OK so here is my xbox one review after using it for a few days. Let me start by saying I have been using xbox since the beginning. Got a launch original xbox and used that until the 360 came out and currently have two of those. I also owned a PS3 but pretty much only used it for watching blu rays.
So far I am very disappointed with the xbox one. The idea was great, but because of a combination of bad decisions and poor execution it really so far falls well short of where a next gen system should be.
1. Ok so the first thing that is annoying is the game situation. This system is really meant to be played without discs. They force you to install games whether you have the disc or not, so there should be a way that once a game is installed you dont need the disc anymore. I thought this was the case but was wrong. Now I understand people might say this was known. But not all of us have time to be digging for info all over the internet, I think the message was confusing. Especially since I think the original plan would have worked this way. Once you make the wrong decision and buy a disc you are screwed, no way around it.
2. A related issue. There should be a way to give up the disc for a digital license so you can make use of sales. Because of this, if you download you usually will be paying full price for games. I think instead of selling discs they should let stores sell a game license so everyone has the game in the same form.
3. TV. Great idea, poorly executed. First off there has to be a better way to navigate? No way to type in a channel number? Scrolling up and down in the guide can take forever. No way to access playlists? No way to record? And also when using this with direct tv if you try and fast forward or rewind, the picture freezes until you hit play, so you can watch as you ff or rw, so its basically useless. I was very excited about this feature but now will probably just disconnect the tv altogether. Very disappointing.
4. Games. So far I am not noticing anything really better in the experience in any of the games I have tried or the apps I have used. The tv related apps work the same as they do on the 360 for the most part. Battlefield, looks about the same, fifa about the same. I will say the movements are a little better in fifa, but if someone was playing one of these games and blindly asked whether it was 360 or one version, I think most would be hard pressed to say with certainty what they were looking at. Hopefully this will change as time goes on.
1. The kinect is improved. Its cool that it logs you in, voice recognition is not bad.
2. I like pinning the nfl app and seeing my fantasy team updating in realtime.
3. I think the controller is improved. It was already great but now its better. Of course there is no reason this could not have been added to 360.
Well I know I am missing something but I am tired after staying up really late to watch my pats beat the broncos last night
I think the system has potential, but it is going to take a series of updates and a boatload of fixes for this system to become the system I think it was supposed to be.
Forgot 2 things.
1. no 3D blu ray. Still cant get rid of my ps3.
2. The system is VERY slow. I see the loading circle way more than i should. It comes up all the time, often for stupid stuff like updating an avatar or changing a setting. Those things should happen instantly on a new product at this point given the horsepower of the machine.Edited by marjen - 11/25/13 at 8:00am