or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 112

post #3331 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

OK, so running a break in disk and I notice 2 dead or stuck pixels.

One is magenta color in the shape of an X, the other is light blue, different shape.

Anyone know if this can be fixed with some patterns? I will look some up and try, just wondering if I am wasting my time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Would you take it back. It's in upper left corner and not really that bad as I would likely rarely notice it. But it is one day old and it bothers me knowing it is not perfect.





KC

You also complained about buzzing, seeing as you have more than one problem, I would send it back.  60" seems to have more problems than the 64 or 51.

post #3332 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

OK, so running a break in disk and I notice 2 dead or stuck pixels.

One is magenta color in the shape of an X, the other is light blue, different shape.

Anyone know if this can be fixed with some patterns? I will look some up and try, just wondering if I am wasting my time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Would you take it back. It's in upper left corner and not really that bad as I would likely rarely notice it. But it is one day old and it bothers me knowing it is not perfect.





KC

My tv came with 3 stuck pixels. One was faint and disappeared. The other 2 remain. I cant see them from where I sit. The odds are they are stuck on for good. I chose to keep it, as mine has no buzz.
post #3333 of 5678
For those with stuck Pixels, and have the Disney WOW Blu-ray, try running the Flicker Program for a couple of hours and see if that unsticks them.
post #3334 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

For those with stuck Pixels, and have the Disney WOW Blu-ray, try running the Flicker Program for a couple of hours and see if that unsticks them.

That doesn't really work on plasma tv's. Even the WOW disc says the pixel flipper is for IR on plasmas and stuck pixels on LCD tv's.
post #3335 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

That doesn't really work on plasma tv's. Even the WOW disc says the pixel flipper is for IR on plasmas and stuck pixels on LCD tv's.
I had two stuck pixels when I got mine and used the Disney WOW pixel flipper and it got mine unstuck. work for mine (64f8500)
post #3336 of 5678
^ I think anything that produces a lot of white to black 'changes' and gives TV's pixels a good workout can work for both LCD and Plasma.
post #3337 of 5678
I'll believe it when I see it...never seen a plasma pixel defect recovered by any method I've tried (across Pioneer and Panasonic anyway). Temporary resolution is more believable.
post #3338 of 5678
This has to do with the "source -> HDMI -> F8500 -> Toslink -> AV receiver" audio pass through.

I know that there is HDCP prevention of passing through 5.1 signals and I have an optical switcher to get around that, so this is more of a logic question. As part of a new center channel install last night I, for whatever reason, ran a test through the HDMI F8500 optical pass through. I was a bit shocked that there was -no- bass output from the sub on my 5.1 encoded recording of "There Will Be Blood." It appears that none of the .1 LFE channel was coming through after wandering its way through the F8500.

Does anyone know if the F8500 just drops the LFE channel or if there is a way to mix it in to the 2 channel PCM output? Like I said, doesn't really matter, just curious.

Edit: found why it wasn't working. One has to set the speakers to "External" on the Samsung. Then you can select "DTS:Neo" as the output form and it will mix correctly. If you leave it set to the TV Speakers, all the alternative mixing options are greyed out and 2 ch. PCM is the only option.
Edited by eelpout - 1/22/14 at 1:31pm
post #3339 of 5678
Anyone having any issues playing Hulu Plus? Two days ago my app would no longer launch giving a critical error having something to do with the Time not being set. Contacted Hulu and they said it's a bug in Samsung's firmware.
post #3340 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ I think anything that produces a lot of white to black 'changes' and gives TV's pixels a good workout can work for both LCD and Plasma.

+1

post #3341 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post
 

+1

There are many programs that may help with pixels. One p5Browne found for me is called PIXEL PROTECTOR. It gives all the Pixels a good work- out...

 

http://www.pixelprotector.com/PixelProtector_Blu_Ray_p/ppbrv2.1.htm


Edited by KONICA TECH - 1/22/14 at 6:50pm
post #3342 of 5678
Has all this arguing about who has the Blackest, Brightness, most quiet sounding, etc gotten to you? Now they have the ultimate get away from it all product!

http://www.dealfind.com//en/sudbury/28163026

LOL Everybody! (Comic relief from the F8500 Stresses!)
post #3343 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty123 View Post

I had two stuck pixels when I got mine and used the Disney WOW pixel flipper and it got mine unstuck. work for mine (64f8500)
You would be amazed how stuff like this actually works. We had this Pioneer unit that had like 15 dead pixels. Pioneer had us run a 15 Min test . We laughed, but tried it. It unstuck all of them !!

Look at this cool trick........Don't try it though
post #3344 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You would be amazed how stuff like this actually works. We had this Pioneer unit that had like 15 dead pixels. Pioneer had us run a 15 Min test . We laughed, but tried it. It unstuck all of them !!

Look at this cool trick........Don't try it though

I think that beats my LOL! 1 Thumbs up from me!

Was that a Panasonic?
Edited by p5browne - 1/22/14 at 9:55pm
post #3345 of 5678
I'm glad the pixel programs work for some. So I will not say that it doesn't work. However, I have seen elsewhere that the only way to "unstick" a pixel on a plasma is it crank the ABL to unsafe levels to turn off the pixel. To this date, I have never been able to unstick a pixel. Whether it be on my Pioneer 5020, my Sharp LED or my current Samsung plasma. So my opinion, is that it doesn't work. When you have Disney saying with their disc that it does not unstick pixels on plasmas, the disc has no effect. It's just dumb luck, or it would have become unstuck regardless. If they could sell the fact that they could unstick pixels on plasmas, they would sell it. I am glad it worked for some, but I can guarantee it had nothing to do with a pixel flipper.
Edited by wxman - 1/22/14 at 11:17pm
post #3346 of 5678

My old firmware was 1102. I upgraded to 1113.3. HD quality is terrible on 1113.3. It is realy very bad. Is it like that on everybody? I have some friends and they all have this problem. I am very disappointed.

Hairs were very clear before 1113.3 upgrade. Now it is very blury

My TV is 46f8000. Samsung says no problem with new firmware but they are lier. I know 8 different person who are very disappointed with this new firmware. SD channels are a bit better, but hd quality is realy worse. What do u think? Is your solution works also for me?

post #3347 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbriel View Post

My old firmware was 1102. I upgraded to 1113.3. HD quality is terrible on 1113.3. It is realy very bad. Is it like that on everybody? I have some friends and they all have this problem. I am very disappointed.


Hairs were very clear before 1113.3 upgrade. Now it is very blury


My TV is 46f8000. Samsung says no problem with new firmware but they are lier. I know 8 different person who are very disappointed with this new firmware. SD channels are a bit better, but hd quality is realy worse. What do u think? Is your solution works also for me?

I just posted a reply to the same question in the F8000 thread.

Let us know how it turns out.
post #3348 of 5678

After I saw your post, I also posted it to here. Because I'm not sure that factory reset can fix this issue as it's a soft reset (Only clears the settings).

post #3349 of 5678
With pixel flippers and plasma TVs the fact it may work depends on why the pixel is stuck in the first place. On a new TV, the chances to fix one are higher although still slim. The electronics need time to bed in and calling on a pixel to change rapidly whilst heat builds up on the TV during the begining of its life can unstick plasma pixels. I have seen it happen myself. It's a crap shoot though and it could be a defect that would not respond to any massaging. YMMV.
Edited by pieandchips - 1/23/14 at 6:28am
post #3350 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbriel View Post

After I saw your post, I also posted it to here. Because I'm not sure that factory reset can fix this issue as it's a soft reset (Only clears the settings).



If you don't mind, try it first and if it doesn't work, try the following. The part relating to factory reset.

Post 2481 on this page. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072
post #3351 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I still can't understand why anyone goes with the F8000 over the F8500. Of course motion and pq will be better on the F8500. It's a plasma! You don't have to worry about clouding, dimming, flashlighting, off angle viewing, 240hz panels that then need 1,000,000hz motion smoother so you can see a football without motion blur, motion interpolation, etc.

The plasma will have better blacks without the need for software cover up, better motion because it's a plasma and does not need software to help it's refresh rates, you can view it from side angles with no loss of pq, better color saturation, etc.

I can't see one advantage the the F8000. Maybe being able to keep the same static logo on all day without worrying about IR.

Some F8000 advantages:

  • No buzzing. I know everyone has a different tolerance level for buzzing and some claim they can't hear it at all (lucky), but for me, I'm VERY sensitive to plasma buzz and I'd have to be deaf not to hear a Samsung plasma buzz from 10+ feet away - even when I lived at sea level. Total deal breaker for me.
  • Altitude. I believe the F8500 is only rated for use up to 6500 ft. I live at 7100 ft. Even Panasonic derated their 2012-2013 lineup from 9100-9200 ft down to 7200 ft max. Perhaps it was a cost saving measure.
  • Power consumption & heat. Huge difference. No contest. I tried 2 different Samsung plasmas a couple of years ago (thinking the first one I received must have been defective) and they both buzzed loudly and ran super HOT. The Samsung plasma easily added several degrees to the room after being on for a few hours (you could feel it as soon as you entered the room and this was not the case with other TVs I tried).
  • Brightness. My F8000 emits about 70 fL on a full field pattern with the backlight set at 10 out of 20. I think the max fL I measured was about 130 fL with the backlight at 20. I know the F8500 is pretty good in this regard (certainly better than Panasonic's offerings), but the F8000 has a lot more headroom for bright rooms. My F8000 at 70 fL in my fairly bright living room is FAR more enjoyable than any plasma I've ever owned (I've owned several plasmas, but not the F8500).
  • Image retention. You already mentioned this one yourself, but as a previous plasma owner (multiple plasmas over the years), this can be a pretty big deal even if you don't do anything stupid like accidentally leaving a static image on the screen all day. For example, on my old Panasonic VT30, I had IR from the TBS logo for MONTHS. Yes, I watch a lot of TBS, but seeing IR from a translucent station logo every time a commercial with a white background comes on is completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the F8500 isn't a great display or isn't right for a lot of people, but you said you couldn't see ONE advantage of the F8000. I listed several.

When I moved back to Colorado this past Spring, I picked up the F8000 as a result of the altitude de-rating of the 2012 & 2013 Panasonics. I had never liked LCD as a technology, and I've always been a plasma guy (I think I've owned ~5 plasmas over the years). Anyway, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the F8000. The calibrated PQ is excellent overall, and I can honestly say that I enjoy it more than any of the plasmas I've owned (the last one being the Panasonic VT30 which was too dim to really enjoy in the daylight of a reasonably well lit living room IMO). Motion is not an issue for me as long as I use the Auto Motion Plus setting on "Clear" (low) which has slight motion interpolation, but does not yield a noticeable soap opera effect like the higher settings do.

I've got some mild vertical banding noticeable during certain panning scenes on my 65" F8000 (I believe all the 65" models have banding to some degree as I tried 2 of them), but aside from that, it's an excellent display. If it weren't for the banding, I don't know that I'd have a thing to complain about (a rarity for me). No, it's not a perfect display, but what display is? The F8000 and F8500 are both great displays with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Edited by jkozlow3 - 1/23/14 at 8:39am
post #3352 of 5678
I decided to exchange my TV. 3 dead pixels and a buzz loud enough to hear at certain angles. the pixels don't really bother me as they are top left, but together for a $2500.00 TV, I want to try again. Get me a good please Future Shop.

I tried a few online pixel fixers and non did anything.

I have a couple of questions while I wait for new set on Saturday:

1) How do you check what firmware you are running now?

2) I went to do update over wireless and it said it would take 10 hours. Is that for real?

3) I found that Cinema Smooth works well for me with Blu Ray. I think most people don't seem to like it. Motion Judder was off for me. Seemed to be the smoothest motion for me. What are most people liking for Blu Ray?

4) And how about regular 1080i cable TV. For some reason I can't find a motion setting that is best. Tennis was brutal to watch. Trailing tennis ball drove me nuts. And even any motion I am seeing trailing like I never saw on my Pioneer Kuro. Am I missing something? What settings do people like for Motion Judder and Film Mode for regular cable TV?


Thanks again,


KC
post #3353 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

Some F8000 advantages:

  • No buzzing. I know everyone has a different tolerance level for buzzing and some claim they can't hear it at all (lucky), but for me, I'm VERY sensitive to plasma buzz and I'd have to be deaf not to hear a Samsung plasma buzz from 10+ feet away. Total deal breaker for me.
  • Altitude. I believe the F8500 is only rated for use up to 6500 ft. I live at 7100 ft. Even Panasonic derated their 2012-2013 lineup from 9100-9200 ft down to 7200 ft max. Perhaps it was a cost saving measure.
  • Power consumption. Huge difference. No contest.
  • Brightness. My F8000 emits about 70 fL on a full field pattern with the backlight set at 10 out of 20. I think the max fL I measured was about 130 fL with the backlight at 20. I know the F8500 is pretty good in this regard (certainly better than Panasonic's offerings), but the F8000 has a lot more headroom for bright rooms. My F8000 at 70 fL in my fairly bright living room is FAR more enjoyable than any plasma I've ever owned (I've owned several plasmas, but not the F8500).
  • Image retention. You already mentioned this one yourself, but as a previous plasma owner (multiple plasmas over the years), this can be a pretty big deal even if you don't do anything stupid like accidentally leaving a static image on the screen all day. For example, on my old Panasonic VT30, I had IR from the TBS logo for MONTHS. Yes, I watch a lot of TBS, but seeing IR from a translucent station logo every time a commercial with a white background comes on is completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the F8500 isn't a great display or isn't right for a lot of people, but you said you couldn't see ONE advantage of the F8000. I listed several.

When I moved back to Colorado this past Spring, I picked up the F8000 as a result of the altitude de-rating of the 2012 & 2013 Panasonics. I had never liked LCD as a technology, and I've always been a plasma guy (I think I've owned ~5 plasmas over the years). Anyway, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the F8000. The calibrated PQ is excellent overall, and I can honestly say that I enjoy it more than any of the plasmas I've owned (the last one being the Panasonic VT30 which was too dim to really enjoy in the daylight of a reasonably well lit living room IMO). Motion is not an issue form me as long as I use the Auto Motion Plus setting on "Clear" (low) which has slight motion interpolation, but does not yield a noticeable soap opera effect like the higher settings.

I've got some mild vertical banding noticeable during certain panning scenes on my 65" F8000 (I believe all the 65" models have banding to some degree as I tried 2 of them), but aside from that, it's an excellent display. If it weren't for the banding, I don't know that I'd have a thing to complain about.
Guess I can see the altitude thing being an issue you. Guess that can make a decision for you.

For brightness, the F8500 is not like any past plasma ever made. It is closer related to an LED in that sense. Any brighter then that and it is just overkill anyway. Just because something can go as bright as the sun does not mean it should be run like that. I have owned a 60es7500 so I am familiar with Samsung LEDs. It is bar far one if the best edge lit LEDs I have seen but still not a plasma.

As far as power consumption. If you cannot afford $40 - $50 a year to run a large size plasma compared to $20 a year for a large LED, should you really be buying a $3,000 TV? To even take it a step further, if you cannot afford the extra $2.50 a month then should you be buying any new TV at that point? Sorry, power consumption is not an advantage due to the small difference over the cost of a year. This is something that has been blown out of proportion and people really are un-educated about these facts.

For buzz, I have a Panasonic and don't hear an ounce of it while watching any content. For the F8500 I have seen so many different posts from people complaining it is the loudest thing they ever heard to people saying there isn't an ounce of noise so I don't really know what is going on there. lol

Samsungs have also been known to handle IR extremely well.

I will say I am not sure I have seen a plasma screen that has 100% uniformity, at least running slides. So while banding might be seen on slides it usually can't be seen on actually content.
post #3354 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Guess I can see the altitude thing being an issue you. Guess that can make a decision for you.

For brightness, the F8500 is not like any past plasma ever made. It is closer related to an LED in that sense. Any brighter then that and it is just overkill anyway. Just because something can go as bright as the sun does not mean it should be run like that. I have owned a 60es7500 so I am familiar with Samsung LEDs. It is bar far one if the best edge lit LEDs I have seen but still not a plasma.

As far as power consumption. If you cannot afford $40 - $50 a year to run a large size plasma compared to $20 a year for a large LED, should you really be buying a $3,000 TV? To even take it a step further, if you cannot afford the extra $2.50 a month then should you be buying any new TV at that point? Sorry, power consumption is not an advantage due to the small difference over the cost of a year. This is something that has been blown out of proportion and people really are un-educated about these facts.

For buzz, I have a Panasonic and don't hear an ounce of it while watching any content. For the F8500 I have seen so many different posts from people complaining it is the loudest thing they ever heard to people saying there isn't an ounce of noise so I don't really know what is going on there. lol

Samsungs have also been known to handle IR extremely well.

I will say I am not sure I have seen a plasma screen that has 100% uniformity, at least running slides. So while banding might be seen on slides it usually can't be seen on actually content.


I walked away when writing my post and forgot to add heat to the power consumption bullet, as they go hand in hand (updated my post). I largely agree with you on the power consumption thing, but excess heat can be a big issue (and in turn cause even higher power consumption if the AC has to run more often or create issues for people without AC). I personally don't care about an extra $50 a year if it means better PQ, but at the end of the day, plasmas still use a LOT more electricity and this could be a drawback for some (not necessarily just because of operating cost). Some people are a lot more eco-friendly than we are apparently. smile.gif
Edited by jkozlow3 - 1/23/14 at 8:26am
post #3355 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I decided to exchange my TV. 3 dead pixels and a buzz loud enough to hear at certain angles. the pixels don't really bother me as they are top left, but together for a $2500.00 TV, I want to try again. Get me a good please Future Shop.

I tried a few online pixel fixers and non did anything.

I have a couple of questions while I wait for new set on Saturday:

1) How do you check what firmware you are running now?

2) I went to do update over wireless and it said it would take 10 hours. Is that for real?

3) I found that Cinema Smooth works well for me with Blu Ray. I think most people don't seem to like it. Motion Judder was off for me. Seemed to be the smoothest motion for me. What are most people liking for Blu Ray?

4) And how about regular 1080i cable TV. For some reason I can't find a motion setting that is best. Tennis was brutal to watch. Trailing tennis ball drove me nuts. And even any motion I am seeing trailing like I never saw on my Pioneer Kuro. Am I missing something? What settings do people like for Motion Judder and Film Mode for regular cable TV?


Thanks again,


KC
To your question 4) I have ask same thing here no answer..I hope its not tv and a firmware issue fix, If u get an answer please PM me as i also will ty smile.gif
post #3356 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

I walked away when writing my post and forgot to add heat to the power consumption bullet, as they go hand in hand (updated my post). I largely agree with you on the power consumption thing, but excess heat can be a big issue (and in turn cause even higher power consumption if the AC has to run more often or create issues for people without AC). I personally don't care about an extra $50 a year if it means better PQ, but at the end of the day, plasmas still use a LOT more electricity and this could be a drawback for some (not necessarily just because of operating cost). Some people are a lot more eco-friendly than we are apparently. smile.gif
I haven't hear any complaints about heated rooms from these new panels. Also, we are not talking about and extra $50 a year, we are talking about $50 for the year. So it would only be the difference of what the LED would cost for the year. They market LEDs like you are saving a ton of money a year when in reality you are saving something you would never notice in your monthly bills.
post #3357 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I decided to exchange my TV. 3 dead pixels and a buzz loud enough to hear at certain angles. the pixels don't really bother me as they are top left, but together for a $2500.00 TV, I want to try again. Get me a good please Future Shop.

KC

KC - I'm in the same position as you. I have one stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. To be honest, 99.99% of the time I can't see it (the stuck blue pixel is only noticeable on a full orange backgroud) so this issue, alone, isn't worth replacing the panel. But I suffer from the buzzing as well. When I originally received the TV, I had it set up on the floor in front of my old TV - which is on a TV stand between two entertainment unit tiers underneath a bridge supporting my center channel (bridge is connected to both tiers). It's not enclosed in the back approximately 12-20 inches of clearance between the TV and wall. With the new TV on the floor, I did not hear any buzzing at my seating position approximately 10-12 feet away. There was a buzz emanating from the rear of the F8500 but it was not audible at my seating position.

Unfortunately, after removing the old TV and replacing it with the new F8500 (now on the TV stand between the tiers and below the bridge/center channel), I can clearly hear the buzzing at my seating position right in front of the TV, 10-12 feet away. I don't hear it if I move to the side so that my ears are no longer directly in front of the TV. I don't hear it if I stand up and my ears are level with or higher than the bridge above the TV. And I don't hear it if I sink low in my couch so that my ears, while still directly in front of the TV, are very close to the cushions of the TV. So it really is only audible from a normal seating position directly in front of the TV - which is where I sit all the time as it's obviously the prime viewing position. Compounding the matter is that my wife, who typically sits to the side, doesn't hear the buzzing and is neither supportive or empathetic of my complaints smile.gif

To be fair, the buzzing isn't really noticeable during normal TV viewing with appropriate sound content. But I can definitely hear it during quiet scenes, especially since I'm always listening for it. I'm hoping not to have to return it. I'm planning on trying to install some foam acoustic panels in/around the TV within the enclosed space - likely affixing the panels to the bottom of he bridge above the TV. Some subjective testing with the foam panels behind me indicates this might work (it reduced the buzzing that was bouncing back off the wall behind my listening position). However, I will likely swap this TV for a new one if the acoustic panels don't work.

KC - let us know how the new panel works out for you? One of my concerns is that while I'm experiencing these two issues (stuck pixel, buzzing), the TV itself is outstanding and there are no other picture quality issues, so I'm hesitant to return an almost great TV to receive one that has the same, or possibly worse, issues. What is the general consensus among owners - is it worth the effort and hassle to swap the unit? Is there a high probability that the new TV will not experience similar issues?

Bryan
post #3358 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

Some F8000 advantages:

  • No buzzing. I know everyone has a different tolerance level for buzzing and some claim they can't hear it at all (lucky), but for me, I'm VERY sensitive to plasma buzz and I'd have to be deaf not to hear a Samsung plasma buzz from 10+ feet away - even when I lived at sea level. Total deal breaker for me.
  • Altitude. I believe the F8500 is only rated for use up to 6500 ft. I live at 7100 ft. Even Panasonic derated their 2012-2013 lineup from 9100-9200 ft down to 7200 ft max. Perhaps it was a cost saving measure.
  • Power consumption & heat. Huge difference. No contest. I tried 2 different Samsung plasmas a couple of years ago (thinking the first one I received must have been defective) and they both buzzed loudly and ran super HOT. The Samsung plasma easily added several degrees to the room after being on for a few hours (you could feel it as soon as you entered the room and this was not the case with other TVs I tried).
  • Brightness. My F8000 emits about 70 fL on a full field pattern with the backlight set at 10 out of 20. I think the max fL I measured was about 130 fL with the backlight at 20. I know the F8500 is pretty good in this regard (certainly better than Panasonic's offerings), but the F8000 has a lot more headroom for bright rooms. My F8000 at 70 fL in my fairly bright living room is FAR more enjoyable than any plasma I've ever owned (I've owned several plasmas, but not the F8500).
  • Image retention. You already mentioned this one yourself, but as a previous plasma owner (multiple plasmas over the years), this can be a pretty big deal even if you don't do anything stupid like accidentally leaving a static image on the screen all day. For example, on my old Panasonic VT30, I had IR from the TBS logo for MONTHS. Yes, I watch a lot of TBS, but seeing IR from a translucent station logo every time a commercial with a white background comes on is completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the F8500 isn't a great display or isn't right for a lot of people, but you said you couldn't see ONE advantage of the F8000. I listed several.

When I moved back to Colorado this past Spring, I picked up the F8000 as a result of the altitude de-rating of the 2012 & 2013 Panasonics. I had never liked LCD as a technology, and I've always been a plasma guy (I think I've owned ~5 plasmas over the years). Anyway, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the F8000. The calibrated PQ is excellent overall, and I can honestly say that I enjoy it more than any of the plasmas I've owned (the last one being the Panasonic VT30 which was too dim to really enjoy in the daylight of a reasonably well lit living room IMO). Motion is not an issue for me as long as I use the Auto Motion Plus setting on "Clear" (low) which has slight motion interpolation, but does not yield a noticeable soap opera effect like the higher settings do.

I've got some mild vertical banding noticeable during certain panning scenes on my 65" F8000 (I believe all the 65" models have banding to some degree as I tried 2 of them), but aside from that, it's an excellent display. If it weren't for the banding, I don't know that I'd have a thing to complain about (a rarity for me). No, it's not a perfect display, but what display is? The F8000 and F8500 are both great displays with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.


I am mainly asking about the difference between the two sets, as I watch a lot of sports, and notice too much blurring on my F8000, and heard this set is great in regards to motion. I initially asked about the pic quality out of curiosity, since although the F8000 does in my opinion produce a great picture, it still has uniformity issues as well. Thanks again for the feedback.
post #3359 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

To your question 4) I have ask same thing here no answer..I hope its not tv and a firmware issue fix, If u get an answer please PM me as i also will ty smile.gif

I'm starting to wonder is nobody else knows what we are talking about. I sure hope it is a firmware fix, as I have not done any yet. Since I am replacing it, I won't run what they say is a 10 hour update. (Talk about burn in)


KC
post #3360 of 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I'm starting to wonder is nobody else knows what we are talking about. I sure hope it is a firmware fix, as I have not done any yet. Since I am replacing it, I won't run what they say is a 10 hour update. (Talk about burn in)


KC

10 hours? That can't be right unless your using dial up. LOL I'm connected using wifi and I've installed every update released since back in July and none have take more than 2 or 3 minutes...4 minutes max.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)