or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 359

post #10741 of 14775
So I have a DirecTV box running through the One. I can't get the Dolby Digital to work. I know it's only in beta. When I activate it and go back to the TV app, the screen just stays black. Anyone have any kind of fix for it?
post #10742 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

...if you don't have the XB1 turning stuff on, Xbox On is basically rendered useless.

Huh? If you're going to use the Xbox to watch TV IMO it's primary usefulness is OneGuide, exploring what's on TV with voice commands, etc, not turning things on. In general I don't let my Harmony turn anything on or off as I switch activities because I want the freedom to switch temporarily to other devices (like from using the Xbox One to using this PC, connected to the same AVR and panel). My Harmony turns the television and AVR on when I select an activity when they're off and turns them off when I press its OFF button so I won't have the Xbox One turning those things on and off or selecting their inputs (AVR volume is okay). I could use "Xbox On" to activate the Xbox One if I wanted (I have that disabled) but it won't turn on my AVR and television. When I select the "Use Xbox One" activity it I turn it on "manually" if its not already on and I turn it off the same way when I'm ready (though typically with a voice command).

I don't have my Xbox One set up for television watching because I don't want to use it for that all of the time; I plan to buy an HDMI splitter and try it. Right now I use my Harmony for browsing around when I'm not gaming; it's a reflex, since I used it for that on my 360 a lot.
post #10743 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Huh? If you're going to use the Xbox to watch TV IMO it's primary usefulness is OneGuide, exploring what's on TV with voice commands, etc, not turning things on. In general I don't let my Harmony turn anything on or off as I switch activities because I want the freedom to switch temporarily to other devices (like from using the Xbox One to using this PC, connected to the same AVR and panel). My Harmony turns the television and AVR on when I select an activity when they're off and turns them off when I press its OFF button so I won't have the Xbox One turning those things on and off or selecting their inputs (AVR volume is okay). I could use "Xbox On" to activate the Xbox One if I wanted (I have that disabled) but it won't turn on my AVR and television. When I select the "Use Xbox One" activity it I turn it on "manually" if its not already on and I turn it off the same way when I'm ready (though typically with a voice command).

I don't have my Xbox One set up for television watching because I don't want to use it for that all of the time; I plan to buy an HDMI splitter and try it. Right now I use my Harmony for browsing around when I'm not gaming; it's a reflex, since I used it for that on my 360 a lot.

I don't really like the One Guide, but I do like the option to be able to say "Xbox Watch NBC", other then that I want to use my Cable box guide. I guess I kind of want a hybrid solution, so that I can use the Harmony some times and just the XB1 w/voice at other times, but like I said in my original post because you can't have the Harmony turn on everything and the XB1 it doesn't seem possible. I'll probably end up going the splitter route as well.
post #10744 of 14775
Anyone know if it's possible to turn your AVR up or down by voice faster then one or two increments that "Xbox Volume Up/Down" does?
post #10745 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv784 View Post

So I have a DirecTV box running through the One. I can't get the Dolby Digital to work. I know it's only in beta. When I activate it and go back to the TV app, the screen just stays black. Anyone have any kind of fix for it?

Dolby only works if you're passing an uncompressed signal to your receiver via HDMI.

It will not work on the Optical port.
post #10746 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

Is this the only Blu-ray review in the thread?
I am curious on how many of you feel about blu-ray watching. I run an Oppo 103 and I would like to get the XB One if blu-ray playback is good enough in comparison. I have seen a couple of people say they have issues with voice syncing but no real reviews otherwise. Just curious what you all feel that have the xb one.
video wise it's fine it's the audio that can be an issue since if you have the XBOne set for 7.1 pcm output, it will send everything in a 7.1 wrapper. So no post processing can be applied. A bd with a 5.1 track will have no audio coming from the two rear surround speakers. And a stereo track will only have audio coming from the Fl/fr speakers. When normally post processing would be applied to have the voices come from the centre channel and the rest of the sound field opened up to the rest of the speakers.
post #10747 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Dolby only works if you're passing an uncompressed signal to your receiver via HDMI.

It will not work on the Optical port.

Well there's a setting on the One to get the Dolby Digital working. I know other people have got it to work, but I can't. It's all HDMI. No optical cable involved. I might be misunderstanding you though.
post #10748 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv784 View Post

Well there's a setting on the One to get the Dolby Digital working. I know other people have got it to work, but I can't. It's all HDMI. No optical cable involved. I might be misunderstanding you though.

From Albert Penello, MS Director of Product Planning;
Quote:
Dolby Digital is coming post launch. This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it.

Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround.

For the Dolby only headsets, my understanding is that these will work but you will only get stereo audio since we only pass Stereo and DTS through the optical port. I have not tested this myself, but I'm told it works. Regardless, I understand this is an inconvenience, but again we're going to have Dolby coming.

This is unrelated to the HDMI-IN "Surround Sound" beta. To clarify, we default HDMI-IN audio to be converted to Stereo. However, we do have a feature you can access in TV settings/Troubleshooting that enables Surround Sound in "beta" form. If you check the box, and you get Surround, you're golden. We found some inconsistencies in STB's during testing and decided to disable it by default to insure a good initial setup experience for people.

Basically, if you're setup is; DirecTV box --> XBOne --> Receiver and everything is using HDMI, then you need to set the XBOne to output uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 and your receiver should convert that to Dolby Digital.
post #10749 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

From Albert Penello, MS Director of Product Planning;
Basically, if you're setup is; DirecTV box --> XBOne --> Receiver and everything is using HDMI, then you need to set the XBOne to output uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 and your receiver should convert that to Dolby Digital.

It doesn't convert it though. And that's what the Beta option is for under Troubleshooting in the menus. I'm watching football and have nothing coming out of my rear speakers. Surround works on games and everything else, except for the DirecTV. And when I select that beta option, I get no picture or sound.
post #10750 of 14775
Still would be nice to get a bitstream option. I mean thats sooo 2007...
post #10751 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

video wise it's fine it's the audio that can be an issue since if you have the XBOne set for 7.1 pcm output, it will send everything in a 7.1 wrapper. So no post processing can be applied. A bd with a 5.1 track will have no audio coming from the two rear surround speakers. And a stereo track will only have audio coming from the Fl/fr speakers. When normally post processing would be applied to have the voices come from the centre channel and the rest of the sound field opened up to the rest of the speakers.

Certainly not trying to be a hater but this alone would be a deal breaker for me since I run an 8.1ch with front heights.
post #10752 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Still would be nice to get a bitstream option. I mean thats sooo 2007...

I'm curious how you expect them to bitstream and still send you audio notifications?
post #10753 of 14775
I'm having an issue with DirecTV.
I say, watch NBC, the Xbox wants to tune into the NBC channel I don't have access to, not my local one.
Anyway to fix this?
post #10754 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I'm curious how you expect them to bitstream and still send you audio notifications?

Im just curious as to why you think I want audio notifications? When watching optical discs and streaming, I should be able to bitstream. Im sure there is a way for both to exist. Its like the kinect, mine is in the box in the attic. Dont assume because you want to use it I do. You can have you audio alerts, just allow me to have bitstream.

There are some simple things they overlooked, especially with the whole "One" slogan for one device. You need to offer a color space other than RGB, and you need to bitstream audio if you want to be the "One" HT device in the room. But hey, at least it'll notice me when I walk in the room...
post #10755 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I'm having an issue with DirecTV.
I say, watch NBC, the Xbox wants to tune into the NBC channel I don't have access to, not my local one.
Anyway to fix this?

I had this problem as well, but it was with my ABC channel. Use the call letters of the channel instead of "ABC"
post #10756 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

...you can't have the Harmony turn on everything and the XB1 it doesn't seem possible

I have the Harmony turning on and off the TV and AVR and I have the Xbox One set up to turn on/off nothing other than itself. I have it set to control my AVR's volume if I want to call out "Xbox Volume Up" or "Volume Down". My television tuner is a TiVo and it's always on; I will split its output between the Xbox HDMI In and its HDMI input on the AVR. I use an HDMI switch but I've never used a splitter before. Many of them have power supplies but I hope that it won't be necessary for the short cable lengths involved.
post #10757 of 14775
Still messing around with this Surround Sound Beta setting on the One. Dolby Digital is enabled on the DirecTV box. It still works if the Beta option isn't selected. As soon as I select the option, I get no picture or sound. If I turn off the Dolby Digital setting on the DirecTV box, I get a picture and sound on the One, but no actual surround sound. I changed the Dolby Digital to "on" on the DirecTV box and I lost picture and audio on the One in the TV app. I don't understand it. Ugh.
post #10758 of 14775
how many system updates did you guys get? I got a 1 TB update. then a 500 GB update.
post #10759 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

how many system updates did you guys get? I got a 1 TB update. then a 500 GB update.

I thought I only saw the one 500gig when you first turn it on.
post #10760 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

how many system updates did you guys get? I got a 1 TB update. then a 500 GB update.

I got the update when I plugged it in and no other, unless it downloaded and applied one in the night. I'm running 6.2.10210.0 (xb_rel_launch.131118-1159). What are you seeing?
post #10761 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

The Xbox passes all the tests I checked on the DVE and Spears and Munsil Blu-rays. I think it looks nice. Only issues vs the Oppo is it only outputs RGB and it doesnt send out bitstream audio, it decodes then send it out as uncompressed 7.1 or 5.1.

RGB vs ycbcr is functionally identical anyway, that shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.
post #10762 of 14775
Anyone else noticing that TV through the HDMI input is noticeably softer and has less contrast than if you're going directly from your box to your TV? I have a FIOS box and when i send it through the XBO, programs like sports definitely lose sharpness and vibrancy. I bought an HDMI splitter so i can A/B between the xbo and the STB directly and unfortunately I'm seeing a degraded picture through the XBO. Anyone?
post #10763 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Im just curious as to why you think I want audio notifications? When watching optical discs and streaming, I should be able to bitstream. Im sure there is a way for both to exist. Its like the kinect, mine is in the box in the attic. Dont assume because you want to use it I do. You can have you audio alerts, just allow me to have bitstream.

There are some simple things they overlooked, especially with the whole "One" slogan for one device. You need to offer a color space other than RGB, and you need to bitstream audio if you want to be the "One" HT device in the room. But hey, at least it'll notice me when I walk in the room...

Considering that the biggest point of having TV and Blu-ray built in (at least on Microsoft's end) is to keep you immersed in Xbox at all times, I doubt it's that anything was overlooked. They want you to always be accessible for Xbox gaming, Skype calls, chats, etc. whenever you're using your TV. It's almost definitely intentional. Besides, we're a total minority here on this forum. There's not going to be very many people out there who even care about bitstreaming, so if they do still plan on implementing this stuff you're talking about, then of course it's going to happen last. And since they already were having trouble meeting deadlines (at least partly due to having to completely having to overhaul the system's DRM), that's an easy choice to cut out for launch.
post #10764 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

RGB vs ycbcr is functionally identical anyway, that shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

Um, no.

:

1) Some avr's have an issue with RGB input, even though they should pass the signal
2) Even though displays process RGB internally, some cannot accept RGB as is, they convert it back to ycbcr upon receipt, then back to rgb for processing.
3) Calibration differences can be different. Meaning, if my display was professionally calibrated by someone like Chad B for ycbcr 444, the calibration loses accuracy when I give it RGB. Brightness settings can also be off, depending on the display.
4) Some displays dont function well with the auto color space mode, so you have to manually go in and change the setting when you have an RGB input.

Most set top boxes send out ycbcr 444, and generally thats what you want to use on a blu-ray player, for all of the above issues. RGB is fine for video games, there is no calibration standard there. For streaming, blu-ray, DVD, something like and RGB output can cause issues in the video chain that would not be there with ycbcr. All the time? no.

For one example, my VT50 has a pure direct setting where if you send it RGB or ycbcr 444, processes it untouched. Problem is, that setting works great with ycbcr 444, but not RGB 444. So now I have to turn that setting off for the xbox and blu-ray, which in turn I have actually degraded image quality slightly (VT50 performs better on chroma tests with pure direct on).

Finally, the PS3, and all other blu-ray players out there generally offer simple color space adjustments, as well as bitstreaming audio. These arent deal breakers, Ill be keeping the Xbone, but M$ has a little to learn about being the all in one HT device.

So, I disagree with you using one sentence to dismiss RGB vs ycbcr color space. It depends on the display, and other devices in the chain. There is one fact though, just about all devices function fine with ycbcr input, but not true with RGB input. There are numerous documented cases with Roku's not playing well with an AVR, or a display. They all output RGB, which is a ongoing poor decision on their part.
post #10765 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

how many system updates did you guys get? I got a 1 TB update. then a 500 GB update.

Pretty sure your units are just a little off here... biggrin.gif
post #10766 of 14775
Well.. My XB1 showed up at the door around 3pm Fri afternoon. Been pretty much playing with it ever since....and I need some sleep. Picked up DD for Forza5, Ryse and Deadrising3. Deadrising3 is alot more fun than I anticipated as was Ryse. Most my game time thou has been in Forza 5....just awesome game all around.

Been very pleased with the console.......more so than any other console i have had on launch day. Only hardware issue I am having is the HDMI out port seems really sensitive......maybe its my cables(lower priced monoprice) but just wiggle the connector slightly and signal pops in and out.

Kinda wish the integration with my Home theater equipment was a little more flushed out but after some tweaking and setting up Harmony Control all is working pretty good. I had to disable all power on/off of devices in the XB1 settings. XB1 refused to acknowledge or work with my HK 1710 AVR.

So far the channel guide integration with my Cisco STB and Brighthouse networks has actually worked really well....thou I would say the voice stuff for channel "surfing" really only works about 70% of the time.

All in all i am happy.
post #10767 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Considering that the biggest point of having TV and Blu-ray built in (at least on Microsoft's end) is to keep you immersed in Xbox at all times, I doubt it's that anything was overlooked. They want you to always be accessible for Xbox gaming, Skype calls, chats, etc. whenever you're using your TV. It's almost definitely intentional. Besides, we're a total minority here on this forum. There's not going to be very many people out there who even care about bitstreaming, so if they do still plan on implementing this stuff you're talking about, then of course it's going to happen last. And since they already were having trouble meeting deadlines (at least partly due to having to completely having to overhaul the system's DRM), that's an easy choice to cut out for launch.

I dont have a problem with it not being there now, but I would expect they add it later. If not, the Xbox One will have been a poor game time decision on my part for a HT device, and Ill sell it and get a PS4 (I had both on preorder at one time). We all have different needs, but if you are going to be a blu-ray player, you need to do a little better. Why Id want to get a skype notification in the middle of Man of Steel, I have no friggin idea...

You also have to realize most of the people that own $100 blu-ray players dont know or care what bitstreaming is, but its simply built into all of them. Allowing a person to turn off notifications (which I did) should allow them the use of bitstream. Seems like the choice or option would be a simple addition later.
Edited by gadgtfreek - 11/23/13 at 9:18pm
post #10768 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Um, no.

:

1) Some avr's have an issue with RGB input, even though they should pass the signal
2) Even though displays process RGB internally, some cannot accept RGB as is, they convert it back to ycbcr upon receipt, then back to rgb for processing.
3) Calibration differences can be different. Meaning, if my display was professionally calibrated by someone like Chad B for ycbcr 444, the calibration loses accuracy when I give it RGB. Brightness settings can also be off, depending on the display.
4) Some displays dont function well with the auto color space mode, so you have to manually go in and change the setting when you have an RGB input.

Most set top boxes send out ycbcr 444, and generally thats what you want to use on a blu-ray player, for all of the above issues. RGB is fine for video games, there is no calibration standard there. For streaming, blu-ray, DVD, something like and RGB output can cause issues in the video chain that would not be there with ycbcr. All the time? no.

For one example, my VT50 has a pure direct setting where if you send it RGB or ycbcr 444, processes it untouched. Problem is, that setting works great with ycbcr 444, but not RGB 444. So now I have to turn that setting off for the xbox and blu-ray, which in turn I have actually degraded image quality slightly (VT50 performs better on chroma tests with pure direct on).

Finally, the PS3, and all other blu-ray players out there generally offer simple color space adjustments, as well as bitstreaming audio. These arent deal breakers, Ill be keeping the Xbone, but M$ has a little to learn about being the all in one HT device.

So, I disagree with you using one sentence to dismiss RGB vs ycbcr color space. It depends on the display, and other devices in the chain. There is one fact though, just about all devices function fine with ycbcr input, but not true with RGB input. There are numerous documented cases with Roku's not playing well with an AVR, or a display. They all output RGB, which is a ongoing poor decision on their part.

Fair enough, but that really has more to do with other devices in the chain not processing it properly than any inherent limitation of RGB. If the conversion is done properly by all devices in the chain, the result should be exactly the same.
post #10769 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Fair enough, but that really has more to do with other devices in the chain not processing it properly than any inherent limitation of RGB.

I agree with you there. The fact is Ive not ever seen a device have an issue with ycbcr 422 or 444, but plenty of em have issues with RGB.

Mine personally doesnt, but I have owned stuff that does. Its something one should keep in mind before buying one of these at least. As much as the 360 and ps3 changed in their lifespan, Ill be curious to see how these next gen consoles change with the times.
post #10770 of 14775
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

How is everyone setting up their Harmony remotes with the XB1. I think I can live with setting up my watch tv activity to go through the xbox and manually say watch tv. However if I do this, I can't have the XB1 turn on my AVR/Cable Box/TV, because then both the Harmony and the XB1 will try to do it, and everything gets out of sync. And if you don't have the XB1 turning stuff on, Xbox On is basically rendered useless.

So far using the Harmony in conjunction with the XB1 is my only issue, everything else seems great.

That's a work in progress right now. So far it's powering everything up, it just won't shut my Directv box off. Somone in the forums will come up w/ some type of work arounds eventually(I hope). I'm just experimenting so far...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...