or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › XBox One?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XBox One? - Page 9

post #241 of 340
Maybe someone posted this and I missed it, but it is good info anyway:
Quote:
No ads on the home screen


Q: Will there be advertisements built into the dashboard like Xbox 360? How many?

A: We designed the Xbox One dashboard to make your favorite games and entertainment even more front and center. Advertisements will not be visible on the home screen, so you only see what’s most important to you.

Xbox Live Gold extends to anyone using your console


Q: How many people can be signed in to Xbox Live on a single Xbox One at one time?

A: We made that simple, it’s virtually unlimited. Our vision is to extend the great benefits of Xbox Live Gold membership to anyone in your home.

...We’re also announcing today a new benefit for Gold membership on Xbox One is the ability for anyone in your home to access many Xbox Live Gold benefits on your Xbox One at no additional cost. And the primary Xbox Live Gold membership travels with you to any Xbox One system.
http://gizmodo.com/the-good-news-about-xbox-one-that-microsoft-brushed-rig-513494087
post #242 of 340
Thread Starter 
post #243 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

NSA spying is orthogonal to the topic, they are legally compelled to do the NSA's bidding. Everything else though is their choice and if they make a public commitment not to do it then they will be legally liable if they break that promise. Breaking an explicit promise like that would be so legally risky that their in-house counsel would never let them do it.


Well since both Sony and MS are now saying that they will not be spying on people using Kinect or Move/Eye, we either choose to believe them or not. Legal protections aside, some will distrust these companies regardless fo what they say publicly.
post #244 of 340
Alright, in the hopes of sharing some new info on the X1, here are a few topics that have been reported on recently:



MS confirmed again that the X1 will offer unlimited cloud storage for game saves, media, etc. This is in contrast to the 500mb limit placed on the 360. This also isnt a new fact, MS mentioned this shortly before E3, but like much of the positive features, the gaming media largely ignored discussing them. That changed today when I saw a couple places posting it as if it just came about today.

The cloud storage is also available for all XBL users. On the 360, you had to have a Gold account for cloud storage, but the X1 gives the unlimited storage to free XBL and Gold users alike.


The next point is in regards to their indie developer policy. MS has stated months ago, at E3 I believe, that they would be announcing an indie program later on. Of course again, not many media outlets mention this. Instead, you get this drum beat that MS is ignoring indie devs and has nothing planned for them. So, big shock, MS announces a couple days ago what their indie plans are. They will be offering self publishing and even going as far as allowing any X1 to act as a dev kit. That means a developer can spend $500 on a dev kit vs the usual thousands of dollars. They will lay out the entire plan at Gamescom in August.

Fianlly, there is the story about a revelation concerning Sony. It was leaked and then confirmed by a couple different gaming journalists that the PS4 will dedicate 4.5GB of ram to gaming and reserve 3.5GB for its OS/features. That is in stark contrast to all the stories and assumptions on the internet saying that it would at most be 1GB for the os and 7GB for devs to use on games. I point this out only becuase that fact was used as part of the story that the X1 was vastly inferior and more evidence of MS 'not caring' about gamers, not being focused on them. So it turns out that in fact both systems allocate the same amount of ram for gaming (this news points to the X1 offering .5GB more, but I'll consider that a wash), and maybe MS is as focused on gaming as Sony is.


One thing I see thrown around alot of gmaing forums and even said by people/sites that claim to be gaming news sources on youtube is that the string of positive announcements show how much MS is just copying Sony and that these things hurt MS by being too much 'like' the PS4. That is utterly rediculous. Leave it to people on the internet to take positive news and spin it as a failure. It sure starts to sound like bias or fanboy thinking when positive news, that would be celebrated when its attached to another brand, is downplayed.
post #245 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper11 View Post

One thing I see thrown around alot of gmaing forums and even said by people/sites that claim to be gaming news sources on youtube is that the string of positive announcements show how much MS is just copying Sony and that these things hurt MS by being too much 'like' the PS4. That is utterly rediculous. Leave it to people on the internet to take positive news and spin it as a failure. It sure starts to sound like bias or fanboy thinking when positive news, that would be celebrated when its attached to another brand, is downplayed.

Hmmm....bash MS on the items they do differently than Sony and then bash MS on the things they do the same as Sony...

I am glad about the indy developers, some of the more interesting games come from them.
post #246 of 340
I believe the PS4 and Xbox ONE will have very similar specs and features. I'm holding out that my Fanatec sim gear will work on the ONE. So far no joy.mad.gif But things can change. Forza with a controller. :eek:Never
post #247 of 340
I thought I would update this thread with some recently revealed info from MS.



They announced some sharing features related to Gold. We already knew that you no longer need to buy a Gold Family pack since one Gold account is accessible by anyone logging into their own account on the X1 with a Gold account.

What they added was that you will designate one console as the 'Home' system and then if you go to another X1, you can log in and still use all the Gold features, apps and games you have bought. While your doing this, anyone on the 'Home' console still has access to everything as well.

I'm still waiting to hear about their app store.

They did lay out what would be part of the Gold subscription a few days ago, which includes IE, Skype and 'premium entertainment', but did not specifically mention other apps like Netflix. I'm waiting to hear if they plan to allow apps like that into the general app store and then offer some sort of premium service with Gold, such as a cheaper Netflix subscription (or Hulu Plus) or exclusive content.
post #248 of 340
Thread Starter 
But Microsoft still extracts a monthly or annual fee from your wallet.
post #249 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I believe the PS4 and Xbox ONE will have very similar specs and features. I'm holding out that my Fanatec sim gear will work on the ONE. So far no joy.mad.gif But things can change. Forza with a controller. :eek:Never

Not sure about the PS4, but the nice thing about the ONE is that it is a computer inside running Windows. This means someone will surely be able to hack together a driver for you. The question then becomes WILL someone do it if MS does not.
post #250 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

But Microsoft still extracts a monthly or annual fee from your wallet.

That's true, but its all about how you feel about what you get for that monthly or annual fee. I'm not against such a fee, but I think any perks tied to it need to not be services you can access for free on other devices. By that I mean that Netflix should be free to access as long as you have a paid for subscription with Netflix.

Now if MS wanted to offer a discount on a Netflix subscription or some kind of 'free' content from Netflix if you have Gold, that's more reasonable to me. I think the goal should be to offer extra content via Gold, not restricting access to media services entirely. The exception to that would be services that aren't available elsewhere, such as the game dvr features.


As I said though, they have yet to lay out their app store plans, so we are still missing the complete picture.
post #251 of 340
Thread Starter 
I'm pretty sure that they will have nothing that I want to pay for in their app store and especially not if I have to pay a recurring fee to access it.
post #252 of 340
Gold is routinely on sale for $40 a year, it's not that big a deal. Yeah I know, some people don't want to pay anything and you don't have to, just don't use the extra stuff.
post #253 of 340
Thread Starter 
Or get all that extra stuff for free and not pay for an Xbone or Xbox..

I don't game so there's really no value in it for me but others may see the value outside of the media options which then makes them a bonus. These are available elsewhere free of charge or without having to purchase a device.
post #254 of 340
I don't see the 5 dollars a month for Gold as a minus. I look at it like a netflix subscription or hulu. The way that Microsoft has been wanting to break into the TV market, I think it is a safe bet that they will be adding more and more programming through their xbox live account. Look at the new Halo series, NFL partnership and the Ten Network etc, and you begin to see that they are trying to bring more and more to this platform. With a larger subscriber base they can generate enough money to pay for the rights for more IPTV related programs right from the source as opposed from the cable/satellite companies. So I understand the argument that one doesn't want to pay for something they already get for free, because Halo and NFL are the only exclusives right now and the Ten Network I believe is Australian. However, I am betting/hoping that they increase their IPTV subscriptions to make it a viable cord cutting option in the future, all for the paltry some of 5 dollars a month.
post #255 of 340
Thread Starter 
Halo is a game right? If you are a gamer then you probably already pony up for the Gold subscription so there is no loss there.

As far as the NFL goes, do they really think that they can corner the NFL market and make a bunch of non-gamers not only have to buy an Xbone but also pay Microsoft for a Gold subscription? I don' think so and if the NFL thinks so they should maybe take another long hard look at that strategy.
post #256 of 340
Yes and No. Halo is also a Xbox exclusive TV series directed by Steven Spielberg. As far as the NFL goes, who knows the details right now. Some have suggested an expanded regional coverage (up to two more live games in addition to local network). However I'm thinking more along the lines of a $300 annual subscription fee for online streaming. Just another avenue for the NFL to get more money.
post #257 of 340
The whole concept of the Xbox One, and the origin of it's name, is to be on HDMI input #1 on every tv. Most houses probably have their cable boxes there, or if not their bluray player. They want this box to be your go-to source for all media which is kind of the reason most htpc users have one in the first place.
post #258 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

I don't see the 5 dollars a month for Gold as a minus. I look at it like a netflix subscription or hulu.
I already pay for netflix and hulu. I'm not giving Microsoft another penny just to pass it through their stupid box. Where is the added value? Maybe there is for gamers, but not for me. If they want me to use their box for all media, they'll let me do it without any extra fees. As long as they charge extra for things I'm already paying for, they won't be getting any of my business. Doesn't matter if it's $5 or 5 cents. It should be zero.
post #259 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I already pay for netflix and hulu. I'm not giving Microsoft another penny just to pass it through their stupid box. Where is the added value? Maybe there is for gamers, but not for me. If they want me to use their box for all media, they'll let me do it without any extra fees. As long as they charge extra for things I'm already paying for, they won't be getting any of my business. Doesn't matter if it's $5 or 5 cents. It should be zero.

Missing the point. Has nothing to do with netflix or hulu. You already pay for that. It's the for their unique programming like Halo TV series (which might be worth 5 dollars for the season subscription) and possibly streaming NFL games and the future IPTV offerings that I'm interested in paying for. If you want just Netflix and Hulu, stay with what ya got, but I'm just betting that they will be offering more online exclusives than what has been announced thus far in the future.
post #260 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Missing the point. Has nothing to do with netflix or hulu. You already pay for that. It's the for their unique programming like Halo TV series (which might be worth 5 dollars for the season subscription) and possibly streaming NFL games and the future IPTV offerings that I'm interested in paying for. If you want just Netflix and Hulu, stay with what ya got, but I'm just betting that they will be offering more online exclusives than what has been announced thus far in the future.
Hence my "added value" comment. If they do indeed add value with their own exclusive content in the future then it makes more sense. As it stands today, they are simply charging me to use what I'm already paying for.
post #261 of 340
The added value is the halo tv series and nfl currently, but I guess you don't consider that as added value, which is ok. However I think that it is good enough and that there will be more in the future.
post #262 of 340
Thread Starter 
Wait, for a non-gamer you're saying that a CGI TV series based on a video game and some NFL content is worth the Price of admission ($400 for the Xbone?) and a monthly fee?

Add to this bumping up against that data cap from your ISP and I see a massive extraction of cash from people's wallet. I don't understanding it.
post #263 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Wait, for a non-gamer you're saying that a CGI TV series based on a video game and some NFL content is worth the Price of admission ($400 for the Xbone?) and a monthly fee?

Add to this bumping up against that data cap from your ISP and I see a massive extraction of cash from people's wallet. I don't understanding it.

True. However, if you have an outdated HTPC and want to upgrade and not worry about building a new one. But point taken, $500 is a lot to gamble on pontential and there is no need for xbox one if you have a newer HTPC and have no interest in gaming.
post #264 of 340
I'm still waiting on word if MS will allow 360 peripherals to work on XBOX One. Namely Fanatec. Won't play Forza 5 w/o my sim rig.
post #265 of 340
NFL? As in all the games?
post #266 of 340
I have a hard time imagining that because Directv pays a fortune for that exclusive privilege. When you look at the other leagues like MLB and the NHL their out of market packages are available on most MSOs and they also sell their own internet streaming options. Sunday Ticket is ONLY available on Directv (though I seem to remember something about them dropping the exclusivity?)

I imagine it would be Redzone and/or the NFL Network. Probably access to game highlights and stuff like that.
post #267 of 340
I figured it could not be true, but was hopeful!
post #268 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I have a hard time imagining that because Directv pays a fortune for that exclusive privilege. When you look at the other leagues like MLB and the NHL their out of market packages are available on most MSOs and they also sell their own internet streaming options. Sunday Ticket is ONLY available on Directv (though I seem to remember something about them dropping the exclusivity?)

I imagine it would be Redzone and/or the NFL Network. Probably access to game highlights and stuff like that.

Your right, but with madden 25 anniversary including a Sunday Ticket pc, tablet and phone edition, looks like they are loosening their grip. They also have 2 years left on that contract, would be interesting to see what happens then.
post #269 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Your right, but with madden 25 anniversary including a Sunday Ticket pc, tablet and phone edition, looks like they are loosening their grip. They also have 2 years left on that contract, would be interesting to see what happens then.

Personally, I'm really hoping that the NFL drops DirecTV for streaming, and just rolls it out themselves (like what MLB does, and like what the NFL does for overseas subscribers). The NFL's own "Preseason Live" is a million times better for me than DirecTV's streaming has ever been.
post #270 of 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I'm pretty sure that they will have nothing that I want to pay for in their app store and especially not if I have to pay a recurring fee to access it.


By app store, I mean like the current Windows store. There are free apps and paid apps like you would expect.

The reason I'm hopeful that they roll out a standard store like that for the X1 is the media apps. The MediaBrowser team is already deep into producing an app for Win 8/Metro and are ready to make it work on the X1 if the store materializes. So far, all of the info MS has trickled out points to the development being the same on the X1 and Win 8, it just comes down to having an open store like the Windows Store.

I still think there is a good chance MS offers an open app store that does not require Gold while offering premium content or exclusive apps to Gold subscribers.


Either way, I'm not sure why this gets attacked as a bad thing. Of course no one is buying a gaming console just for its non gaming features, that's ridiculous. No one spends $400 or $500 on that type of thing unless its an htpc, which is far more versatile than a console. So this is all about selling to people that like to play games, but would also like to cut down on the boxes they have to manage in their home theater in order to access other media content.

I happen to fall into that category, so I am really hoping the open app store happens. To me, that is the feature that will really mean exciting possibilities for media access/control via the X1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › XBox One?