or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › A Good Day to Die Hard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Good Day to Die Hard

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Watched this last night and it was pretty much as expected. The film itself I found to be rather meh. The storyline was half decent, but I have to say all of the characters seemed very two-dimensional. The bad guys were completely forgettable, and I was really wishing for some sort of background story between father and son that would allow me to feel more connected to their characters.

As far as AV goes, the picture quality was great if not quite reference quality. There was some nice film grain, further enhanced (some may feel negatively) by my Darbee. A pretty sharp image overall despite having a lot of dark shots. But what's up with the aspect ratio? All the other Die Hard films were shot in 2.4:1 and this one is 1.85:1. That was disappointing, as I always feel that scope movies have a more epic feel to them. At any rate, the audio was pure bliss. Dimensionality abounded, and there was plenty of bass for those bassaholics. My friend noted that you could actually feel the weight of the gun shots. There were plenty of guns throughout, from pistols to machine guns, to helicopter gunners. All had such great impact, especially the ones from the helicopter - just amazing. The stunts were top notch and they must have spent much of their budget on crashes and explosions. Overall I found it to be an action-packed, short yet lifeless action flick not really up to par with what I would expect from the Die Hard series.
Edited by blastermaster - 6/6/13 at 1:35pm
post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

As far as AV goes, the picture quality was great if not quite reference quality.

I'd be more impressed with it if the movie's photography had any colors other than teal.
Quote:
But what's up with the aspect ratio? All the other Die Hard films were shot in 2.4:1 and this one is 1.85:1. That was disappointing, as I always feel that scope movies have a more epic feel to them.

Pure laziness. The hack in charge of this one couldn't be bothered. Absolutely no one involved in the production of this movie gave the slightest damn about anything they were doing.
post #3 of 39
Thanks for the report. If nothing else at least care went into the audio side from all indications I have read. Guess I will just focus on that side of things when I give this a spin. cool.gif
post #4 of 39
Not the biggest DH fan out there, but am a massive advocate of the series.

I will say this movie gave me one or two hearty moments that made me feel like I was back in DH1. Outside of those two moments, no amount of unoriginal action would help satisfy my needs with this film. I just didn't like it, and it really does pain me to say that. I had high hopes for it, to be honest.

The one saving grace was it was rated R. I liked that they didn't make this a complete cash grab and decided to attach balls to the project.
post #5 of 39
The aspect ratio was the directors choice, partially because of all the hand held camera work. He felt by using 1:85 that there would be less sea-sickness effect. Also most of the buildings in Moscow are not super tall. I don't have a link to a web site but you can check the web for what John Moore has to say about this movie.
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I'd be more impressed with it if the movie's photography had any colors other than teal.

It's funny you say that. There was one point where I was like, "why is that guys face green?" Yeah the palette sucked, but it was pretty sharp is what I was getting at I guess.
Quote:
The one saving grace was it was rated R. I liked that they didn't make this a complete cash grab and decided to attach balls to the project.

Agreed. I'm hoping that this could be a trend. I hate seeing movies that really should be rated R and are instead pg-13 in order to cater to the masses (read: $$$). After reading the Hunger Games series I was thinking how wonderfully gory those movies could be. Not so, apparently.
post #7 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
The aspect ratio was the directors choice, partially because of all the hand held camera work

The Bourne Supremacy was way worse in terms of the shaky cam effect (which I'm getting pretty tired of, but not as much as lens flare - don't get me started), but it was still in scope. Directors should be cognizant of previous iterations of the series and make their imprint within the framework of what's been done in the past. Case in point, all of the Harry Potter movies have the same theme song. Latter directors may not have liked it but they kept it as it is a comfortable, known and expected theme. If every new director made the theme song different, can you imagine how disjointed it would feel? Most every Harry Potter movie did feel different, but it was still Harry Potter. Apart from the actor(s) this didn't feel like a Die Hard movie. And I want my damned scope! smile.gif
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

The aspect ratio was the directors choice, partially because of all the hand held camera work.

Thanks for that info, that saves me from a wasted rental.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

The Bourne Supremacy was way worse in terms of the shaky cam effect (which I'm getting pretty tired of, but not as much as lens flare - don't get me started), but it was still in scope. Directors should be cognizant of previous iterations of the series and make their imprint within the framework of what's been done in the past. Case in point, all of the Harry Potter movies have the same theme song. Latter directors may not have liked it but they kept it as it is a comfortable, known and expected theme. If every new director made the theme song different, can you imagine how disjointed it would feel? Most every Harry Potter movie did feel different, but it was still Harry Potter. Apart from the actor(s) this didn't feel like a Die Hard movie. And I want my damned scope! smile.gif

Agreed. I think its terrible for a film series that has always been scope to suddenly switch aspects on the 5th installment. frown.gif
post #10 of 39
I take it you always skip Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Spider-Man and the non-scope Bond movies? wink.gif
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Absolutely no one involved in the production of this movie gave the slightest damn about anything they were doing.
I doubt that. The film might suck (haven't seen it. it's the first in the series I did not see in a theater) but anyone working on a film of this scale will want it to be a hit. The problem is the hacks making the last few DIE HARD films don't understand what made DIE HARD so amazing.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

I take it you always skip Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Spider-Man and the non-scope Bond movies? wink.gif

A series that has always been either 1.78/85 or scope should remain that way IMO. Changing from one aspect to another 5 films in gives a lack of continuity type of feeling. I was planning on doing a double feature with LFODH and this fifth film and going from scope down to 1.85 is going to feel disjointed.
Edited by Toe - 6/7/13 at 8:53am
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

I take it you always skip Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Spider-Man and the non-scope Bond movies? wink.gif

All of the Lethal Weapon movies are scope, IIRC.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I doubt that. The film might suck (haven't seen it. it's the first in the series I did not see in a theater) but anyone working on a film of this scale will want it to be a hit. The problem is the hacks making the last few DIE HARD films don't understand what made DIE HARD so amazing.

Perhaps some of the crew might have tried to do a professional job, but the key creative members - director John Moore, screenwriter Skip Woods, and especially Bruce Willis - half-assed this from start to finish. It's painfully visible in the movie that Willis is only coasting through the production to cash an easy paycheck.

John McClane isn't even the lead character in the movie. He takes a backseat to his son and just tags along, getting in the way and making things worse for everyone.
post #15 of 39
a pass for me....not even a rental. I'm really tired of all this pumped-up, hack job GARBAGE. sorry, end of rant wink.giftongue.gif
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

John McClane isn't even the lead character in the movie. He takes a backseat to his son and just tags along, getting in the way and making things worse for everyone.
After posting earlier I hit the local RED BOX and snagged the Blu-Ray. Just finished it. Wow. What a turd. WTF was up with the spaz-cam? It made me motion sick within a half hour. All that money spent and yet to a single steadicam was available?

It was as if the filmmakers decided to stage the action in the exact opposite manner that made the first two films so successful.

And yes, Willis was literally a supporting character in his own film. eek.gif

This was such a turd.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

After posting earlier I hit the local RED BOX and snagged the Blu-Ray. Just finished it. Wow. What a turd. WTF was up with the spaz-cam? It made me motion sick within a half hour. All that money spent and yet to a single steadicam was available?

It was as if the filmmakers decided to stage the action in the exact opposite manner that made the first two films so successful.

And yes, Willis was literally a supporting character in his own film. eek.gif

This was such a turd.

Surprised you were able to get this at redbox since it and Netflix have the one month delay for this title (July 2nd). Does Redbox work differently in NY?

How was the audio?
post #18 of 39
I for one enjoyed the story and the Blu-ray, the story was much better than DH2 which was bleck. As for the Blu-ray PQ and AQ I was very pleased. it was very sharp (though perhaps not as sharp as DH4) and the audio was great/reference. We have an outstanding audio system and DH5's 7.1 surround recording was well balanced, dialog was well placed and easy to understand and many of the actions sequences had our house rocking and booming.

There are plenty of extras in the Blu-ray and as for the "teal" palette some are complaining about, if you listen to the director, it was chosen for a reason = to accentuate the corrupt underbelly of Moscow, the nefarious people McClain was dealing with and the desolation of Chernobyl. All you have to do is look at actual pictures of the desolate Chernobyl ghost town, the color palette chosen captured it very well. The place isn't Disney World. I have been to Moscow a number of times and there are days when the grey teal blue presented in the film is very close to the actual hue of the place when they have grey overcast days (It is the same in Saint Petersburg and in Kiev as well).

Regarding the complaint that the son played a major role... that was true and intentional because it was his mission which got blown and like it or not, "Dad" McClain who was "on vacation" because he was there out of concern for his seemingly wayward son is getting old ...like the rest of us. Yet he held his own and saved "Junior's" bacon on several occasions while teaching him some very valuable life lessons how to deal with terrorists because he has had a lot more experience in the matter.

Others complained that the story was "two dimensional". Since when haven't they been subsequent to DH1 which was superlative. I went into DH5 expecting to see John McClain encounter bad guys, difficult circumstances, lots of action, wonderful weapons and John McClain surviving impossible real-world circumstances with some comical quips thrown in at just the right time for effect. The film succeeded on all of these points. Was it perfect? No, but none of them have been since DH1. It succeeded financially and another one is now in the works for 2015.
post #19 of 39
Really? That's weird. I actually just returned it at the red Box. Hopefully I didn't just get Red Box into trouble. eek.gif

Audio was fine. But I really didn't pay much attention since I hated the film so much. All I could think was how far the series had fallen.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

All of the Lethal Weapon movies are scope, IIRC.

First one was 1.85 flat.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I for one enjoyed the story and the Blu-ray, the story was much better than DH2 which was bleck. As for the Blu-ray PQ and AQ I was very pleased. it was very sharp (though perhaps not as sharp as DH4) and the audio was great/reference. We have an outstanding audio system and DH5's 7.1 surround recording was well balanced, dialog was well placed and easy to understand and many of the actions sequences had our house rocking and booming.

There are plenty of extras in the Blu-ray and as for the "teal" palette some are complaining about, if you listen to the director, it was chosen for a reason = to accentuate the corrupt underbelly of Moscow, the nefarious people McClain was dealing with and the desolation of Chernobyl. All you have to do is look at actual pictures of the desolate Chernobyl ghost town, the color palette chosen captured it very well. The place isn't Disney World. I have been to Moscow a number of times and there are days when the grey teal blue presented in the film is very close to the actual hue of the place when they have grey overcast days (It is the same in Saint Petersburg and in Kiev as well).

Regarding the complaint that the son played a major role... that was true and intentional because it was his mission which got blown and like it or not, "Dad" McClain who was "on vacation" because he was there out of concern for his seemingly wayward son is getting old ...like the rest of us. Yet he held his own and saved "Junior's" bacon on several occasions while teaching him some very valuable life lessons how to deal with terrorists because he has had a lot more experience in the matter.

Others complained that the story was "two dimensional". Since when haven't they been subsequent to DH1 which was superlative. I went into DH5 expecting to see John McClain encounter bad guys, difficult circumstances, lots of action, wonderful weapons and John McClain surviving impossible real-world circumstances with some comical quips thrown in at just the right time for effect. The film succeeded on all of these points. Was it perfect? No, but none of them have been since DH1. It succeeded financially and another one is now in the works for 2015.

While I have not yet been to Moscow, I have been in St. Petersburg, and it looks nothing like what Moscow looks like in terms of color in this film. IN fact, nothing does. nature does NOT have a teal/orange tint. Look at the HD video shots on set during the extras to see the accurate colors on set. I fully understand the tinting of colors for effect, just as in painting on a canvas. However, it is about as far way from reality as one can get.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

All of the Lethal Weapon movies are scope, IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

First one was 1.85 flat.

Indeed. And not that hard to verify, quite frankly.

Good to see that McClane and Khan from Star Trek have something in common, as people keep spelling their damn names wrong.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I for one enjoyed the story and the Blu-ray, the story was much better than DH2 which was bleck.
Haven't seen this one yet but Die Hard 2 is a criminally underrated sequel. I hated it at first but with a second viewing came prospective and now I love it. Bruce is great, it has a very good assembled supporting cast with memorable characters, clever writing, beautiful cinematography and excellent stunts and action with strong direction. Sure some of the plot elements are recycled and redundant from the orignal, but its jammed packed entertainment as far as I'm concern. Die Hard 2 is now my favorite of all the sequels (of course the orignal overall is still the best.)
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post

Haven't seen this one yet but Die Hard 2 is a criminally underrated sequel. I hated it at first but with a second viewing came prospective and now I love it. Bruce is great, it has a very good assembled supporting cast with memorable characters, clever writing, beautiful cinematography and excellent stunts and action with strong direction. Sure some of the plot elements are recycled and redundant from the orignal, but its jammed packed entertainment as far as I'm concern. Die Hard 2 is now my favorite of all the sequels (of course the orignal overall is still the best.)

a big +1
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
There are plenty of extras in the Blu-ray and as for the "teal" palette some are complaining about, if you listen to the director, it was chosen for a reason = to accentuate the corrupt underbelly of Moscow, the nefarious people McClain was dealing with and the desolation of Chernobyl.

Fair enough, but taken to the point where people's faces look green is overkill.
Quote:
Others complained that the story was "two dimensional"

I said the characters were two dimensional. The story itself is actually pretty decent. However, as said before, completely forgettable bad guys and a very poor connection between the two main characters really ruined a potentially good DH movie.

Also, I'm used to the sarcasm of John McClane when he has a running dialogue with himself. That's also missing. Anyone else care to chime in as to what they feel is missing that makes it not feel like a DH movie? It is still a serviceable movie, IMHO, but not a DH movie.
post #26 of 39
Color!



[Edit: Yes, that's a screen shot] Ugh. You can sit there and talk about representing Moscow's underbelly all day. The reality is it also looks like Underworld, Transformers, and every action movie of the past five years. There's no difference.
Edited by Gamereviewgod - 6/10/13 at 2:58pm
post #27 of 39
Re: Lethal Weapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

First one was 1.85 flat.

Shoot, you're absolutely right. I had a brain fart there, sorry.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I for one enjoyed the story and the Blu-ray, the story was much better than DH2 which was bleck. As for the Blu-ray PQ and AQ I was very pleased. it was very sharp (though perhaps not as sharp as DH4) and the audio was great/reference. We have an outstanding audio system and DH5's 7.1 surround recording was well balanced, dialog was well placed and easy to understand and many of the actions sequences had our house rocking and booming.

There are plenty of extras in the Blu-ray and as for the "teal" palette some are complaining about, if you listen to the director, it was chosen for a reason = to accentuate the corrupt underbelly of Moscow, the nefarious people McClain was dealing with and the desolation of Chernobyl. All you have to do is look at actual pictures of the desolate Chernobyl ghost town, the color palette chosen captured it very well. The place isn't Disney World. I have been to Moscow a number of times and there are days when the grey teal blue presented in the film is very close to the actual hue of the place when they have grey overcast days (It is the same in Saint Petersburg and in Kiev as well).

Regarding the complaint that the son played a major role... that was true and intentional because it was his mission which got blown and like it or not, "Dad" McClain who was "on vacation" because he was there out of concern for his seemingly wayward son is getting old ...like the rest of us. Yet he held his own and saved "Junior's" bacon on several occasions while teaching him some very valuable life lessons how to deal with terrorists because he has had a lot more experience in the matter.

Others complained that the story was "two dimensional". Since when haven't they been subsequent to DH1 which was superlative. I went into DH5 expecting to see John McClain encounter bad guys, difficult circumstances, lots of action, wonderful weapons and John McClain surviving impossible real-world circumstances with some comical quips thrown in at just the right time for effect. The film succeeded on all of these points. Was it perfect? No, but none of them have been since DH1. It succeeded financially and another one is now in the works for 2015.

If you work for the marketing department at Fox, you really ought to disclose that information when promoting your product. rolleyes.gif
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

If you work for the marketing department at Fox, you really ought to disclose that information when promoting your product. rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif Nice.
post #30 of 39
LOL

DH2 at least matched the spirit of DH.

Not sure if I'm becoming more cynical as I age, but I find that RLM reviews align with my thoughts quite frequently:
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-a-good-day-to-die-hard/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › A Good Day to Die Hard