or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 100

post #2971 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-plesser/microsoft-touts-100-perce_b_3460771.html


Now you know why it is always on.... Not that I'm really surprised.. just makes me pissed

I can't watch the video. Is there anything new in the video that isn't already known?
post #2972 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

""The fastest-growing demographic on Xbox today is females aged 18 to 39"

We can only hope.

Total anecdote, but the only two friends I have that bought 360s in the last year or so have both been women to do the Kinect Zumba stuff.

I think the turn back to simpler games that the Wii did and also that are on phones would help consoles. I can't imagine the girl I'm dating playing COD Ghosts but I bet she'd play Duck Tales. I think a lot of that stuff could be ported to the One very easily from their PC counterparts.
post #2973 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

""The fastest-growing demographic on Xbox today is females aged 18 to 39"

We can only hope.

Except they are the chief monetary decision makers. This explains a lot of posts on AVS...
post #2974 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Except what happens it I did my 24hr check in and then go offline? Or even when my internet chokes and becomes severely lagged. This happens to me quite a bit even though I live about 7 miles from one of the largest cities in the country.

You're right... You shouldn't buy one. Not that you were going to anyway, right? wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

It will be interesting to see what they do in the EU since the courts recently determine that even DD licenses could be sold in secondary markets. If they set up a system in the EU, what will be the repercussions here?
There will be no repercussions, because that law does not apply to them, no matter how many internet experts try to think it does. The law in the EU applies only to direct sales from publishers to end users for downloadable games. The end result of that law is that the end user has the right to resell that game license. HOWEVER, the ruling also states that the publisher has no legal requirement to provide a mechanism by which that transfer of license may occur. Additionally, services like Steam and Xbox Live which sell game licenses skirt that law by tying the ownership of the license to an individual account in the terms of use of their service, which means your only remedy under EU law would be to opt out of that service... though it does give you the legal right to sell entire accounts, not individual games. However, since Microsoft IS allowing one-time transfers of game licenses by digital means, they're likely not going to run into any complaints with that law anyway. In fact, their method of license transfer ensures compliance with the EU law, since the EU law states that the license may not be sold until the software is removed from the seller's system completely - which their digital method of transfer takes into account.

(Yes, I sat here in my office at a law firm and read that ruling. I was bored...)
post #2975 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Total anecdote, but the only two friends I have that bought 360s in the last year or so have both been women to do the Kinect Zumba stuff.

I think the turn back to simpler games that the Wii did and also that are on phones would help consoles. I can't imagine the girl I'm dating playing COD Ghosts but I bet she'd play Duck Tales. I think a lot of that stuff could be ported to the One very easily from their PC counterparts.
And we already know that some of those casual games from Windows 8 are being ported as snap-in apps to Xbox One, meaning you could be watching TV and play Words With Friends on the side. If they do that with a lot of their casual game partners on the Win8 side, they ought to do pretty well with $0.99 games on the system. Though my thinking is... if Win8 also uses my Live account, they should let me use any apps I've bought on Win8 that are also available on Xbox One for free. That would do a lot to push some of this additional functionality they're moving toward. We shall see...
post #2976 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

This is just great. Thanks a lot Michaeltscott. Another game I just downloaded on my iPad and now hooked.

Sorry biggrin.gif! I'm not quite sure why but it's my all-time favorite match-three game. For some weird reason it does not work on Nexus 7, so I play it on my phone. Also try Three Squared and Gem Spinner; they're all good and quite different from each other.

I'd agree that my phone/tablet gaming doesn't really compete with my console gaming, as I also only play them while watching TV (during ads and stretches of dialog) and in waiting rooms. I rarely bother with the more elaborate ones, though I do have one pricey one, Bridge Baron. That one, of course, has a limited audience of only Bridge players.
post #2977 of 14792
If all the games are digital now, why doesn't MS just sell the discs for $10 and make you pay the rest on Live when you activate your game. Isn't that how shareware used to work? I remember paying $5 for the original Doom. You got to play the first 6 levels. If you wanted to play the rest you had to buy the full game.
post #2978 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCmdr View Post

If all the games are digital now, why doesn't MS just sell the discs for $10 and make you pay the rest on Live when you activate your game. Isn't that how shareware used to work? I remember paying $5 for the original Doom. You got to play the first 6 levels. If you wanted to play the rest you had to buy the full game.

Because the retailers would never allow it unless $8 of that $10 was theirs. Its not worth them dedicating that much space for $10
post #2979 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Total anecdote, but the only two friends I have that bought 360s in the last year or so have both been women to do the Kinect Zumba stuff.

I think the turn back to simpler games that the Wii did and also that are on phones would help consoles. I can't imagine the girl I'm dating playing COD Ghosts but I bet she'd play Duck Tales. I think a lot of that stuff could be ported to the One very easily from their PC counterparts.

My girl liked Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher and Bioshock to name a few but only on the PC. She can't stand controllers hehe.
post #2980 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-plesser/microsoft-touts-100-perce_b_3460771.html


Now you know why it is always on.... Not that I'm really surprised.. just makes me pissed

Bit of a reach. First of all that's the VP of advertising what do you expect him to say? Second it's implied that this is a benefit of being online 24/7 not the reason the console is like that.
post #2981 of 14792
I just picked $10 out of the air. Price the disks at whatever the retailers' cut of the sale is now.
post #2982 of 14792
BTW: Since people have claimed there are never any good sales on Live, Gears Of War Judgment is now $39.99 on Games On Demand (whereas it's still $59.99 new and $49.99 used at GameStop).

But no, Microsoft would never let anyone sell something cheaper on digital, right? rolleyes.gif
post #2983 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Bit of a reach. First of all that's the VP of advertising what do you expect him to say? Second it's implied that this is a benefit of being online 24/7 not the reason the console is like that.

how is it a reach? the interview is WITH MS, it is funny to me even when MS says something that is obviously negative, people will come defend them and say "that is not the real reason". So who is right, random internet guy or MS?
post #2984 of 14792

Well that'll surely help sell the console to gamers rolleyes.gif.

The other day I saw the first ad for something completely non-content related (game or video) on the PS3; it's still there, in the "What's New" display, "Rohto Cooling Eye Drops". I suppose it's peripherally related in that you might use the eye drops to treat eyestrain from gaming, but it seems a bad precedent.

I suppose I've seen some contests sponsored by non-gaming brands like Doritos, Mountain Dew and Schick but I don't think that any of them was solely an ad for a product with no gaming tie-in.
Edited by michaeltscott - 6/18/13 at 12:41pm
post #2985 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

BTW: Since people have claimed there are never any good sales on Live, Gears Of War Judgment is now $39.99 on Games On Demand (whereas it's still $59.99 new and $49.99 used at GameStop).

And it just hit Games on Demand today, I believe.
post #2986 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

how is it a reach? the interview is WITH MS, it is funny to me even when MS says something that is obviously negative, people will come defend them and say "that is not the real reason". So who is right, random internet guy or MS?

I'm assuming you either didn't watch the video or your reading comprehension took a dive.

1. The guy is the VP of advertising, that's what he's supposed to talk about. He mentions more than just the One and it's used in context of a broader initiative.
2. MS has said there will be no advertisements on your home screen.
3. It stands to reason then that the point of the always on feature isn't because of the desire to advertise to you more(the contention leading to my response to him) but rather that the always on nature is a benefit to their initiative. There's a distinct difference and I'm sure you're smart enough to know what it is.

I think it's funny you assume I'm just blindly defending MS from something "obviously" negative. I've been a pretty vocal critic of a lot of their decisions with the One but even I understand the bigger picture here with respect to this video. Maybe you should try it too.
Edited by pcweber111 - 6/18/13 at 12:52pm
post #2987 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Sorry biggrin.gif! I'm not quite sure why but it's my all-time favorite match-three game. For some weird reason it does not work on Nexus 7, so I play it on my phone. Also try Three Squared and Gem Spinner; they're all good and quite different from each other.

I'd agree that my phone/tablet gaming doesn't really compete with my console gaming, as I also only play them while watching TV (during ads and stretches of dialog) and in waiting rooms. I rarely bother with the more elaborate ones, though I do have one pricey one, Bridge Baron. That one, of course, has a limited audience of only Bridge players.

My daughter got me hooked on Candy Crush and Jewel Mania.
post #2988 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

You're right... You shouldn't buy one. Not that you were going to anyway, right? wink.gif
There will be no repercussions, because that law does not apply to them, no matter how many internet experts try to think it does. The law in the EU applies only to direct sales from publishers to end users for downloadable games. The end result of that law is that the end user has the right to resell that game license. HOWEVER, the ruling also states that the publisher has no legal requirement to provide a mechanism by which that transfer of license may occur. Additionally, services like Steam and Xbox Live which sell game licenses skirt that law by tying the ownership of the license to an individual account in the terms of use of their service, which means your only remedy under EU law would be to opt out of that service... though it does give you the legal right to sell entire accounts, not individual games. However, since Microsoft IS allowing one-time transfers of game licenses by digital means, they're likely not going to run into any complaints with that law anyway. In fact, their method of license transfer ensures compliance with the EU law, since the EU law states that the license may not be sold until the software is removed from the seller's system completely - which their digital method of transfer takes into account.

(Yes, I sat here in my office at a law firm and read that ruling. I was bored...)

Yet this single source of games will bring lower prices to consumers.

And yes, I may buy one well into the cycle when the hardware is cheaper and I can get the first few years AAA titles for cheap. I picked up both consoles this gen and had the XB1 many years ago. Who knows what the future will bring though.
post #2989 of 14792
I've been on this planet for over 50 years. I've been into games when they were just imaginary ones played on boards with dice, cards & spinners. I've been into computers since graduate school. And I watched/enjoyed the evlotution of pure board games...into rough PC games (pong)...to cartridge games...to disk games...to DD games. Exscuse me if I missed a few. But I enjoyed every step of the journey. Because imagination and technology always seemed to lead to a better game playing experience. Which brings me to say this. In all of my years of gaming...I have never awakend in a morning thinking about a damn game machine. NEVER! Until today. The machine has always just been the "Board" to me. Meaning a way to deliver the game experience...which allowed me to imagine outcomes.

I woke up this morning thinking about the XB1 and the 15%-20% of it that I dislike. I'm firmly on record in this forum with my overall favorable opinion of XB1. And I still like it. But if I am honest with myself...as an avid XBox user from day 1...I had to admit to myself that Sony has the best pure "gaming" board for next generation. Especially in the sense that I play games. You can group my 15-20% dislike opinion of XB1 around just a few simple things:
  1. Horrific proliferation of system polluting Ads. And this will only get worse in the MS/XBox ecosystem IMO. They will most definitely begin to engineer them directly into of the core game experience itself. Because selling AD real estate seems to be one of their prime 3 goals. Just think how much I am annoyed when I scan a page...with my mouse or finger (Win8) in AVS Forum and get those invasive Ad popups & distractions. Now just imagine this happening on steroids on my console and ingame. MAJOR Nuisance! I accept it as part of my PC experience. I even like some aspects of it on the PC. I completely reject it as part of my gaming experience. It freezes my ability to imangine. And imposes a major distraction & disconnected message into my experience.
  2. Hyper politicization of the system via questionable alliances...questionable apps...restrictions...and technology that we have all talked about on this thread and the old one. ANd has absolutely nothing to do with Gaming! This one imposes anger...mistrust...hostility and loathing into a system or format where I am only looking for escapism from it. Especially when the voluntary aspects are stripped from them. Again...I accept and expect this kind of stuff on a PC. Not on my game "board". And I certainly do not expect it embedded in my games in the future.
  3. If I had to 80/20 my gaming preference...I'd say it was actually 90% single player to 10% multiplayer. I know Sony's PS4 would optimize that SP preference and make it very easy for me. Not so sure about MS. But MS makes it very easy for me to service that 10% preference where it counts. Meaning in my family network. Because that is the only place I play Multi player/CO-OP games.

That's pretty much it. The only thing I completely dislike about Sony is the Controller it has with PS3. That's why I never played mine that much. If the PS4 controller is just like it...it will not see the light of day in my house anytime soon. Well...maybe not. I could always train myself to use and like it, I guess. Because everything else about PS4 is very impressive. But XB1 is that big of a deal to me. Especially considering its unmatched potential to converge many aspects of the new gaming frontier into a multi platform experience. On that one, I have the luxury of time on my side. I can just wait to buy XB1 until MS is humbled into submission on their negatives. My biggest angst with MS is that they turned my favorite game console into just another HTPC. That is locked and even more restrictive than a Win PC. Seems to me that MS is caught up a little bit trying to backward engineer their way into being Apple (with XBox). That's what I woke up thinking about this morning. And I didn't like where my head was.
post #2990 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I'm assuming you either didn't watch the video or your reading comprehension took a dive.

1. The guy is the VP of advertising, that's what he's supposed to talk about. He mentions more than just the One and it's used in context of a broader initiative.
2. MS has said there will be no advertisements on your home screen.
3. It stands to reason then that the point of the always on feature isn't because of the desire to advertise to you more(the contention leading to my response to him) but rather that the always on nature is a benefit to their initiative. There's a distinct difference and I'm sure you're smart enough to know what it is.

I think it's funny you assume I'm just blindly defending MS from something "obviously" negative. I've been a pretty vocal critic of a lot of their decisions with the One but even I understand the bigger picture here with respect to this video. Maybe you should try it too.

let's just say my reading comprehension took a dive and leave it at that..
post #2991 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

And we already know that some of those casual games from Windows 8 are being ported as snap-in apps to Xbox One, meaning you could be watching TV and play Words With Friends on the side. If they do that with a lot of their casual game partners on the Win8 side, they ought to do pretty well with $0.99 games on the system. Though my thinking is... if Win8 also uses my Live account, they should let me use any apps I've bought on Win8 that are also available on Xbox One for free. That would do a lot to push some of this additional functionality they're moving toward. We shall see...

Or you could use your tablet or phone for the apps and use all your screen real estate for your primary activity. The public will have the last word on the success of this.
post #2992 of 14792
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Except what happens it I did my 24hr check in and then go offline? Or even when my internet chokes and becomes severely lagged. This happens to me quite a bit even though I live about 7 miles from one of the largest cities in the country.

Umm, too bad I guess? That really has nothing to do with what I was posting about which was offloading work to servers to make the console work less. If your internet sucks, you probably shouldn't buy that game.
Edited by RemoWilliams84 - 6/18/13 at 1:18pm
post #2993 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

You're right... You shouldn't buy one. Not that you were going to anyway, right? wink.gif
There will be no repercussions, because that law does not apply to them, no matter how many internet experts try to think it does. The law in the EU applies only to direct sales from publishers to end users for downloadable games. The end result of that law is that the end user has the right to resell that game license. HOWEVER, the ruling also states that the publisher has no legal requirement to provide a mechanism by which that transfer of license may occur. Additionally, services like Steam and Xbox Live which sell game licenses skirt that law by tying the ownership of the license to an individual account in the terms of use of their service, which means your only remedy under EU law would be to opt out of that service... though it does give you the legal right to sell entire accounts, not individual games. However, since Microsoft IS allowing one-time transfers of game licenses by digital means, they're likely not going to run into any complaints with that law anyway. In fact, their method of license transfer ensures compliance with the EU law, since the EU law states that the license may not be sold until the software is removed from the seller's system completely - which their digital method of transfer takes into account.

(Yes, I sat here in my office at a law firm and read that ruling. I was bored...)

Jeremy, for the love of god you need to stop responding to this clown. You do realize you've had to correct him several times now in this thread regarding this issue. Seriously, he's like a broken record with this EU argument.

There are a few of you that really need to move to the PS4 thread.
post #2994 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I'm assuming you either didn't watch the video or your reading comprehension took a dive.

1. The guy is the VP of advertising, that's what he's supposed to talk about. He mentions more than just the One and it's used in context of a broader initiative.
2. MS has said there will be no advertisements on your home screen.
3. It stands to reason then that the point of the always on feature isn't because of the desire to advertise to you more(the contention leading to my response to him) but rather that the always on nature is a benefit to their initiative. There's a distinct difference and I'm sure you're smart enough to know what it is.

I think it's funny you assume I'm just blindly defending MS from something "obviously" negative. I've been a pretty vocal critic of a lot of their decisions with the One but even I understand the bigger picture here with respect to this video. Maybe you should try it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

let's just say my reading comprehension took a dive and leave it at that..

Don't think that marketing opportunities did not play into any of their decisions. This is a very significant portion of the MS future vision.
Quote:
Google collected $4.61 billion in mobile ad revenue worldwide in 2012, a figure that represents more than half of the $8.8 billion mobile ad market and almost a third of all digital ad spending that year, according to metrics firm eMarketer.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/google-grabs-half-of-all-mobile-ad-reven/240156741

A very big pie to tap into with cross platform ads driven by marketing demographic research pulled in from the Xbone, Bing, Skype and any other sources available. It would be very naive of you to not acknowledge that this is part of the plan and influenced the design of the Xbone. MS is on record saying that it is more than just a game machine and an important piece of their integrated product portfolio. This would mean that design elements were influenced by other factors than gaming.
post #2995 of 14792
No doubt, and online ad revenue is a big part of a lot of companies decision making process. I'm saying though that I doubt it was the leading reason behind the always on nature which was what I took away from the original post I responded to. Then again I don't work in their advertising division so I guess he was right, who do you believe, MS or some random internet guy. rolleyes.gif

Of course you could just bypass that altogether and just turn the console completely off.
post #2996 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Umm, too bad I guess? That really has nothing to do with what I was posting about which was offloading work to servers to make the console work less. If your internet sucks, you probably shouldn't buy that game.

Are game developers going to limit their audience like this? I think this is why cloud computing will not be used for anything significant and will be backed up by console computations in situations when the cloud is not viable. This limits the clouds ability to make games better. This is what I was getting at with my question.
post #2997 of 14792
To be honest we need to see how their cloud initiative is going to play out before passing judgement on it's merit or worthiness. Part of the issue is this creates a potential class barrier with the system between the have and the have nots. Want a better game experience? Stay connected, get better internet, move out of the sticks. Otherwise? Did we mention we have an offline solution? biggrin.gif
post #2998 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post


Don't think that marketing opportunities did not play into any of their decisions. This is a very significant portion of the MS future vision.
http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/google-grabs-half-of-all-mobile-ad-reven/240156741

A very big pie to tap into with cross platform ads driven by marketing demographic research pulled in from the Xbone, Bing, Skype and any other sources available. It would be very naive of you to not acknowledge that this is part of the plan and influenced the design of the Xbone. MS is on record saying that it is more than just a game machine and an important piece of their integrated product portfolio. This would mean that design elements were influenced by other factors than gaming.

agree 100%
post #2999 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Horrific proliferation of system polluting Ads. And this will only get worse in the MS/XBox ecosystem IMO.

There have been in-game ads for years; tons in popular sports games and some billboards in action/adventure/shooter type games. I don't think that I've seen product placements, like a character drinking a real named brand beverage of any sort, or eating a some named brand snack.

They've stated that there will be no ads on the home page of the Xbox One UI; everything there runs a recently used game or app or one that you pinned there. That's something.

I don't mind ads for gaming or video products since that's what I consume with the console. Ads for food and drink and cosmetic products are something else again. I've just seen my first of those with no specific game tie in on the PS3 "What's New" section; bad sign.
post #3000 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Yet this single source of games will bring lower prices to consumers.

And yes, I may buy one well into the cycle when the hardware is cheaper and I can get the first few years AAA titles for cheap. I picked up both consoles this gen and had the XB1 many years ago. Who knows what the future will bring though.
But if MS has a monopoly like you always say, then what makes you think AAA titles will be cheap? According to you, prices won't get lowered on the XB1 because there won't be competition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...