or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer sound
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subwoofer sound - Page 3

post #61 of 540

I just got one, MY seat. biggrin.gif

Came to $330.

I'll keep you posted by PM.

post #62 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Was this conclusion before or after listening to a Klipsch, RC-64 II? eek.gif
That has to be sweet sounding but for Home Theater use, can it keep up with 99dB sensitivity? cool.gif
So, louder high frequencies for less $$$$? Add to Cart!
post #63 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I'll keep you posted by PM.

Thanks!

...biggrin.gif
Edited by BeeMan458 - 6/2/13 at 9:10am
post #64 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

So, louder high frequencies for less $$$$? Add to Cart!

I picked ours up as new b-stock for $800.00. New, they're about half of your C5 but more sensitive by nine dB at 1w/1m; anechoic. In my opinion, that goes a long way in improving the limited output of an AVR's transformer.

With it's horn, for reproducing violins, I'm sure it's not going be as sweet sounding as your C5 but for Home Theater and general center channel dialogue, assuming proper timbre match for panning purposes, it has to be up there with being one of the best choices for Home Theater use.

The point was, by comparison, you sure got one sweet looking (and I'm sure sounding) center channel.

...wink.gif

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 6/2/13 at 9:14am
post #65 of 540
Torqdog has just checked into a wasteful spending 12 step recovery program. biggrin.gif

1st meeting..........

Hi! My name is Torqdog and I'm a wasteful spender.

Hi Torqdog!

Yeah........it's been going on for years. I read trade mags, frequent audio visual forums.......when I drive by a high-end audio/visual shop, I just can't help it. I MUST pull over and go inside. And that ALWAYS spells trouble because I HAVE to sample all the new goodies and that of course means more wasteful spending. It's gotten so bad that I've had to cut back on feeding my wife(she's always dieting anyway) and now I just got a notice that they're gonna cut my power off if I don't pay but I just spent all kinds of cash on upgrading my overpriced and unnecessary subwoofer. I simply can't live with no power to power my obsession.........WHAT CAN I DO?!!! I about ready to kill myself......sob, sob.

Oh dear Torqdog..........it sounds like you are NOT a smart shopper. Sell all your overpriced stuff that most folks can't even hear the difference or understand why you buy that crap and buy a cheap, Chinese import HTIB. Average Joes like em and so......will......you! And, start feeding your wife you jerk!!!
post #66 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I picked ours up as new b-stock for $800.00. New, they're about half of your C5 but more sensitive by nine dB at 1w/1m; anechoic. In my opinion, that goes a long way in improving the limited output of an AVR's transformer.

With it's horn, for reproducing violins, I'm sure it's not going be as sweet sounding as your C5 but for Home Theater and general center channel dialogue, assuming proper timbre match for panning purposes, it has to be up there with being one of the best choices for Home Theater use.

The point was, by comparison, you sure got one sweet looking (and I'm sure sounding) center channel.

...wink.gif
Apologies. Klipsch makes good gear. I thought you were fueling the flame of parody that those of us who spend more than the OP's budget for gear should be chastized for wasteful spending.

Yes, the C5 (and my S8's) reproduce screeching sounds with great clarity & realism!
post #67 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post


Personally speaking, after about 2 weeks of home theatre experience,

post #68 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

...Is it worth it? absolutely not. I'd rather spend that money on up-budgeting a pair of speakers, maybe from bookshelves to towers....

So why would you ever want to go from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers? Extension.

If a person is unable to hear the sound quality differences between a lesser and greater sub, then that is somewhat understandable. In order to hear the improved sound quality you really need to turn the volume up on each sub. Lesser subs sound better at lower volumes which in turn makes you want to keep the volume lower. Higher quality subs will maintain quality bass at higher volumes, ultimately making you want to turn it louder.

But, the most obvious sonic improvement when going from a lesser sub to a higher quality sub is extension.

If you can see the benefit of "upgrading" from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers (within the same line) then you should have no problem seeing why someone would upgrade their subwoofer.
post #69 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

So why would you ever want to go from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers? Extension.

If a person is unable to hear the sound quality differences between a lesser and greater sub, then that is somewhat understandable. In order to hear the improved sound quality you really need to turn the volume up on each sub. Lesser subs sound better at lower volumes which in turn makes you want to keep the volume lower. Higher quality subs will maintain quality bass at higher volumes, ultimately making you want to turn it louder.

But, the most obvious sonic improvement when going from a lesser sub to a higher quality sub is extension.

If you can see the benefit of "upgrading" from bookshelf speakers to tower speakers (within the same line) then you should have no problem seeing why someone would upgrade their subwoofer.

And working with your above, if one adds subwoofers to their Home Theater system and sets the AVR based crossovers to 80Hz, one doesn't need the benefit of their mains going low. Subwoofers and AVR based bass management has really turned the "apple cart" on it's side regarding Home Theater sound track reproduction.
post #70 of 540
Quote:
How many times do you watch a film contaiing earthquakes and thunder? Maybe a couple flicks. At the price to hear an accurate thunder and earthquake for $1000+? NOT a smart shopper.

You dont need a $1000+ sub-woofer to hear an accurate detail of an earthquake or a thunder, a thunder is a thunder, its just a rumble, thats all there is. Even real life thunder sounds different at all times, therefore you will never get an accurate sound of an earthquake or a thunder, however, from this post, you will accuraelty hear ONE particular sound of a thunder the movie makers intended to put in there. Will you really spend $1000+ to hear an accurate RUMBLING sound? I wouldn't. Again, I woulod rather spend the money on a good center channel which is about %70-80 of your home theatre experience.

However, one thing Iearned through this thread is that I should have bought 2x $200 subwoofer than 1x $400 subwoofer. (considering the $200 subwoofer is an well reviewed subwoofer.)

Yeah, cause earthquakes and thunder are so rare in nature and in film... biggrin.gif
It's not like Cerwin Vega designed an entire theater system around trying to accurately reproduce sub sonic sounds for the movie Earthquake rolleyes.gif

Just recently lightning struck very close to my house, and I can tell you there was alot more than a rumble involved in the earth shaking effect as the thunder hit.

Personally the only large speakers i've ever owned are Cerwin Vegas. I've run thunder and earthquakes through dual 15" woofers many times and didn't get close to the infrasonic impact nature is capable of.

The reason for that is those 15's are only around 30hz capable with eq because they are designed to fill a large area with sound.
The reason you may not get alot of deep bass at the theater is because the large space gives far less gain to low frequencies than a smaller space would.

I'm all for value for the dollar, those 15's only cost me 50$. But i certianly won't pretend that they are any more capable of low frequencies at high spl than your average budget Bic subwoofer.

You don't need to spend 1000$+ to get incredible performance. You would only need to stop pretending that is available from a pre-built 200$-300$ sub and get yourself one of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-514
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-468

Or even 2 of these at their current sale price:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-468

After that you could easily build a bare bones sonotube subwoofer with a few hours work or you could put in a little more work for a traditional 30$ mdf box.
You could even buy a reasonably priced assemble it yourself box.

Total price with a decent external power amp like a behringer would be around 600$.
A little insight into what you would pay SVS for a smaller sub: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc13-ultra#.Uaue1Zw2Jzc

Center channels don't mean much to me in a small theater room, very difficult to tell the difference near-field.

None of the above matters to you though so i'll make it as simple as possible. Infrasonic bass is not a myth, it is naturally occurring and is all around us. I'm not sure what it did to you to make you so afraid of it but it's a fact you'll just have to live with biggrin.gif
post #71 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Yesterday I was feeling a bit of sympathy for you Brian. But today, your continued insistence that we are wasting our money is starting to get a little old and long in the tooth. I mean seriously, what difference does it make to YOU whether someone else goes out and spends gobs of money on, in your opinion, "useless" subwoofers.

With this in mind I have come to the conclusion that;

1) You are suffering a major case of envy and are fiscally unable to satisfy the urge to improve your system. So instead, you somehow justify this inability to improve by proclaiming that those of us who have high quality stuff are somehow stupid for spending that kind of money. Does it make you feel better?

2) I don't like throwing this description around but maybe sickboy013 was accurate when he labeled you a troll. Why else would you be spending soooooo much time trying to convince us, on a subwoofer forum of all places that we're somehow stupid for spending money on quality subwoofers.

3) You haven't actually ever tasted the good stuff and therefore know nothing of what you speak. Yet, armed with your lack of knowledge you seem to think it important to inform the rest of us how ignorant and stupid we are for thinking we can hear a difference. Again, sounds like trolling to me.

They have a place on this planet where your kind of mindset is accepted by the masses. Where everyone is on an equal footing, no-one better, no-one worse....... everyone gets the same stuff. It's called North Korea.

I've wasted enough time on this thread. Enjoy your BIC.


If it works for you thats fine. I am not envying anything. I havent noticed the difference in the more pricey subwoofer to envy it. Its not about the money, as you can clearly see, I am not saying do NOT get a subwoofer, I am merely saying you should consider spending the money on a sub to a better front speakers. And also, it is better to get 2 or 3 subwoofers than one pricey one. (as Beeman suggested) to me, this sounds more logical and understanable since the bass at low volumes (presence) will be felt more with 2 or 3 subwoofers working (hence two subs on opposite sides will cover more room and have more presence/physically speaking as well) than one.

I am not talking about dirt cheap subwoofers that bottoms out all the time. I am talking about the Klipsche's the BIC's the entry model HSU's. I am merely saying I would rather get a 2 or 3 BIC's or an enetry level HSU's over a $1000 1x Outlaws or a higher end model of the Hsu's. Or I would rather have 2x 8' Eneregy Subwoofers over 1x $400.00 Klipsch subwoofer.

Ultimately, I think its better to always have more subwoofer that cost less than one pricey subwoofer. I think its all the same with home theatre equipment I'm starting to notice.

Having two cheaper front speakers is better than having one expensive speaker that is on left or right side standing there alone (cosnidering this is for home THEATRE). The speaker there that is standing there alone will put out great details and and great volumes knowing that its pricey and well reviwed but it will never be room filling or have as much soundstage than two cheaper ones. (but is also well reviewed) However, sadly, this infact can be a poor example in comparison with speakers to subwoofer because with subwoofer, there isnt much to compromise as to your speakers. Like I said, with speakers, details and clarity CAN mean alot to your movie viewing, and its ON and playing throghout the whole movie, but with a sub, its merely a a little better BOOM or a WHAM (not even sure about that since i demoed bic to top of the line hsu) and it dosent get played nearly as much as your front speakers. I can actually compare them to sorround speakers, NOT as important as your fronts.

Alot of sound comes from the speakers than a subwoofer. A subwoofer can only produce so much bass in a movie. So if one were to compare the speakers "details", "clarity", to a subwoofer, I think from a subwoofers standpoint, it would be depth and and sounstage. (how room filling the sub would be) and that also would be covered more by 2 subwoofers than 1 pricey one.

Like I said, I demoed the top of the line sub's (hsu's/rythmics) and the big thumps and booms and whatnot, I honestly couldnt tell any difference with my $200.00 BIC-H100.

With louder levels it might be different I am not sure, from what I remember, it was pretty loud in there, and I assume from my experience that no one would even want to go higher than the volume played in the demo room. (it was pretty much a theatre level volume in there)


I do not really know about the technicalities and the frequency mumbo jambo, but from a logical sense from the outside, this makes much more sense.
Edited by Brian323 - 6/2/13 at 2:40pm
post #72 of 540
Not knowing what the next level is a great thing about this hobby. If you have not experienced something you can't miss it. That is the way with subs and HT. Some of us enjoy going to the movies and some want the IMAX experience. Either way, don't forget to have some popcorn and a soft drink.
post #73 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy013 View Post




Lol. You dont need years of experience to know what you like. Most consumers I would assume buy within the first hour of listening (thats what I do), an initial impression of stereo equipment to your ears is what you will buy. (At most a week). That is ofcourse you are a tech junkie with home theatre equipment trying to note every frequency that your equipment is hitting in your movie viewing. That ofcourse comes with a comprimise of not enjoying home theatre for what it is. A time to just enjoy it for what it is to your ears.

Trying to dig into frequency notes hitting while watching a movie, kind of defeats the whole purpose dosent it?
post #74 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Lol. You dont need years of experience to know what you like. Most consumers I would assume buy within the first hour of listening (thats what I do), an initial impression of stereo equipment to your ears is what you will buy. (At most a week). That is ofcourse you are a tech junkie with home theatre equipment trying to note every frequency that your equipment is hitting in your movie viewing. That ofcourse comes with a comprimise of not enjoying home theatre for what it is. A time to just enjoy it for what it is to your ears.

Trying to dig into frequency notes hitting while watching a movie, kind of defeats the whole purpose dosent it?
Dude, you're in the SUBWOOFER FORUM. Your inexperience clearly shows. You've obviously never experienced a capable subwoofer system. If you had, you wouldn't be making these naive comments, especially that last little bit of ignorance. rolleyes.gif

The good news is that ignorance is curable. smile.gif

Craig
post #75 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The good news is that ignorance is curable. smile.gif
 

But expensive.

biggrin.gif

post #76 of 540
He only needs to "experience" a capable subwoofer system to cure the ignorance. Fixing his own system becomes the expensive part. smile.gif

Craig
post #77 of 540
Ignorance is one thing, willful ignorance is quite another. A lot of subwoofers can make booming noises, you don't need top of the line for that. On the other hand, if you want your kick drum to sound like a sharp smack instead of a bug muddy whoomp, you are going to need something better than a $200 BIC. Even things like earthquake recordings have a definition and texture that will get completely lost on a cheap sub. The BIC might be better that a HTiB fartbox in this regard, but it is still a world away from a serious subwoofer. There is also the matter of raw SPL. It would take a big stack of BICs to equal one high end Rythmik or Hsu, but it will never equal the Rythmik and Hsu's sound quality or bass extension. I am no golden ears, but if you can't tell the difference, that is your deal. It reminds me of the people who can not tell the difference between standard definition and 1080p, well at least their lack of visual acuity can save them some money.
post #78 of 540
Quote:
It reminds me of the people who can not tell the difference between standard definition and 1080p, well at least their lack of visual acuity can save them some money.

Seriously shady.. Do you think I ought to upgrade my screen and sub. Heck my sub is as big as my screen the way things are! what to do??? confused.gif




post #79 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Lol. You dont need years of experience to know what you like. Most consumers I would assume buy within the first hour of listening (thats what I do), an initial impression of stereo equipment to your ears is what you will buy. (At most a week). That is ofcourse you are a tech junkie with home theatre equipment trying to note every frequency that your equipment is hitting in your movie viewing. That ofcourse comes with a comprimise of not enjoying home theatre for what it is. A time to just enjoy it for what it is to your ears.

Trying to dig into frequency notes hitting while watching a movie, kind of defeats the whole purpose dosent it?


So if someone wants to upgrade their speakers or subwoofer to something that can better produce the full frequency range, they're somehow not enjoying home theater/music for what it is? What?

So, by your logic, people who want to hear improved quality and fidelity in the movies and music they love, are "tech junkies" missing out on what's important.

That just sounds completely backwards to me. I really think you need to demo a higher quality sub in your home, next to your Bic. Until you truly experience a good subwoofer, you'll continue to think it's all hype and worthless.
post #80 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Seriously shady.. Do you think I ought to upgrade my screen and sub. Heck my sub is as big as my screen the way things are! what to do??? confused.gif
I think that you should make a sub so big that its grill doubles as an acoustically transparent projector screen.
post #81 of 540
Here's Brian going on about speakers in another thread:

I agree with you. I do not know how to read audio graphs but I will tell you how its like in plain english for avergage joe viewers.

First, the HSU hits you with a bam with the huge soundstage. Thats where you go "wow" because its so large and full, its not like neutral speakers. You think home theatre audio set-up, and in the shallow aspect of things, its a no brainer you would start wanting a Theatre-like sound. But the bad thing about this is, can you really live with theatre sound 24/7? Some sounds like sports and normal broadcasting you want a LIVELY sound. And if its full and the soundstage is huge ADDED with warmth (Hsu) then itll be like watching live television in a theatre. I think eventually you will get sick of it.
The HSU's are a closed system speakers.

The more laid pack and neutral speakers (CBM- 170SE) does not wow you at all. It somewhat puts a smile in your face instead

With laid back speakers (CBM-170SE speciafically), I figure since the fullness and the wide soundstage is somewhat replaced with airiness and openness the speakers emphasized on detail and clarity. I dont think you can have much clarity plainly speaking with warmth. All the voices and tones are DOWNTONED, so ofcourse its not going to be as detailed clear.

Warmth of sounds always has a little bit of BUZZNESS addedd to the tone, therefore, detail will get comprised as well as clarity.

Clarity can only come with openness. And vice versa, you cannot have warmth with openness (airy).

I think for a person that watches T.V once or twice a week and strictly movies, the HSU's will be perfect, otherwise one should look into the Acsends instead.

The WOW factor the warm, big, forward speakers bring will be gone after the first few times and eventually youll be with a closed system without much dynamics.
Edited by Brian323 - Yesterday at 1:09 am


It's almost as if he expects tv speaker type sound, like bass bugs him or something. His expressions are a bit weird, assume English is not his native language which may not help.
post #82 of 540
Quote:
I think that you should make a sub so big that its grill doubles as an acoustically transparent projector screen.

Ha ha.. Good advice. Yeah that's what I'll do! wink.gif Ok back to reg programing.........
post #83 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Here's Brian going on about speakers in another thread:

I agree with you. I do not know how to read audio graphs but I will tell you how its like in plain english for avergage joe viewers.

First, the HSU hits you with a bam with the huge soundstage. Thats where you go "wow" because its so large and full, its not like neutral speakers. You think home theatre audio set-up, and in the shallow aspect of things, its a no brainer you would start wanting a Theatre-like sound. But the bad thing about this is, can you really live with theatre sound 24/7? Some sounds like sports and normal broadcasting you want a LIVELY sound. And if its full and the soundstage is huge ADDED with warmth (Hsu) then itll be like watching live television in a theatre. I think eventually you will get sick of it.
The HSU's are a closed system speakers.

The more laid pack and neutral speakers (CBM- 170SE) does not wow you at all. It somewhat puts a smile in your face instead

With laid back speakers (CBM-170SE speciafically), I figure since the fullness and the wide soundstage is somewhat replaced with airiness and openness the speakers emphasized on detail and clarity. I dont think you can have much clarity plainly speaking with warmth. All the voices and tones are DOWNTONED, so ofcourse its not going to be as detailed clear.

Warmth of sounds always has a little bit of BUZZNESS addedd to the tone, therefore, detail will get comprised as well as clarity.

Clarity can only come with openness. And vice versa, you cannot have warmth with openness (airy).

I think for a person that watches T.V once or twice a week and strictly movies, the HSU's will be perfect, otherwise one should look into the Acsends instead.

The WOW factor the warm, big, forward speakers bring will be gone after the first few times and eventually youll be with a closed system without much dynamics.
Edited by Brian323 - Yesterday at 1:09 am


It's almost as if he expects tv speaker type sound, like bass bugs him or something. His expressions are a bit weird, assume English is not his native language which may not help.


Why would you quote what I typed on another completely different forum and put it here. I think YOU are weird for doing that lol.

Bass DOES bug me when watching movies. An out of place THUMP annoys me alot. It just takes away from the movie vieweing experience at times when you hear a big thump and your furniture rattles. It just sticks out and and feels like its out of place.

I can almost say for a fact than all the BIC owners dont even turn the sub up half way when viewing movies at home. (or any type of tv source for that matter). A sub that costs $1000 is plainly a waste if you leave it at 3/10 volume at all times. I even leave my $200 BIC at 3/10 of the volume most of the time when vieweing movies and it sounds clear and good to me. Again, I see no point in getting a better sub woofer than a $200.00 - $300.00 price range. In other words, since "Hsu" is regarded as a well reviewed subwoofer, I wouldnt go above the entry level HSU subwoofer. Or get 2x HSU entry level subwoofer over a top of the line 1x Hsu subwoofer. Again, there is 2 subwoofer working rather than 1. When the basic prinicipal of the sub woofer is to bring you the PUNCH when needed and low PRESENCE and thats all there realy is TO IT to a subwoofer, logically and simply speaking, two will bring you more than one. There arent 1000 notes that are being played in a subwoofer (speaker and center YEAH) only 2. PUNCH and low PRESNCE, that is all.

A poster compared a drum kick to a booming something and related it as to the subwoofer. No, I dont think thats the case, the differntial between a drum kick and a boom something (as you compared it) will have ALAOT more to do with your speakers. Not your subwoofer.

The subwoofer will add range and a LITTLE TINY BIT of depth to the note, that is all. A subwoofer wont make a drumk kick sound like a piano playing. It has NOTHING to do with it. Its all from the speakers my friend.

I think you are rather talking about the PUNCH? in this case, a BIC H100 does absoultely FINE with that. If I turn up the BIC (which is $200 again volume, itll PUNCH me on my chest all day long. Not to mention I can absoultely FEEL the sub crawl on my body when a movie scene allows that particular sound to be sourced.

And againl, all this coming from a well reviwed $200.00 sub. Maybe the BIC is a genius, and a great price for its capabilities. Might as well get 3-4 BIC's over 1 rythmic's or outlaw.

Compared to speakers, the bass heads here are saying they are willing to spend $1000 to hear an extra small one bird chirp that gets played in the backround that a lesser priced speaker wont put out. A small tiny sound that is millisecond out of a 2 hour movie.

Who are you kidding?
Edited by Brian323 - 6/2/13 at 6:19pm
post #84 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

How many times do you watch a film contaiing earthquakes and thunder? Maybe a couple flicks. At the price to hear an accurate thunder and earthquake for $1000+? NOT a smart shopper.

You dont need a $1000+ sub-woofer to hear an accurate detail of an earthquake or a thunder, a thunder is a thunder, its just a rumble, thats all there is. Even real life thunder sounds different at all times, therefore you will never get an accurate sound of an earthquake or a thunder, however, from this post, you will accuraelty hear ONE particular sound of a thunder the movie makers intended to put in there. Will you really spend $1000+ to hear an accurate RUMBLING sound? I wouldn't. Again, I woulod rather spend the money on a good center channel which is about %70-80 of your home theatre experience.

However, one thing Iearned through this thread is that I should have bought 2x $200 subwoofer than 1x $400 subwoofer. (considering the $200 subwoofer is an well reviewed subwoofer.)
I don't think it has to do with how often these particular sounds are heard. I think what it is about is whether you want accurate representation when the time comes to doing so.

The problem with your take on it is that I'm pretty sure there are no cheap alternatives when it comes to reproducing those lower frequencies. I think you should re-name your topic to "you don't need to spend over x dollars if you only want to reproduce y frequency at z spl" because your blanket statement fails.
post #85 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I don't think it has to do with how often these particular sounds are heard. I think what it is about is whether you want accurate representation when the time comes to doing so.

The problem with your take on it is that I'm pretty sure there are no cheap alternatives when it comes to reproducing those lower frequencies. I think you should re-name your topic to "you don't need to spend over x dollars if you only want to reproduce y frequency at z spl" because your blanket statement fails.


With all due respect, home audio IS about blanket statements. Its all about whats best for your own personal ears. However, my personal experience with Sierreca Ascend 170SE's and Hsu HB1- Mk-2's were about the same as some other posters on this forum have mentioned in their experience. From what I remember, they were averge Joe's who explained their experience by the ear, (not frequencies) and they were spot on. Again, this thread is for the Average ear who dosent dedictae themselves to a home theatre build. Just a casual listener who wants to kick back and just listen to good sound.


As far as the subwoofer goes, I completely forgot that I have a Auralex Subdue under my BIC sub. Maybe thats adding alot of clarity and and depth to my subwoofer. Again, I personally BARELY heard any difference between the BIC-H100 and the top of the line Rythmic and Hsu. If the Aurelex is doing the extra work, spend $50.00 more and you got a Sub set that is on the level with a $1000+ subs with a price paid of $250.00
Edited by Brian323 - 6/2/13 at 7:04pm
post #86 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I don't think it has to do with how often these particular sounds are heard. I think what it is about is whether you want accurate representation when the time comes to doing so.

The problem with your take on it is that I'm pretty sure there are no cheap alternatives when it comes to reproducing those lower frequencies. I think you should re-name your topic to "you don't need to spend over x dollars if you only want to reproduce y frequency at z spl" because your blanket statement fails.


With all due respect, home audio IS about blanket statements. Its all about whats best for your own personal ears. However, my personal experience with Sierreca Ascend 170SE's and Hsu HB1- Mk-2's were about the same as some other posters on this forum have mentioned in their experience. From what I remember, they were averge Joe's who explained their experience by the ear, (not frequencies) and they were spot on. Again, this thread is for the Average ear who dosent dedictae themselves to a home theatre build. Just a casual listener who wants to kick back and just listen to good sound.


As far as the subwoofer goes, I completely forgot that I have a Auralex Subdue under my BIC sub. Maybe thats adding alot of clarity and and depth to my subwoofer. Again, I personally BARELY heard any difference between the BIC-H100 and the top of the line Rythmic and Hsu. If the Aurelex is doing the extra work, spend $50.00 more and you got a Sub set that is on the level with a $1000+ subs with a price paid of $250.00

I think you should stop now. You're just embarassing yourself.
post #87 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I think you should stop now. You're just embarassing yourself.


Dude, I am just explaining my personal experience and what I think. There isnt anything to be emberrased about in the first place. If you are angry with yourself for spending $1000+ on a sub, just sell it on ebay or return it and buy yourself 3-4 subs (with Aurelex placed underneath) then you'll be MUCH happier IMHO

I did take the Aurelex out and played a few scenes and to my ears, it was more loose and not as much punch to the bass. WITH Aurelex, its close to the higher end Hsu's I demoed. No joke.

If this is about money (like another poster mentioned it being so) I think it is wiser one gets a decent to good sub and add a Aurelex. This thread isnt about how powerful a sub plays, as all know, a higher end sub will play louder (ofcourse, its bigger) but who plays a sub that loud that your ear strats to bleed and your chest gets pounded like your having a heartattack.

Most if not all in my age range live in apartments and condos (20's to early 30) and cant even PLAY It that loud to begin with. I think ultimately, and low to mid levels, all sub woofer will sound somewhat the same. Atleast that was with my experience between my BIC and a high end Hsu and Rythmic. (With aurelex underneath)
Edited by Brian323 - 6/2/13 at 7:57pm
post #88 of 540
http://theuggly.net/wordpress-1/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/52187-Picard-Facepalm-gif-nxOM.gif
post #89 of 540
biggrin.gif So many wildly amusing, false statements from you Brian biggrin.gif

Maybe if I sprinkle magic dust on my speakers they will sound like much more expensive ones.

Enough with the false information, and how can you see the words when writing your posts past all of the squiggly red lines? rolleyes.gif
post #90 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think that you should make a sub so big that its grill doubles as an acoustically transparent projector screen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subwoofer sound