or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 122

post #3631 of 11380
Try contrast instead.
post #3632 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

I just got a new 65" ZT and the picture, in daylight,is a bit dim. I tried turning up the Brightness level but it doesn't seem to "stick" once I hit return even the the newly selected level remains on the slide chart. How do I get the picture to actually get brighter?
THX Bright Room
post #3633 of 11380
Thx, Sammy & Repete. The THX worked. It wasn't an available choice at first but popped up later.
post #3634 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Let me preface by saying that for the time being I am using the Sound and Vision settings with the motion smoother turned off on my ZT60 and am very happy with the picture quality. that being said, the motion judder on the test scene material on the Spears and Munsel calibration disc is awful though I have yet to notice it in real time on movies (Iron Man 3).

Of course it could be something the BluRay player is doing wrong. I'm currently using a Panasonic DMP-BD89.
I'll have to check the settings when I get home and edit my post so that others can comment specifically - any advice would be helpful.

Cheers
Steven

I have the Spears & Munsil 2nd edition blu ray. My blu ray player is an OPPO BDP-95 set to output ‘source direct’/RGB video level HDMI output and I don’t remember seeing any serious motion judder issues on the test patterns. Another thing the ZT handles much better is scrolling text like the ESPN bottom line or news banners. My VT30 struggled with some of that type of scrolling text but so far all scrolling text looks very smooth on the ZT.
post #3635 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnilam1 View Post

I just got a new 65" ZT and the picture, in daylight, is a bit dim. I tried turning up the Brightness level but it doesn't seem to "stick" once I hit return even though the newly selected level remains on the slide chart. How do I get the picture to actually get brighter?

Also make sure CATS is off and, if your set has it’s panel brightness set to “LOW” you might want to try “MID”. I see THX helped so, you may not need my suggestions but figured I’d throw them out there anyway just in case.
post #3636 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvision7m View Post

I have the Spears & Munsil 2nd edition blu ray. My blu ray player is an OPPO BDP-95 set to output ‘source direct’/RGB video level HDMI output and I don’t remember seeing any serious motion judder issues on the test patterns. Another thing the ZT handles much better is scrolling text like the ESPN bottom line or news banners. My VT30 struggled with some of that type of scrolling text but so far all scrolling text looks very smooth on the ZT.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't run the motion test patterns so I can't comment on them. I was referring to the reference material on the disc. Specifically the lighthouse video. There are a few pans - one in particular that is an upward pan up the face of one of the towers that shudders terribly. Like I said I didn't notice anything with normal film viewing.

BTW - Since you're using S&M to calibrate - I had a heck of a time getting contrast dialed in. In order to get results as described inthe instructions I had to set the contrast at like 20-25 if I recall correctly. That seemed incredibly low. Maybe I just like a more vivid image than reference.

That being said - even D-Nice's calibration settings for contrast in ISF Night mode is 58.

Just curious what you found.

Cheers
Steven
post #3637 of 11380
I've a economy samsung which is a good tv and it has the side to side panning judder,but for the first time I noticed an upward pan and was surprised how badly it juddered.Fortunately panning shots don't happen often.
post #3638 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't run the motion test patterns so I can't comment on them. I was referring to the reference material on the disc. Specifically the lighthouse video. There are a few pans - one in particular that is an upward pan up the face of one of the towers that shudders terribly. Like I said I didn't notice anything with normal film viewing.

BTW - Since you're using S&M to calibrate - I had a heck of a time getting contrast dialed in. In order to get results as described inthe instructions I had to set the contrast at like 20-25 if I recall correctly. That seemed incredibly low. Maybe I just like a more vivid image than reference.

That being said - even D-Nice's calibration settings for contrast in ISF Night mode is 58.

Just curious what you found.

Cheers
Steven

I purchased the Spears & Munsil disc primarily to verify the correct output/input settings on the ZT60 and my blu ray player. I didn’t use the disc for any calibration as D-Nice calibrated it. I’ve watched the demo material on the disc and it all looks pretty good to me, I didn’t see any concerning judder effects. I have my ZT set to 96Hz/1080P direct ON - overscan off H size 1 and do not use the motion smoother. I do see some pretty minor judder on bright fields during pans occasionally but especially compared to my VT30, its doesn’t bother me in the least. Also, I haven’t seen any of the false contouring I used to see on the VT30 either.
post #3639 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillimthb89 View Post

My new set has banding on the right side of the screen at about 2" to 3" without considering the bezel. What would resolve the vertical bandings?9ebrkD
This has been reported by a number of people, myself included. The consensus seems to be that it's more pronounced on slides than it is on standard viewing content and that it fades with time. At ~500 hours I can see it on a blank white screen if I'm looking for it but never notice it during normal viewing. Naturally, YMMV.
post #3640 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillimthb89 View Post

My new set has banding on the right side of the screen at about 2" to 3" without considering the bezel. What would resolve the vertical bandings?9ebrkD

Strange how it appeared on my ZT. When I very first got the set home, after it had been broken in for the 300 hours using slides and then calibrated by D-Nice, I didn't see any screen issues at all.

After about two weeks of use or so, I noticed a faint veritcal line down the very right side of the screen and occasionally what appeared like vertical white streaks on that same side of the screen after some very bright content had displayed. As time has moved on, I haven't seen those white streaks for a while but I still do notice the very faint vertical line on the right side of the screen during certain scenes. During most content and most of the time I'm using the set the vertical line is completely invisible but on some scenes, with just the right amount of brightness/color I guess, it's still there nonetheless.

I still haven't decided if its worth the trouble to have a tech come out and try to correct it somehow or if I should just leave it alone. As soon as I noticed both issues I contacted Panasonic and had a case started with them so there's at least a history if I decide to make the call.
post #3641 of 11380

Ahh, I joined owners of P-65ZT60. July 2013 production # A08714.

I had my eyes set on this monitor for months and finaly after managing to convince my wife it was a necessary purchase I pulled the trigger. Once mounted on my TV console set looks fantastic! Love the trim and the stand!

 

So far I've set it up using Sound and Vision settings for 2D and 3D and here are some of my observations;

Fans - ouch, noise is there! more of a whine and with low valume it might be a bit annoying to some. For me it's not much of an issue, but I am going to contact Panny for the fix asap.

Screen - so far completely uniform with no defects. I am running D-Nice's slides when not watching( work sucks so much right now!).

Picture - once set up using Sound and Vision settings HD sources for 2D and 3D, picture is simply amazing!

In 2D Blu-Ray and AppleTV; I watched Monsters & Aliens, Pacific Rim and some of Madagascar 3 - amazing. Colors were wonderful, blacks and shadows resolution stunning!

The S&V settings did not do as well for FiosTV SD&HD channels. There is some green casting a and a bit of blue creep as well - so will need to play a bit with that. Might try CNET settings for this.

3D - I was not too happy with DHX 3D mode but once I installed S&V settings it made a huge difference. I watched at least 30-60 minutes of Avengers, Avatar and Hugo from BluRay 3D player and experiance was out of this world! Colors, even brightnes and resolution made an enormous impact. It was simply enjoyable!

 

All in all, I am amazed at the quality of this monitor. Screw the fans when I can enjoy such a wonderful picture quality! Images pop out of the screen with such depth that it creates an illusion of 3D. I just wish I had more time to sit with my jaw dropped and just stare, and stare!

 

Ahhh, sorry for the length of this post, but I am still under the spell of ZT60! - Hope my wifey don't read this ;) Now I can see for myself what you all were raving about!        

 

I already talked to Kevin Miller about callibration and once I got the 300+hrs he's going to tune my baby up!!! Can't wait!

post #3642 of 11380
I'm lucky, that vertical line on the right-hand side has completely vanished on my set (now at 900+ hours).

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend watching football for long stretches unless you plan on running the screen wipe (or similar) during the entirety of the intervening week. Mine is quite susceptible to stationary graphics and even after 15 hours or more of the screen wipe, I can still see traces of the outline of the Fox sports scoreboard graphic on a white screen. "A white screen, so what?" you may ask, but cumulative wear is a concern. Other small complaints to those on the fence: One faulty pixel developed at 3 months into ownership (not visible from my typical seating distance) and there is a slight dirty-screen effect on horizontal scans (likely due to the imperfect application of the AR filter).
post #3643 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodzio View Post

Ahh, I joined owners of P-65ZT60. July 2013 production # A08714.
I had my eyes set on this monitor for months and finaly after managing to convince my wife it was a necessary purchase I pulled the trigger. Once mounted on my TV console set looks fantastic! Love the trim and the stand!

So far I've set it up using Sound and Vision settings for 2D and 3D and here are some of my observations;
Fans - ouch, noise is there! more of a whine and with low valume it might be a bit annoying to some. For me it's not much of an issue, but I am going to contact Panny for the fix asap.
Screen - so far completely uniform with no defects. I am running D-Nice's slides when not watching( work sucks so much right now!).
Picture - once set up using Sound and Vision settings HD sources for 2D and 3D, picture is simply amazing!
In 2D Blu-Ray and AppleTV; I watched Monsters & Aliens, Pacific Rim and some of Madagascar 3 - amazing. Colors were wonderful, blacks and shadows resolution stunning!
The S&V settings did not do as well for FiosTV SD&HD channels. There is some green casting a and a bit of blue creep as well - so will need to play a bit with that. Might try CNET settings for this.
3D - I was not too happy with DHX 3D mode but once I installed S&V settings it made a huge difference. I watched at least 30-60 minutes of Avengers, Avatar and Hugo from BluRay 3D player and experiance was out of this world! Colors, even brightnes and resolution made an enormous impact. It was simply enjoyable!

All in all, I am amazed at the quality of this monitor. Screw the fans when I can enjoy such a wonderful picture quality! Images pop out of the screen with such depth that it creates an illusion of 3D. I just wish I had more time to sit with my jaw dropped and just stare, and stare!

Ahhh, sorry for the length of this post, but I am still under the spell of ZT60! - Hope my wifey don't read this wink.gif Now I can see for myself what you all were raving about!        

I already talked to Kevin Miller about callibration and once I got the 300+hrs he's going to tune my baby up!!! Can't wait!

Fantastic TV, great calibrator. You're all set man. Hope you continue to enjoy the ZT experience especially after its calibrated to it's max performance.
post #3644 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend watching football for long stretches unless you plan on running the screen wipe (or similar) during the entirety of the intervening week. Mine is quite susceptible to stationary graphics and even after 15 hours or more of the screen wipe, I can still see traces of the outline of the Fox sports scoreboard graphic on a white screen. "A white screen, so what?" you may ask, but cumulative wear is a concern.

I saw another poster say he got IR from football, and I just don't have that. I watched (well, had playing) 2 different games in a row Sunday, plus some of the World Series and I don't have even a hint of IR. Strange.
post #3645 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm lucky, that vertical line on the right-hand side has completely vanished on my set (now at 900+ hours).

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend watching football for long stretches unless you plan on running the screen wipe (or similar) during the entirety of the intervening week. Mine is quite susceptible to stationary graphics and even after 15 hours or more of the screen wipe, I can still see traces of the outline of the Fox sports scoreboard graphic on a white screen. "A white screen, so what?" you may ask, but cumulative wear is a concern. Other small complaints to those on the fence: One faulty pixel developed at 3 months into ownership (not visible from my typical seating distance) and there is a slight dirty-screen effect on horizontal scans (likely due to the imperfect application of the AR filter).

Man it pisses me off that so many channels can't help themselves but to have all these different onscreen bugs/graphics/logos most of the time that I'm watching anyting. Football is the worst on a few if not all of these channels, there's the score ticker at the bottom of the screen, the score box in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then that stupid fox sports bug in the upper right hand side of the screen. How wonderful would it be to be able to just watch a football game with none of that taking up on screen real estate? Where the currently watched game's scoreboard shows up every minute or so instead of being constant. Or, maybe if the cable box gave you the choice of seing score information in intervals, not at all, at the end of every quarter or constantly. I know, I'm dreaming and it'll never happen but it's a hell of a nice thought.

I've noticed a little I.R. while watching football but I haven't noticed anything that has stuck for any real period of time thankfully. I occassionally see the dirty screen effect during horizontal pans also but it's only once in a while and appears to have gotten better somehow (or I've just gotten used to it and stopped obsessing over it) than from when I very first noticed it.
post #3646 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm lucky, that vertical line on the right-hand side has completely vanished on my set (now at 900+ hours).

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend watching football for long stretches unless you plan on running the screen wipe (or similar) during the entirety of the intervening week. Mine is quite susceptible to stationary graphics and even after 15 hours or more of the screen wipe, I can still see traces of the outline of the Fox sports scoreboard graphic on a white screen. "A white screen, so what?" you may ask, but cumulative wear is a concern. Other small complaints to those on the fence: One faulty pixel developed at 3 months into ownership (not visible from my typical seating distance) and there is a slight dirty-screen effect on horizontal scans (likely due to the imperfect application of the AR filter).

What is your contrast set at if I may ask? I keep mine between 50 and 60 on my VT60. I posted before that I think that I notice more IR once I bump it to 60, but that is not a very high contrast setting and we shouldn't be limited to having it set so low to avoid this long term IR.
post #3647 of 11380
FWIW, my contrast is 60, brightness 0, THX Cinema. I'm at 126 hours now and haven't even tried adjusting any of the stuff other than to turn off the motion smoothing, play around with 48/60/96 on 1080P/24, stuff like that. I haven't tried any other modes, THX Cinema seems just about dead nuts on as far as I can tell. I'd like to get a full on professional calibration at some point, but I'm hundreds of miles from any major metropolitan area, not much chance of any of the heavy hitters dropping by my place.
post #3648 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

What is your contrast set at if I may ask? I keep mine between 50 and 60 on my VT60. I posted before that I think that I notice more IR once I bump it to 60, but that is not a very high contrast setting and we shouldn't be limited to having it set so low to avoid this long term IR.
I was using THX bright room's default at 100 (since watching in the day). I guess that could have an impact, lol. At night I use Professional mode set to around 74. I went ahead and lowered THX bright room to 60, but I might bump it up a bit more for daytime viewing since I have a considerable number of windows.
post #3649 of 11380
My contrast is at 100. I watch NFL all day long every Sunday & I've seen IR only once. It was while I was playing a PS3 game on THX Cinema (pre-calibration) and the fixed HUD caused a bit of IR. The funny thing is, it was only part of the HUD. Now that I think about it, it was just the part that overlayed the vertical band along the right side.
Coincidence or conspiracy?
post #3650 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

My contrast is at 100. I've seen IR once. I was playing a game on THX Cinema pre-calibration and the fixed HUD caused a bit of IR. The funny thing is, it was only part of the HUD. Now that I think about it, it was just the part that overlayed the vertical band along the right side.
Coincidence or conspiracy?

Conspiracy! C. O. N. spiracy! Hahaha.
post #3651 of 11380
Just bought a zt60. Is there a blu ray player that will best exploit this tv's capabilities the best? I'm operating off a 2 year old Panasonic right now.
post #3652 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrwash13 View Post

Just bought a zt60. Is there a blu ray player that will best exploit this tv's capabilities the best? I'm operating off a 2 year old Panasonic right now.
Virtually all Blu-rays should be effectively the same when it comes to presenting an accurate signal to your display. Load time, DVD upscaling, features, etc. are another matter.
post #3653 of 11380
I watched football all day Sunday and watched the Packers at Vikings game Sunday night. I had no issues with IR.
post #3654 of 11380
Scoreboard outline is still there. Panasonic may be getting a call soon.
post #3655 of 11380
Has anyone heard how much longer panny will be shipping the ZT series, am still undecided and would much pefer making my decision around Feb. or Mar. if possible.
post #3656 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemike View Post

Has anyone heard how much longer panny will be shipping the ZT series, am still undecided and would much pefer making my decision around Feb. or Mar. if possible.
According to Panasonic, the only source that is really able to answer that question, they'll still be in the plasma business for years to come. I'm not sure we can count on them for reliable information though. A better indication would be retail stock. I've seen nothing but I think it's safe to say they'll be producing them for at least a little while longer.
post #3657 of 11380
I get IR constantly. It goes away after a few seconds. The longest I've noticed it for was between 1-2 minutes and it disappeared after a moving image. I noticed it happens most when I first turn the panel on but this is probably because I have static images from all my devices. I don't watch much TV spend 90% of my time watching movies. I was worried about IR but this isn't bad. Coming from LED motion is spectacular. No blur and judder is very minimal. Recently watched The Purge and Only God Forgives, GREAT films to show off the blacks on your ZT. Friend had The Purge on her Sharp LED. The same scenes which had so much detail and depth on the ZT were completely black on the LED.

I am still wondering if they are manufacturing this TV. I haven't seen anyone say they have an August panel. The latest month I heard of was July, that's what my panel is (# 10,000 something). Anyone have an August or later panel?
post #3658 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemike View Post

Has anyone heard how much longer panny will be shipping the ZT series, am still undecided and would much pefer making my decision around Feb. or Mar. if possible.

Panny just announced they are ending production in December and will have totally wound down plasma business by March. This was posted today on flatpanelsHD.com. Get one while you can!
post #3659 of 11380
^^^ frown.giffrown.gif What a sad day, here is the link >>>>> http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1383210619

-- I hope that Samsung does NOT stop production smile.gif
post #3660 of 11380
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemike View Post

Has anyone heard how much longer panny will be shipping the ZT series, am still undecided and would much pefer making my decision around Feb. or Mar. if possible.
In light of this article you may want to move your timeline up a bit. From Consumer Reports:
Quote:
In a statement issued in Japan, Panasonic said it would stop making plasma panels in December of this year, and it will stop selling plasma TVs in March 2014.
Panasonic's press release confirming the shutdown.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread