or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Kinect Thread for Xbox One
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Kinect Thread for Xbox One - Page 3

post #61 of 354
Windows compatible KInect 2.0 for developers - $399

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/xbox-one-kinect-for-windows-developers-priced-at-399

It does include windows drivers, the SDK and the retail version once available. Obviously they intend to promote Kinect 2.0 as a games for Windows accessory as well.

I'm still betting the 'retail' version of Kinect 2.0 will be $199. Since it's a pack in I'm also expecting quantities to be limited, unless they solely market the standalone version as a Windows accessory.

Which begs the question, will it still have a proprietary connector for the One or will it be USB 3.0? If the connector is proprietary for the One, will there be a USB adapter for PC or will they market two different versions (which wouldn't seem wise from a cost or supply chain perspective)?
Edited by slyderulz - 7/14/13 at 2:18pm
post #62 of 354
It uses USB 3.0 but the port is custom so I assume it's going to be like with the first Kinect which means it might use a power supply like the first one so that it can be used on PCs as well.
post #63 of 354


I was browsing Microsoft's blog for Kinect... and it had a cool new thing (improved background removal) that looks to be a huge improvement over the current Kinect. This is more for the people that played the Yoostar 2 game for Kinect which was borderline awful. For those that don't know, Yoostar 2 was movie karaoke. You would get inserted into a movie or TV scene and act out the part. They digitally removed the original character and you were "green-screened" into the scene.

But it was terrible quality on the Kinect because the game didn't support mics (it forced you to use the awful Kinect 1.0 mics) and thus had terrible audio quality. The Kinect's cam was only 640X480 which made you look awful, especially if the clip was in HD while you were in 480P. The real-time greenscreening feature of the original Kinect was also pretty bad. It looked kind of like this:


disclaimer: pic is not me! grabbed off Internet biggrin.gif

It especially affected me because I have black hair so my head looked like the unfinished Death Star in Return of the Jedi.
post #64 of 354
Fantasia got the 2013 E3 Game Critics Awards win!

Best Social/Casual Game
Fantasia: Music Evolved
(Harmonix/Disney Interactive for Xbox 360, Xbox One)
post #65 of 354

here's a small article that shows some details on Kinect Sports Rivals. Love that it still has online play where few games had online play for Kinect for Xbox 360. It appears to have something similar to Forza Motorsport 5 where the game studies your playing abilities and makes an AI version of you. So when you play online and no one's around, you can run against the AI version of some real person!

http://www.trueachievements.com/n13598/kinect-sports-rivals-more-details-emerge.htm

Fans of the Kinect Sports franchise were given a treat at the start of E3 when it was announced that the latest title in the series, Kinect Sports Rivals would be heading to the Xbox One and would be available on launch day.

Firstly, you'll be able to get into the game like never before. Using the new Kinect sensor, you will be scanned into the game and stylized into a champion version of yourself. Your virtual sport hero will then learn to act like you and compete like you against your friends and rivals, even when you're not around. Naturally this works both ways as you will be able to compete against other real-world virtual champions from across the globe. You will become a member of one of three virtual global teams, each of which has a slightly different sporting philosophy and sporting style, all ready to challenge each other in the various sports in the title.

To keep things a little fair, the enhanced match-making will do its best to pit you against a rival of similar skill level, or maybe just slightly higher level just to push you that little bit harder. There's no taking it easy from now on. Microsoft are also keen to point out that the title will take advantage of the Xbox One Living Games technology which means that the game learns how you and your friends compete, and creates an ever-evolving network of rivals in the cloud so there is always someone “real” to compete with and not just an artificial AI character. Now you never have to wait for someone else to get online. This is truly you versus the world.

Naturally the game takes advantage of the increased power and capabilities of the new Kinect sensor, which will be able to detect not only limbs, but fingers and hands too, creating much more nuanced and responsive gameplay. In this case, precision will be rewarded and even small movements will make big differences. If all this sounds a little bit too challenging then don't panic just yet. The game will offer a variety of ways to play including full body, partial body and seated experiences.
post #66 of 354
I pre-ordered this one along with COD Ghosts.
post #67 of 354
yeah, I'm starting out with COD Ghosts as well due to the preorder bonus.

I'm debating on Rivals as a launch order because there's still not enough detail yet. And it doesn't include paddle tennis which was my favorite KS1 sport. If it did have paddle tennis, it would've been a day one order for me. It does have tennis but I don't think tennis translates well to video games (I'm actually USTA rated 4.0).

right now, my day 1's are COD and FM5. Rivals could be there once they show us more.

It's going to be weird to have 2 Kinects there. Kinect for 360 will go above the TV and Kinect 2.0 will go at the base of the TV. 360 will go into the HDMI of the One.
post #68 of 354
surprised that no exercise game was announced as a launch title for Xbox One... this is a launch day title for the One (will come out in October for 360):

but if you want to get your Zumba on, now it's in 1080P... title is Zumba Fitness: World Party which goes to different places around the world with different styles of dancing. here's Gamespot's video on it from E3:

and here are some 1080P screenshots:







I hope they use Gina. She was a hottie...

post #69 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post


here's a small article that shows some details on Kinect Sports Rivals. Love that it still has online play where few games had online play for Kinect for Xbox 360. It appears to have something similar to Forza Motorsport 5 where the game studies your playing abilities and makes an AI version of you. So when you play online and no one's around, you can run against the AI version of some real person!

http://www.trueachievements.com/n13598/kinect-sports-rivals-more-details-emerge.htm

Fans of the Kinect Sports franchise were given a treat at the start of E3 when it was announced that the latest title in the series, Kinect Sports Rivals would be heading to the Xbox One and would be available on launch day.

Firstly, you'll be able to get into the game like never before. Using the new Kinect sensor, you will be scanned into the game and stylized into a champion version of yourself. Your virtual sport hero will then learn to act like you and compete like you against your friends and rivals, even when you're not around. Naturally this works both ways as you will be able to compete against other real-world virtual champions from across the globe. You will become a member of one of three virtual global teams, each of which has a slightly different sporting philosophy and sporting style, all ready to challenge each other in the various sports in the title.

To keep things a little fair, the enhanced match-making will do its best to pit you against a rival of similar skill level, or maybe just slightly higher level just to push you that little bit harder. There's no taking it easy from now on. Microsoft are also keen to point out that the title will take advantage of the Xbox One Living Games technology which means that the game learns how you and your friends compete, and creates an ever-evolving network of rivals in the cloud so there is always someone “real” to compete with and not just an artificial AI character. Now you never have to wait for someone else to get online. This is truly you versus the world.

Naturally the game takes advantage of the increased power and capabilities of the new Kinect sensor, which will be able to detect not only limbs, but fingers and hands too, creating much more nuanced and responsive gameplay. In this case, precision will be rewarded and even small movements will make big differences. If all this sounds a little bit too challenging then don't panic just yet. The game will offer a variety of ways to play including full body, partial body and seated experiences.

This will be my first Kinect 2 title. I'll be getting the digital download within a day or so of getting the XBOne.
post #70 of 354
Has there been any mention of an EA sports exercise title for the XBOne and Kinect 2.0 like they had for the 360 and Kinect 1.0?
post #71 of 354
I want a new Ubi Soft YourShape Fitness game. To me, that game was the best game for Kinect at launch, even though it was technically an exercise game. I thought it made the best use of the Kinect. I wouldn't mind seeing a next-gen version with even more accuracy.
post #72 of 354
yeah, to me one of the things the Kinect struggled with was floor exercises and that had to do with the narrow field of view.

I liked the punching in Your Shape, but it didn't have floor exercises (Your Shape 2012 did) and it didn't have online multiplayer.

Personally, I like UFC Personal trainer. The problem I had with UFC was sometimes, for no reason, I would just completely disappear and it usually happened when I was facing away from the screen (like when I was twisting my body so my face was in the other direction. I would love to see the improvements with Kinect 2.0.
post #73 of 354
I'm looking forward to some good little kids games that don't require the controller in any way, shape or form.
post #74 of 354
I have a quickie question for anyone who knows the answer. And forgive me if it has already been answered in this thread. I don't feel like slogging thru the whole thing.

Will Kinect 2.0 be backward compatible with the XBox 360...for people who want to swap out the Kinect 1.0?
post #75 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I have a quickie question for anyone who knows the answer. And forgive me if it has already been answered in this thread. I don't feel like slogging thru the whole thing.

Will Kinect 2.0 be backward compatible with the XBox 360...for people who want to swap out the Kinect 1.0?

Nothing has been announce but I doubt it when they are not selling the Kinect individually.
post #76 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I have a quickie question for anyone who knows the answer. And forgive me if it has already been answered in this thread. I don't feel like slogging thru the whole thing.

Will Kinect 2.0 be backward compatible with the XBox 360...for people who want to swap out the Kinect 1.0?

No. Kinect 2.0 uses USB 3.0 which the 360 doesn't have.
post #77 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

No. Kinect 2.0 uses USB 3.0 which the 360 doesn't have.

Hmmm. Surprising MS didn't make that running change when they redid the XBox 360 to look like XB1. They are probably leaving a lot of money on the table . Because many XBox 360 people are not going to be year one adopters. Or even years 2-3 for that matter. But modding the new XB360 with USB 3.0 to mate with it seems like low hanging fruit they are leaving on the table to me. Especially if they plan to keep supporting the XB360 like they claim. And if they plan to launch a low cost DD only XB1 in the future as has been rumored. Because that is the way I would prefer to go now. Meaning just run my XBox 360 through a DD Only XB1 and use 1 Kinect for both. That way I would just DD new XB1 games for new AAA titles I really want like Halo 5-6...and continue to exhaust the big XB360 library plus play low budget Indie/Arcade games on the 360.
Edited by barrelbelly - 7/11/13 at 8:44pm
post #78 of 354
For all we know the 360 may not be capable of the processing necessary to handle Kinect 2. I'm sure that Kinect 1 will still be out there. MS has their hands full just getting Xbox One all wrapped up and out the door.
post #79 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Hmmm. Surprising MS didn't make that running change when they redid the XBox 360 to look like XB1. They are probably leaving a lot of money on the table . Because many XBox 360 people are not going to be year one adopters. Or even years 2-3 for that matter. But modding the new XB360 with USB 3.0 to mate with it seems like low hanging fruit they are leaving on the table to me.

well, retrofiting 360 with USB 3.0 is way out of the question. that' would be entirely new MB chipset to work with. there's no way that'd be worth it on any level.

and yeah, it would've been nice. like I still don't understand why they couldn't patch old Xbox Live Vision cam games to use the Kinect, forcing people to have 2 cameras connected. I never owned the original Vision cam (got a 360 afterwards) but my friends talk about it and they're occasionally connecting it for things like UNO. They talked about how Burnout would show you the moment something crazy happened and that was cool.
post #80 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

No. Kinect 2.0 uses USB 3.0 which the 360 doesn't have.
Plus, Xbox One is dedicating one of the CPU cores to processing the 2gbps of data that Kinect 2 receives. Highly doubtful that the 360 even has the power to do anything with it.
post #81 of 354
Spid found a neat tidbit on Zoo Tycoon but it kind of got buried in the Xbox One thread so here's more detail here...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/07/games-inside-look-at-zoo-tycoon

One of the exciting new games we announced at E3 was the return of the wildly popular “Zoo Tycoon” series. For the first time on consoles, this newest chapter of the famous franchise will be available on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 later this fall.

“Zoo Tycoon” is being developed by Frontier Developments – the studio behind “Kinectimals” and “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures.” We recently had the opportunity to have an in-depth chat with Jorg Neumann, Studio Manager with Microsoft Studios, about the latest developments.

Jorg Neumann: “Zoo Tycoon” is a celebrated franchise with a tremendous and passionate fan base that deeply cares about this premier animal tycoon experience. We knew from the outset that it was critically important to retain the magic of “Zoo Tycoon.” We feel a great sense of responsibility to the fans and are incorporating the excellent feedback and suggestions we’ve received from them over the years. By bringing the franchise to the Xbox consoles, we are able to add awesome new gameplay experiences and groundbreaking social dimensions that will make this the best “Zoo Tycoon” experience ever.

We’ve heard numerous times that players want a “Tycoon” experience that is designed from the ground up for the consoles. At the top of everyone’s list is the desire to make the creation of highly personalized zoos more intuitive and easier, while maintaining a high degree of creative freedom and self-expression.

The second most sought after feature by fans is the desire for a greater connection to the animals they care for. I believe players will be very excited to see how we’ve integrated Kinect into the experience to deliver a whole new dimension of interaction in “Zoo Tycoon.” There is something special, almost magical when you have animals that recognize you, your voice, and that react to your movements and instructions.

What does this mean for gameplay? You can upload your zoo to the cloud, share it with your friends, and have up to 4 players simultaneously contribute to the creation and maintenance of a zoo at any one time. Collaboration is a key part of this new “Zoo Tycoon” and we believe it will open up the experience on a truly global scale.

Xbox Live really is the key to establishing what will be the first worldwide community of “Zoo Tycoons.” For the first time, players from around the globe can share their zoos, communicate with other Tycoons directly via Skype, loan and trade animals with each other and engage in large scale community-wide conservation efforts. Players will be able to come together and work on achieving a goal related to the care and support of these amazing animals. Not only will they receive special awards for their participation, but we intend to also support related real-world conservation efforts, which I’ll talk about later.

The animals are the core part of our “Zoo Tycoon” franchise. So we are making sure we create the most beautifully rendered animals, animated to capture the essence of what you’d experience when at a real zoo. The player can get up close to our stunning animals by switching to the animal camera that focuses in on the selected animal to give the player the truly staggering amount of detail going into these models which makes them look as realistic as possible.

They can also get close to the animals through the enrichment interactions that utilizes Kinect on Xbox One to create a level of interaction between players and their favorite animals which wasn’t possible before.

Combining natural gestures to interact directly with your animals via charming enrichment interactions and intuitive voice commands to access menus and infographics in the most intuitive way possible.

Another new feature we are super excited about is the animal conservation and preservation component within the game. There will be a great deal of focus on captive breeding and saving/rehabilitating and releasing animals back into the wild once they're ready. Once released into the wild, the player can keep tabs on each animal to see how they're progressing and adapting to their new home.

That desire to support the conservation and care of these animals is at the core of our community challenges. We love the idea of bringing gamers together and putting that collective passion towards the education about and conservation of the very animals that make this type of game possible.

For example, we are delivering in-game updates based on real world events that raise player awareness regarding the animals they love. These real world events, made possible by our strong partnerships with great companies like the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, are turned into in-game challenges. For example, if certain challenges are successfully completed by the “Zoo Tycoon” community of players, Microsoft has committed to donating resources to help assist the preservation of these animals. We love the idea of dedicated people making games for passionate players who in turn have a positive real world impact on the animals that make this franchise possible.

As with all games in the “Zoo Tycoon” franchise, satisfying the needs of the animals is still at the core of the experience, while trying to balance that against the needs of your guests. Fans of the “Zoo Tycoon” franchise will appreciate the improvements while still feeling a strong sense of familiarity. We’ve also improved on the original Campaign mode by adding in an adaptive challenge system which will help the players expand and maintain their zoo while throwing in a few curve balls to keep the player on their toes.

We also have more of a focus on getting down into the park and running around amongst the guests, although the player who wants to stick to Tycoon mode and fly around up in the sky can still do so. While running around the zoo the player will be able to see their guest's needs as they'll play specific animations to show how they're feeling. The player will also have to do other little jobs such as cleaning up litter to keep the park clean, cleaning out the animal exhibits and delivering food stock to concessions to stop them from running out. We have also added in a buggy to allow the player to travel around their park much quicker than running around, it handles really well and is a fun addition to the game.





post #82 of 354
I was listening to a podcast today (Bobby Blackwolf Show 061613), and he was talking about everything he experienced at e3. He said that he was only able to play one Xbox One game that used Kinect, the Fantasia game. He made a comment that went something like this, "If everybody thinks this new Kinect is not going to have all the weird issues the first one had, I've got bad news for you. The new Kinect seems just as broken as the last one, considering I was playing in a perfect environment and it was still having trouble picking up my motions".


This really caught me off guard, because this dude is pretty hardcore Xbox fan. He normally tries to spin anything even remotely negative towards Xbox, so to hear him say that really gave me pause.


I was really hoping that this new Kinect would be light years better than the last one, but the comments he made have me scratching my head. Of course, I do realize that just a single impression from a single e3 demo shouldn't cause me to think the new Kinect will be just as bogus as the last one, but it has given me some trepidation in regards to this new Kinect.
post #83 of 354
It's not the Kinect that's responding to his movement, it's the game. This comment seems completely dismiss-able.
post #84 of 354
I'm not sure what his comment was but I'm not a listener of his podcasts. So I don't know. I have seen that Fantasia has been kind of polarizing. most of the negative impressions came from people who don't understand why people would want to do all this arm waving stuff. then again, some of those people also didn't get why people liked Dance Central. It's still a year off so still plenty of time to listen to feedback and adjust. Still made a good enough impression to win the 2013 E3 Game Critics Awards: Best of Social/Casual Game.

here's a video interview with a couple of the producers/directors for the Fantasia game. in the background, you'll see the new Kinect running. those pulsating red lights! that's certainly new as I have never seen the lights pulse like that (if you watch a Zumba game running on the Xbox One, there are no pulsing lights or if you've watched any of the Kinect demos).

now, for those that haven't noticed, all the major people behind the Dance Central series are not involved in Fantasia (a few are but most aren't).... in fact, Fantasia is being worked on by mostly Rock Band developers. which to me suggests that the Dance Central team is working on Dance Central for the next generation. smile.gif

they're also trying to do some authentic conductor motions for the game to the music. so for average people like us, all their arm gestures seem random but they're not. for example, a motion might be signaling a 2, 3, 4, down beat, 2, 3, 4.
post #85 of 354
here's some gameplay:
post #86 of 354
this one is long enough to go deeper in how you can adjust the song on-the-fly. you'll see him add strings midsong. then later add percussive elements. then later add guitar. you still can play the original version straight-up or you can start mixing the song to how you like it.
post #87 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I was listening to a podcast today (Bobby Blackwolf Show 061613), and he was talking about everything he experienced at e3. He said that he was only able to play one Xbox One game that used Kinect, the Fantasia game. He made a comment that went something like this, "If everybody thinks this new Kinect is not going to have all the weird issues the first one had, I've got bad news for you. The new Kinect seems just as broken as the last one, considering I was playing in a perfect environment and it was still having trouble picking up my motions".


This really caught me off guard, because this dude is pretty hardcore Xbox fan. He normally tries to spin anything even remotely negative towards Xbox, so to hear him say that really gave me pause.


I was really hoping that this new Kinect would be light years better than the last one, but the comments he made have me scratching my head. Of course, I do realize that just a single impression from a single e3 demo shouldn't cause me to think the new Kinect will be just as bogus as the last one, but it has given me some trepidation in regards to this new Kinect.

Well judging by those videos just posted it still has a large amount of latency.

That's the problem, if they are going to make it mandatory they need to make it far more reliable than it is on the 360.
post #88 of 354
That pulsing is just that particular camera they're using trying to translate the infra-red to something visible. Happens with some digital cameras depending on the CCD. Kinda' cool to see it though!
post #89 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Well judging by those videos just posted it still has a large amount of latency.

I'm not sure what part of the videos you're referring to. Fantasia is still largely a mimicking game like Dance Central. But it adds some sections where you can adjust the song and do things like stretch the notes of the song (like during the cube portion). If you're referring to the tracing elements, that's the person trying to trace the line and dot, not the game following the person. So if you're referring to that, that's not latency by the game. That's latency by the person. smile.gif You can't, for example, scribble your name as the game is not following you. It's expecting you to follow it.
post #90 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

now, for those that haven't noticed, all the major people behind the Dance Central series are not involved in Fantasia (a few are but most aren't).... in fact, Fantasia is being worked on by mostly Rock Band developers.

You've seen a list of people working on the game or something with which to compare your list of people who worked on RB?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The Official Kinect Thread for Xbox One