at least one.

Anyway - back on topic... I'm considering waiting now until the exclusive is lifted. If you got them to think about a $600 reduction I'm staring to think $2999 is not impossible. I'd kick myself if I overspent by $1000. I could buy a new AV receiver with that.

Cheers
Steven
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home