or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 289

post #8641 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Post at Xbox Wire on free Azure...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-one-cloud

quick excerpts (see link for full text):

Dude--I posted that 4 days ago, when it first appeared on Xbox Wire, here rolleyes.gif.
post #8642 of 14772
sorry for missing it. spoiler tags make things hard to see so sometimes I miss them...

apparently these are the demo stations for Xbox One. Not fancy but definitely better TVs than the 360 stations...

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/20/these-xbox-one-demo-stations-are-quite-simple-still-very-green/





post #8643 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

sorry for missing it. spoiler tags make things hard to see so sometimes I miss them...

So you don't click the labelled "spoilers" in posts? I wrap all long quotes of articles, videos and pictures in [spoiler] tags because it makes the thread much, much easier to read for me if I don't have to keep scrolling past page after page of stuff that I've either already seen or am completely uninterested in.

I've placed you on my blocked list. Don't worry; unlike you, I will click on and read your posts. It's just an automatic set of [spoiler] tags around them smile.gif.
post #8644 of 14772
Anyone know if the Amazon prime streaming app will be available on the XB1 on launch day?

I have done a few google searches and can't seem to find out.
post #8645 of 14772
So from those pictures it appears that Kinect is definitely "wired". That's a damn shame. My equipment is pretty far from the screen...and would require ripping into multiple walls to route the wire.

Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else?
post #8646 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus the beard View Post

So from those pictures it appears that Kinect is definitely "wired". That's a damn shame. My equipment is pretty far from the screen...and would require ripping into multiple walls to route the wire.

Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else?

Remember, you don't have to have the kinect plugged in to play the machine. That was announced quite some time ago. If your worry is that, then you're good to go; however, if you do want to use the Kinect functionality then you are in trouble. I am wondering if they have a wireless solution in the works?

Outtie
post #8647 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus the beard View Post

So from those pictures it appears that Kinect is definitely "wired". That's a damn shame. My equipment is pretty far from the screen...and would require ripping into multiple walls to route the wire.

Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else?

We already knew it was a wired connection. They already mentioned that the data stream between the XBOne and Kinect 2 can be as much as 2Gbps.
post #8648 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus the beard View Post

So from those pictures it appears that Kinect is definitely "wired". That's a damn shame. My equipment is pretty far from the screen...and would require ripping into multiple walls to route the wire.

Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else?

nope. I was never aware of a "wireless" Kinect. Though it would have been fun to place it in the bathroom if was required like they were initially saying. Let them "checkup" on me in there after a Chili with beans night. biggrin.gif
post #8649 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

Remember, you don't have to have the kinect plugged in to play the machine. That was announced quite some time ago. If your worry is that, then you're good to go; however, if you do want to use the Kinect functionality then you are in trouble. I am wondering if they have a wireless solution in the works?

Outtie

MS is still working on correcting that 180 in their marketing message.

proxy.jpg?t=HBgtaHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvb3JpZ2luYWwvM3Q0Sm4ucG5nFMAHFIIIABYAEgA&s=j2Gr30noqAvgT-pgAjHJTs2KUkiHMgoA72t8DiLDY1U
post #8650 of 14772
I don't see why anyone would think regardless of any policy that Kinect was wireless or would ever be wireless.
post #8651 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus the beard View Post

So from those pictures it appears that Kinect is definitely "wired". That's a damn shame. My equipment is pretty far from the screen...and would require ripping into multiple walls to route the wire.

Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else?

I know of three people with home theaters in your same predicament and all of them have jumped ship to the PS4. Definitely a huge oversight by M$, but then again I guess they figure the amount of people with home theater problems like this are few and far between.
post #8652 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I know of three people with home theaters in your same predicament and all of them have jumped ship to the PS4. Definitely a huge oversight by M$, but then again I guess they figure the amount of people with home theater problems like this are few and far between.

I thought I saw somewhere that they were going to come out with a long cable option for the Kinect?

The other option though is to run a really long HDMI from the X1 to the Pre/Pro or AVR
post #8653 of 14772
I don't know why the "wire" will be an issue for the new Kinect. The original Kinect had the same situation and third parties filled the void.
post #8654 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I thought I saw somewhere that they were going to come out with a long cable option for the Kinect?

The other option though is to run a really long HDMI from the X1 to the Pre/Pro or AVR

Two problems with this. First, people that have spent upwards of $20k on their home theater are not going to want the XBone sitting out in the middle of their floor so they can use the kinect sensor. Secondly, people that have dedicated theater rooms may not want to go through the hassle of running a line through the walls all the way from the AV rack up to the front soundstage and alternatively are not going to want a wire running along the floor from the back of the room to the front.

Again, like I said there are far more people this is not going to effect than it is but an oversight by M$ nonetheless.
post #8655 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I don't know why the "wire" will be an issue for the new Kinect. The original Kinect had the same situation and third parties filled the void.

really, you do know not everyone that had a 360 bought a kinect, right? so of course it is going to be different, if they were selling kinect separate it wouldn't be a issue at all
post #8656 of 14772
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post


Then don't use Kinect.

I don't understand why that would necessitate a switch to a PS4. You don't need Kinect hooked up to use the Xbox One. PS4 doesn't have that functionality so it's not like you'd get it there. It's like complaining a Honda Accord doesn't have off road capability so you're going to get a Toyota Camry.


Logic is for jerks!
post #8657 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I know of three people with home theaters in your same predicament and all of them have jumped ship to the PS4. Definitely a huge oversight by M$, but then again I guess they figure the amount of people with home theater problems like this are few and far between.


Then don't use Kinect.

I don't understand why that would necessitate a switch to a PS4. You don't need Kinect hooked up to use the Xbox One. PS4 doesn't have that functionality so it's not like you'd get it there. It's like complaining a Honda Accord doesn't have off road capability so you're going to get a Toyota Camry.
post #8658 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

really, you do know not everyone that had a 360 bought a kinect, right? so of course it is going to be different, if they were selling kinect separate it wouldn't be a issue at all

It is exactly the same situation as with the 360 Kinect and the needs of the home theater enthusiasts. The 360 Kinect also only had 9 feet of length but with third party options, you could do 50+ feet. People in this forum were freaking out about how they could make the 360 Kinect work with their projector setups. It all worked out once the device was released.
post #8659 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Then don't use Kinect.

I don't understand why that would necessitate a switch to a PS4. You don't need Kinect hooked up to use the Xbox One. PS4 doesn't have that functionality so it's not like you'd get it there. It's like complaining a Honda Accord doesn't have off road capability so you're going to get a Toyota Camry.

Well for me it doesn't matter because I plan on getting both. As far as the people I talked to, it is simple...they did not like the direction M$ took from the get go and at this point they just down right don't trust them. I too am in the camp that I feel after a certain amount of time that DRM crap will be turned back on...again though this does not bother me since my internet is pretty reliable and I am always connected.

Besides all that though, not using the Kinect is a pretty bad suggestion considering that is pretty much the reason the XBone is $100 more than the PS4. At least with the PS4 you have the option to save yourself that money that you could be using for an extra controller or a game.
post #8660 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Well for me it doesn't matter because I plan on getting both. As far as the people I talked to, it is simple...they did not like the direction M$ took from the get go and at this point they just down right don't trust them. I too am in the camp that I feel after a certain amount of time that DRM crap will be turned back on...again though this does not bother me since my internet is pretty reliable and I am always connected.

Besides all that though, not using the Kinect is a pretty bad suggestion considering that is pretty much the reason the XBone is $100 more than the PS4. At least with the PS4 you have the option to save yourself that money that you could be using for an extra controller or a game.
What kills me is that people think Sony will never go this route.... I honestly believe if either MS or Sony goes DRM then the other will follow. I still think the winner will be the one that can match Steam (prices and features) but on the console format. For instance Steam is now doing a beta program where you can share your library with a family member (sounds familiar to what MS was wanting to do). I personally love this idea and like the fact I can browse my Brothers library (all 89 of them) and install one of his games on my computer and play whenever I want. If he decides to play that one I am, I then have 6 minutes to save my game and quit the game. If this option is available with the Steam machines which I suspect it will be (hence the beta) then this may be the last round of consoles I buy this next generation.
post #8661 of 14772
I agree with the steam comment, Sony and MS need to kick it into gear. Its nice that theres free games to be had but I would rather see heavily discounted games. Also, XBox One would have had the family sharing plan and it would have been better than steams current deal (on paper) but the masses convinced them tha t it was a bad idea...
post #8662 of 14772
What Microsoft was trying to do was essentially what Steam is doing... except keeping disc purchases and trade-ins as a viable option. Now we have this bizarre hybrid because people are so afraid of anything but the status quo. I see people beat that "consumer rights" drum and think, "So you're mad that they're taking away a right you never legally had and that GameStop has taken brutal advantage of for years at the expense of the industry? Well... okay... you come up with a better way to handle it, genius." Personally, I loved what Microsoft was trying to do with their original vision. I hope some of it returns on the digital side. Sadly, to preserve bandwidth, I'm having to buy games on disc, install them, license them to my system, then trade the disc in at a loss... whereas before, all I would have had to do was un-authorize the disc when I wanted to trade the game in, and I could have been disc free until that time. Fortunately, the two other people in my house getting Xbox One will benefit from using my discs to do their installs, so they get to be disc free. Post-launch, I'll probably go all-digital.

Also, people keep expecting a digital ecosystem to immediately have Steam-like discounts... and that's unreasonable. Steam was around for a LONG time before they started doing that. You have to establish the ecosystem first, then leverage it. I think Microsoft's original intention of giving publishers direct control over pricing with a quick turnaround would have ultimately resulted in that, though not as quickly as people would have liked. That's why we're seeing so many sales now on 360.
post #8663 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

I agree with the steam comment, Sony and MS need to kick it into gear. Its nice that theres free games to be had but I would rather see heavily discounted games. Also, XBox One would have had the family sharing plan and it would have been better than steams current deal (on paper) but the masses convinced them tha t it was a bad idea...

Yeah, I remember how that was the part that everyone hated. tongue.gif

I've been using it on steam, it's awesome.
post #8664 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Well for me it doesn't matter because I plan on getting both. As far as the people I talked to, it is simple...they did not like the direction M$ took from the get go and at this point they just down right don't trust them. I too am in the camp that I feel after a certain amount of time that DRM crap will be turned back on...again though this does not bother me since my internet is pretty reliable and I am always connected.

Besides all that though, not using the Kinect is a pretty bad suggestion considering that is pretty much the reason the XBone is $100 more than the PS4. At least with the PS4 you have the option to save yourself that money that you could be using for an extra controller or a game.

So you're now saying the three people you know with home theaters are switching to PS4 because of price or (now abandoned) DRM and not because they can't connect the Kinect box easily in their room like you originally implied? I'm surprised that people with dedicated theaters costing $20k really care about the extra $100 for a game system. Maybe it was just an excuse to troll the xbox one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

What kills me is that people think Sony will never go this route.... I honestly believe if either MS or Sony goes DRM then the other will follow.....

Exactly. It's like people have forgotten rootkits and Cinavia.
post #8665 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Again, like I said there are far more people this is not going to effect than it is but an oversight by M$ nonetheless.

If .1% of all Xbox 360s were installed in HTs where they were far from the screen I'd be shocked. You can't make everybody happy all of the time and they might as well leave little niche-market accessories like this up to 3rd parties.
post #8666 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

What kills me is that people think Sony will never go this route.... I honestly believe if either MS or Sony goes DRM then the other will follow.

After the whole E3 debacle, you really believe this? I'm not saying that Sony will never, ever try it, but it's not happening this upcoming generation (even if MS reimplements their original plan for the XB1).
post #8667 of 14772
Dimensions of the Xbox One and Kinect 2 are given in this OXM UK article:
Quote:
Console (LxWxH):

13.1" x 10.8" x 3.1"

33.3cm x 27.4cm x 7.9cm

Kinect 2 (LxWxH):

9.8" x 2.6" x 2.63"

24.9cm x 6.6cm x 6.7cm

Kinect cable approx. 9.5 feet (2.9m) long

Edit: Measured with a tape where the precision is 1/8" so all values are an approximation.

For reference, the Xbox 360 Slim measures roughly 27cm by 26cm by 7.8cm. Size matters?
post #8668 of 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

After the whole E3 debacle, you really believe this? I'm not saying that Sony will never, ever try it, but it's not happening this upcoming generation (even if MS reimplements their original plan for the XB1).
In that current form of DRM that MS did it was not good. If MS would have adopted Steams approach then it would not have been nowhere close to as bad and probably would have succeeded. I do recall Sony filing a patent on the prevention of second hand games. So neither is innocent of DRM in my opinion. MS just made their attentions clear when they announced.
post #8669 of 14772
http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-vs-ps4-size-comparison-kinect-2-0-dimensions-revealed

here are the measurements by examiner.com (width x height x length):

Xbox One: 10.7" x 3.1" x 13.1"
Xbоx 360: 12.15" x 3.27" x 10.15"
Original Xbоx: 12.6" x 4" x 10.2"

Kinect 2.0 measures in at 9.8" x 2.6" x 2.63" (Length x Width x Height).

PS4: 10.8” x 2”x 12”
Launch PS3: 12.75” x 3.86” x 10.8”
Slim PS3: 11.42” x 2.56” x 11.42”
Super Slim PS3: 11.42” x 2.36” x 9.06”

They differ slightly from OXM (different guys measuring between sites, but at least within examiner itself, they have the same guy measuring all of them so you can compare within the site).
post #8670 of 14772
at least we're almost there! 30 days and counting!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Xbox One thread...