or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 62

post #1831 of 5643
^ Unfortunately that is a generic list that doesn't change much over the course of multiple releases.
post #1832 of 5643
I was wondering about that. It looks more like a marketing wish list than an actual firmware update description.
post #1833 of 5643
FROM 1112 I CAN'T PLAY BLURAY
POWER DVD 13 SAY I DON'T HAVE HDCP
firmware update 1112 Do something?
post #1834 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRookie View Post

Sorry to drop in but I am about to buy the 64" F8500 but concerned about the vertical viewing angle. What are your thoughts if I am sitting 8.5ft away with the top of my head aligned with the bottom of the screen?
"Some" people lay back when watching TV to some degree, so naturally you will be looking up.
post #1835 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6311 View Post

FROM 1112 I CAN'T PLAY BLURAY
POWER DVD 13 SAY I DON'T HAVE HDCP
firmware update 1112 Do something?
lol Its gonna be OK. Just take a deep breath and dont close your eyes. Help is on the way.
post #1836 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6311 View Post

FROM 1112 I CAN'T PLAY BLURAY
POWER DVD 13 SAY I DON'T HAVE HDCP
firmware update 1112 Do something?

1112 as of yesterday and I can play BluRay.

TMT6.

Are you using any Slysoft?
post #1837 of 5643
After 1110.2 eu firmware i have moving horizontal lines in the middle of my 64" panel and only in specific colours. They dont appear when cinema smooth or motion judder are enabled. Anyone else have this? Its more visible when you drop cell light or contrast...
post #1838 of 5643
Just wondering if someone has noticed this anomoly with their 8500 tv. This just surfaced today after opening up the general service/mainenance announcement that popped up on my tv this morning. I wanted to see further what this service announcement was all about, so when I viewed the details, my tv openend up the browser app, and I read the information. I quit the browser by hitting the return/exit key on my remote, and was brought back to my normal tv broadcast viewing. Well, about 5 minutes later, the Samsung screen saver activated (Samsung logo moving across a black screen). This has never happened to me before. I pressed the return/exit key again, and was brought back to my normal tv viewing, but 5 min. later, the screen saver activated again. I have auto protection time set to 5 min in the screen burn protection submenu, but don't understand why it is activating now since reading the general maintenance announcement. I turned off the auto protection time to keep the tv from activating its screen saver. Has anyone experienced this yet?
post #1839 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Just wondering if someone has noticed this anomoly with their 8500 tv. This just surfaced today after opening up the general service/mainenance announcement that popped up on my tv this morning. I wanted to see further what this service announcement was all about, so when I viewed the details, my tv openend up the browser app, and I read the information. I quit the browser by hitting the return/exit key on my remote, and was brought back to my normal tv broadcast viewing. Well, about 5 minutes later, the Samsung screen saver activated (Samsung logo moving across a black screen). This has never happened to me before. I pressed the return/exit key again, and was brought back to my normal tv viewing, but 5 min. later, the screen saver activated again. I have auto protection time set to 5 min in the screen burn protection submenu, but don't understand why it is activating now since reading the general maintenance announcement. I turned off the auto protection time to keep the tv from activating its screen saver. Has anyone experienced this yet?

try going into smart features and remove viewing history. it worked for me.
post #1840 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Just wondering if someone has noticed this anomoly with their 8500 tv. This just surfaced today after opening up the general service/mainenance announcement that popped up on my tv this morning. I wanted to see further what this service announcement was all about, so when I viewed the details, my tv openend up the browser app, and I read the information. I quit the browser by hitting the return/exit key on my remote, and was brought back to my normal tv broadcast viewing. Well, about 5 minutes later, the Samsung screen saver activated (Samsung logo moving across a black screen). This has never happened to me before. I pressed the return/exit key again, and was brought back to my normal tv viewing, but 5 min. later, the screen saver activated again. I have auto protection time set to 5 min in the screen burn protection submenu, but don't understand why it is activating now since reading the general maintenance announcement. I turned off the auto protection time to keep the tv from activating its screen saver. Has anyone experienced this yet?

Yes, same exact thing happened to me today!!
post #1841 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 View Post

try going into smart features and remove viewing history. it worked for me.
Where is this viewing history and what is it a viewing history of? Is it of things like Netflix rentals etc? I haven't used any of the Smart TV features on this set yet. I basically just use it as a TV to either watch cable TV or Blu Rays connected to the Oppo.

That scheduled maintenance popup thing is annoying though.


Max
post #1842 of 5643
Whats the best settings for viewing football and sports in general? Which profile?
post #1843 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Where is this viewing history and what is it a viewing history of? Is it of things like Netflix rentals etc? I haven't used any of the Smart TV features on this set yet. I basically just use it as a TV to either watch cable TV or Blu Rays connected to the Oppo.

That scheduled maintenance popup thing is annoying though.


Max

There is two options you can clear history in the recommendation bar or recent items from photos videos and music in the smart hub.
post #1844 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Where is this viewing history and what is it a viewing history of? Is it of things like Netflix rentals etc? I haven't used any of the Smart TV features on this set yet. I basically just use it as a TV to either watch cable TV or Blu Rays connected to the Oppo.

That scheduled maintenance popup thing is annoying though.


Max

There is two options you can clear history in the recommendation bar or recent items from photos videos and music in the smart hub.
I guess never having used either of those means there's no history on my set?


Max
post #1845 of 5643
Thread Starter 
^ unplugging the sets power cord for a few minutes. sometimes...works wonders!
post #1846 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Just wondering if someone has noticed this anomoly with their 8500 tv. This just surfaced today after opening up the general service/mainenance announcement that popped up on my tv this morning. I wanted to see further what this service announcement was all about, so when I viewed the details, my tv openend up the browser app, and I read the information. I quit the browser by hitting the return/exit key on my remote, and was brought back to my normal tv broadcast viewing. Well, about 5 minutes later, the Samsung screen saver activated (Samsung logo moving across a black screen). This has never happened to me before. I pressed the return/exit key again, and was brought back to my normal tv viewing, but 5 min. later, the screen saver activated again. I have auto protection time set to 5 min in the screen burn protection submenu, but don't understand why it is activating now since reading the general maintenance announcement. I turned off the auto protection time to keep the tv from activating its screen saver. Has anyone experienced this yet?

Yup, happened to me last night. How do we stop the scrolling message in the first place? I understood it the first time and don't need to see it every time I turn the TV on.
post #1847 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Whats the best settings for viewing football and sports in general? Which profile?

it's my opinion that there is only one 'best settings' and that's for the display and the room it's in, what it's showing isn't as relevant (unless it's gaming in which case input lag comes into consideration). what's good for movies, should be good for everything else. check out the recommending settings thread and go from there.
post #1848 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Whats the best settings for viewing football and sports in general? Which profile?

I like to watch sports, especially football, brighter than I watch movies or even regular TV shows. Out of the box I found standard the best for sports, but a little tweaking on Dynamic is really nice, out of the box Dynamic is a bit overblown on everything, just knock Cell light and contrast down until you like it.

Note that you will no longer be "reference" but those controls, like tone controls on a stereo serve personal preferance every bit as much they can deliver "technically correct". I keep only one mode as close to reference as possible, Movie, the rest are set to preference, the kids own Cal-Day, the wife owns Relax, I own Movie and Cal-Night, everyone chimed in on Dynamic smile.gif

Personally I see reference settings just as the baseline used to then adjust to preference, very anti-purist but I did not buy the TV to make the producer of the shows I watch happy, I bought it to make me and the family happy... Getting it as close to reference is important I think as it gives you a known good starting point and also speaks to the quality of the set, after that it really serves no purpose in my opinion. I would not want to watch sports off the same tune as a Blu-Ray movie.
post #1849 of 5643
OK guys, quick question. Had my 64F8500 for a week now, coming from an PN58B850. Everything about this TV is better, especially black levels. Still though, if I turn off lights and put on a black screen you can still see the screen lit up. Much better than my older TV, but still visible. Now is this the way it should be? If I turn on the lights very slightly though, the screen seems completely black.
post #1850 of 5643
jmavra,

Black is not totally black on most sets. It also varies depending on technology/calibration, etc.

The way the eye works, the iris closes as room lighting increases which makes it harder to see the illuminated blacks. At some level of room brightness, you'll perceive that black is very black.

Getting around to your situation, you want it as dark as possible through the brightness control without crushing darker shades. That's one of the reasons why you would want it calibrated.
post #1851 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

At some level of room brightness, you'll perceive that black is very black.

This is a good point. For movie viewing I have Insteon lighting in the viewing room set to be as dim as I can go whilst still making black look black.
they dim very slowly when movie mode is activated. It takes about 40 seconds to reach the desired level, tricking the mind.

Calibrate your room lighting to your TV once your TV is calibrated wink.gif
post #1852 of 5643
thanks for the reply!!
Maybe i was taking the reviews about how black the F8500 was too literally.
post #1853 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I like to watch sports, especially football, brighter than I watch movies or even regular TV shows. Out of the box I found standard the best for sports, but a little tweaking on Dynamic is really nice, out of the box Dynamic is a bit overblown on everything, just knock Cell light and contrast down until you like it.

Note that you will no longer be "reference" but those controls, like tone controls on a stereo serve personal preferance every bit as much they can deliver "technically correct". I keep only one mode as close to reference as possible, Movie, the rest are set to preference, the kids own Cal-Day, the wife owns Relax, I own Movie and Cal-Night, everyone chimed in on Dynamic smile.gif

Personally I see reference settings just as the baseline used to then adjust to preference, very anti-purist but I did not buy the TV to make the producer of the shows I watch happy, I bought it to make me and the family happy... Getting it as close to reference is important I think as it gives you a known good starting point and also speaks to the quality of the set, after that it really serves no purpose in my opinion. I would not want to watch sports off the same tune as a Blu-Ray movie.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. it's a baseline, and i'll adjust from there based on how my ears and eyes perceive things. I mean, maybe the director and I don't see red equally, so I need my display to be set to a cooler color temp in order to 'see' the same colors. but I don't really agree with having so many different settings. if I had to go back and forth between presets i'd go crazy. if I need to change something going from watching cable to watching a movie, then my settings aren't right for me. still, you have the right to do whatever you want with your TV.
post #1854 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

still, you have the right to do whatever you want with your TV.

Yup, I suspect that is why they put all of those options on it, in reality within a few months the TV will end up on one of them and live their most of its life like the last one.
post #1855 of 5643
When I first bought my set (64F8500) I had planned on having it calibrated professionally. I used the Spears and Munsil disc to set contrast and brightness and tweaked a few other setting from info found in threads here. The picture looks exceptional right now and I'm on the fence on having it calibrated. The calibrator who did my RPTV years ago sent me an email stating he's going to be in the area and is offering a discount to previous customers. He did an exceptional job on my RPTV, it still has an excellent picture and great color. I'm having a hard time convincing myself I'm going to see a noticeable improvement with the set, the law of diminishing returns keeps coming to mind.
post #1856 of 5643
Anyone know why the screen size is grayed out watching movies on the Amazon app? I cannot zoom out the picture to fill the screen for shows that have black bars all around the picture.mad.gif
Edited by ola67 - 10/12/13 at 7:56pm
post #1857 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ola67 View Post

Anyone know why the screen size is grated out watching movies on the Amazon app? I cannot zoom out the picture to fill the screen for shows that have black bars all around the picture.mad.gif
Normal
post #1858 of 5643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ola67 View Post

Anyone know why the screen size is grated out watching movies on the Amazon app? I cannot zoom out the picture to fill the screen for shows that have black bars all around the picture.mad.gif

do you have a bluray player you can go through? i find that is a work around for some movies on netflix.
post #1859 of 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

do you have a bluray player you can go through? i find that is a work around for some movies on netflix.

Good suggestions for netflix but my Oppo 103 does not have the Amazon app. I have a hard time accepting that Samsung could not implement the zoom function for the apps. What is up with that?eek.gif
post #1860 of 5643
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ola67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

do you have a bluray player you can go through? i find that is a work around for some movies on netflix.

Good suggestions for netflix but my Oppo 103 does not have the Amazon app. I have a hard time accepting that Samsung could not implement the zoom function for the apps. What is up with that?eek.gif

ah dam! i dont get it either. its the little things like that, that tick me off!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)