or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Raleigh, NC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raleigh, NC - HDTV - Page 485

post #14521 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

You have all your locals from the clearqam? I have the normal RR and get all clearqam above channel 83, but nothing lower. So no PBS, WTVD, or some others, but get NBC 17, WRAL, and WRAZ. That'd be interesting to know that difference. Glad the TV setup is working out for you.

I've got PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, MyRDU, News Channel 14, WGN, Ion, Various subchannels (Cool TV, Live Well, etc). I have some I haven't mapped cause I don't have interest (religious channel, BET)..

There are some others but I really don't watch anything past the networks and pbs to be honest.

I have been having break ups / low signal issues this morning, but I don't know if that's my network giving issues this morning or what.
post #14522 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

You have all your locals from the clearqam? I have the normal RR and get all clearqam above channel 83, but nothing lower. So no PBS, WTVD, or some others, but get NBC 17, WRAL, and WRAZ. That'd be interesting to know that difference. Glad the TV setup is working out for you.

WTVD is ch. 87-7 for me on QAM, but I am not in the official Raleigh DMA. Weird that I would have it and you wouldn't!
post #14523 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

WTVD is ch. 87-7 for me on QAM, but I am not in the official Raleigh DMA. Weird that I would have it and you wouldn't!

99.1 here I believe in Cary
post #14524 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

I've got PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, MyRDU, News Channel 14, WGN, Ion, Various subchannels (Cool TV, Live Well, etc). I have some I haven't mapped cause I don't have interest (religious channel, BET)..

There are some others but I really don't watch anything past the networks and pbs to be honest.

I have been having break ups / low signal issues this morning, but I don't know if that's my network giving issues this morning or what.

What's the deal with TWC and clear QAM? Is it less reliable than TWC's digital cable package? If the signals are coming via cable rather than over the air, why should there be any pixelation or any break up at all?
post #14525 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

What's the deal with TWC and clear QAM? Is it less reliable than TWC's digital cable package? If the signals are coming via cable rather than over the air, why should there be any pixelation or any break up at all?

Well anything coming from cable is still compressed, where over the air isn't, but my issues are/were most likely my internal network.

The TWC Installer that was out to do my internet on Friday, when we got talking about getting an antenna, he said something like "yeah, I was surprised at how good the networks looked over the air compared to our stuff". I had to explain to him that TWC stuff was compressed, and OTA isn't..
post #14526 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post


Well anything coming from cable is still compressed, where over the air isn't, but my issues are/were most likely my internal network.

The TWC Installer that was out to do my internet on Friday, when we got talking about getting an antenna, he said something like "yeah, I was surprised at how good the networks looked over the air compared to our stuff". I had to explain to him that TWC stuff was compressed, and OTA isn't..

OTA is compressed... But cable and satellite are just usually compressed more.
post #14527 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

Well anything coming from cable is still compressed, where over the air isn't, but my issues are/were most likely my internal network.

The TWC Installer that was out to do my internet on Friday, when we got talking about getting an antenna, he said something like "yeah, I was surprised at how good the networks looked over the air compared to our stuff". I had to explain to him that TWC stuff was compressed, and OTA isn't..

At least here in Raleigh, It would appear that TWC is not doing additional compression of locals. I have two TiVo's with one recording OTA and the other recording cable. Filesizes for broadcast shows shows are nearly identical between the two. For example.. Blue Bloods showed 5.74 GB via OTA and 5.79 for cable. I expect those differences to be explainable by the difference between a TiVo S3 and a Premier reporting methods.
post #14528 of 15283
As far as compression, whenever I compare the bit rates of the Raleigh OTA and TWC QAM feeds simultaneously using my HDHomerun, they look identical. So identical bit rates, but for quality, video looks indistinguishable to me, but the audio is different (OTA is louder and superior), so I don't know how that works.
At my house I get both Raleigh and Greensboro OTA stations, and when I compare bit rates of those for the same major network shows, invariably the Greensboro stations are higher bit rates. Generally they're close, say 13 mbps for Raleigh and 14-15 for Greensboro, but for ABC I see WTVD at 6-7 mbps and WXLV at 15 mbps. Those two have a visual quality difference. All so we can have the Live Well subchannel I guess.
If anyone knows the logistics of how TWC and OTA have similar bit rates but different perceptible audio quality, I'd love to learn how it works.
post #14529 of 15283
Well shows what I know lol
post #14530 of 15283
I like the Live Well HD subchannel on WTVD, and the main ABC channel still looks fine to me. They could get rid of the standard definition Live Well channel, though. Why have two subchannels showing the same programming?
post #14531 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah12 View Post

...So identical bit rates, but for quality, video looks indistinguishable to me, but the audio is different (OTA is louder and superior), so I don't know how that works.
...

One possibility is that with OTA, your playback system is using the 2-channel stereo audio track while with QAM, your playback system is using the 5.1-channel surround sound audio track.

Some of the locals channels include both (at least they have done so in QAM in the past) and the stereo track typically sounds louder.
post #14532 of 15283
Curious what you all are paying for 50/5 (or even 30/5) without any other cable services. I'm considering ditching cable but have run into issues with antenna placement. I'd like to use 1 or 2 antennas to feed the whole house, but that's proving to be difficult to get the channels off the tower in Clayton and still get PBS (I'm in Garner). I would put one in my attic but it has radiant barrier in it (basically filled with Tin Foil) so I can't imagine that would be great (any suggestions on placement would be great). It would be great if these channels would still be available via TWC QAM after I cancel service.
post #14533 of 15283
for a privately owned home. there are generally few things that could prevent you from sticking an antenna outside, where they belong.
See the OTARD of the FCC

BTW - I have the same foil sheathing issue - my antennas are outside above the roof where they work great.
post #14534 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilso2 View Post

Curious what you all are paying for 50/5 (or even 30/5) without any other cable services. I'm considering ditching cable but have run into issues with antenna placement. I'd like to use 1 or 2 antennas to feed the whole house, but that's proving to be difficult to get the channels off the tower in Clayton and still get PBS (I'm in Garner). I would put one in my attic but it has radiant barrier in it (basically filled with Tin Foil) so I can't imagine that would be great (any suggestions on placement would be great). It would be great if these channels would still be available via TWC QAM after I cancel service.

50/5 is ~100 plus taxes 30/5 is around ~80-85 I believe.
post #14535 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwilso2 View Post

Curious what you all are paying for 50/5 (or even 30/5) without any other cable services. I'm considering ditching cable but have run into issues with antenna placement. I'd like to use 1 or 2 antennas to feed the whole house, but that's proving to be difficult to get the channels off the tower in Clayton and still get PBS (I'm in Garner). I would put one in my attic but it has radiant barrier in it (basically filled with Tin Foil) so I can't imagine that would be great (any suggestions on placement would be great). It would be great if these channels would still be available via TWC QAM after I cancel service.

$77 for 30/5 service. I did not have QAM when I last checked. I have an antenna, and do all my TV watching over it or from Netflix/Amazon or from Blu-Rays/DVDs.
post #14536 of 15283
I'm in Fayetteville and use TWC HD (for about 2 years now with no problem). For the last week or so, I am hearing a buzzing in my surround speakers (like a cracked tweeter) on WRAL. It's not all the time, just when there is significant surround activity or music on shows like CSI or NCIS. It is not present on any other channels or on other audio or video sources.
Anyone else noticing this or have any idea what might be causing it? It's VERY annoying!
post #14537 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawhn View Post

I'm in Fayetteville and use TWC HD (for about 2 years now with no problem). For the last week or so, I am hearing a buzzing in my surround speakers (like a cracked tweeter) on WRAL. It's not all the time, just when there is significant surround activity or music on shows like CSI or NCIS. It is not present on any other channels or on other audio or video sources.
Anyone else noticing this or have any idea what might be causing it? It's VERY annoying!

I have not heard any buzzing on WRAL via OTA. However, when we had TWC, I experienced a similar buzzing on TWC on ESPN, ESPN2, and one of the SD-only sports channels in the 500s in the surrounds on occasion.
post #14538 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

99.1 here I believe in Cary

WTVD & Livewell just vanished on me (as well as news channel 14, all were on 99.x)
post #14539 of 15283
Welcome to the world of ClearQAM and switched digital video without a tuning adapter. TWC moves channels from time to time, so another channel scan may find where the channels are today. It's a reason I opted for antenna, because those channels don't move. The first time Bachelor didn't tape for the wife because I didn't realize WTVD had moved I realized I had to have a better solution for me, but if you don't mind another rescan from time to time, you should be fine.
post #14540 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

WTVD & Livewell just vanished on me (as well as news channel 14, all were on 99.x)

The channel assignment switching wasn't horrible, but enough for me to get an antenna setup that covers what I needed and if necessary still have clear QAM there if need it (say for the TV in my garage).
post #14541 of 15283
Oh, I knew what I was getting into. I've rescanned, and haven't found them, however. I was hoping maybe someone here had .

I'm hesitant on getting an antenna because I'm in a an end-unit town home and it's the far end from the Garner antenna farm. Unless I could get something I could easily stick up on a bookshelf on the second floor and it picks up everything (which I doubt is going to be possible), I really don't have much of an option right now.
post #14542 of 15283
There are some indoor antennas that do a pretty good job within 30 miles of the transmitters, especially at night. The problem with indoor antennas, though, is that they have trouble during bad weather.
post #14543 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

Oh, I knew what I was getting into. I've rescanned, and haven't found them, however. I was hoping maybe someone here had .

I'm hesitant on getting an antenna because I'm in a an end-unit town home and it's the far end from the Garner antenna farm. Unless I could get something I could easily stick up on a bookshelf on the second floor and it picks up everything (which I doubt is going to be possible), I really don't have much of an option right now.

You check the mapping on silcondust website? I lost WTVD in Morrisville a year or so ago, it may have gone below the channel trap or close to it. Anyways, I see they do have an amplified version of the Leaf antenna (which I want to give a try). I've helped a few buddies with getting the regular leaf setup (Cary, Fuquay, and Raleigh) and it worked surprisingly well.
post #14544 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitdawg View Post

You check the mapping on silcondust website? I lost WTVD in Morrisville a year or so ago, it may have gone below the channel trap or close to it. Anyways, I see they do have an amplified version of the Leaf antenna (which I want to give a try). I've helped a few buddies with getting the regular leaf setup (Cary, Fuquay, and Raleigh) and it worked surprisingly well.


Silicondust site still shows the 99.x stations for it. I tried a regular leaf and couldn't get anything. I'm in no rush really, I don't need ABC immediately. Hopefully it'll reappear, otherwise I'll look into an antenna.
post #14545 of 15283
Well I am far from any sort of video or audiophile, just try to get things that work well for my situation. In this case, I needed something cool for upstairs which is primarily for some video gaming action and watching movies, mostly for the kids (and me, or course). All while keeping it kid-friendly (i.e. my 8 year old needs to work the equip, keeping the little ones out of jacking with every button and light).

Before->

The upstairs bonus room was pre-wired for 5.1 and had a nice cut-out (10 feet) along the main wall. I had just a table to hold the TV and xbox with zero surround setup. Room was painted and I ended up installing a shelving system (some shelves to hold A/V components), a bunch of pull out baskets (for dinosaurs, hot wheels, and star wars figures) moved the TV to the wall, and got a new sectional.

I got the Onkyno HT-S4500 7.1 AVR, new xbox (serves as 7MC extender), Panny DMP-BDT210 BR player. I also got a LED backlighting kit, a power strip with a master control outlet, speaker mounts, and some wire hides (10 feet of small stuff for speaker wires, some larger 1" hides for HDMI, power, etc.). Kept my old but still kicking 42" plasma and the kid favorite Wii.

I have 3 tuners hooked up to a Leaf antenna mounted in my attic that feed my HTPC downstairs to deliver content to the TV upstairs via the Xbox360.

Since I had the 5.1 prewire (with high wall locations for both the front and rear speakers) I figured I would take the chance to setup a Dolby IIz speaker configuration (8 channel with front left and right height speakers). I installed the rear and front height channels the same way I did downstairs, using the wall plate receptacle to mount the bracket to. I then hooked up the LED backlight kit, installed the cable hides behind my shelving unit and hooked it all up. I used the power strip with a master controller which served a few purposes - I used the TV as the master controller, so nothing else has any power in standby mode, so the LED backlight is only on when the TV is on and also prevents the little ones from turning anything on (since they can't reach the TV power switch).

After->

I'm really happy with how it came out. I still need to do my speaker and TV color calibration, but man, video games sound awesome as well as the BluRays. Those front height speaker do produce a wall of sound. This should work for now until I pull the trigger on either a bigger display or projector. Anyways, just wanted to share, here's the link to some more pics!
post #14546 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

Silicondust site still shows the 99.x stations for it. I tried a regular leaf and couldn't get anything. I'm in no rush really, I don't need ABC immediately. Hopefully it'll reappear, otherwise I'll look into an antenna.

Well that stinks. I remember when WTVD disappeared, it was gone for a long time...I haven't plugged a TV in to the cable feed in a while so maybe it finally got resolved here, but the same thing happened down at my parents in Fuquay-Varina and eventually led to an antenna install.
post #14547 of 15283
Nice set up! I saw the first pic and missed the "before" and was thinking yikes! lol. Then I scrolled down
post #14548 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

Nice set up! I saw the first pic and missed the "before" and was thinking yikes! lol. Then I scrolled down

Ha! Now that was funny.
post #14549 of 15283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post

Silicondust site still shows the 99.x stations for it. I tried a regular leaf and couldn't get anything. I'm in no rush really, I don't need ABC immediately. Hopefully it'll reappear, otherwise I'll look into an antenna.

I believe they moved one of the locals way down into the 100 Mhz region. I will check tonight and post.
post #14550 of 15283
Over the weekend, I installed a CableCard in an older Sony which has been downgraded to the bedroom. It had a CableCard years ago before SDV, and I was able to get a dozen or so HD channels on top of the clear QAMs. I was disappointed that the only HD channels that the card currently supports are USA, TNT, ESPN, FoxNews, HBO, SHO. Anybody else getting more?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Raleigh, NC - HDTV