or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 248

post #7411 of 14792
Release Date is Friday, November 22nd.

http://majornelson.com/2013/09/04/xbox-one-to-launch-on-november-22-2013-in-13-markets/
post #7412 of 14792
Its about time these release dates are on a Friday. Tuesday's just blow for big releases.
post #7413 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-update-console-full-production-improved-cpu-performance/

Now up to 1.75ghz for the CPU from 1.6, confirmed by Albert Penello on Twitter. Good to see them finding their groove on what the system can handle now that it's in production.

This is exactly the same scenario and time frame that happened with the Xbox 360 in 2005 with production starting 69 days before 22 Nov 05 launch.
post #7414 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

Release Date is Friday, November 22nd.

http://majornelson.com/2013/09/04/xbox-one-to-launch-on-november-22-2013-in-13-markets/

Thats whats up. Time off from supervisor confirmed.
post #7415 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Even if someone has 10 preordered with intent of selling 9 of them, why should that be any different if 10 different people had preordered them? On launch day/week its still 10 people using the system regardless of where they got it from. They were all paid $499 so MS doesnt care.

agreed.
post #7416 of 14792
Now that MS lost the generation due to going second....
post #7417 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Its about time these release dates are on a Friday. Tuesday's just blow for big releases.

Firiday?!?? That sucks.

I'd much rather have it released on a Tuesday. With shipping the weekend can screw things up with a Friday. Which I guess is what will happen with this release for me. Because there is no way I would wait in line at the store to pick one up.

Friday?? That really sucks.
post #7418 of 14792
Told you it was gonna be after the 19th. smile.gif
post #7419 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Now that MS lost the generation due to going second....

One week will make no difference. The 360 released one year before the PS3. That is way different than this gen.
post #7420 of 14792
I see the XBOne will be released before the PS4 in Europe. Doesn't the PS4 have a November 29th release date in Europe?
post #7421 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Firiday?!?? That sucks.

I'd much rather have it released on a Tuesday. With shipping the weekend can screw things up with a Friday. Which I guess is what will happen with this release for me. Because there is no way I would wait in line at the store to pick one up.

Friday?? That really sucks.


Good point, maybe I will leave a note for my UPS/Fedex driver - "Please make sure I answer door to receive package. Free beer and steak will be awarded. Thank you"


I dont wait in lines anymore but I do have a preorder in at Best Buy so maybe Ill swing by in the morning to pick it up. Hopefully most people picked their systems up at midnight.
post #7422 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I see the XBOne will be released before the PS4 in Europe. Doesn't the PS4 have a November 29th release date in Europe?

Yes it does.
post #7423 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

The difference he is talking about is that if the supply is as large as stated then those 9 units will either be canceled or returned to the retailer within 30 days . The intention may have been to sell them for a quick flip but that only works if supply is low.

People will buy the release day units because generally gamers are the first purchasers and there's enough people wanting Ones to make sure the unit will be a success. You might have odd cases of this happening but doubt it will be a trend. In the end it doesn't matter because both companies will sell out at launch.
post #7424 of 14792
79 days... I can finally and officially start counting! smile.gif

79... 79.... 79....

This isn't helping.
post #7425 of 14792
About the rumor that the X1 may have dual GPU and the foam/rubber cover on the back of the console in that one video....

I just realized another possibility with the hidden specs is that it could be covering up other information not related to game performance. For instance, maybe the console supports SACD playback? Built in Slacker Radio? etc.

Just felt like throwing that out there.
post #7426 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Firiday?!?? That sucks.

I'd much rather have it released on a Tuesday. With shipping the weekend can screw things up with a Friday. Which I guess is what will happen with this release for me. Because there is no way I would wait in line at the store to pick one up.

Friday?? That really sucks.

said noone ever
post #7427 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

About the rumor that the X1 may have dual GPU and the foam/rubber cover on the back of the console in that one video....

I just realized another possibility with the hidden specs is that it could be covering up other information not related to game performance. For instance, maybe the console supports SACD playback? Built in Slacker Radio? etc.

Just felt like throwing that out there.
No way in hell they have a dGPU. The extra die size is likely due to the other custom processors they're using for audio/video processing that relieve the load on the CPU.

And there's no way that you'll see SACD support, because they would have to license that from Sony directly. That's why as much as I'm hyped for the Xbox One, it isn't replacing my Oppo BDP-93 any time soon.
post #7428 of 14792
but they are supporting Bluray which is a Sony license as well...
post #7429 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

About the rumor that the X1 may have dual GPU and the foam/rubber cover on the back of the console in that one video....

I just realized another possibility with the hidden specs is that it could be covering up other information not related to game performance. For instance, maybe the console supports SACD playback? Built in Slacker Radio? etc.

Just felt like throwing that out there.

You may be on to something. Okay, I took a look at 3 different versions of my Xbox 360s. No information on the system related to specs, not a peep. So the top of the Xbox One on the right hand side has an entire vent for the fan exhaust. The left half has presumably plastic covering the internals of the XBO. So low and behold Microsoft put a box in the upper left of the left side of the system that contains system specs? What sense does that make. However, if you think about Kimeran's point, it could be advertising of specs, such as "amd" "slacker" "dGPU" "Netflix"??? Not throwing this out there for argument, but more possibilities. I am thinking that the upper left hand corner won't have something like this:

•Custom Jaguar x86-64 cores at 1.75 GHZ, two clusters of 4 cores
•68 GB/sec peak bandwidth to off-chip 8GB DDR3 memory.
•204 GB/s peak bandwidth to 32MB of on-die storage.
•47MB of cache
•8G DDR3 and 8G FLASH
•DX11.1+ GPU
•264GB/s total memory bandwidth
•500 GB HARD DRIVE

but something more consume electronics focus such as symbols:

bluray
Netflix
Skype
Direct 11.1
???
???

A word about the dGPU. Once you get past the fanboy comments on both sides, this last minute announcement of a dGPU seems unlikely at first. However, a few of the points made almost give some credibility to it. However, maybe it is legit, but not as jaw dropping as is alleged??? Maybe instead of Titan power, it is a more reserved dGPU tacked on. Tech people are saying if true it can't be but so powerful due to heat, even with that fan sitting on top blowing straight up through a massive vent. However, something that makes this neck and neck with PS4 in power, maybe passing it slightly.

Who knows. Sept 29th here we come eek.gif

PS: Maybe that sticker is covering up a super secret upgrade slot similar to N64 :P Okay, now I am getting way out on a limb...
post #7430 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

but they are supporting Bluray which is a Sony license as well...
Negative. Blu-ray is licensed from the Blu-ray Disc Association, not Sony. Sony is a founding member, as is Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung, but SACD would be a direct license from Sony since it was their proprietary format.
post #7431 of 14792
My best two guesses are either an NFC pad, or a qi charging pad where you can just place your controller on it charge it wirelessly.

Could of course just be a bunch of logos, who knows?

How old is that video anyway?
post #7432 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Negative. Blu-ray is licensed from the Blu-ray Disc Association, not Sony. Sony is a founding member, as is Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung, but SACD would be a direct license from Sony since it was their proprietary format.

Ah! My mistake.
post #7433 of 14792
I don't buy the rumor that the die is secretly bigger than they say anyway. Those pictures didn't compare the dies themselves, just the metal on top of the chip.



The die is the shiny square in the middle, not the metal casing on top. It could just be a little wider than normal to spread the heat better.
post #7434 of 14792
man it is going to suck to wait to play BF4. i am not buying BF4 on the current gen console, just next gen.. waiting sucks..
post #7435 of 14792
Looks like that 8GB of flash is just there to support the apps and OS. Should help make them nice and snappy at least.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-cpu-speed-increased-in-production-hardware
Quote:
But perhaps the biggest surprise from the glut of information revealed at Hot Chips is the inclusion of 8GB of eMMC NAND memory, included in addition to the 500GB hard drive. This is the same sort of storage found in smartphones, Wii U and the 12GB PlayStation 3. Further details on how the memory is used were not forthcoming from Microsoft, but development sources tell us that they have no access to the NAND, all but confirming that the additional storage is used for the operating system and perhaps the apps that can run side-by-side with gameplay.
post #7436 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

man it is going to suck to wait to play BF4. i am not buying BF4 on the current gen console, just next gen.. waiting sucks..
Yeah... fortunately, I have such a backlog of 360 games that I'm good until 11/22. But it's going to be hard hanging on while the current-gen versions of BF4 and CoD: Ghost are already out.
post #7437 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Even if someone has 10 preordered with intent of selling 9 of them, why should that be any different if 10 different people had preordered them? On launch day/week its still 10 people using the system regardless of where they got it from. They were all paid $499 so MS doesnt care.

Yeah, they are going to care in January when their sales numbers on those systems go into negative territory because of an avalanche of returned units.

Wii U anybody ?



Still, I will admit that both the PS4 and XB1 will do much better than the Wii U, but at the same time, these record pre-order numbers are an illusion and I really think the head honchos at MS and Sony are going to be seriously dissapointed by how many Ebayers and Craigslisters are going to walk into Target and Walmart in January, with their tales between their legs and a receipt in hand. "Yeah, I'd like to return this..."
post #7438 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, they are going to care in January when their sales numbers on those systems go into negative territory because of an avalanche of returned units.

Wii U anybody ?



Still, I will admit that both the PS4 and XB1 will do much better than the Wii U, but at the same time, these record pre-order numbers are an illusion and I really think the head honchos at MS and Sony are going to be seriously dissapointed by how many Ebayers and Craigslisters are going to walk into Target and Walmart in January, with their tales between their legs and a receipt in hand. "Yeah, I'd like to return this..."
Even then, they'll just be resold immediately. I doubt the demand will have decreased enough by then to matter that much.
post #7439 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

The difference he is talking about is that if the supply is as large as stated then those 9 units will either be canceled or returned to the retailer within 30 days . The intention may have been to sell them for a quick flip but that only works if supply is low.

I'd think it be pretty hard to return 9 units. Retail has been cracking down on return shucksters for years and has dramatically ramped up just even this year. Walmart has just started better tracking of returns to weed out people doing things like this. Might work for a couple units, but I don't see anyone who bought a significant number through retail getting away with this in large numbers. Instead they'll get stuck and might even have to sell under cost on ebay to move them, or wait until supplies dip at retail.

In the end I think the better logistics pioneered by Apple will win out. I don't think we'll see much in the way of shortages this time around, but I also think at these price points and with this generation going on so long we'll see record sales for a launch during the first 3 months. the real test comes after Christmas, both in software and hardware sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Now that MS lost the generation due to going second....

No way. +/- 6 days is nothing. Bigger story is they'll possibly be able to get shelves stocked and second round pre-orders filled in time for back Friday hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

No way in hell they have a dGPU. The extra die size is likely due to the other custom processors they're using for audio/video processing that relieve the load on the CPU.

And there's no way that you'll see SACD support, because they would have to license that from Sony directly. That's why as much as I'm hyped for the Xbox One, it isn't replacing my Oppo BDP-93 any time soon.

Remember that 5 billion transistor count? 2 billion over Sony is just the on die eDRAM. Their die was always much bigger, because a lot of real estate was needed for the memory architecture they went with.

Sony isn't even supporting SACD in the PS4 (First time a launch unit isn't) Unfortunately SACD just got a little more dead. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Not that I'm mad about any sort of speed increase, but I'd much rather have seen a further GPU bump. I'm sure they're pushing the GPU as far as they can already, and I doubt this is actually preventing them from going further, but the CPU hardly has anything to do in these next gen consoles as it is. Pretty much everything is better done on the GPU or is already being offloaded to one of the bajillion coprocessors they've got in there. It won't hurt, but it won't have any real significance in the long run either.

GPGPU still isn't going to be used much if at all outside of 1st party for several years. Heck, most developers aren't even multithreading efficiently on PC's yet, relying on one primary core. I honestly think well see the latter utilized first since it's about time they got around to it and both consoles have 8 relatively fast cores that can be utilized. It make sense too, because the benefits will also be apparent on PC's right away (where GPGPU still isn't widely adopted yet in videocards in most peoples systems).

The bigger issue is MS gets their trump card now to combat the bad PR recently, but now they also no longer can hold this card until a later date "giving developers a bump in performance". It's arguable that it's just splitting hairs, but the release games this close to release probably don't need that bump . Keeping the original clocks might also have forced some developers to do things a bit more efficiently now, that would have made the bump later show results sooner. then there's the fact that Sony, just as easily with confidence in their position now, could be waiting to announce a similar bump 2 years down the road (or just holding it for a "rainy day").

I also do take slight issue with these "bumps" since all we've had to go by before these comments were rumored specs. For all we know, these could have been the targets all along while the rumors weren't correct and we just have to take their word for it that these are increases from spec. But thats the game we play with rumors, and it's good for MS to take hold and turn them to their advantage.
Edited by TyrantII - 9/4/13 at 9:40am
post #7440 of 14792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Even then, they'll just be resold immediately. I doubt the demand will have decreased enough by then to matter that much.

Resold to who ? Yeah, like the 350,000 Wii U's that were returned in January. Those were immediately resold as well.. Right ?

Oh, I guess not.

Now, the argument can be that the Wii U was too expensive and didn't have any killer apps, but the same thing can be said about these two new systems. $400 and $500 isn't exactly a drop in the bucket, and neither system has a killer app coming in 2013.



Look, again, I know it isn't going to be as bad as the Wii U, because let's face it, although the XB1 and PS4 both lack a killer app, their launch lineups are worlds better than the Wii U, so they won't suffer as much. Having said that, you don't create demand out of thin air. You're thinking there is tons of demand for these systems, but my argument is that half of that demand is an illusion. There certainly is a contingent of hardcore Xbox and Playstation supporters that will buy the system for their own use (just as there was in 2005/2006), but those people will account for only half of this perceived amazing demand.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...