or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Dual Othorn build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dual Othorn build - Page 4

post #91 of 143
Thread Starter 
Ok, got about an hour in with just one playing...wowzers!!

Josh is right, this has a very "neutral" sound, very crisp. It's also very efficient, and has no issue maxing the SPL meter at any frequency 30hz and up with just one.

It's also very efficient. With two Ghorns, I have the receiver sub out at -8db. With all the gains and volume knobs in the same position, I have one othorn at -10db, so with two I'll need to turn the gains down on the amp.

I'm very impressed, this thing slams. I was contemplating replacing a single clone with two CV-5000 amps, one per Othorn, but the clone is far more than adequate in 4ohm stereo to push these.

I can understand Josh doubling the bracing. The Ghorns and these generate MASSIVE cabinet pressures. It's unreal.

I'm done building subs for now smile.gif
post #92 of 143
Just curious of how you will have them all setup in your room? Any pics?
post #93 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Just curious of how you will have them all setup in your room? Any pics?

I'll have to move the Ghorns to the back off the room.

I'll post some pictures tonight.
post #94 of 143
Thread Starter 
My apologies ahead of time for the craptastic phone pictures...







post #95 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

I'll have to move the Ghorns to the back off the room.

That is a first world bass problem right there. biggrin.gif

Seriously nice job with the builds.
post #96 of 143
Best. Center. Channel. Ever.
post #97 of 143
YOU NEED A BIGGER ROOM. smile.gif

really great builds and fun thread to follow along.
post #98 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

Best. Center. Channel. Ever.

I'm still amazed no one noticed it when i posted pics of the Ghorns!
post #99 of 143
Looks great Luke...You are crazy with all that in what looks like a not very big room. If the Othorns don't rock your face in there I don't know what to tell you bro.

If you want to try something really fun put one of the Othorns in the cargo hold of an SUV and strap a decent sized car amp to it. cool.gif
post #100 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

My apologies ahead of time for the craptastic phone pictures...


So what's the XL toilet paper roll for, when that earthquake-inducing amount of bass spontaneously empties your bowels?
post #101 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

So what's the XL toilet paper roll for, when that earthquake-inducing amount of bass spontaneously empties your bowels?

There's a suspended ceiling, or what I like to call a dust manufacturing ceiling, in that room. The bass literally makes it rain, so I'm constantly wiping down my gear.
post #102 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

The bass literally makes it rain, so I'm constantly wiping down my gear.

Wiping your gear or your rear? biggrin.gif
post #103 of 143
Please excuse my ingnorance , but did you not build 2 of these exactly the same. I see only one big one ? Or did you build one big and one small.

Nice job BTW
post #104 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Please excuse my ingnorance , but did you not build 2 of these exactly the same. I see only one big one ? Or did you build one big and one small.

Nice job BTW

There are two big and two small. In those pictures there are two in the front of the room and two behind the couch.
post #105 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Wiping your gear or your rear? biggrin.gif

HAHA!! That one got me!
post #106 of 143
have you experimented yet with a high crossover point to your mains? seems like the ots might hold a slight midbass advantage over those guys. :-)

edit: or is the top end a little squirrelly since they are tapped horns?
post #107 of 143
Holy crap , not wonder your wiping down your equipment all the time. biggrin.gif Seriously though those tiles are a bitch. Thanks for clearing that up .
Richard
post #108 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

have you experimented yet with a high crossover point to your mains? seems like the ots might hold a slight midbass advantage over those guys. :-)

edit: or is the top end a little squirrelly since they are tapped horns?

Top end on the othorns is awesome. Only need some EQ at 107hz but still sound fine without it. Ghorns need tons of EQ up top.

I've only had a few minute to try and integrate the two, and its being a little difficult, but i knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park. I'm getting there.
post #109 of 143
Thread Starter 
Here's where I'm at with the integration of the GH and OH:



Purple line is only the the GH, red line is only the OH, and the blue line is them both on.

40hz 48db BW filters.
post #110 of 143
Impressive!!!

You're giving me some really bad ideas. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #111 of 143
Can you repost the graph above with the phase trace shown as well?
post #112 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

Can you repost the graph above with the phase trace shown as well?

Unfortunately I only saved the picture, not the files. I'll try and remember this next time I'm doing sweeps.
post #113 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

Unfortunately I only saved the picture, not the files. I'll try and remember this next time I'm doing sweeps.

Great, that would be nice to see.

I think you are at the forefront of awesome bass, horn loaded as wide as possible using a 2 way bass system. Integration is key but this is the final frontier.

I read about the GTG with the Othorns and GHs recently, would you mind comparing a single OS to a single Othorn in terms of subjective sound?
post #114 of 143
It would have been a lot easier to do the same day, now he would be going on memory. Off the top of my head I would venture to guess a single OS is > a single Othorn although I have yet to hear a single othorn pushed to it's max.
post #115 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

Great, that would be nice to see.

I think you are at the forefront of awesome bass, horn loaded as wide as possible using a 2 way bass system. Integration is key but this is the final frontier.

I read about the GTG with the Othorns and GHs recently, would you mind comparing a single OS to a single Othorn in terms of subjective sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

It would have been a lot easier to do the same day, now he would be going on memory. Off the top of my head I would venture to guess a single OS is > a single Othorn although I have yet to hear a single othorn pushed to it's max.

If it’s an Othorn powered off a single channel of a clone, I’d give the edge to the OS. The 4,000w RMS amp it has is an absolute beast, and a single channel of the clone just can’t compete. I’m still considering selling a clone and powering the Othorns with dual CV-5000 amps.

It’s hard to compare the two since they’re so different. The OS is also using some pretty heavy EQ to flatten it’s response, so much so that Jeff doesn't sell a passive version of the OS LF/LFU.

Besides needing to pull down 107hz, the Othorn is pretty dang flat and doesn't need any other EQ.
post #116 of 143
ds, you want front loaded horns with their characteristic rising response and mad efficiency in the 100-200hz ballpark.
post #117 of 143
Thread Starter 
I must be losing my mind...I just bought two Crest CC5500 amps...one for each Othorn...
post #118 of 143
Demented.
post #119 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

I must be losing my mind...I just bought two Crest CC5500 amps...one for each Othorn...

So.... Because I'm too lazy to look up the specs on the 21s/clone/cc5500... What does that mean in numbers...
post #120 of 143
you get one guess as to what 5500 means. :-)

as for spl, probably up in the 140-150db range. somewhere up there...
Edited by LTD02 - 9/11/13 at 10:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Dual Othorn build