or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak - Page 8

post #211 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

yeah, I bet it's like Mass Effect. Mass Effect was Microsoft only for the longest time. Then EA bought Bioware and Mass Effect 2 and 3 were multiplatform. Then later ME1 was ported.

Sony owners better pray that Respawn publishes the sequel on non-Microsoft platforms. Could be like a Gears of War situation. They own the IP but it stays Microsoft.

smile.gif

Why worry, it's coming to PC in 1080P.
post #212 of 3209
Zampella clarified on Twitter that it's just the first Titanfall. So that means sequels could go PS4. So yeah... kinda' like EA did with Mass Effect. biggrin.gif
post #213 of 3209
It was EA that made the deal for lifetime exclusive on Xbox. They probably made MS pay a ransom for that!

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Like Halo did for the original Xbox, this game could single handed sell the Xbox One. MS knows money talks.
post #214 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Zampella clarified on Twitter that it's just the first Titanfall. So that means sequels could go PS4. So yeah... kinda' like EA did with Mass Effect. biggrin.gif

Look at the sales of Mass Effect plus sequels. Even though sequels came out on the PS3, the sales were way higher on Xbox. Apparently the same happened with Bioshock. Seems like the original console choice ends up being the best seller.





Bioshock sales numbers. About 50% more sales on the Xbox

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=bioshock&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200
post #215 of 3209
that's what happens with timed exclusives. sales for the secondary platforms suffer like with Mass Effect, Bioshock, Joe Danger, etc. If the title is perceived as specific to a platform, when the next platform gets the title, sales are lower. no one wants to be perceived as getting sloppy seconds. Some great Playstation titles did poorly on Xbox when released late. Vice versa happened as well. Throw in all the DLC "for free", update the graphics, etc., sales will still be lower.

Even if Uncharted came to the Xbox, sales will be far lower than they were on Playstation.
post #216 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

So we're clear, EA has nothing to do with making Titanfall. They're just the publisher and Respawn isn't part of EA's internal studios. They're basically just handling marketing and production of the discs.

looks like EA has a lot of control.. i like how vince makes a sad face on twitter when saying he got told by EA what was going on with his (well obviously not really his) game!
post #217 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

looks like EA has a lot of control.. i like how vince makes a sad face on twitter when saying he got told by EA what was going on with his (well obviously not really his) game!

you expect him to have a happy face? never make enemies with potential customers down the line. #1 rule of business. when in doubt, be vague and let the customers think that you will service them.
post #218 of 3209
Announcements like this are EXACTLY why I just buy both consoles from the start. Exclusivity is no problem for people like me who will be able to play the most popular titles on both sides of the fence.

I know everyone doesnt have, nor want, to drop $900 on gaming consoles. But as I said before, I'd like to see someone show me another $900 consumer electronic device combo.. capble of providing as much entertainment as these combine consoles will provide over the next 5 years.
post #219 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Announcements like this are EXACTLY why I just buy both consoles from the start. Exclusivity is no problem for people like me who will be able to play the most popular titles on both sides of the fence.

I know everyone doesnt have, nor want, to drop $900 on gaming consoles. But as I said before, I'd like to see someone show me another $900 consumer electronic device combo.. capble of providing as much entertainment as these combine consoles will provide over the next 5 years.

i agree, but my problem is that i refuse to pay both companies for online MP. as it is i cut cable a long time ago.
post #220 of 3209
Ahem.

So how unbelievable was it that Titanfall would be a Microsoft exclusive?

wink.gif
post #221 of 3209


Saw this today and it made me laugh pretty hard.
post #222 of 3209
this is what they're using the cloud for... besides all the benefits of dedicated servers...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-respawn-the-titanfall-interview

Digital Foundry: So what are you actually doing with the cloud? It's more than just a dedicated server, right?

Drew McCoy: Right, so all the AI is server-side, the physics... Well, some of the physics are still client-side.

Digital Foundry: With the speed of the action, you can't wait 100ms to see something play out. So there's still an element of client-side prediction?

Drew McCoy: Oh yeah, you have to. Even running a listen server - you know, playing on a server you're running - on any game there's still latency between the server and the client and without prediction there's still a weird feeling of disconnect. Prediction exists no matter what.

Digital Foundry: So now you're fully dedicated.

Drew McCoy: Yes. It's fairer. It's faster. It reduces headaches with parties and matchmaking, you don't need to worry about NAT traversals, host migrations. It frees up quite a bit of CPU time. On a client-hosted game anyone can be the server so you can't assume we have all CPU and memory resources available for the client. So you have to say, OK we'll set aside whatever it is - one, 10, 15% of CPU time - in case they are the server. Now we know that the client won't be running the server at all, so we have all available resources.

Digital Foundry: Physics - what is tracked server-side and client-side?

Drew McCoy: There are various types. I think ragdolls are client-side as they don't have any impact on gameplay. If it has an impact on gameplay we'll want it to be server coordinated. If it's not, like shooting a Titan with a rocket and pieces of him fall off, we'll run it client-side.


and for those who want to read Respawn's full text about the benefits of Xbox's setup:

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/
post #223 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

It was EA that made the deal for lifetime exclusive on Xbox. They probably made MS pay a ransom for that!

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Like Halo did for the original Xbox, this game could single handed sell the Xbox One. MS knows money talks.

I agree this game could be a windfall for MS. I think they should give the devs everything they need and more at this point, if they haven't already. I do hope the game is good, and I hope that turns out good for MS and the gaming community. I'm a little disappointed in BF4 initially, but I will play it a ton and probably end up still liking it. But I do hope this game ends up very special for the gaming community. I'm not sure if I personally would like fighting AI vs a regular human being, so I am still curious as to how this game will play when it comes out.
post #224 of 3209
saw this piece...
post #225 of 3209
New rumors that MS bought Titanfall. I doubt it's true, but it would be interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715904
post #226 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

New rumors that MS bought Titanfall. I doubt it's true, but it would be interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715904

I doubt it. No reason for them to buy the franchise when they already have the exclusive locked down, I'm sure they'd want to wait and see how the first one does.

It'll be a sad day if true though.
post #227 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I doubt it. No reason for them to buy the franchise when they already have the exclusive locked down, I'm sure they'd want to wait and see how the first one does.

It'll be a sad day if true though.

Well that link was updated with a twitter post:
post #228 of 3209
I wonder if there is something going on that Vince doesn't know about. After all, he thought Titanfall was only a launch exclusive for Xbox.
post #229 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I wonder if there is something going on that Vince doesn't know about. After all, he thought Titanfall was only a launch exclusive for Xbox.

good point, considering he got told by EA that the first titanfall was MS exclusive, it could happen again..
post #230 of 3209
In reality, why would he care? They would have to be paid as well as going all platform release. They could concentrate on making the best game by learning one console inside and out. He can still be creative, and it would sell XOnes. If Titanfall is as good as it seems, he will do fine.
post #231 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I doubt it. No reason for them to buy the franchise when they already have the exclusive locked down, I'm sure they'd want to wait and see how the first one does.

It'll be a sad day if true though.

why would it be sad to a multi-console owner? or an Xbox One owner? or a 360 owner? or a Windows owner?
post #232 of 3209
Playing titanfall on 360 would be pointless. Just wait for reactions from PS4 owners who played battlefield 4 on both last and new gen. There will be a huge difference IMO
post #233 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

why would it be sad to a multi-console owner? or an Xbox One owner? or a 360 owner? or a Windows owner?

Because I'm looking forward to the day when console exclusives no longer exist. The fact that people with nearly identical systems can't just go to a store, buy a game and play with their friends without having to worry about which platform everyone is playing on is really frustrating. This wasn't a problem last generational leap because online gaming wasn't a huge thing, but now it's front and center and it's really raining on the parade as I watch people and friends who used to be able to play together get split up. It doesn't benefit gamers in any way, and every big exclusive just perpetuates the cycle.
post #234 of 3209
As much as I feel for you on losing friends, I don't want a one console system. Microsoft and Sony push each other to do better than the other. Live has created the PS4's online system to what you will be getting tomorrow. Live users are benefiting from free games that Sony introduced with PS+. Fact is most gamers don't know what they want until one of the big two introduces it. Party chat seems like a no brainer but the PS3 couldn't do it because it wasn't designed to.

Competition is good, great exclusives are good (It's why I buy both systems). I need reasons to buy both systems and great games are it. I could care less about graphical differences when both are close enough to each other that you really can't tell without a detailed video telling you what to look for. I don't have two TVs setup next to each other so I can compare and I don't care to. Features wise the Xbox system has treated me well so that is why I am going XO first. Once second son comes out I will be a PS4 owner and I can pick and choose which games to buy on which system.

I hear you, I do, but gaming is what it is because systems have exclusives that drive sales.
post #235 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

As much as I feel for you on losing friends, I don't want a one console system. Microsoft and Sony push each other to do better than the other. Live has created the PS4's online system to what you will be getting tomorrow. Live users are benefiting from free games that Sony introduced with PS+. Fact is most gamers don't know what they want until one of the big two introduces it. Party chat seems like a no brainer but the PS3 couldn't do it because it wasn't designed to.

Competition is good, great exclusives are good (It's why I buy both systems). I need reasons to buy both systems and great games are it. I could care less about graphical differences when both are close enough to each other that you really can't tell without a detailed video telling you what to look for. I don't have two TVs setup next to each other so I can compare and I don't care to. Features wise the Xbox system has treated me well so that is why I am going XO first. Once second son comes out I will be a PS4 owner and I can pick and choose which games to buy on which system.

I hear you, I do, but gaming is what it is because systems have exclusives that drive sales.

Having the game discs and network connectivity compatible with each other doesn't preclude competition in any way. They can still compete on dozens of different factors just like every other category of consumer electronics. It's an artificial divide, and the time for it to end is overdue.
post #236 of 3209
Looking at their systems with Xbox live a closed system (not sure with Sony but I imagine the same), they would have to share their assets which is never happening. They are proprietary and a major part of what makes each system unique.

This isn't a cell phone system built to a certain standard that all can use. Each system is built specifically for that console.

I would love it too but I just see no way it ever happen.
post #237 of 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Looking at their systems with Xbox live a closed system (not sure with Sony but I imagine the same), they would have to share their assets which is never happening. They are proprietary and a major part of what makes each system unique.

This isn't a cell phone system built to a certain standard that all can use. Each system is built specifically for that console.

I would love it too but I just see no way it ever happen.

 

 

Yeah...but it could be.  Maybe Sony and MS don't get to dictate the future of gaming when it eventually happens. But just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean it always has to be. Something completely open and free for everyone to use like SteamOS is the best case scenario. They can bolt their UI and storefront on top of the base OS just like carriers do with android, and people will decide from there if it's worthwhile.  The xbox one could practically exist exactly as it is, kinect and all, but there'd be no more divide between XBL and PSN users, or X1 and PS4 games. 

 

Ah well, it's a nice thought. I suppose you'll be able to play titanfall on a steam machine just fine as long as you install windows.

post #238 of 3209
post #239 of 3209
I gotta say this looks bada$$. Don't having to do a MP campaign before I can play actual MP though but oh well.
post #240 of 3209
In the game mode Hard Point (Domination) the way you achieve a Titian is by earning points. One method of earning points is by capturing A,B,C
Maybe this will encourage people to go for the win instead of just going for kills. Stat whores wont be rewarded a Titan hehe tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak