or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 242

post #7231 of 14773
I was very happy to see this. I've been wanting to go fully digital on games for a while now. Currently, I rarely download games from Xbox Live because the prices are too high, in many instances, for a new game that is past it's prime. I can get the same thing for much less at a retailer, even for a new copy of the game. Pricing will be an interesting thing to see. What are the trade in values going to be? What will a used game's price be? I don't believe this will kill off the retail sector. I believe they will be integrated somehow. The developers will get a cut, as they should, as well as the party that is handling the transaction. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.
post #7232 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Wow, if true, this would be awesome, I would never purchase a disc based game again:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/microsoft-may-be-considering-a-digital-game-resale-marketplace

I can see this happening down the line. Maybe they hire some NASDAQ guys who show them how to make an electronic market. After 60 or 90 days, a game becomes eligible for trade in...you mark the minimum price you'd be willing to sell, say $25 for Forza 5. Like a limit order on the stock market. Market opens and your game gets purchased right away, by either MS or a third party dealer. Your former license goes back into the marketplace and gets sold for $48. MS gets a cut, the pub gets a cut, the dealer gets a cut. Everyone is happy.

The benefit of this (okay, overly complicated) system is that now the marketplace has a true supply/demand dynamic setting the price. Price can change everyday based on demand. New and 'used' games are sold for market price on a first in first out basis.

Okay, way too complicated, but I'm sure they can figure out something interesting.
post #7233 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

And if it was these voice commands are the reason (not sure if that is the case or not) for not releasing in all initially planned countries. Why cut down the number of countries severely and then still release a crippled Kinect in some countries? Why not release to all initially planned countries and just have the others gimped as well? Maybe it is related to yield issues on the hardware or some other factor(s).

Simple solution? Just release the console at $100 less and dump the Kinect in the garbage. The whole world wins.
post #7234 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post

I can see this happening down the line. Maybe they hire some NASDAQ guys who show them how to make an electronic market. After 60 or 90 days, a game becomes eligible for trade in...you mark the minimum price you'd be willing to sell, say $25 for Forza 5. Like a limit order on the stock market. Market opens and your game gets purchased right away, by either MS or a third party dealer. Your former license goes back into the marketplace and gets sold for $48. MS gets a cut, the pub gets a cut, the dealer gets a cut. Everyone is happy.

The benefit of this (okay, overly complicated) system is that now the marketplace has a true supply/demand dynamic setting the price. Price can change everyday based on demand. New and 'used' games are sold for market price on a first in first out basis.

Okay, way too complicated, but I'm sure they can figure out something interesting.

Why does MS and the pub need a cut? No other used market is that generous.
post #7235 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Why does MS and the pub need a cut? No other used market is that generous.
Because its still their game...the consumer is merely renting the license until some indeterminate time in the future when they can choose to shut the whole thing off.
post #7236 of 14773
Hollywood gets several bites at the apple through DVD, Pay cable, free cable, streaming, ota TV, etc. Same movie sold 12 times. I'm not opposed to the people who produce the wildly expensive items that I use for a hobby getting two bites. Reduce the risk for them and maybe we'll get some more diversity in the marketplace.
post #7237 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That "Get the Facts" page went up some time ago; it wouldn't surprise me if "the facts" have changed without it being updated.

If they're going to release in some countries without Kinect voice commands they need to make that perfectly clear sooner rather than later.

Albert Penello posted on neogaf that they will be providing more clarification later. However he did explain what he knew of he situation which seemed logical. Not really that big a deal for most of the people in this forum as we all seem to be from America.


Quote:
First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Turns out the answer to this question is… complicated. It’s been an education for me as I’ve been looking into it.

There is no way that I could do justice to it in a post, so the marketing team is working on a chart that gives clarity on what locales, languages, and voice features are available in each country. Trying to write it down would be confusing. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation, but just to give clarity:

In November
- We will launch in 13 geos
- 10 of those geos will support some voice features
- We support 8 languages

The 8 Languages at Launch are:
1) English – US
2) English – GB (WW)
3) French
4) Spanish – MX
5) Spanish – ES
6) Italian
7) German
8) Portuguese

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

BigDug13 – the FAQ is correct, for launch. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.



http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79001409&postcount=520
post #7238 of 14773
I have the Ear Force X41 headphones for the Xbox 360. Will these work on the Xbox One?

If this has been answered before, I apologize. Tried searching for it. I swear. smile.gif
post #7239 of 14773
post #7240 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Simple solution? Just release the console at $100 less and dump the Kinect in the garbage. The whole world wins.
No... the whole world gets Xbox 360 Mark 2 instead of the system Microsoft designed for release. But I guess if that's all you wanted from next gen...
post #7241 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Simple solution? Just release the console at $100 less and dump the Kinect in the garbage. The whole world wins.

Exactly right. The people who want it can simply buy it just like with the 360.
post #7242 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

No... the whole world gets Xbox 360 Mark 2 instead of the system Microsoft designed for release. But I guess if that's all you wanted from next gen...

is it really that hard to imagine that someone might have different interests then you? So if someone plays Titanfall, BF4 etc. with Kinect turned off then it isn't next gen.. why do you even care if someone doesn't like kinect. I am passionate about gun competitions and i don't knock people that don't shoot or shoot bullseye competitions (the competitions i do is run and gun). Just because i like to run around with a gun and someone else likes to shoot bullseye i don't care. And the reality is the less people that shoot USPSA (run and gun) the less competitions there are to shoot...
post #7243 of 14773
Fasten your seatbelts, it's about to get bumpy. smile.gif
post #7244 of 14773
Thread Starter 
@benjamin What was your point? :-)
post #7245 of 14773
Twitch is streaming the Pax conference and there are couple of Xbox One games currently being talked about. Up now is Dead Rising 3 with Forza 5 and Ryse coming up.
post #7246 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

@benjamin What was your point? :-)
post #7247 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Exactly right. The people who want it can simply buy it just like with the 360.

I have to disagree, by making it included you are encouraging game developers to utilize it more. With it optional it would be like the current generation where there are hardly any games that utilize what Kinect is capable of.

I'm looking forward to any news from PAX, is anyone going?
post #7248 of 14773
Let's debate it again because this time it will be different!

Tired argument is tired. Someone produce an animated gif of a cat or dog chasing its own tail.
post #7249 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Let's debate it again because this time it will be different!

Tired argument is tired. Someone produce an animated gif of a cat or dog chasing its own tail.

haha. To be fair the argument to include Kinect fully functional in every box is quite a bit different to include a severely gimped version in every box. I'm against packing the peripheral in the box either way but the argument is much stronger for those in countries getting the gimped version. Let them have the option to buy a Kinectless version and if they want to buy Kinect when it is ready they can.
post #7250 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Let's debate it again because this time it will be different!

Tired argument is tired. Someone produce an animated gif of a cat or dog chasing its own tail.

Nah, this is better:



edit

Or this lol:

post #7251 of 14773
I've been on holiday for the past month so I haven't really been checking this thread. I'm glad to see in the intervening 4 weeks we have finally moved past the "Kinect should/should not be included" discussion rolleyes.gif

I need more information on the latest voice command developments though. Is it a language limitation or a regional limitation? I'm assuming it is regional...there are folks all over the world that speak English. If it is a regional restriction, how is the region determined? Is it via the IP address, similar to the way Netflix does? Or is it determined within the hardware based on the region you purchased the XB1 from? These details matter...at least to me they do. I preordered with Amazon USA, but I live abroad, so I'm a little curious to see how this plays out.
post #7252 of 14773
No, it's the same argument 😉
post #7253 of 14773
Major Nelson said the NHL '14 demo is now available.
post #7254 of 14773
LOL at the Office Space/Horse pic.
post #7255 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

No... the whole world gets Xbox 360 Mark 2 instead of the system Microsoft designed for release. But I guess if that's all you wanted from next gen...

The Xbox "designed for release" died long, long ago; lost in the deluge of changes made already. I don't personally know of a single person that's interested in the Kinect. Not one. If MS had given us a next-gen console focused on games without it, things would have definitely turned out much differently. No complaints, save for DRM issue. No mass exodus from Xbox to Sony. No problem with foreigners. Nearly every negative post or statement ever made about the One is a result of the Kinect, either directly or indirectly:

Always on - Just so you don't have to push a button? Really?
No headset - MS wanted your friends to hear all your kids screaming, gamers decided otherwise, MS reversed and gave us a $4 headset
Privacy invasion - No camera, no problem
Cost - Make the console without the Kinect and MS could underprice Sony easily (if the Kinect does actually cost as much as the console itself)
Convenience of location - Those with true HTs are screwed without an extension cable

Honestly, the Kinect is the worst thing to happen in the history of gaming, imo. Maybe someone high at MS had a wife that loved yoga and threatened divorce if it didn't continue. Or somebody had a kid that was addicted to Kinectimals. Or maybe...who knows. It's just odd to me that MS put so much money, faith, and risk into some gimmicky device that forcing it down the throats of 78% of the population that has zero interest in it is the only "answer" they could think of. If MS wants to gamble with new things or ideas, more power to them, but consumers shouldn't have to pay for their failures one way or another.
post #7256 of 14773
One reason why Kinect is around...

Nintendo
post #7257 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Nearly every negative post or statement ever made about the One is a result of the Kinect, either directly or indirectly:
Only because this is like a room full of chefs who think they can critique a meal they've barely caught a sniff of let alone tasted.
post #7258 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

is it really that hard to imagine that someone might have different interests then you? So if someone plays Titanfall, BF4 etc. with Kinect turned off then it isn't next gen.. why do you even care if someone doesn't like kinect. I am passionate about gun competitions and i don't knock people that don't shoot or shoot bullseye competitions (the competitions i do is run and gun). Just because i like to run around with a gun and someone else likes to shoot bullseye i don't care. And the reality is the less people that shoot USPSA (run and gun) the less competitions there are to shoot...
It's not about what you want. It's about the product that was designed for release, as it was designed to function by a company that's trying to sell it to people. Design by committee is a fairly recent notion, largely spurred on by the internet and the immediacy of feedback. It's not a good thing. Including it doesn't hurt you other than the perceived notion that you're paying extra for something you don't want to use, even if the system still provides you the same legacy last-gen use you seem to want. Should people primarily interested in Kinect games be complaining that they have to pay for the controller? Of course not... it's part of the platform as it was designed to work, just like Kinect is this time.

I don't care if you don't like something... That's your right. I do think it's asinine to not like something you haven't even tried yet. If you had never run a threegun match, would you tell the people who organized it that they should change it to a bullseye competition because that's what you're used to? Or would you just attend another event instead?
post #7259 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Only because this is like a room full of chefs who think they can critique a meal they've barely caught a sniff of let alone tasted.

I've tasted Kinect plenty.
post #7260 of 14773
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

If MS wants to gamble with new things or ideas, more power to them, but consumers shouldn't have to pay for their failures one way or another.
And when I read this I can't help but envision a scenario where you believe Microsoft or their agents are somehow forcing your wallet open and extracting $500. Oh, the humanity!

As a consumer you have a right to not consume. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...