or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 188

post #5611 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebi View Post

Yes, there have been a lot of complaints from owners about the lack of brightness, but I think they both exchanged their sets so we haven't heard anything since.

The rest of us think it's fine.

There are absolutely no brightness issues at all with the ZT60 unless you are in a bright room.

In a dark room the tv is bright enough and if all the lights are out it will be too bright on certain bright content.

Ive watched a few tv shows and a full screen movie here and there and didnt think the tv had a dim picture. Though i did wonder how a brighter picture would look

I will echo the sentiment.

I think that the brightness concerns come from Value Electronics Shootout and a few people who complain because they expect LCD like brightness on ZT.

Regarding ZT vs VT vs F8500 brightness, David Katzmaier who reviewed ZT for CNET attended Value Electronics Shootout. He commented that he could not see brightness difference between ZT and VT at the event. He also mentioned that ZT measured brighter than VT in some picture modes when he reviewed them. However, he saw the brightness difference between VT/ZT and F8500 at the event and clearly stated F8500 brightness strength in his review, so if the brightness is very important, F8500 or a LCD tv would be a better choice.

From my experience, ZT has more than enough brightness. Not once, I watched the set and thought that it was not bright enough. In fact, I find an overly bright picture unnatural and tireing. HDTVs are not calibrated for high brightness output for a reason, and it is one of the main reasons that all 3 pros did not pick F8500 at the event.

ZT has an excellent filter, which combats reflections and preserves blacks well in a bright room. Therefore, ZT does not need to be very bright to look good in a bright room. Of course, if you have sunlight directly on the screen, the filter will not help you much, but no tv will look great under these conditions. My room has a large side window. I keep the blinders closed, but I live in Texas, so I still get plenty of sunshine in my room. Again, ZT brightness is not an issue during a day.
post #5612 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Thanks. There have to be some manual settings to tweak to get it to look good...
Indeed, adjusting the ISO is one of them and of course using a tripod or similar method of stabilization is another rule of thumb. I have no decent camera currently, so the effort will have to wait.
post #5613 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

I will echo the sentiment.

I think that the brightness concerns come from Value Electronics Shootout and a few people who complain because they expect LCD like brightness on ZT.

Regarding ZT vs VT vs F8500 brightness, David Katzmaier who reviewed ZT for CNET attended Value Electronics Shootout. He commented that he could not see brightness difference between ZT and VT at the event. He also mentioned that ZT measured brighter than VT in some picture modes when he reviewed them. However, he saw the brightness difference between VT/ZT and F8500 at the event and clearly stated F8500 brightness strength in his review, so if the brightness is very important, F8500 or a LCD tv would be a better choice.

From my experience, ZT has more than enough brightness. Not once, I watched the set and thought that it was not bright enough. In fact, I find an overly bright picture unnatural and tireing. HDTVs are not calibrated for high brightness output for a reason, and it is one of the main reasons that all 3 pros did not pick F8500 at the event.

ZT has an excellent filter, which combats reflections and preserves blacks well in a bright room. Therefore, ZT does not need to be very bright to look good in a bright room. Of course, if you have sunlight directly on the screen, the filter will not help you much, but no tv will look great under these conditions. My room has a large side window. I keep the blinders closed, but I live in Texas, so I still get plenty of sunshine in my room. Again, ZT brightness is not an issue during a day.

Ill echo the ZTs excellent filter. It is superb at keeping black content black in ambient light conditions. In fact, I find the black levels deeper with my pot lights on than what the ZT is capable of with the lights off. The filter is just that good.

with the pot lights on the black bars ontop and below are exceedingly inky black even with low apl content as opposed to the black bars with the lights off they seem really dark dark grey ish
post #5614 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Anybody know then how to use a receivers 24p processing over the ZT60s?

My Denon X4000 has superb video processing and I want to use that over the ZT60 but each time I setup it up the 24p mode on the ZT gets enabled and its adding it owns processing to the processed signal already.

How do I keep the signal clean and unaltered from the Denon?

I figured out what I need to do. Set the Ps3 to output 1080/24p --> Denon processes the 1080/24p ---> set the tvs refresh rate = silky smooth film-like video

I was under the impression a refresh rate was adding its own processing to the mix but it doesnt if the Denon is adding the correct cadence.
post #5615 of 11385
Vinne97, I got a question for you about your Kuro

On a complete black screen with white letters in middle being displayed ( like the dark knight or the dark knight rises end of the movie before the credits ) in a pitch black room does the display blend into the pitch black room?

Or are you able to make out the display because there isnt enough brightness within the picture to blend the display with the room?

Thanks
post #5616 of 11385
I don't own it anymore (sold it over the summer), but I'm pretty confident it did not. Memory can be notoriously unreliable. It wouldn't hurt to ask the question in one of the Kuro owner threads, however.
post #5617 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

FWIW, my ZT is built in April, and I do not have any issues with fan noise. I can only hear the fans when I go behind the tv and put my ear 5 inches away from the fans.


+1. My 60" zt60 that just arrived yesterday is built in October.
post #5618 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Vinne97, I got a question for you about your Kuro

On a complete black screen with white letters in middle being displayed ( like the dark knight or the dark knight rises end of the movie before the credits ) in a pitch black room does the display blend into the pitch black room?

Or are you able to make out the display because there isnt enough brightness within the picture to blend the display with the room?

Thanks

Yes, it blends into the background in a pitch dark room. I have the 5020, which was Pioneer's last low end model.
post #5619 of 11385
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:14pm
post #5620 of 11385
Wow...Amazon price has dropped below Paul's TV Cyber Monday sale redface.gif
post #5621 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Vinne97, I got a question for you about your Kuro

On a complete black screen with white letters in middle being displayed ( like the dark knight or the dark knight rises end of the movie before the credits ) in a pitch black room does the display blend into the pitch black room?

Or are you able to make out the display because there isnt enough brightness within the picture to blend the display with the room?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I don't own it anymore (sold it over the summer), but I'm pretty confident it did not. Memory can be notoriously unreliable. It wouldn't hurt to ask the question in one of the Kuro owner threads, however.

It did not what? It did not blend into a pitch black background with small to very little apl?

Or

It did not become noticeable in a pitch black room with little to no apl?

The reason why Im asking is because I spent a few hours today watching reference type blurays in a pitch black room to see how the black levels compare and how relative the stuff I saw was to the reviews of the ZT60 where the reviews talked about its comparison to the Kuro and how the ZT60 held the lead by a small margin especially in shadow detail which made me curious about how well the kuro performed on its own especially with very very low apl content such as credits and the dark night movie title at the end of the movie
post #5622 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post

Wow...Amazon price has dropped below Paul's TV Cyber Monday sale redface.gif

 

That is not a good sign, probably only hundreds left

post #5623 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post



Yes, it blends into the background in a pitch dark room. I have the 5020, which was Pioneer's last low end model.

Hey

It blends into the background of a pitch dark room with every type of material? What about low to very low apl content? How about when a movies credits comes up?
post #5624 of 11385
Man, this obsession. smile.gif I was answering your first question but, again, memory from 6 months ago is not reliable enough.

My "it did not" pertains to the first question you asked:
Quote:
On a complete black screen with white letters in middle being displayed ( like the dark knight or the dark knight rises end of the movie before the credits ) in a pitch black room does the display blend into the pitch black room?
It did not blend on low APL content, as even the much lauded Kuros have a phosphor glow.
Edited by vinnie97 - 12/28/13 at 1:08am
post #5625 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunday View Post

That is not a good sign, probably only hundreds left
116 to be exact. wink.gif
post #5626 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Vinne97, I got a question for you about your Kuro

On a complete black screen with white letters in middle being displayed ( like the dark knight or the dark knight rises end of the movie before the credits ) in a pitch black room does the display blend into the pitch black room?

Or are you able to make out the display because there isnt enough brightness within the picture to blend the display with the room?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I don't own it anymore (sold it over the summer), but I'm pretty confident it did not. Memory can be notoriously unreliable. It wouldn't hurt to ask the question in one of the Kuro owner threads, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Man, this obsession. smile.gif I was answering your first question but, again, memory from 6 months ago is not reliable enough.

My "it did not" pertains to the first question you asked:
It did not blend on low APL content, as even the much lauded Kuros have a phosphor glow.


Interesting to hear. I was just looking at some screenshots posted in the Kuro thread and was amazed at how absolute black the kuro was. It seemed like it was an OLED in atleast 90% of the screenshots and since my ZT60 doesnt even produce blacks that inky with low apl content especially rolling credits in a pitch black room a light bulb went off in my head and made me think if I should pick up a kuro while i still can!
post #5627 of 11385
You're looking at the photos on an LCD screen, are you not? You are simply not getting a completely accurate representation of what the photographers are seeing in person.
post #5628 of 11385
Please observe how ST60 looks on your display before jumping to any conclusions: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475972/official-panasonic-st-gt-vt-zt60-pictures-thread (there are a few VT/ZT pix, but the best are obviously taken by Urga).
post #5629 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You're looking at the photos on an LCD screen, are you not? You are simply not getting a completely accurate representation of what the photographers are seeing in person.

Yea I am. My laptop to be exact smile.gif I know it isnt calibrated but still...I just looked to good to be true.

I guess OLEDs will give that true black look then. Those and full array local dimming LEDs
post #5630 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You can use an XML reader to get his settings. IE is the default program that loads them on my Windows 7 machine, which is how I manually input them.

Vinnie, please excuse my computer ignorance. When I double click on the files, they open up in Notepad and are thus useless. How else can I open these XML documents so that they're readable? Thanks.
post #5631 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunday View Post

That is not a good sign, probably only hundreds left
Probably less than that. Nothing like giving them away till they are gone...........
post #5632 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

I will echo the sentiment.

I think that the brightness concerns come from Value Electronics Shootout and a few people who complain because they expect LCD like brightness on ZT.

Regarding ZT vs VT vs F8500 brightness, David Katzmaier who reviewed ZT for CNET attended Value Electronics Shootout. He commented that he could not see brightness difference between ZT and VT at the event. He also mentioned that ZT measured brighter than VT in some picture modes when he reviewed them. However, he saw the brightness difference between VT/ZT and F8500 at the event and clearly stated F8500 brightness strength in his review, so if the brightness is very important, F8500 or a LCD tv would be a better choice.

From my experience, ZT has more than enough brightness. Not once, I watched the set and thought that it was not bright enough. In fact, I find an overly bright picture unnatural and tireing. HDTVs are not calibrated for high brightness output for a reason, and it is one of the main reasons that all 3 pros did not pick F8500 at the event.

ZT has an excellent filter, which combats reflections and preserves blacks well in a bright room. Therefore, ZT does not need to be very bright to look good in a bright room. Of course, if you have sunlight directly on the screen, the filter will not help you much, but no tv will look great under these conditions. My room has a large side window. I keep the blinders closed, but I live in Texas, so I still get plenty of sunshine in my room. Again, ZT brightness is not an issue during a day.

I was one of the individuals who posted comments bashing the ZT for lack of brightness. I decided to have the panel calibrated before exchanging it. It was actually calibrated with panel brightness set to high and it looks perfect. Night Mode is around 34fL and day mode is close to 40fL. Gamma, color gamut, and white balance are dead on and more importantly PQ is superb! I am hoping to be able to post some photos in the future to show what this panel is capable of doing.
post #5633 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Vinnie, please excuse my computer ignorance. When I double click on the files, they open up in Notepad and are thus useless. How else can I open these XML documents so that they're readable? Thanks.

You can Right Click on the file then Open With internet explorer if it's on the list. If you can't find the program look in program files or program files x86 for the internet explorer folder, in there it's iexplorer.
post #5634 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

You can Right Click on the file then Open With internet explorer if it's on the list. If you can't find the program look in program files or program files x86 for the internet explorer folder, in there it's iexplorer.

When I right click on the file I don't get the Open With option. I only get Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties...
post #5635 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

I figured out what I need to do. Set the Ps3 to output 1080/24p --> Denon processes the 1080/24p ---> set the tvs refresh rate = silky smooth film-like video

I was under the impression a refresh rate was adding its own processing to the mix but it doesnt if the Denon is adding the correct cadence.
Game mode should also turn off the processing.
post #5636 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

When I right click on the file I don't get the Open With option. I only get Open, Cut, Copy, Delete, and Properties...

Try this:

Open Internet explorer
hit the Alt key
click File
click Open
click Browse and look for the file
click on that then Ok

To get the xml file to open when you click on it go to

Control Panel
Default Programs
Associate
scroll down to .xml and highlight
click change program above on the right
select or browse for IE
Edited by whipit - 12/28/13 at 10:46am
post #5637 of 11385
Thanks for filling in, whipit. That is quite a limited context menu you have there, myared. Which OS?
post #5638 of 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander View Post

I was one of the individuals who posted comments bashing the ZT for lack of brightness. I decided to have the panel calibrated before exchanging it. It was actually calibrated with panel brightness set to high and it looks perfect. Night Mode is around 34fL and day mode is close to 40fL. Gamma, color gamut, and white balance are dead on and more importantly PQ is superb! I am hoping to be able to post some photos in the future to show what this panel is capable of doing.
Ronald Epstein, are you reading this? smile.gif
post #5639 of 11385

Yup. I am reading this.

 

Been trying to reach out to D-NICE (DeWayne) to find out if he would be able to calibrate my display that high.

 

...but last I talked to him on the phone (a few weeks ago) he suggested I may have a defective display.

 

Reached out to him again over the past few days. So far, I have not heard back from him.  I don't know if he is logging in here.

 

I have one more week to decide whether to keep or trade the ZT60.

post #5640 of 11385
Ah, if there's any inclination that it's defective, I wouldn't want to be saddled with it either. Sorry to hear it. I remember NewEnglander was very displeased in the beginning of ownership (unless I'm thinking of someone else) particularly because of complaints of dimness.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread