or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 103

post #3061 of 14772
I don't know why they call it lending. You don't get it back. Should just say give. True that they couldn't play it until it was deactivated from your account.
post #3062 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtweezy View Post

As far as Dad's go, I was at my Dad's over the weekend setting up his new tv for him. My Dad is probably the most technologically inept person I know. Anyway, I had given him a Harmony Remote to try and make life easier for him, but him and my Mom kept messing that up as well. Then I got to thinking about how the Xbox One could potentially make their Tv and movie watching a lot easier. If he could just talk to it and tell it what to do, that would be great. He also likes to play poker games on the old 360 I gave him. I think I have him sold on one if the Tv integration pans out. The only issue I foresee, is the Kinect I have now has trouble understanding our Southern dialect. Hopefully, they can improve upon that.

The thing that might be really great for our technology challenged parents is the new gold plan. If you can associate their account on your Gold enabled Xbox and they have gold access anywhere else they log into that means the barrier of Xbox Live gold apps goes away.
post #3063 of 14772
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57589998-75/xbox-one-dissed-during-ps4-spot-on-jimmy-fallon-show/



I do like the way they sugar coat it... Its not really a piracy check its to see if you have any new games to play... LOL
Quote:
the Xbox One needs to check in with Microsoft once every 24 hours to determine if you've added more games to your collection.
post #3064 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Retail trikes back...?

http://gengame.net/2013/06/gamestop-no-longer-taking-xbox-one-pre-orders/

The XBOne is still on their website for pre-orders. Gamestop has twelve bundles listed for the XBOne and eleven bundles listed for the PS4.
post #3065 of 14772
I really dont get all this hate for the new Xbox One. It looks fantastic. I like many of the things they have added. Not needing the disc to run the game, sharing the games across our family live account on 2 xbox ones, that right there is HUGE. Right now me and my son cant play black ops together because we only have one copy. That should not be the case any longer. Needing an internet connection?? Of course you need an internet connection! And the used games "issue" we dont really buy any so for us all these issues are non issues. People going crazy I guess I just dont get it.
post #3066 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

......Needing an internet connection?? Of course you need an internet connection!.....

And why should that be? I don't play online multiplayer. Why should I need an internet connection for my Xbox?
post #3067 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

People going crazy I guess I just dont get it.

You don’t mind periods of not being able to access the games you licensed?

The problem isn’t needed internet. The problem is having to ping a server every single day to allow you the privilege of playing games you bought. ISP have issues, internet goes down, MS servers go down, or at some point in the future they decide they want out; bye bye games!

It’s a big deal for many of us. That’s not even getting into the fact that they’re taking all that ownership equity away and pocketing it as profits, instead of making DD cheaper for us.
post #3068 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

And why should that be? I don't play online multiplayer. Why should I need an internet connection for my Xbox?

Because that is the requirement. You don't like it don't buy it. People are making a choice now and will make a choice later. Your question has been answered by them and isn't needed to be answered by anyone here ou it is a requirement for their system. Deal with it or don't. A lot of us don't have an issue with this since we are always connected with all our devices we own. My car has its own hotspot. We are on AVS everyday talking online. I find it funny the same people that talk on here every single day are the ones complaining about always online. I will repeat just as much as this wasted question is asked. Deal with it or don't, YOU have options.
post #3069 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

You don’t mind periods of not being able to access the games you licensed?

The problem isn’t needed internet. The problem is having to ping a server every single day to allow you the privilege of playing games you bought. ISP have issues, internet goes down, MS servers go down, or at some point in the future they decide they want out; bye bye games!

It’s a big deal for many of us. That’s not even getting into the fact that they’re taking all that ownership equity away and pocketing it as profits, instead of making DD cheaper for us.

Nope I don't mind that slim chance at all.

I honestly cannot recall the last time I was 'disconnected' from skynet for more than a few hours..........that including being at home....at work......on the road........at the dog park.........taking a ****.......eating out.........going to the movies.........going to the grocery store........

MS is not forcing you to do a damn thing.......the XB1 has requirements just like any other thing or service we buy. If we like it we buy it if not we don't. Nothing has changed.
post #3070 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Because that is the requirement. You don't like it don't buy it. People are making a choice now and will make a choice later. Your question has been answered by them and isn't needed to be answered by anyone here ou it is a requirement for their system. Deal with it or don't. A lot of us don't have an issue with this since we are always connected with all our devices we own. My car has its own hotspot. We are on AVS everyday talking online. I find it funny the same people that talk on here every single day are the ones complaining about always online. I will repeat just as much as this wasted question is asked. Deal with it or don't, YOU have options.

Well that's the thing, people want the Xbox One but do not want these policies .

Do nothing, say nothing and nothing changes . If enough people Voice their opinions before they purchase then these things can actually be changed. No one is Bashing the Xbox they are bashing Microsoft and their policies.

Just because you don't care about your rights, or is of no concern to you doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Everyone should be heard or would you rather take away the First Amendment as well.

Just let people have their say, this isn't a FANBOY only thread. These are issues which many potential XBOX owners are concerned with and want to voice their opinions on and will continue to do so while there is a chance that things change. by MN's latest comments there is a good chance it may.
post #3071 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Because that is the requirement. You don't like it don't buy it. People are making a choice now and will make a choice later. Your question has been answered by them and isn't needed to be answered by anyone here ou it is a requirement for their system. Deal with it or don't. A lot of us don't have an issue with this since we are always connected with all our devices we own. My car has its own hotspot. We are on AVS everyday talking online. I find it funny the same people that talk on here every single day are the ones complaining about always online. I will repeat just as much as this wasted question is asked. Deal with it or don't, YOU have options.

In the context of the post I was referring to, the statement implied that it's obvious that an internet connection should be required. I don't see that as an obvious conclusion with a next generation gaming console. MS has chosen to require an internet connection, but as has been stated here several times already, it's completely arbitrary.
post #3072 of 14772
The internet requirement makes perfect sense for the way that Microsoft wants us to use the xbox1. With the other uses of the xbox1 such as a cable or dish box it makes sense as well. It is the lack of choice in how I use my console that Microsoft is pushing on us that has many loyal xbox users upset. I know I have a choice I just wish the company that I have supported for so long cared about how I wanted to use my console more then how they wanted me to use my console.
post #3073 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

You don’t mind periods of not being able to access the games you licensed?

The problem isn’t needed internet. The problem is having to ping a server every single day to allow you the privilege of playing games you bought. ISP have issues, internet goes down, MS servers go down, or at some point in the future they decide they want out; bye bye games!

It’s a big deal for many of us. That’s not even getting into the fact that they’re taking all that ownership equity away and pocketing it as profits, instead of making DD cheaper for us.

Nope. Gaming doesn't run my life. I got a job and family and priorities are far more important than gaming and if I don't have access when I do have time to play whether my Internet may go down(which is rarely) I got all types of other activities I enjoy. That's how it is when it comes to military deployments and parenting. When we are deployed we can't watch US commercials or Super Bowl commercials lol. We have to deal with it. Thats life. Far more important things to be worried about.

Again TyrantII, all you are doing is repeating what you have said over and over about your rights and concerns about 20 years from now. Don't buy it and you won't have to worry about if these things happen. It isn't even released and you keep pushing all this as fact today. If Sony does this in the future and you feel salty about it still find a new hobby.

All these issues you keep saying are issues for MS are the same for Sony. Sony has been down consistently with their network and and deal with ISP and personal Internet outages.
I would think if you have a tornado or hurricane the last thing people are concerned about is access to play online.
post #3074 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post


I honestly cannot recall the last time I was 'disconnected' from skynet for more than a few hours........ice we buy. If we like it we buy it if not we don't. Nothing has changed.

I think hours is more likely unless you are in a sandy or andrew type situation.

However the 24 hours doesn't need to be 24 hours from the time you loose internet so when it does stop working and you decide you want to play a game to wait out the cable it may be that the unit had already timed out (if it wasn't plugged in) or there are minutes or hours left since the last time it checked in. So that 24 hour period will more often be much smaller but I doubt it effects a great deal of people overall.
post #3075 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

People going crazy I guess I just dont get it.

See communities like this one for just one illustration on why there are issues here if you can't understand why some are upset. Not everyone's gaming habits align perfectly with yours.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php

It's not difficult to see that there's a very large minority of gamers that take a regular interest in gaming's past. So it's not hard to comprehend this segment's disappointment with these DRM plans since classic gaming of the future where the Xbone is concerned if Microsoft sticks to their guns, excepting potential emulation in the future or possible homebrew modifications that might circumvent these draconian DRM measures on the original hardware itself, will be impossible where revisiting these games are concerned once Microsoft flips that server switch off for the final time someday.

Yet my heavy sixer that was outshopped from Sunnyvale in 1977 is still kicking, my hundreds of 2600 cartridges for it are still just fine, I'm able to still add to my collection, and there is a lot of homebrew development with hardware modifications, new accessories, and new games that regularly surpass most of the commercially released titles from back in the day. The only limits there are the physical life of the equipment itself.

By comparison, the Xbone has a built in expiration date of Microsoft's choosing. The Xbone will only exist in the form of useless bricks, useless coasters, YouTube videos, and caches of long gone sites like IGN and AVS at internet history archives when it's 35 years old.

And this is just for those that want to be able to play these games past the point where Microsoft is done with the platform. There are a myriad of other reasons why there are issues here for far more people than this segment like the renters, those that like to lend games, those that like to fund future purchases with their older games that they're finished with, and just those that plain don't like their freedoms they've traditionally enjoyed being stripped away in a favorite hobby of theirs.

You could voluntarily buy every last game new, always only played on your own console, always be connected to the internet, and happily retire your Xbox One the day the Xbox 1440 is released a decade from now and still have reasonable reason to take issue with these DRM plans.
Edited by Leo_Ames - 6/19/13 at 7:29am
post #3076 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Because that is the requirement. You don't like it don't buy it. People are making a choice now and will make a choice later. Your question has been answered by them and isn't needed to be answered by anyone here ou it is a requirement for their system. Deal with it or don't. A lot of us don't have an issue with this since we are always connected with all our devices we own. My car has its own hotspot. We are on AVS everyday talking online. I find it funny the same people that talk on here every single day are the ones complaining about always online. I will repeat just as much as this wasted question is asked. Deal with it or don't, YOU have options.

Just to chime in, as an Xbox fan, and passionate since xbox live started, day one. We look at sales, and wanting Xbox to be successful. If you look at the current 360, I believe they have sold close to 80 million world wide, and have 40 million gold members. Thats not to say that 40 million arent connected to the internet, it could be price, it could be there parents, who knows. But Ps3 ended up neck and neck with the 360, after a very slow start. So the rational worry is that developers always go where the install base is. Sure Microsoft can snag some exclusives here and there, but if you alienate a a decent portion of your install base, and the competior is not. Where do you think those people go ? On top of that they allow you to sell used games on ebay, etc. People naturally worry that Xbox has made a tragic mistake. On top of that they have terrible Pr. In the past few days we have seen links to the Army times, and now the Navy times, just slamming Xbox and all the restrictions, and they give an interview stating that if you dont like it, the 360 is there for you. Luckily the major news stations havent ran with this story, because its a huge pr disaster waiting to explode. So just because someone has critism towards some of these half thought out polices, and responses by Ms, doesnt mean they are not a fan. As mentioned, I have been a huge fan since day one, but Microsofts arrogance has pushed me to preorder both consoles, and I may cancel the Xbone preorder unless they come up with a solution for our troops that are sacrificing their lives so we can sit at home and play video games.
post #3077 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

I think hours is more likely unless you are in a sandy or andrew type situation.

However the 24 hours doesn't need to be 24 hours from the time you loose internet so when it does stop working and you decide you want to play a game to wait out the cable it may be that the unit had already timed out (if it wasn't plugged in) or there are minutes or hours left since the last time it checked in. So that 24 hour period will more often be much smaller but I doubt it effects a great deal of people overall.

MS has stated that the amount of data it needs to xfer to 'verify' is basically insignificant.....my guess is that as long as XB1 is connected it verifies things periodically....as long as it gets at least one 'hit' every 24 hours all will be good.
post #3078 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Well that's the thing, people want the Xbox One but do not want these policies .

Do nothing, say nothing and nothing changes . If enough people Voice their opinions before they purchase then these things can actually be changed. No one is Bashing the Xbox they are bashing Microsoft and their policies.

Just because you don't care about your rights, or is of no concern to you doesn't mean everyone feels that way. Everyone should be heard or would you rather take away the First Amendment as well.

Just let people have their say, this isn't a FANBOY only thread. These are issues which many potential XBOX owners are concerned with and want to voice their opinions on and will continue to do so while there is a chance that things change. by MN's latest comments there is a good chance it may.

If it changes it changes if it doesn't oh we'll. it isn't going to change because you posted here on AVS. If it is your rights you are so worried about how come your not at the steps of your Congressman. Go do a million man march. Contact MS directly. Or don't buy it. Repeating yourself here isn't going to make any change. We heard the same thing about paying for online. It is so wrong that I have to pay to play blah blah blah and now after 12 years Sony feels the same way and now it is all good.

I can't trade my games on Steam and I don't worry about my Internet or ISP going down. I pay 56 a month for 50meg uncapped service and since I am about to start working for that company I will be getting it for free I don't have fears of the NSA spying on me with my Kinect. I am military and they have everything on me already.

This was never a fanboy only thread but this isn't the I need to bitch over and over thread either. If you or others feel you need to complain, repeat, fight or whine then create a thread dedicated to all of that and then it won't be any issues.
post #3079 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

truth hurts huh?

Please stop. You're not helping your cause at all here.

PS4 is outselling the XB1 right now (fact). To what degree, we have no idea.
post #3080 of 14772
Microsoft has chosen to blaze a new trail with the Xbox One, and being online at least once every 24 hours is part of it. This may be tough for some longtime Xbox fans to swallow, but if you don't have reliable Internet access, refuse to pay for Live Gold, primarily buy used games, and have never downloaded demos, patches or DLC, you are not within the target audience for the Xbox One.
post #3081 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Just to chime in, as an Xbox fan, and passionate since xbox live started, day one. We look at sales, and wanting Xbox to be successful. If you look at the current 360, I believe they have sold close to 80 million world wide, and have 40 million gold members. Thats not to say that 40 million arent connected to the internet, it could be price, it could be there parents, who knows. But Ps3 ended up neck and neck with the 360, after a very slow start. So the rational worry is that developers always go where the install base is. Sure Microsoft can snag some exclusives here and there, but if you alienate a a decent portion of your install base, and the competior is not. Where do you think those people go ? On top of that they allow you to sell used games on ebay, etc. People naturally worry that Xbox has made a tragic mistake. On top of that they have terrible Pr. In the past few days we have seen links to the Army times, and now the Navy times, just slamming Xbox and all the restrictions, and they give an interview stating that if you dont like it, the 360 is there for you. Luckily the major news stations havent ran with this story, because its a huge pr disaster waiting to explode. So just because someone has critism towards some of these half thought out polices, and responses by Ms, doesnt mean they are not a fan. As mentioned, I have been a huge fan since day one, but Microsofts arrogance has pushed me to preorder both consoles, and I may cancel the Xbone preorder unless they come up with a solution for our troops that are sacrificing their lives so we can sit at home and play video games.

As a military member, I have no problem accessing Internet. If I am on a deployment. I am more worried about having access to my email than I am with accessing online for my 360 or playing it for that matter. I have far more important things to worry about than video games.
If that is their worry, more power to them. Those same members can't access Steam for 6 months or a year out in the sea. I can't use my cell phone and still have pay my bill or I turn it off and lose my unlimited plan I grandfathered into. Military survived long before Xbox came on the scene. We will survive now.
post #3082 of 14772
Found this online, for those still wondering about the game sharing aspect. Typically I'd expect people to physically share the disc with lcoal people only, but it shows the advantages of Xbox One.

post #3083 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtweezy View Post

My friend at work plays 360 a lot, but doesn't read forums or really keep up with this aspect of the community. I've been basically telling him all I know about the Xbox One and he shares the same opinion as I do. Which is, we don't have a problem with the used games or the always online requirement. What we are excited about is the shared games, being able to switch games quickly without having to get and up and look for a disc, and swapping between watching Tv and gaming instantly. Well, I told him today that he should pre order the Xbox One so that we can start playing on launch day. As I said before, he's not really an "internet" person, so he goes to Gamestop to pre order. He calls me a little later telling me that Gamestop was doing everything they could to persuade him to get the PS4 over the Xbox, bashing it like we are all seeing across the internet. In the end, they wouldn't let him pre order, saying that they were only getting 12 and they were spoken for. It makes me wonder, is this going on at most Gamestops? Is their management trying to make them upsell the Ps4 due to the used game debacle? Wouldn't suprise me if it were true.

While I understand why they are acting like this, I'm really hoping this next-gen console is the death spell for GS. Reading stuff like this only re-affirms my disdain for them.
post #3084 of 14772
Sharing games digitally was already easily possible on the PS3 and I'm sure it will remain so with the PS4. So that's hardly an exclusive benefit here with the Xbone.

The PS4 difference is that physical media and the benefits traditionally associated with it still exist. It's an all digital world on the Xbone by comparison without the basic option that game consoles have had since 1977 of just inserting any compatible cartridge/disc into your system and just playing with no restrictions.
post #3085 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Funny thing it Sony is just as much a threat, pushing release day digital delivery, splitting up SP/MP downloads, and almost instant playing of downloaded games.

But MS can't wait for the market to finish the race it's well within, and decided to hasten along whats already happening by itself. They painted a huge bulls eye on their back. Now Sony is the good guy, instead of being just as complicit! Hilarious!

In your eyes maybe, because many of us on here believe MS is looking to the future and making our gaming experience more efficient with DD.
post #3086 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Sharing games digitally was already easily possible on the PS3 and I'm sure it will remain so with the PS4. So that's hardly an exclusive benefit here with the Xbone.

The PS4 difference is that physical media and the benefits traditionally associated with it still exist. It's an all digital world on the Xbone by comparison without the basic option that game consoles have had since 1977 of just inserting any compatible cartridge/disc into your system and just playing with no restrictions.

PS3 digital sharing is not an equivalent, and it still won't be on the PS4.
post #3087 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

If it changes it changes if it doesn't oh we'll. it isn't going to change because you posted here on AVS. If it is your rights you are so worried about how come your not at the steps of your Congressman. Go do a million man march. Contact MS directly. Or don't buy it. Repeating yourself here isn't going to make any change. We heard the same thing about paying for online. It is so wrong that I have to pay to play blah blah blah and now after 12 years Sony feels the same way and now it is all good.

I can't trade my games on Steam and I don't worry about my Internet or ISP going down. I pay 56 a month for 50meg uncapped service and since I am about to start working for that company I will be getting it for free I don't have fears of the NSA spying on me with my Kinect. I am military and they have everything on me already.

This was never a fanboy only thread but this isn't the I need to bitch over and over thread either. If you or others feel you need to complain, repeat, fight or whine then create a thread dedicated to all of that and then it won't be any issues.


New people ask questions and they are answered. Because YOU don't want to hear it , too bad. As long as it is relevant to the Xbox one , good or bad, repeated or not. Deal with it.

No need to hear you bitch and moan every time someone says their peace. If you don't want to hear what people have to say then ignore it or block the users comments and move on.
post #3088 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

See communities like this one for just one illustration on why there are issues here if you can't understand why some are upset. Not everyone's gaming habits align perfectly with yours.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php

It's not difficult to see that there's a very large minority of gamers that take a regular interest in gaming's past. So it's not hard to comprehend this segment's disappointment with these DRM plans since classic gaming of the future where the Xbone is concerned if Microsoft sticks to their guns, excepting potential emulation in the future or possible homebrew modifications that might circumvent these draconian DRM measures on the original hardware itself, will be impossible where revisiting these games are concerned once Microsoft flips that server switch off for the final time someday.

Yet my heavy sixer that was outshopped from Sunnyvale in 1977 is still kicking, my hundreds of 2600 cartridges for it are still just fine, I'm able to still add to my collection, and there is a lot of homebrew development with hardware modifications, new accessories, and new games that regularly surpass most of the commercially released titles from back in the day. The only limits there are the physical life of the equipment itself.

By comparison, the Xbone has a built in expiration date of Microsoft's choosing. The Xbone will only exist in the form of useless bricks, useless coasters, YouTube videos, and caches of long gone sites like IGN and AVS at internet history archives when it's 35 years old.

And this is just for those that want to be able to play these games past the point where Microsoft is done with the platform. There are a myriad of other reasons why there are issues here for far more people than this segment like the renters, those that like to lend games, those that like to fund future purchases with their older games that they're finished with, and just those that plain don't like their freedoms they've traditionally enjoyed being stripped away in a favorite hobby of theirs.

You could voluntarily buy every last game new, always only played on your own console, always be connected to the internet, and happily retire your Xbox One the day the Xbox 1440 is released a decade from now and still have reasonable reason to take issue with these DRM plans.

I don't care about dig dug, pitfall, kid Icarus and Mario 64. I won't care about Titanfall 30 years from now because like the previous console I will have moved on to something new. 30 years from now the majority won't care if the server for Titanfall is off only the small group of people holding onto the past. When the Xbox One is released I will barely touch my 360. GTA 5 is about the only reason. After that I am moving on. I deal with DRM today with Steam and the check in doesn't bother me with the ONE.
post #3089 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

And why should that be? I don't play online multiplayer. Why should I need an internet connection for my Xbox?

It's called the 21st century!
post #3090 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Nope. Gaming doesn't run my life. I got a job and family and priorities are far more important than gaming and if I don't have access when I do have time to play whether my Internet may go down(which is rarely) I got all types of other activities I enjoy. That's how it is when it comes to military deployments and parenting. When we are deployed we can't watch US commercials or Super Bowl commercials lol. We have to deal with it. Thats life. Far more important things to be worried about.

Again TyrantII, all you are doing is repeating what you have said over and over about your rights and concerns about 20 years from now. Don't buy it and you won't have to worry about if these things happen. It isn't even released and you keep pushing all this as fact today. If Sony does this in the future and you feel salty about it still find a new hobby.

All these issues you keep saying are issues for MS are the same for Sony. Sony has been down consistently with their network and and deal with ISP and personal Internet outages.
I would think if you have a tornado or hurricane the last thing people are concerned about is access to play online.

Perfectly stated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...