or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 3

post #61 of 14765
I'm still not impressed. People deal with these situations now without any extreme strain. If you resume a game and pick up the wrong controller it should become pretty quickly obvious.
post #62 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm sorry, but how is this useful? Why would two players swap controllers during a game?

If a game really needs Kinect I'd uncover it. I just hope that it will work at all with it covered.
I wasn't saying that you would want to do that... Just that you can. It's basically an easier and automatic way of signing in and having a controller associated with you. If this all works as advertised, of course. They're also using the Kinect 2 to track controller movement and location... so you could do things like jump by flicking the controller up, etc. We'll see how much of that, if any, is actually put into use by developers.

I think people are being entirely too paranoid, and Microsoft has already confirmed that you will be able to control what data (i.e. camera, voice, etc.) is shared with them. But considering that Sony is also leveraging the new PSEye in PS4, I guess people who are that concerned may just have to opt out of this console generation and stick with their PCs. Personally, I'm glad they're making it a requirement because it means developers are more likely to use some of the features. Between the improved response time and the lower latency of the new controllers thanks to WiFi Direct, I'm pretty stoked to see what they do with it all.
post #63 of 14765
I just hope they give us the option to select the channel that WiFi direct uses. Otherwise it can cause issues like the Roku3 can with WiFi Direct. When it uses the same channel as a nearby AP and speeds to devices get cut in half. It defaults to the same channel as the closest AP. You have to force it to a different channel. But only if you are using a wired internet connection. If you are using wireless you are SOL.
post #64 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm still not impressed. People deal with these situations now without any extreme strain. If you resume a game and pick up the wrong controller it should become pretty quickly obvious.

what are you talking about? don't you remember everyone complaining about that when they bought NES, i mean everyone was saying things like, "How are we supposed to remember which controller was mine after i go get a coke"
post #65 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

what are you talking about? don't you remember everyone complaining about that when they bought NES, i mean everyone was saying things like, "How are we supposed to remember which controller was mine after i go get a coke"
Some people will just complain because it's the Xbox. You just have to accept it.
post #66 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Some people will just complain because it's the Xbox. You just have to accept it.

That would hardly be me, inasmuch as I owned an original Xbox and am on my third Xbox 360 (all of which were still working when I moved on to a newer model); I spent a couple of hours playing RB3 on it yesterday and a few watching tennis on ESPN3 and will no doubt use it again today. I love the Xbox; just not so convinced that all of the Xbox One's "improvements" are particularly useful.
post #67 of 14765
Lets see how much of the functionality of both systems actually comes to fruition and then is actually used. Every console launch is steeped in hype that never materializes for many reasons.
post #68 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That would hardly be me, inasmuch as I owned an original Xbox and am on my third Xbox 360 (all of which were still working when I moved on to a newer model); I spent a couple of hours playing RB3 on it yesterday and a few watching tennis on ESPN3 and will no doubt use it again today. I love the Xbox; just not so convinced that all of the Xbox One's "improvements" are particularly useful.
It's a new system, that will run all the newer games better than the 360 can do. Sure, there may be things that you don't like about the system (kinect), but with Sony going with the camera, I have a feeling that this is just part of the evolution of gaming.
post #69 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's a developed nation with over 100 million people, so its a relatively big market they're stepping away from. But kinect and small apartments are like oil and water anyway, which would only make their situation worse. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't even release it in Japan this year, and save all the supply for the west.

%$#& Japan. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, two pretty good and totally ignored games, are all MS need to refer to. Most importantly, MS and Japanese devs know that they can still sell games that are made for a console not viable in their home market. XB1 will probably sell more on import in Japan than the 360 did being sold domestically.
post #70 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

It's a new system, that will run all the newer games better than the 360 can do.

Obviously the one absolutely desirable and real improvement--the huge leap in computing and graphics power which enables more immersive video gaming experiences. It looks as though they've also made some nice improvements in the controller. The other stuff, particularly mandatory Kinect, not so useful.

I own a first gen Kinect and though it can be used to control all of the apps with voice and gestures, I only enable it when I want to play a motion controlled game, like one of the Kinect Sports titles or Fruit Ninja Kinect. I can see where some games might be significantly enhanced with the addition of voice control; cool. If there's a reason to use it, I'll use it. I'd just like to be able to completely disable it at all other times. The degree to which that will be possible is not yet clear.
post #71 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Obviously the one absolutely desirable and real improvement--the huge leap in computing and graphics power which enables more immersive video gaming experiences. It looks as though they've also made some nice improvements in the controller. The other stuff, particularly mandatory Kinect, not so useful.

I own a first gen Kinect and though it can be used to control all of the apps with voice and gestures, I only enable it when I want to play a motion controlled game, like one of the Kinect Sports titles or Fruit Ninja Kinect. I can see where some games might be significantly enhanced with the addition of voice control; cool. If there's a reason to use it, I'll use it. I'd just like to be able to completely disable it at all other times. The degree to which that will be possible is not yet clear.
I can understand that. I am hoping that you can turn the mic off completely, because I have a lot going on in my living room. And while I am not a Kinect fan, that wouldn't be enough to turn me off to the console, especially when sony also has a camera.
post #72 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post

%$#& Japan. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, two pretty good and totally ignored games, are all MS need to refer to. Most importantly, MS and Japanese devs know that they can still sell games that are made for a console not viable in their home market. XB1 will probably sell more on import in Japan than the 360 did being sold domestically.
This is true. Both of those games were pretty good games if you like JRPG's, and the Japanese gamers didn't care. I don't think it's smart to give up on a region, but I am not running MS so I don't have all the data they do. Plus, do any of us really care how well the console we enjoy playing sells in other regions? I play the Xbox with my friends, so as long as me and my friends are enjoying it, I could care less what gamers in other areas think about it.
post #73 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I can understand that. I am hoping that you can turn the mic off completely, because I have a lot going on in my living room. And while I am not a Kinect fan, that wouldn't be enough to turn me off to the console, especially when sony also has a camera.

The PS4 also has functions which require a camera, but are you forced to use them? Also unclear.

I'm much less interested in PS4, since I've owned a PS3 since launch and barely used it. They only introduced a single exclusive IP which had any real attraction for me, the Uncharted games all of which I enjoyed. I've never found a reason to buy any of the multi-platform titles for PS3.
post #74 of 14765
I agree with this quote.

Like countless others, I’m not sold. In fact, I am not entirely convinced that I want one system to dominate my entertainment landscape. I want competition in my living room because I have no need, no deep and undying thirst, for what only Microsoft or Sony can supply. I want experimentation and smart implementation and a bunch of technology producers eager to satiate not my hunger for the console to end all consoles, but my hunger for better storytelling.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/171761-consoles/
post #75 of 14765
On MS's lack of info post their conference. I thought it was funny from both sides of the argument...

post #76 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

I agree with this quote.

Like countless others, I’m not sold. In fact, I am not entirely convinced that I want one system to dominate my entertainment landscape. I want competition in my living room because I have no need, no deep and undying thirst, for what only Microsoft or Sony can supply. I want experimentation and smart implementation and a bunch of technology producers eager to satiate not my hunger for the console to end all consoles, but my hunger for better storytelling.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/171761-consoles/

It seems to me that MS is trying to provide that system...bundling the Kinect should allow producers the opportunity to experiment with new ways to tell the same story. Steven Spielberg is producing a series to expand on the Halo story...that certainly doesn't suck. Things like IllumiRoom and Fortaleza glasses show that MS isn't afraid of experimentation, even if neither of those techs see consumer release. I'm not sure why people want MS and Sony to release mirror consoles with basically the same capabilities. MS could have gone the safe route like Sony, but instead they are releasing a product to differentiate themselves from the pack, seemingly providing the competition that guy in the quote above is asking for...

Of course the kicker to all that is the "smart implementation", and the jury is still out on that aspect.
post #77 of 14765
post #78 of 14765
http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/27/we-arent-using-kinect-to-snoop-says-harrison/

The executive also noted that Microsoft won’t force developers to integrate Kinect into game, and hopes that future uses of the tech will be more appealing to gamers.

“It could be just as simple as a voice command, or it could be just as simple as knowing there’s more than one person in the room at the same time, and being able to automatically populate options and user interface – knowing there are two people playing or three people playing,” he said.

“Things that can be really subtle but really joyful to the player. It doesn’t have to be jumping up off the couch and running around your living room – it can be quite subtle.”
post #79 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/27/we-arent-using-kinect-to-snoop-says-harrison/

The executive also noted that Microsoft won’t force developers to integrate Kinect into game, and hopes that future uses of the tech will be more appealing to gamers.

“It could be just as simple as a voice command, or it could be just as simple as knowing there’s more than one person in the room at the same time, and being able to automatically populate options and user interface – knowing there are two people playing or three people playing,” he said.

“Things that can be really subtle but really joyful to the player. It doesn’t have to be jumping up off the couch and running around your living room – it can be quite subtle.”
I'v never been worried about them snooping. I listen to podcasts, and the playstation guys from IGN talked about how MS is innovators when it comes to the xbox, and that this is just the next step. This came from playstation guys too, so people can't call them fanboys. I really do believe that they are looking towards the future with a lot of these decisions that they are making.
post #80 of 14765
Thread Starter 
I think one of the first non-voice uses of kinect that we will se in the next gen gaming is in COD Ghosts. I have a feeling that the lean functionality will be able to be tied to the kinect. I could see myself really getting into it if I could sneak up to a corner and physically lean just a bit to see around or lean a lot to lean out and fire. This is one of those things that we are just running out of traditional controller options to do this and would work perfect with kinect. Hopefully they will also add some sort of optional controller mapping alos.
post #81 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I think one of the first non-voice uses of kinect that we will se in the next gen gaming is in COD Ghosts. I have a feeling that the lean functionality will be able to be tied to the kinect. I could see myself really getting into it if I could sneak up to a corner and physically lean just a bit to see around or lean a lot to lean out and fire. This is one of those things that we are just running out of traditional controller options to do this and would work perfect with kinect. Hopefully they will also add some sort of optional controller mapping alos.
That is actually a really great idea. I've hated the lean function of older games when I have had to hold a button down and lean out and then fire all at the same time. Let me lean my body and then I can just use normal controls to fire.
post #82 of 14765
When it comes to the tv stuff, I know that I won't use it at all unless they tie in DVR funcionality. We rarely watch anything live these days, so I want to be able to access my DVR. I am sure it won't be there day one, but I hope it is something they bring soon.
post #83 of 14765
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

That is actually a really great idea. I've hated the lean function of older games when I have had to hold a button down and lean out and then fire all at the same time. Let me lean my body and then I can just use normal controls to fire.

That's what I'm thinking. It was even worse in Rainbow Six (I think it was R6 anyway). They mapped it to the dpad I think and it just stayed leaning until you hit the button back the other way. This made it possible for people to run around leaning all the time. So stupid looking.
post #84 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

That's what I'm thinking. It was even worse in Rainbow Six (I think it was R6 anyway). They mapped it to the dpad I think and it just stayed leaning until you hit the button back the other way. This made it possible for people to run around leaning all the time. So stupid looking.
I think that was Ghost Recon. The R6 games, at least the ones on 360, had you lock on to cover with the trigger and then lean out with the stick.
post #85 of 14765
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-support-indie-developers-on-xbox-one-510129167


Microsoft Vows To Support Indie Developers on Xbox One


Mattrick: "We're going to have an independent creator program... There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that."

Full article after the link
post #86 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-support-indie-developers-on-xbox-one-510129167


Microsoft Vows To Support Indie Developers on Xbox One


Mattrick: "We're going to have an independent creator program... There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that."

Full article after the link
I hate that my work blocks any gaming sites.
post #87 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-support-indie-developers-on-xbox-one-510129167


Microsoft Vows To Support Indie Developers on Xbox One


Mattrick: "We're going to have an independent creator program... There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that."

Full article after the link

Only took them a week to pay lip service to indies. Actions speak louder than words, but a passing mention of support can't make up for the months of indies heaping scorn at the way Microsoft treats them vs. the praise they've had for the rest of the industry.
post #88 of 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Only took them a week to pay lip service to indies. Actions speak louder than words, but a passing mention of support can't make up for the months of indies heaping scorn at the way Microsoft treats them vs. the praise they've had for the rest of the industry.
Yeah, the lack of self publishing will run some developers off on the XB1. This is actually one of my sticking points on which next gen console I will be jumping in to. While a lot of people completely ignore the arcade/psn titles, I have found a ton that I have enjoyed this generation. I will want to see MS's actual plans for indies next gen.

Edit: I haven't followed this stuff as closely as other things, so I may be wrong here. My worry about Sony's "self-publish" plans are that a lot of crap can end up on the market, like you find on phones. If just anyone, with any sized team, can thrw together a game and rush it out without having to worry about certifying it, then it can become a mess. Is that not the way it will work on the PS4? Because if it is that way, I would take a couple of really good titles on XBL over sorting through thousands of horrible ones just because anyone can put anything on the PS4.
Edited by americangunner - 5/29/13 at 2:44pm
post #89 of 14765
Self publish doesn't mean that anyone can get on PSN. Just that anyone who does get the green light, doesn't need to go through a middleman to do so. Indies will supposedly have full control of their product, pricing, bundling etc - all Sony wants is their cut. It's basically the same thing steam does. They seem to have a team of guys who handle this, and they've been really proactive in getting the dev kits out and giving them some exposure. Microsoft wants indies to partner up with a publisher, they can't have full control of the process. You constantly hear horror stories of how difficult they are to work with.

The fact that Jonathan Blow, who got famous off of an XBLA exclusive (braid) was up on Sony's stage at Sony's reveal, but hasn't even been given access to a X1 dev kit really says it all. He didnt even seek out Sony, supposedly they approached him, offered him a dev kit and his new game is now a timed PS4 exclusive. While he's busy making the PS4 port, the only thing he knows about the X1 is the same rumors we've been hearing. It's kind of hard not to see that as anything but MS actually not giving a **** about indies, even the guys who made XBLA relevant. It's crazy.
post #90 of 14765
Thanks BD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...