or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 192

post #5731 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

Panasonic did a sloppy job with IR on 2012/2013 TV but you always can pause it from source player and leave the TV off,when you get back just turn the TV on,whats the big deal here!!!!!!!!!!why would you leave the TV on for extended period of times when nobody watching it!!!!!!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Well, its no so much me but I have a wife and a 2 1/2 year old. This means a few things:
-Wife is not as attentive as I am when it comes to these things, especially with a 2 1/2 year old running around.
-A lot of content that we may put on for our child is 4:3 content. Granted we try to limit our child's viewing habits, but I've seen image retention on our old 2006 Panny. Absolutely none of that even appears on the Kuro.
-I don't play games everyday (maybe ever 3-4 days) and then I'll play 2 hours. But I do get concerned about the HUD in games just staying on. There are several games (like GTA) where the map is persistently there even if you turn off the HUD.
-I work fairly long hours (leave the house around 6:30 and get home by 8-9pm) and I tend to push myself to stay up and get some "me" time after the wife and kid are asleep. Of course at least 1-2x a week I'll fall asleep on the couch. There is the concern that I'll get IR that way somehow.

Anyway, the Kuro has proven insanely resistant to any of that. I'm not exactly sure how that is but its amazing. i'm kinda bummed I didn't pony up for the 60" in 2009 rather than the 50" that I have. I'm quite interested in getting a 60" or 65" as a stop gap until OLED is perfected but have a few questions:

-On the Kuro I recall the 60" inch was not as bright as the 50". Is that the case with the Panny zt60?
-anybody know if the Kuro is brighter than the Zt60 (I had the 50" elite in the final year of its production). Its currently in a room that is 13x20 (where the couch and TV are 13 feet away) and the only external light is a sliding glass door that runs along a far wall and is about 10 feet away. I never have had any glare issues or brightness issues whatsoever. I assume that is the same case with the Panny?
-Is the fan noise that people complain about (in the pre-august builds) any worse than the buzz on the Kuro? I've gotten used to that.
-I have an older BDI Avion 77" TV console with a plasma mount on the furniture itself. At the time it only supported up to 55". Is the location on a 60-65" the same as a 50-55" that I could mount it to this? I'd assume that the weight of the 60-65" is lower than TV's of 5 years ago so should be able to support it.
-Is there a 3rd party kit to change the bezel at all so that I can put a piano black glossy bezel like the Kuro? Love that look. Don't like that silver trim on the zt60.

THanks!
post #5732 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by changboy View Post

Just doing some test again and with this setting its the best picture i got from my ZT panel, i just watch skyfall to test this setting and thats gave me the best picture i see from my panel.

actualy that give me ; -better black level !
-better contrast
-better shadow details
-more rich picture
Try this; - gamma at 2.6
- +9 on brightness and +11 brightness day mode

Also the black bar when watching a 2;35 film is darker then ever ! just stunning.

Hi!

Excuse my ignorance but is there an additional adjustment  "+11 brightness day mode"

Thanks.

post #5733 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:18pm
post #5734 of 11481
FWIW guys using CNET calibration settings will give a brighter image than Sound and Vision and most in-display settings
post #5735 of 11481
I am really digging the S&V settings. Been watching football all day in my bright room and no complaints.

Kinda makes me want to cancel the pro calibration I scheduled, not really, but not sure how much more it can be improved at this point...
post #5736 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:19pm
post #5737 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

FWIW guys using CNET calibration settings will give a brighter image than Sound and Vision and most in-display settings

I think I am going to load them to Pro2 and compare. Thx for the heads up..
post #5738 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:19pm
post #5739 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:19pm
post #5740 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I think I am going to load them to Pro2 and compare. Thx for the heads up..

They should be entered in Cinema.



Does anyone know what HDMI Content Type is?!? If I put it on Graphics it sharpens the picture.
post #5741 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/29/13 at 10:20pm
post #5742 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

They should be entered in Cinema.

.

Yeah I saw that but wondering if it actually matters since you are changing all of the settings under that preset anyway.
post #5743 of 11481
Here are my final thoughts on the ZT60 Black level performance

Without a bias light im not satisfied with the black levels. They are really deep and dark dont get me wrong but i had the impression from the tons of reviews ive read and comparisons between all high end displays that the black levels wouldve been border line indistinguishable with a little content on screen. The best way i can describe it is its a really dark shade of dark grey as opposed to a washed out grey that all other sets would show. I guess the only technology that would have met the expectation the internet reviews and owner reviews put into my head would be OLED and/or full array local dimming.

WITH a bias light set about 30-40% the blacks become that level of black I originally expected. Plus side of this is the bias light makes vieiwing movies and tv and video games in a pitch black room easier on my eyes which I need. FWIW, even if i had an OLED display I would sitll use a bias light but it would be set very very low. Perhaps a small amount of illumination to adjust my pupils to a comfortable level.

I tried adjusting the bias light as low as I could with keeping the black levels in check with my original expectation but it wasnt working out. I was able to still pick out the display and bezel with ease. But it was still the darkest ive seen on a plasma display.

Would I call it buyers remorse? Not exactly. The filter on this ZT is absolutely ground breaking. I would have definately paid a premium for the filter. Brightness is also good enough for me. I dont find it dim at all. Especially with 3D. 3D is fine. Blu ray playback is absolutely sublime as well. And the size of a 65" is just awesome. I dont mind the price i paid $4000+ for the premium ownership of the ZT, its size, filter and performance but I blame the internet and forums that have folks claiming super deep black levels OLED like especially when compared to the Kuro. Now I never owned a kuro but ive read and seen TONS of reviews and screenshots and they looked OLED like for sure. Given my time with this display I can say even if I had a kuro I would have been disappointed with its black level perforamnce too just from the expectation the internet has put into my head.

Im still a happy owner and i am not going to return this set. I will keep it for many years to come and will be impressed by its performance but everyone that owns a kuro or similar display needs to relax on the black levels. They are NOT OLED like and stop posting screenshots that dont actually represent what the display can do. In dark scenes neither the Kuro or ZT60 or F8500 can appear that deep.

At this point in time only a fully array local dimming set or OLED display can do that. But led tvs have poor viewing angles with those blakc levels and a 65" OLED display is still some time away and we dont even know how expensive it would be.


Haha ok rant is over. I feel better
post #5744 of 11481
Captains Log...
Stardate Today....
Running slides for 10 hours now...this is gonna be long transit....going to run continuously best I can.
Panel puts out a little warmth during slide... not really needed today... nearly 80 in Socal.
Got $200 back from BB today... that works
May Build : Actually have set facing backwards / away from me, fans are running I would say even with them pointed at me they are pretty low / quieter than the NEC, I will still probably have the fix installed when things slow down.
Reading Manual / EHelp
Captain Out...
post #5745 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Here are my final thoughts on the ZT60 Black level performance

Without a bias light im not satisfied with the black levels. They are really deep and dark dont get me wrong but i had the impression from the tons of reviews ive read and comparisons between all high end displays that the black levels wouldve been border line indistinguishable with a little content on screen. The best way i can describe it is its a really dark shade of dark grey as opposed to a washed out grey that all other sets would show. I guess the only technology that would have met the expectation the internet reviews and owner reviews put into my head would be OLED and/or full array local dimming.

WITH a bias light set about 30-40% the blacks become that level of black I originally expected. Plus side of this is the bias light makes vieiwing movies and tv and video games in a pitch black room easier on my eyes which I need. FWIW, even if i had an OLED display I would sitll use a bias light but it would be set very very low. Perhaps a small amount of illumination to adjust my pupils to a comfortable level.

I tried adjusting the bias light as low as I could with keeping the black levels in check with my original expectation but it wasnt working out. I was able to still pick out the display and bezel with ease. But it was still the darkest ive seen on a plasma display.

Would I call it buyers remorse? Not exactly. The filter on this ZT is absolutely ground breaking. I would have definately paid a premium for the filter. Brightness is also good enough for me. I dont find it dim at all. Especially with 3D. 3D is fine. Blu ray playback is absolutely sublime as well. And the size of a 65" is just awesome. I dont mind the price i paid $4000+ for the premium ownership of the ZT, its size, filter and performance but I blame the internet and forums that have folks claiming super deep black levels OLED like especially when compared to the Kuro. Now I never owned a kuro but ive read and seen TONS of reviews and screenshots and they looked OLED like for sure. Given my time with this display I can say even if I had a kuro I would have been disappointed with its black level perforamnce too just from the expectation the internet has put into my head.

Im still a happy owner and i am not going to return this set. I will keep it for many years to come and will be impressed by its performance but everyone that owns a kuro or similar display needs to relax on the black levels. They are NOT OLED like and stop posting screenshots that dont actually represent what the display can do. In dark scenes neither the Kuro or ZT60 or F8500 can appear that deep.

At this point in time only a fully array local dimming set or OLED display can do that. But led tvs have poor viewing angles with those blakc levels and a 65" OLED display is still some time away and we dont even know how expensive it would be.


Haha ok rant is over. I feel better
I blame that damn ultra black bezel. I had the vt60 and I thought the set was defective because the letter box bars looked dark gray next to the bezel. I now have the f8500 and the blacks look much deeper like jet black. I think it's because the bezel is dark gray. Trickery of the eye I guess.
post #5746 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post


Im still a happy owner and i am not going to return this set. I will keep it for many years to come and will be impressed by its performance but everyone that owns a kuro or similar display needs to relax on the black levels. They are NOT OLED like and stop posting screenshots that dont actually represent what the display can do. In dark scenes neither the Kuro or ZT60 or F8500 can appear that deep.

I haven't had the opportunity to see a Kuro or an OLED in person but such comparisons can't really be made unless you have the displays side by side in the same room showing the same feed. I'm pleased with mine and find I can't see the frame of the set or any difference between the frame and the black bars while viewing.

That being said, I completely agree with you that people should stop posting screen shots (unless it's of a defect or something odd like that) because we are all viewing them on different screens under different conditions and some of us are even colour blind. It might be interesting to see what your viewing room and setup looks like but its not going to prove the picture is good. It's like getting excited about the addition of Yellow to the Red Green and Blue on the Sharp sets that George Takai was doing ads for a while back. You can't advertise the improved colour and picture quality of a TV on a television ad when the viewer is watching on what Sharp would have you believe was an inferior set (the one the viewer owns already).

Mike
post #5747 of 11481
Hello All,

First time poster here. I purchased a ZT60 back in August and I absolutely love the TV. However, just recently, the TV has started to randomly "reboot" where it will instantly click off (with normal power on/off sound) and restart (with the "Studio Master Panel" title screen displaying). Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
post #5748 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Here are my final thoughts on the ZT60 Black level performance

Without a bias light im not satisfied with the black levels. They are really deep and dark dont get me wrong but i had the impression from the tons of reviews ive read and comparisons between all high end displays that the black levels wouldve been border line indistinguishable with a little content on screen. The best way i can describe it is its a really dark shade of dark grey as opposed to a washed out grey that all other sets would show. I guess the only technology that would have met the expectation the internet reviews and owner reviews put into my head would be OLED and/or full array local dimming.

WITH a bias light set about 30-40% the blacks become that level of black I originally expected. Plus side of this is the bias light makes vieiwing movies and tv and video games in a pitch black room easier on my eyes which I need. FWIW, even if i had an OLED display I would sitll use a bias light but it would be set very very low. Perhaps a small amount of illumination to adjust my pupils to a comfortable level.

I tried adjusting the bias light as low as I could with keeping the black levels in check with my original expectation but it wasnt working out. I was able to still pick out the display and bezel with ease. But it was still the darkest ive seen on a plasma display.

Would I call it buyers remorse? Not exactly. The filter on this ZT is absolutely ground breaking. I would have definately paid a premium for the filter. Brightness is also good enough for me. I dont find it dim at all. Especially with 3D. 3D is fine. Blu ray playback is absolutely sublime as well. And the size of a 65" is just awesome. I dont mind the price i paid $4000+ for the premium ownership of the ZT, its size, filter and performance but I blame the internet and forums that have folks claiming super deep black levels OLED like especially when compared to the Kuro. Now I never owned a kuro but ive read and seen TONS of reviews and screenshots and they looked OLED like for sure. Given my time with this display I can say even if I had a kuro I would have been disappointed with its black level perforamnce too just from the expectation the internet has put into my head.

Im still a happy owner and i am not going to return this set. I will keep it for many years to come and will be impressed by its performance but everyone that owns a kuro or similar display needs to relax on the black levels. They are NOT OLED like and stop posting screenshots that dont actually represent what the display can do. In dark scenes neither the Kuro or ZT60 or F8500 can appear that deep.

At this point in time only a fully array local dimming set or OLED display can do that. But led tvs have poor viewing angles with those blakc levels and a 65" OLED display is still some time away and we dont even know how expensive it would be.


Haha ok rant is over. I feel better


Hear you. When I had the ZT, the blacks were good, but not really great. I could def see a glow on both sets in a dark room. With OLED seemly pushed back, if not DOA, the only consolation is that so far every digital ciinema movie presentation has had much worst blacks- even the IMAX theaters. We are a picky lot. LOL
post #5749 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbow73 View Post

Hello All,

First time poster here. I purchased a ZT60 back in August and I absolutely love the TV. However, just recently, the TV has started to randomly "reboot" where it will instantly click off (with normal power on/off sound) and restart (with the "Studio Master Panel" title screen displaying). Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
If its not your power grid, def have it replaced or serviced. Id go for an excahnge, if you cant call panasonic.
I thought i read an august build, you bought it in august, so unless you bought a third party warranty id say you only option is panasonic. Call them.
post #5750 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post

I haven't had the opportunity to see a Kuro or an OLED in person but such comparisons can't really be made unless you have the displays side by side in the same room showing the same feed. I'm pleased with mine and find I can't see the frame of the set or any difference between the frame and the black bars while viewing.

That being said, I completely agree with you that people should stop posting screen shots (unless it's of a defect or something odd like that) because we are all viewing them on different screens under different conditions and some of us are even colour blind. It might be interesting to see what your viewing room and setup looks like but its not going to prove the picture is good. It's like getting excited about the addition of Yellow to the Red Green and Blue on the Sharp sets that George Takai was doing ads for a while back. You can't advertise the improved colour and picture quality of a TV on a television ad when the viewer is watching on what Sharp would have you believe was an inferior set (the one the viewer owns already).

Mike

Thats butt wrong. With an OLED or full array local dimming led tv you can see the drastic black level improvements without a side by side comparison WITH low apl content. With bright content its a different story.

There is a glow with the ZT60 on a full black screen. There is a glow with dark content as well in fact I can clearly make out the bezel from the wide screen bars at times which is NOT what I was lead to believe. I was VERY disappointed to come across that
post #5751 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

I blame that damn ultra black bezel. I had the vt60 and I thought the set was defective because the letter box bars looked dark gray next to the bezel. I now have the f8500 and the blacks look much deeper like jet black. I think it's because the bezel is dark gray. Trickery of the eye I guess.

It could be because of the bezel! I remember thinking about how the blacks would appear on the F8500 since it had a grey frame. Glad to hear you find the blacks uber inky smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Hear you. When I had the ZT, the blacks were good, but not really great. I could def see a glow on both sets in a dark room. With OLED seemly pushed back, if not DOA, the only consolation is that so far every digital ciinema movie presentation has had much worst blacks- even the IMAX theaters. We are a picky lot. LOL

Yea noticing the glow in a dark room was a real bummer. I was raelly expecting to be amazed with nearly indistinguishable black levels and had all these blu rays lined up that had super dark content on it.

It was only until I added a bias light that the blacks became truly pitch black but the bias light needs to be pushed a bit high for that to occur. I can live it with tbh but the disappointment was killer. OH and black levels in a movie theater such as cineplex amc or IMAX are god awful. Ever since ive become involved in this hobby ive noticed how theater does not even come to close to my ZT60. Its almost a joke. In fact, I just watched two 3D movies on my ZT60 and I was floored with its performance. The best 3D performance I have ever witnessed. Waaaaaaay better than what I have experienced in any theater including IMAX.
post #5752 of 11481

Hello guys, this is my first post here on AVS. I've been reading through the forums for awhile now but never actually chimed in. I purchased a 65" ZT60 2 weeks ago and I have a few problems with it so I figured now would be a great time to ask some questions.

 

My first problem is that there is some residue on several areas of the screen. It doesn't seem to affect the picture at all. I've done a bit of searching around for answers on google and I'm pretty sure it's a problem resulting from the bonding process. I've tried multiple ways of cleaning it and it just doesn't come off. In the lower left corner it looks almost like a pattern with several little circles.

 

My second problem deals with picture quality. I've been seeing everybody posting about how great the picture quality is on this TV. I've upgraded from a 58" VT25 and I really don't notice much of a difference besides the blacks. I've also been seeing that everyone likes the way the TV looks using THX Bright Room so that's what I've been using. The problem is, I'm seeing green halos around almost everything, and especially on skin tones and blonde hair. The areas that have shadows on faces are always surrounded by a greenish tint and just doesn't look natural. It happens on cable, streaming from Amazon, and I can't remember if it happened on Blu Ray or not, I'll have to check again.

 

I don't have any issues with the fans, they're silent, and the TV build is from July. I bought the TV from Best Buy and yesterday (December 29th) was the last day of the 15 day return policy. The residue hasn't bothered me enough to really worry about it, but the greenish tint problems seems to be getting more noticeable.

 

I'm just wondering if anybody else has either of these 2 issues, or is it normal? I know the residue, smudgy issue isn't right, but what about the green issue? I'm going to be contacting Panasonic tomorrow to hopefully get the panel fixed, or replaced. Does anybody have any history with Panasonic support that could give me an idea of what I might expect?

 

I know this post is a bit long so I appreciate anyone who's taken the time to read it. I'm just hoping someone can give me a little help.

 

Thanks!

post #5753 of 11481

I forgot to add that when I do the screen wipe I notice blotchiness over the screen. I'm guessing it's DSE, my wife noticed it also so I know I'm not seeing things. Also, I just put in a Blu-Ray to see if that green tint issue is there and it is. The shadows just don't fade smoothly like you'd expect. They're more, blotchy. I'm thinking the panel may be defective unless this is something everyone see's?

post #5754 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Thats butt wrong. With an OLED or full array local dimming led tv you can see the drastic black level improvements without a side by side comparison WITH low apl content. With bright content its a different story.

There is a glow with the ZT60 on a full black screen. There is a glow with dark content as well in fact I can clearly make out the bezel from the wide screen bars at times which is NOT what I was lead to believe. I was VERY disappointed to come across that
I hope I didn't lead you to believe it....when your first started inquiring before purchase, I tried to make it clear I could see a glow on low APL content.
post #5755 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCatanese View Post

I've also been seeing that everyone likes the way the TV looks using THX Bright Room so that's what I've been using.
I'll stop you right there on this issue because I have certainly not been praising that preset and have made similar complaints (as have others). In fact, mine is manifested with the same hideous greenish presence, and there is no solution short of calibration that will effectively resolve it. I have found that the ISF day mode settings from the likes of D-Nice clear this up considerably (if not completely). Regular THX mode also looks much improved in comparison to the hideous Bright Room. I would not switch out the panel for that reason. I am not clear what the residue/smudge issue is...DSE manifests with a lack of uniformity on horizontal or vertical camera pans on solid backgrounds, in particular, but isn't obvious otherwise.
Edited by vinnie97 - 12/29/13 at 10:46pm
post #5756 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post


That being said, I completely agree with you that people should stop posting screen shots

Mike

Pictures are welcome here and should be. Enough said.
post #5757 of 11481
I am torn on their usefulness because they tend to mislead people who make black level assumptions while observing them in a tiny window on their LCD screen.
post #5758 of 11481
Love it when one lone person tries to go against the flow here smile.gif
post #5759 of 11481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

I blame that damn ultra black bezel. I had the vt60 and I thought the set was defective because the letter box bars looked dark gray next to the bezel. I now have the f8500 and the blacks look much deeper like jet black. I think it's because the bezel is dark gray. Trickery of the eye I guess.

It could also be that due to higher image brightness (I assume, don't know your settings), the blacks appear better to the eye than they perhaps are. As I use my TVs for entertainment purposes, "imaginary blacks" are fine with me, but I know others disagree. This is one reason I think image brightness are important (no matter what brand and technology used).
post #5760 of 11481
deleted
Edited by changboy - 12/30/13 at 11:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread