or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Rio Rancho NM: Two Antenna's or Amplifier?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rio Rancho NM: Two Antenna's or Amplifier?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am having intermittent problems with my signal I narrow it down to my preamp going bad (only lasted like 6 months) but was wondering if there was a better way of configuring my setup. Without the preamp I am getting good signal but once and a while my signal starts breaking up.

So I live in 87124 (RIo Rancho NM-believe all the towers are within 15 miles and I have a pretty clear shot) and have an old outdoor antenna outside. It has around 50-75ft of wire (satellite wire) which then gets split into a three way spliter one of the three goes into my dual tuner so its essentially split again (internally) so I would say there is really a 4 way spliter.

Now I already have another line ran and an old satelite dish mast and was wondering if it would be better to have two antennas with my dual tuner on one antenna and the other two tuners on the other antenna? Or would it be better to have a preamp? I had the RCA TVPRAMP1R and signal was OK but it has stopped working so I would prefer too just use two antennas since there would be no electronics to go bad. Do you guys think this would work?

EDIT:
Signal Report-

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddade087dba3c
Edited by bob2300NX - 5/25/13 at 5:55pm
post #2 of 10
Please add a location to ALL antenna help threads. See my edit and the sticky note at the top of the forum.

Posting a tvfool.com report is also recommended. Again, see the sticky.
post #3 of 10
It would also help if we can get a picture of your current antenna. Does it look something like this?

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/VU120.gif
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Please add a location to ALL antenna help threads. See my edit and the sticky note at the top of the forum.

Posting a tvfool.com report is also recommended. Again, see the sticky.

I do have a location but here is a tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddade087dba3c

I only care about channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 13, 19, and 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

It would also help if we can get a picture of your current antenna. Does it look something like this?

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/VU120.gif

Yes exactly like that.
post #5 of 10
According to your tv fool report, you should have no issues getting channels even with a 3 way splitter. It could be your antenna is not aimed correctly. In the pic of the antenna above, the right side of the picture is the front of the antenna and should aim east to the towers.
Also, if you still have the amp hooked up, bypass it completely by removing it, not just by unplugging it. I do not think you need an amp anyway.
post #6 of 10
You should try your signal without a splitter, if that fixes the problem you could have a bad splitter, if it doesn't you have antenna problems. If your antenna is OK, you need a distribution amplifier, not a pre-amp.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Graffman View Post

If your antenna is OK, you need a distribution amplifier, not a pre-amp.

Or a pre-amp designed for high input signal levels like the Winegard HDP-269. Available at Amazon, Solid Signal and others.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

According to your tv fool report, you should have no issues getting channels even with a 3 way splitter. It could be your antenna is not aimed correctly. In the pic of the antenna above, the right side of the picture is the front of the antenna and should aim east to the towers.
Also, if you still have the amp hooked up, bypass it completely by removing it, not just by unplugging it. I do not think you need an amp anyway.

I have bypassed the amp. I also replaced the antenna part gives you the coaxial connection (that screws in forgot the name), tested with the other 50-75ft run wire that I already had and same result. I did point the antenna with a compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Graffman View Post

You should try your signal without a splitter, if that fixes the problem you could have a bad splitter, if it doesn't you have antenna problems. If your antenna is OK, you need a distribution amplifier, not a pre-amp.

It is possible that I have a bad splitter thanks for pointing that out. Could you tell me the difference between distribution amp and pre-amp? Do these go bad often? My RCA has great reviews yet only lasted me a few months
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Or a pre-amp designed for high input signal levels like the Winegard HDP-269. Available at Amazon, Solid Signal and others.

Why go with this pre-amp vs an amp as the other guy suggested? What is the benefit? Could I achieve the same thing by just having two antennas?

For now I took out the three way splitter. I hooked the dual tuner up to an indoor antenna and have my other dual tuner (separate inputs) connected to the outdoor antenna. So far everything is working fine, if it keeps up maybe I will add a second outdoor antenna.
post #9 of 10
In general terms:

  • A pre-amp is intended to be mounted close to the antenna and boost low signal levels so they will be usable after a cable run. Cable has a signal loss and is proportional to its length and varies with frequency.
  • A distribution amplifier is useful for taking a signal, of nominal level (i.e., 0 dBMV) and distributing it to several outlets. If a distribution amplifier is used it should be carefully selected as many have a high noise figure and should not be used with low level signals.


If a signal, as received at the antenna terminals, is unusable (insufficient level, multi-path, etc.) then no add on device is going to help. In many cases simply rasing an antenna will do a lot to improve reception. There are some cases where lowering the antenna will help. Aim with a compass to get you in the ballpark then use your level and/or quality indicator to tweak the aiming.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
One problem I have found is my antenna is not grounded. Could this be the cause of my problems? Or while it is important the ground is really for safety against surge reasons or does it make a difference in signal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Rio Rancho NM: Two Antenna's or Amplifier?