or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Star Trek: Into Darkness in Dolby Atmos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Trek: Into Darkness in Dolby Atmos - Page 4

post #91 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Thanks for your lousy contribution to this thread. rolleyes.gif

It was an honest opinion in the midst of posts about watching/listening to equipment and not the film.
post #92 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

It was an honest opinion in the midst of posts about watching/listening to equipment and not the film.

He said the film was lousy too.
post #93 of 106
I saw it last week at a brand new theater by me that used active shutter glasses and it gave me a killer headache
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Saw this in a regular theater and found the center to be mixed very loud and shrill. Phaser sound effects were especially brutal. A friend at a different theater felt the same.
I saw it yesterday and thought the exact opposite. During the opening sequence, I could barely hear the dialogue.
post #95 of 106
I also saw Star Trek into Darkness at a new Dolby Atmos theater in Paramus NJ. This theater has an extra large screen much like an IMAX screen. I found the sound location effects to be the best and most accurate of any theater I have visited. I hope that more movies are mastered with Atmos in mind. The extra two rows of speakers that go from the front to the back of the theater across the ceiling really help localize the sound effects. The only thing I did not enjoy about this experience was the $18.50 price of admission. This same multiplex has an Imax theater and I find that I enjoy the new Atmos theater even more.Luckily being close to New York City in a county of over a million people here in North New Jersey, we get all the latest theater technology. The 3D projection was also very bright as opposed to many theaters where the 3D projection seems to be dim.
post #96 of 106
I'm a Trekkie who has never taken Star Trek too seriously but enjoyed it over several decades and from time to time learned from it. While a part of me was somewhat distressed over the remake of the story line, I've still enjoyed both movies now - they are good entertainment, and they are sucking in a whole new generation of Trekkies! BTW, I thought that young Dr. Carol Marcus was a good foil against her rogue admiral father, and I hope that her character returns; like Uhura, she's smart, interesting, not a bad role model for girls, and absolute eye candy for the guys! And these days, the women can and do hold their own against the male leads in Star Trek!
post #97 of 106
My wife and I saw Star Trek at the local theater in Real D 3D. Totally disappointing! Not worth the extra that they charge.
post #98 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondtroy View Post

I thought that young Dr. Carol Marcus was a good foil against her rogue admiral father, and I hope that her character returns
Considering she is a crew member of the Enterprise (at least in this time line), she should be back.
post #99 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Considering she is a crew member of the Enterprise (at least in this time line), she should be back.

Just a hit and run here....I am soooo stoopid! Dr. Marcus! Duh! This whole freaking time I've been thinking about how that name had a "nice familiar ring" to it....OHHH, I can't believe myself! I even criticized her role in this movie, felt it was a plug character to make the play on Admiral Marcus work. DUH!
post #100 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Dr. Marcus! Duh! This whole freaking time I've been thinking about how that name had a "nice familiar ring" to it....
Yup, in the prime timeline she was a molecular biologist who was wary of the military, in the new timeline she is a Starfleet lieutenant with a PhD in applied physics (specializing in advanced weaponry) assigned to the Enterprise for its 5-year mission. Quite the change, including a different accent (due to being raised by her mother in England).
post #101 of 106
I saw Star Trek Into Darkness in Dolby Atmos at the Arclight Sherman Oaks, in theater 1 which I'm pretty sure is also THX approved, and it sounded great, really active surround mix. But the screen was a bit too small for the theater, I thought. I would estimate the screen was no more than 40 feet wide. Otherwise it was great, though.

I noticed it's about to play at the Regency Agoura Hills Stadium 8 starting on Friday in Dolby Atmos.

How good is that theater? I haven't been to it yet-is it worth the drive? And how big is the screen, approximately? I noticed it's also one of the few local theaters with D-Box.

Also, I noticed some local SOCAL members go to screenings together sometimes, but have never seen how/where to join them. I'd enjoy going to some screenings with fellow members, for something like Man of Steel which is coming up, in a Dolby Atmos theater.

Thanks! Enjoy!

Surround Man
post #102 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surround Man View Post

I noticed some local SOCAL members go to screenings together sometimes, but have never seen how/where to join them. I'd enjoy going to some screenings with fellow members, for something like Man of Steel which is coming up, in a Dolby Atmos theater.
I noticed that you might come to the SoCal meet on the 22nd. Keep an eye on the local meets thread to see if there a group trip to see MoS in Atmos.
post #103 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surround Man View Post

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness in Dolby Atmos at the Arclight Sherman Oaks, in theater 1 which I'm pretty sure is also THX approved, and it sounded great, really active surround mix. But the screen was a bit too small for the theater, I thought. I would estimate the screen was no more than 40 feet wide. Otherwise it was great, though.

I noticed it's about to play at the Regency Agoura Hills Stadium 8 starting on Friday in Dolby Atmos.

How good is that theater? I haven't been to it yet-is it worth the drive? And how big is the screen, approximately? I noticed it's also one of the few local theaters with D-Box.

Also, I noticed some local SOCAL members go to screenings together sometimes, but have never seen how/where to join them. I'd enjoy going to some screenings with fellow members, for something like Man of Steel which is coming up, in a Dolby Atmos theater.

Thanks! Enjoy!

Surround Man


Great idea! I'll work on planning a field trip and let folks know... BTW, I don't know the Regency Agoura Hills, but personally, I would run away from any venue that has D-Box; it makes me physically ill! That's not to say that others don't enjoy it; I'm sure many do. But not me!

post #104 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Great idea! I'll work on planning a field trip and let folks know...
Scott, if you do decide to do a field trip to see MoS in Atmos, could you post details in the following thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476234/man-of-steel-dolby-atmos

...and copy the info to the local home theatre meets thread.

We got almost a dozen people to show up for your AVS meet at T.H.E. Show. No reason we can't get just as many people to show up for the field trip.
post #105 of 106

I finally got o see this movie,

but not in "Dolby Atmos". Amc 20 claim it was in 4k using sony projector before the film started.

Gotta say i enjoyed it, i'm gonna have to say it was "loud" i mean i had to cover my ears in some spots. Not sure if it was hitting over 85 db. 

But in my experience the sound track sounded a bit bright to my taste. 

 

Did anyone notice lacking in LFE? I thought it was the movie or the speaker system our local cinema was using that wasn't setup right. :/

post #106 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

I finally got o see this movie,
but not in "Dolby Atmos". Amc 20 claim it was in 4k using sony projector before the film started.
Gotta say i enjoyed it, i'm gonna have to say it was "loud" i mean i had to cover my ears in some spots. Not sure if it was hitting over 85 db. 
But in my experience the sound track sounded a bit bright to my taste. 

Did anyone notice lacking in LFE? I thought it was the movie or the speaker system our local cinema was using that wasn't setup right. :/

Had to have been the speakers in the theater since STID had massive amounts of bass, even in the overhead speakers with Atmos (as I posted on page 2).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Star Trek: Into Darkness in Dolby Atmos