or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have!

post #1 of 111
Thread Starter 
Anyone can tell me what are the top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have!
post #2 of 111
I don't think there are 20 must haves, but at least 7 come to mind

Avatar
IMAX under the sea
Prometheus
Hugo
Titanic
Life of Pi
Avengers

Some others that I like but would not say must have

any of the IMAX 3D series
Tangled
Lion King
Madagascar 3
Jurassic Park
The Three musketeers
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey 2 mysterious island
Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides
Resident Evil afterlife
Resident Evil retribution
Transformers 3
Underworld Awakening
Top Gun
Mars needs Moms
Men in black III
I robot
post #3 of 111
I'd add:
Step up 3d (dancing)
How to train your dragon
Tron Legacy
(maybe the hobbit, but I have not watched it yet)

Documentary: TT3D Closer to the Edge. (something about 200mph motorcycle racing through small city streets was just awesome)
post #4 of 111
The classic Vincent Price thriller, House of Wax....coming in October of this year.

An original film shot for 3d....lots of info on the web sites about HoW.
post #5 of 111
Despicable me
Tangled
How to train your dragon
Pirates of Caribbean 4
I also enjoy the Michael Jackson disk (it’s a 2D/3D mix however).
I am not that crazy about Avatar.
post #6 of 111
I'll add "Spy Kids 3d-GameOver"
Live action and CG background with lots of pop out.
post #7 of 111
Just watched; Art of Flight.....it's excellent 3D and lighting. While not technically a "movie", it's more of a "snow boarders meet mountains", type of film.
here's a preview in 3D; [URL][/URL]
post #8 of 111
IMAX's Rivers at Risk is a good demo of 3D done right. Of course, they've been shooting with dual camera rigs for quite some time.
post #9 of 111
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate. Dubbing isn't great and the martial artists fly like Superman but the 3D is the best I've seen in a live action film.
post #10 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate. Dubbing isn't great and the martial artists fly like Superman but the 3D is the best I've seen in a live action film.

3D is good but the 2.4:1 aspect ratio definitely affects depth and pop on standard 1.78:1 3D TV's. Also thought the movie itself was mediocre at best.



For me, the best 3D can be found in the Imax documentaries: Under the Sea, Hubble 3D, Legends of Flight and Grand Canyon all have demo worthy material.

In terms of live action movies, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Journey 2: Mysterious Island have aggressive 3D with lots of pop, though the films, while fun, won't win any awards for writing or acting.

Men in Black 3, Jurassic Park and Captain America are the best post-converted 3D movies I've seen.

MegaMind and Meet the Robinsons are the best CGI 3D movies I've seen both in terms of effects and story.

That's my 2 cents.
post #11 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate. Dubbing isn't great and the martial artists fly like Superman but the 3D is the best I've seen in a live action film.

Did you get the hong kong version? I am only seeing 2d blu ray and then a 3d hong kong version A . Both on amazon
post #12 of 111
any movies that are 1.78 or 1.85 looks better in general than any 2,35 films.




#1 avatar. duh.
#1b~ IMAX under the sea


then its all downhill from there... but a few were pretty good.

promethius
OZ great and powerful
jack the giant slayer
post #13 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

3D is good but the 2.4:1 aspect ratio definitely affects depth and pop on standard 1.78:1 3D TV's. Also thought the movie itself was mediocre at best.



For me, the best 3D can be found in the Imax documentaries: Under the Sea, Hubble 3D, Legends of Flight and Grand Canyon all have demo worthy material.

In terms of live action movies, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Journey 2: Mysterious Island have aggressive 3D with lots of pop, though the films, while fun, won't win any awards for writing or acting.

Men in Black 3, Jurassic Park and Captain America are the best post-converted 3D movies I've seen.

MegaMind and Meet the Robinsons are the best CGI 3D movies I've seen both in terms of effects and story.

That's my 2 cents.



maybe good for post conversions... but JP sucked in 3d... i didn't even finish watching the entire movie. the movie is like a 10/10. the 3d is like a 3/10 IMO
post #14 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpackers View Post

maybe good for post conversions... but JP sucked in 3d... i didn't even finish watching the entire movie. the movie is like a 10/10. the 3d is like a 3/10 IMO

How/where did you see the movie? Yes, I will agree that the 3D is not the best, but that's more a problem with how the movie was originally made and the resulting grain, lens flare issues, etc. The 3D when the tram car is falling through the tree is quite good. The scenic views of the dinos are so-so due to the so-so cgi capability of that time period. But I still like it better in 3D than not.
post #15 of 111
oh well... i definitely prefer it in 3d, to not.


i guess watching avatar and under the sea, as my 1st two at home 3d movies... spoiled me... as i now have unrealistic expectations, lol
post #16 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

How/where did you see the movie? Yes, I will agree that the 3D is not the best, but that's more a problem with how the movie was originally made and the resulting grain, lens flare issues, etc. The 3D when the tram car is falling through the tree is quite good. The scenic views of the dinos are so-so due to the so-so cgi capability of that time period. But I still like it better in 3D than not.

Primitive CGI notwithstanding, the first shot of Grant and Ellie looking up at the bracheosaur exhibited great height and mass - a great example of 3D extending an image in my opinion. A late shot of the raptor jumping up towards the screen and popping out elicited some squeals and jumps both at the movie theater and at home. Despite the fact that the film is over 20 years old it still managed to elicit a lot of great 3D moments (far moreso than say Phantom Menace).
post #17 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj View Post

Did you get the hong kong version? I am only seeing 2d blu ray and then a 3d hong kong version A . Both on amazon

Looking at the packaging it doesn't say anything about which version it is but looking at Amazon the HK version has a different picture on the front. The one I have has this picture:

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Special-Edition-Exclusive-Content/dp/B009T6EM4G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1372512851&sr=8-7&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate

It's listed as unavailable.

Found it at Walmart for $18.40

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21618907?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I did have a hard time trying to play the English subtitles but eventually got it to work and as I said the 3D was stunning, the first half of the movie with depth and the last part with things flying out at you.
Edited by joed32 - 7/2/13 at 6:30am
post #18 of 111
I force my girlfriend into many a 3d movie. I know she's not the biggest fan of it. However she did say whoaaa that's so cool a few times while watching "the great and powerful oz". I myself was surprised that i liked it. I was only in it for the eye candy. Great depth some pop out and great picture quality I recommend it
post #19 of 111
My favourite 3D animated movie right now is Madagascar 3. Lots of out of the screen effects (negative parallax), great visuals and it is pretty funny to boot. A really nice 3D packag
Edited by Deja Vu - 7/6/13 at 4:01pm
post #20 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK215 View Post

Despicable me
Tangled
How to train your dragon
Pirates of Caribbean 4
I also enjoy the Michael Jackson disk (it’s a 2D/3D mix however).
I am not that crazy about Avatar.

Which Michael Jackson disc are you referring to?
post #21 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueytan View Post

Which Michael Jackson disc are you referring to?
This Is It. Most of the concert preparation is in 2D with only a few performances in 3D.
post #22 of 111
I wanted to mention the new Wizard of Oz 3D conversion. It is excellent.
post #23 of 111
I thought Jurassic Park 3D (at home) was incredible. It makes me think that some people saw a really poor presentation, since there are a lot that poo-poo it.
post #24 of 111
I think the disappointment stems from the fact that what people were expecting to see was dinosaurs in 3D and in reality most of the dinosaur shots were just not that good. The character shots were very good but I was quite disappointed when I saw the very first Dinosaur.
post #25 of 111
The thing is- the Dinos *were* in shown in 3-D correctly. If there would have been more depth or roundness to the Dinos, the result would essentially be hyper-stereo and also would have caused an effect in stereoscopic 3D known as minaturization, which takes away from the realism. This is what Guillermo del Toro fought against when WB wanted to convert PACIFIC RIM, and WB agreed. www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-talks-pacific-rim-3d-conversion-what-can-i-tell-you-i-changed-my-mind/

JURASSIC PARK is a knockout conversion.
post #26 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

The thing is- the Dinos *were* in shown in 3-D correctly. If there would have been more depth or roundness to the Dinos, the result would essentially be hyper-stereo and also would have caused an effect in stereoscopic 3D known as minaturization, which takes away from the realism. This is what Guillermo del Toro fought against when WB wanted to convert PACIFIC RIM, and WB agreed. www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-talks-pacific-rim-3d-conversion-what-can-i-tell-you-i-changed-my-mind/

JURASSIC PARK is a knockout conversion.

I thought JP was pretty good in the theater. I haven't seen it at home yet. I will get it someday.
I had not considered that "minaturization" effect of the rounded objects. I have seen this effect used in still photographs, and I can see where that would be a concern. However, one thing I dislike in stereoscopic 3D is when the things appear like flat cardboard objects merely placed near or far from the observer. I like how 3D looks on my system in Avatar. Things look real. To me. And the new "Wizard of Oz" makes things like fences and the landscape look like it is real and graduates into the distance properly.
I am just starting with 3D at home and have more to see to get acclimated in it. I do think there is something to the fact that the screen is smaller at home and one can see the entire presentation w/o moving one's head as much as at the "real" theater.
Edited by Cyrano - 10/31/13 at 3:27pm
post #27 of 111
Was "King Kong" (2005) ever in 3D? A lot of the sequences seem like they'd look awesome in 3D.
post #28 of 111
No, King Kong, 2005 version, was not done in 3d.
post #29 of 111
My list for 20 must own 3D blu rays is... (No particular order)

Prometheus
Titanic
Wizard of OZ
Life of Pi
Hugo
Adventures of Tintin
Pacific Rim
Tron: Legacy
Alice in Wonderlad
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dredd
Legend of the Gaurdians
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Top Gun
Coraline
Paranoman
Avatar
Avengers
Man of Steel
John Carter
IMAX Under the Sea
post #30 of 111
I don't know if their is such a thing as must haves but my favorites are as follows:
Hugo
Avatar
Prometheus
Titanic
Avengers
Dredd (do not buy the eu/au release as the 3d has many issues not found in other releases)
Beauty and the Beast
Star Trek Into Darkness
Man of Steel
Coroline
Tron Legacy

Note this is for both the film and the 3d as I don't care how good the 3d is if the film isn't worth checking out.

If we are talking about quality 3d then the list is massive at this stage.

I need to check out Life of Pi and Pacific Rim which I should be able to do in the next week or so.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have!