or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 308

post #9211 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes that is until OLED flat panels are available biggrin.gif

And I have already started putting my pennies in my cookie jar waiting for that day - a 70" reasonable priced unit
post #9212 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Most people in OPPO threads and else where here at AVS turn all those "enhancement features" off as a given. wink.gif

I wouldn't know...I only own (8) BluRays, played through a PS3. Contemplating getting a 2nd player, and possibly getting more discs. However given the limited number of movies I like enough to buy on disc, and the quality of amazon/Netflix streams, its not pressing.
post #9213 of 11462
The quality of Amazon/Netflix streaming is a travesty compared to a reference Blu-ray. biggrin.gif
post #9214 of 11462
Its all relative...not all amazon/Netflix streams are created equal.

wink.gif
post #9215 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The quality of Amazon/Netflix streaming is a travesty compared to a reference Blu-ray. biggrin.gif
I wouldnt say that vinnie, i dont know about amazon but i watched alot of top gear in super hd lately and its stunning. Then again if your comparing the majority of the meterial then ya that assesment is true.
post #9216 of 11462
I would say the top tier Netflix streaming HD is getting pretty darn good. The difference in picture quality between Netflix Super HD and Bluray is relatively small compared to the difference between Netflix's streaming audio and DTS-MA. And I say this as someone who watches Bluray movies in a 2.1 speaker setup.

Separately, just scheduled my ZT60 calibration for the first week of March. I expect the difference to be subtle at best given how good this set is out of the box, but we'll see.
post #9217 of 11462
All very heretical things to say around here only 2 years ago. eek.gif I acknowledge the compression has improved, but after watching the Riddick blu-ray last night, I am quite confident the shadow details and crispness of picture isn't quite there yet with a bit-starved video stream (especially with low APL content when artifacts most frequently raise their head). I wouldn't take Vudu HDX as a substitute for a reference disc either.
post #9218 of 11462
Anyone know what sort of lag the 65 inch ZT has? I've been getting into playing fighting games lately and I've read a lot about the lag of a TV affecting your gameplay.

So is the ZT laggy?
post #9219 of 11462
As I recall it's better than the ST, but then the difference between good lag & bad lag is measured in hundredths of a second. I still don't understand how this came to be such a commonly scrutinized feature.
post #9220 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

And this what I think is at the heart of the discussion - many of these folks have a far more educated eye then I do as many audiophiles have a far more educated ear then I do - they are in a different league then I am and I accept I will never get there.

I bought the Oppo 103D because I want to maximize my 65ZT60 experience and what I read was all fairly positive - fortunately if I didn't like I could turn it off and would still be left with a top rated bluray player.

To my uneducated eye (and I am not being sarcastic) it just looks better, more "pop" and to me money well spent. But then again I am also happy with the THX cinema mode and using the CNET & Sound&Vision settings in professional 1&2.

What I really enjoy about these forums is learning from people who are far more knowledgeable then I am.

Thank you all
In the end that's what it's all about! Enjoy in good health! smile.gif
post #9221 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes that is until OLED flat panels are available biggrin.gif

And I have already started putting my pennies in my cookie jar waiting for that day - a 70" reasonable priced unit
My one gallon jar is already one third full. OLED here I come. It reminds me of the song "O Lawd, I'm On My Way" that ends "Porgy and Bess". cool.gif
post #9222 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Most people in OPPO threads and else where here at AVS turn all those "enhancement features" off as a given. wink.gif

I wouldn't know...I only own (8) BluRays, played through a PS3. Contemplating getting a 2nd player, and possibly getting more discs. However given the limited number of movies I like enough to buy on disc, and the quality of amazon/Netflix streams, its not pressing.
You can still rent shiny disks from Netflix. I only buy the ones I'm addicted too, or opera and other music.
post #9223 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

I still wonder why people have tv's up over their fireplace, mounted or not. To each their own.

Because depending on the room setting, this might be the only place where a large TV will fit without the need for some major remodeling of the cabinets etc. And yes you guessed right, I have a TV above the fireplace, for that same reason.
post #9224 of 11462
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

And I have already started putting my pennies in my cookie jar waiting for that day - a 70" reasonable priced unit

Me too I hope in the not too distant future biggrin.gif
post #9225 of 11462
Does anyone know how to get the ZT60 to go to the full display of hdmi instead of the menu screen when you turn it on? 8 would like to not have to use the tv remote each time I turn on the tv
post #9226 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWookie View Post

Does anyone know how to get the ZT60 to go to the full display of hdmi instead of the menu screen when you turn it on? 8 would like to not have to use the tv remote each time I turn on the tv

Try going into the settings within the home screen.
post #9227 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

As I recall it's better than the ST, but then the difference between good lag & bad lag is measured in hundredths of a second. I still don't understand how this came to be such a commonly scrutinized feature.
I do.
I play plenty of FPS and the lag is good on the zt but not perfect. Game mode is a must. Even then it has the slightest amount on lag. Having a fluid experience is very important to gamers. And when a game is 60 fps it really needs to be lag free. I passed on the st for its lag, i wouldnt have gotten a zt or vt if it was terrible. 8500 is supposed to be worse. Some sony leds are faster but then you get all the other led issues. I had last years u50 models which were lag free but as soon as i heard about production going away i had to get the best. Movies are important to me otherwise if i wanted a strictly gaming monitor i would have continued to use the u50s. As a heavy gamer that needed a good all around display the zt/vt was the only option. Thats why its being scrutinized, although talking about it wont change it. I went for the at because of the filter even though my room is very dim, if i move or redo the room or just want the lights on its nice to have.
Edited by Axxion - 2/13/14 at 8:01pm
post #9228 of 11462
According to cnet the F8500's input lag (post "PC fix") is less than 7 thousandths of a second slower than the ZT. Is that the margin between a good & bad gaming TV?
post #9229 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo44 View Post

When I went to turn the CATS off I discovered it already was. The flickering continues even as I've tried every picture adjustment on the menu. When I turned the CATS on, the picture got really dark. Any other ideas than calling Panasonic?

Make sure:

a) You are not in some funky mode in terms of refresh rate
b) Make sure your receiver is passing through pure signal and not processing at all.
post #9230 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Early in my forum days I remember seeing a gif showing someone typing a question and then a hand dragging the cursor to the search box. I wish I could find it because you're right.
If only there was a way to search the whole internet..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=show+people+how+to+google


:P
post #9231 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They do provide a good spot for a TV in some cases. What I've seen around here is an alcove big enough for a 42" screen facing a wall of glass. Smart guys, those custom concentrators. rolleyes.gif

Mine's on a ledge built for 42 or so inch CRT...this 60" tv fits just perfectly on that ledge. I find it highly doubtful that others can't put a tv (not just this one) on a tv stand near an electrical outlet if need be.
post #9232 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

According to cnet the F8500's input lag (post "PC fix") is less than 7 thousandths of a second slower than the ZT. Is that the margin between a good & bad gaming TV?
I thought i read it was worse then that. 7ms slower is what your saying? Thats not much different.
post #9233 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They do provide a good spot for a TV in some cases. What I've seen around here is an alcove big enough for a 42" screen facing a wall of glass. Smart guys, those custom concentrators. rolleyes.gif

Mine's on a ledge built for 42 or so inch CRT...this 60" tv fits just perfectly on that ledge. I find it highly doubtful that others can't put a tv (not just this one) on a tv stand near an electrical outlet if need be.
I've looked at a lot of homes for sale and newly built in our area, and those under 2500 sq. ft. frequently have no usable wall space that coincides with a reasonable seating area facing said wall. Many times it's the fire place that mucks things up, and they aren't even real ones. It's almost always against the law to build a wood fire in a fire place. As the houses get bigger, the rooms don't because more rooms are more valuable than bigger rooms - especially the public rooms.
post #9234 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I've looked at a lot of homes for sale and newly built in our area, and those under 2500 sq. ft. frequently have no usable wall space that coincides with a reasonable seating area facing said wall. Many times it's the fire place that mucks things up, and they aren't even real ones. It's almost always against the law to build a wood fire in a fire place. As the houses get bigger, the rooms don't because more rooms are more valuable than bigger rooms - especially the public rooms.

Yes I don't know why builders insist in putting fire place in the middle of a wall they think we all gather around a fire and tell stories wink.gif Why can't they just put them in a corner?

Yes instead of having nice size rooms they cram 8 bedrooms in 4000 sq/ft what the h... Like people have seven kids?

That's why I can't wait until one day I can build a custom home, if only I had the cash!
post #9235 of 11462
Hey guys. I'm about to buy a new panel next week. I have been looking at the 4k Sony, but have read really good reports of the 65vt. Iv never owned a plasma. My current panel is 55hx925(Australian), great panel, fantastic picture. The plasma will cost me about 3400, 4k, 5g......... Thoughts?
post #9236 of 11462
Oh and I'm also enquiring about the zt. No one in cairns has heard much about it
post #9237 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixvegas View Post

Oh and I'm also enquiring about the zt. No one in cairns has heard much about it
Panasonic withdrew from the plasma business when they shut down production in December. Unless you find a dealer with stock on hand then there won't be any more arriving. Also, Pansonic has been doing a lot of refunds instead fo repairs. You might be out of luck once the Panasonic warranty expires.
post #9238 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Panasonic withdrew from the plasma business when they shut down production in December. Unless you find a dealer with stock on hand then there won't be any more arriving. Also, Pansonic has been doing a lot of refunds instead fo repairs. You might be out of luck once the Panasonic warranty expires.
Yeah I heard that. There is a 65vt60 in the store, for 3400aus, warranty might be an issue. The panny 4k is way to pricey for me. My budget is 5500. Looks like the Sony panel
post #9239 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

I tried to search for this issue, but didn't find anything. I have a small problem with my 3D glasses (both of them) that came with the set. Background - I just got a 60ZT60 to replace my 4 year old 50VT25. The set has gone through 100 hours of warmup using the D-Nice slides and I've entered the recommended settings from D-Nice, but have not had it calibrated yet. (Having said that, I think the problem is in my glasses, not my panel - see below).

I was watching Avatar and noticed that every 4-5 seconds there was a brightness shift. It was like someone turned a light on in the movie set, but far off-camera, such that it changed the ambient light level slightly in the scene being filmed. It was very regular, though, you could almost set your watch by it.

At first I thought it was something about the way the display was showing the picture, but I noticed that if I took the glasses off then I couldn't see it.

So, I put a scene on pause and with the glasses on the scene kept shifting every couple of seconds a little darker. It was odd because it didn't look like it was recovering brightness in between shifts, and it was generally feeling darker and darker as time went on, but it didn't seem to be getting too dark in absolute terms (kind of like that "ever rising chord" that someone created with a computer). I then took the glasses off and the brightness level on the panel itself was 100% perfectly rock solid stable. Put the glasses back on and voila - brightness shifting. Both glasses had the same effect, but one was worse than the other.

I tried the various 3D frequences and, while they had an impact on flickering I saw from the room lighting, they had no real effect on this perceived brightness shifting on the panel itself.

Both glasses were brand new and showed 100% battery when the notice came on screen as I turned them on.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a setting to fix it? Are the included non-rechargeable Panasonic RF glasses just poor quality?

As a folowup, I've heard reports that this only affects the CR battery glasses that Panasonic supplies with the set, and that the rechargeables do or don't fix it and also that the 3D3 glasses from TPS also fix it (but have different color characteristics that may require a recalibration).

I've now tried:

- both pairs of CR battery glasses that came with the ZT
- a pair of the rechargeable Panasonics
- a pair of the cheaper Samsung CR battery glasses (compatible via the Full3D/RF standard)
- 2 pairs of the 3D3 glasses ordered from TPS

*All* of these glasses showed the variations in light level, but some were worse than the others. The 3D3 glasses are probably the best in terms of the varying light levels, but both pairs suffered from the left lens blacking out every 15 seconds or so, grrr. (I suppose I could try them with other 3D refresh frequencies to see if that fixes the eye blanking out, though, but they still had a small amount of the brightness shifting anyway. frown.gif

This is not due to CATS - that is off - nor any other picture-brightness setting on the panel since the effect is not visible if you take the glasses off, it is only an interaction with the glasses.

There should be another pair of the Panasonic included glasses waiting for me at the BB/MDC since I reported the problem to them. I should at least try to reproduce the problem in their showroom if they still have their ZT display model (but I haven't been back since Saturday so it is likely gone now). I have no confidence that any new glasses will resolve the issue.
post #9240 of 11462
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

As a folowup, I've heard reports that this only affects the CR battery glasses that Panasonic supplies with the set, and that the rechargeables do or don't fix it and also that the 3D3 glasses from TPS also fix it (but have different color characteristics that may require a recalibration).

I've now tried:

- both pairs of CR battery glasses that came with the ZT
- a pair of the rechargeable Panasonics
- a pair of the cheaper Samsung CR battery glasses (compatible via the Full3D/RF standard)
- 2 pairs of the 3D3 glasses ordered from TPS

*All* of these glasses showed the variations in light level, but some were worse than the others. The 3D3 glasses are probably the best in terms of the varying light levels, but both pairs suffered from the left lens blacking out every 15 seconds or so, grrr. (I suppose I could try them with other 3D refresh frequencies to see if that fixes the eye blanking out, though, but they still had a small amount of the brightness shifting anyway. frown.gif

This is not due to CATS - that is off - nor any other picture-brightness setting on the panel since the effect is not visible if you take the glasses off, it is only an interaction with the glasses.

There should be another pair of the Panasonic included glasses waiting for me at the BB/MDC since I reported the problem to them. I should at least try to reproduce the problem in their showroom if they still have their ZT display model (but I haven't been back since Saturday so it is likely gone now). I have no confidence that any new glasses will resolve the issue.
Well i know your not telling any stories. Last night i tried watching the croods in 3d on netflix. Everything was fine until it paused to buffer, i saw the brightness flashing with the glasses. It wasnt the tv. When it was playing again it was fine. Something might be wrong with your sync idk. Maybe resetting the tv might help? Only thing i can think of due to not having a clue how to directly fix it.
Edited by Axxion - 2/14/14 at 4:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official ZT60 Owners Thread