or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread - Page 20

post #571 of 598

These are incredible TV's for the money!  Quick, snap them up guys!

post #572 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post

These are incredible TV's for the money!

Agree MegaTechPC, insanely good price for 60" plasma with better picture quality than I expected.
post #573 of 598
So I just picked one of these up from Microcenter in Maryland, killer deal. I do have one quick question. I have seen conflicting info about this on the thread.

I have an old reciever with no HDMI switching. I have my DVR and Blu Ray connected via HDMI to the LG. If I run optical sound direct from the STB or Blu Ray to my receiver, I get 5.1 sound. If I run optical from the TV to the receiver, no 5.1 from either source. Basically I was trying to avoid having to change the receiver mode, was hoping I could just switch TV inputs. Is there any setting I missed that might allow me to force 5.1 from the TV optical out? I tried Auto and PCM from the TV. Anything else?
post #574 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

So I just picked one of these up from Microcenter in Maryland, killer deal. I do have one quick question. I have seen conflicting info about this on the thread.

I have an old reciever with no HDMI switching. I have my DVR and Blu Ray connected via HDMI to the LG. If I run optical sound direct from the STB or Blu Ray to my receiver, I get 5.1 sound. If I run optical from the TV to the receiver, no 5.1 from either source. Basically I was trying to avoid having to change the receiver mode, was hoping I could just switch TV inputs. Is there any setting I missed that might allow me to force 5.1 from the TV optical out? I tried Auto and PCM from the TV. Anything else?
I think you're hitting the same wall most of us have -- so far I don't remember anyone reporting getting 5.1 using the optical from the TV back to the receiver (at least not with an external input going into the TV).

-Matt
post #575 of 598
I get NO 5.1 thru optical out of tv no matter where the input source is coming from (which really sucks for the tv's apps).
post #576 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mark1 View Post

I get NO 5.1 thru optical out of tv no matter where the input source is coming from (which really sucks for the tv's apps).

I thought I got it with TV as source (maybe DLNA or attached hard drive?), but it's entirely possible that I was really getting "fake" 5.1. Either way that's a real head-scratcher that the 5.1 signal is not passed through.

-Matt
post #577 of 598
5.1 trouble= firmware problem?
I only have my 60PN5700 for 2 days and have not tried optical output but my set came with firmware ver xxxx.03 and I updated it to xxxx.10. I do not know what changed at all in the firmware but perhaps this would help if you are on an old 'unfixed" version? Or is the new ver is "broken"?
I have not searched this thread regarding this problem yet.
Good luck and I will be trying to use 5.1 also and will report back.
Edited by dmark - 3/31/14 at 1:08pm
post #578 of 598
None of the firmware updates so far have changed anything to do with no 5.1 optical out. I doubt any will, but it would be nice.
post #579 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

I thought I got it with TV as source (maybe DLNA or attached hard drive?), but it's entirely possible that I was really getting "fake" 5.1. Either way that's a real head-scratcher that the 5.1 signal is not passed through.

-Matt

I am at work so can't recheck, but am 99.9% sure I was able to get 5.1 and DTS playing an MKV file off a USB drive yesterday. Just nothing but 2.1 from anything connected via HDMI. Which is a pity, but certainly not a deal breaker for this awesome TV deal.
post #580 of 598
Also, was checking out 60PN6500 thread, and saw there was some chatter about the same 5.1 issue. Looks like one of the members there is doing some tinkering to try and modify the SM settings for this.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472652/official-lg-50pn6500-60pn6500-owners-thread-2013-1080p-plasma-series/120#post_24502081
post #581 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

Also, was checking out 60PN6500 thread, and saw there was some chatter about the same 5.1 issue. Looks like one of the members there is doing some tinkering to try and modify the SM settings for this.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472652/official-lg-50pn6500-60pn6500-owners-thread-2013-1080p-plasma-series/120#post_24502081

That's REALLY interesting -- it never occurred to me that there could be an "unlock" value in the service menu.

-Matt
post #582 of 598
Got my TV yesterday, Huge TV! coming from a 40 inch.........TV is all set up and using the settings from post 510, watched Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, and Prometheus, they all looked fantastic! The picture and clarity was breathtaking. Now for the bad......1. There is a green or bright white pixel about 10 inches from the bottom and 10 inches from the side on the left side constantly blinking during any seen that is dark gray or lighter in color! I can see it from 15 feet away and is much more noticeable from closer seating. Im not sure if its 4 pixels close together or just 1 but its like a twinkling star! tech is coming Thursday to check the TV! 2. The TV is like a mirror in the daytime....cant say anything else about reflections worse than that! Hope the Tech changes the screen.

Now Im thinking, what would you guys do? exchange the TV?or get it repaired?? I bought it from Dell Website.
Edited by Titan7170 - 4/1/14 at 8:49am
post #583 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post

Got my TV yesterday, Huge TV! coming from a 40 inch.........TV is all set up and using the settings from post 510, watched Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, and Prometheus, they all looked fantastic! The picture and clarity was breathtaking. Now for the bad......1. There is a green or bright white pixel about 10 inches from the bottom and 10 inches from the side on the left side constantly blinking during any seen that is dark gray or lighter in color! I can see it from 15 feet away and is much more noticeable from closer seating. Im not sure if its 4 pixels close together or just 1 but its like a twinkling star! tech is coming Thursday to check the TV! 2. The TV is like a mirror in the daytime....cant say anything else about reflections worse than that! Hope the Tech changes the screen.

Now Im thinking, what would you guys do? exchange the TV?or get it repaired?? I bought it from Dell Website.

 

Since you're still within the retailer return period, you should return the TV if there's any defect that significantly affects your viewing experience.  If you wait until after the return period, then you are subject to the LG warranty, which has rules about the number of dead pixels that are considered acceptable.

 

As for the glossiness of the screen, there's nothing that can be done about that, short of putting the TV in a different location, installing blinds to reduce ambient light, or exchanging it for a LED/LCD TV with a matte finish.

post #584 of 598
The tech is coming Thursday, after making the appointment with the LG tech I called Dell they said to have a tech take a look at it....if the tech refuses to change the screen then I'm going to Dell for an exchange if they refuse the exchange I'm going to return the TV!
post #585 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post

The tech is coming Thursday, after making the appointment with the LG tech I called Dell they said to have a tech take a look at it....if the tech refuses to change the screen then I'm going to Dell for an exchange if they refuse the exchange I'm going to return the TV!
Darn, not the happy ending I was hoping for. frown.gif That's weird that you kinda predicted they would balk on replacing the screen.

So hmmm....are you within reach of a MicroCenter? I guess not if Dell was your first option.

-Matt
post #586 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

Darn, not the happy ending I was hoping for. frown.gif That's weird that you kinda predicted they would balk on replacing the screen.

So hmmm....are you within reach of a MicroCenter? I guess not if Dell was your first option.

-Matt

im in Queens NY

BTW heres the email the tech shared with me from his boss

[QUOTEI’ll be honest with you, I don’t think this warrants replacing panel. The reason why is stated in the pixel described in lgtechasssit.com. For a flickering pixel there has to be a certain number required. For the A zone, the number has to be equal to or less than four. In the B zone, that number has to be equal to or less than ten. Based on the photos sent the area the flickering pixel is in is the B zone. Did you check the output voltage for the vs on the SMPS and the –VY and VSC on the Y sustain board? This issue could be a voltage misfire to the panel. I included the plasma pixel policy also.][/QUOTE]


Im looking at the 60PB6900
Edited by Titan7170 - 4/3/14 at 4:58pm
post #587 of 598

What's Dell's return policy.  If it were Amazon I'd just ask them to replace the TV and they'd do it no questions asked.

post #588 of 598
That's odd, I could have sworn I quoted a different post about replacing the panel. Guess I need my glasses checked!

-Matt
post #589 of 598
Yea I don't know what happened to that post. Anyway Dell doesn't have anymore in stock so they giving me a full refund including the shipping and they are also paying for the return shipping of this one!
post #590 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post

Yea I don't know what happened to that post. Anyway Dell doesn't have anymore in stock so they giving me a full refund including the shipping and they are also paying for the return shipping of this one!
Here's a thought: the 5700 just showed up at Fry's today for $699 with free shipping

http://www.frys.com/product/7680907

It's listed as "backordered" but the sale price is good through 4/10. Maybe worth a look. (Darn, I just remembered that Amazon price matches Fry's but they don't have any inventory)

-Matt
post #591 of 598
If you live in Queens NY check the Microcenter near Roosevelt Field, Yonkers or Patterson if you can transport it. I bought one in Patterson NJ for $599 last Saturday and they had 15 left. It is outstanding! Best TV I ever owned.
post #592 of 598
Gonna see if I head to micro center when I get my refund....got someone with a van to help me pick it up....what's the return/exchange policy at microcenter?
post #593 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post

Gonna see if I head to micro center when I get my refund....got someone with a van to help me pick it up....what's the return/exchange policy at microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/return-policy.aspx

post #594 of 598

thanks!
post #595 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

So I just picked one of these up from Microcenter in Maryland, killer deal. I do have one quick question. I have seen conflicting info about this on the thread.

I have an old reciever with no HDMI switching. I have my DVR and Blu Ray connected via HDMI to the LG. If I run optical sound direct from the STB or Blu Ray to my receiver, I get 5.1 sound. If I run optical from the TV to the receiver, no 5.1 from either source. Basically I was trying to avoid having to change the receiver mode, was hoping I could just switch TV inputs. Is there any setting I missed that might allow me to force 5.1 from the TV optical out? I tried Auto and PCM from the TV. Anything else?
So update on the above.

Partial victory!

My cable provider is Verizon Fios. I was having some lip sync issues with my system (Fios DVR -> TV via HDMI ; Fios DVR -> reciever via Optical Toslink.)

I was trouble shooting, and went into the hidden menu of the Fios DVR. I switched the HDMI Audio on the DVR from auto to passthrough. This had two benefits:

1) It fixed my audio delay/lipsync issue I was having. And more importantly,

2) I now get 5.1 sound passed through by the TV.

My Fios DVR is now connected to the TV via HDMI only (and not connected to the receiver), and the TV is connected to the receiver via Optical Toslink. I am able to switch inputs on the TV and leave the receiver as is, and currently I get 5.1 sound when watching either the DVR or a video file on a USB stick. I have not checked the LG Apps yet, but presumably they will pass 5.1 as well. Only partial victory, as I could not get my Sony Blu Ray to pass 5.1. In it's audio settings, I only have the choice of Auto or PCM. The Fios DVR had auto, PCM, and passthrough, with passthrough being the key. HTH anyone else with a Fios box.
post #596 of 598

Cool deal, glad you got it sorted!

post #597 of 598
Are these the settings everybody is using ???

I just got this TV two days ago and would like to know which calibration settings everybody has found to be the best..


Thanks in advance!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lzy_teck View Post

Finally got a new i1 display pro and recalibrated this set with it. I had a i1 display 2 and the readings from it were way off.

Followings are my settings, give it a try to see if you like it.
expert 1
panel light: 67
contrast: 93
brightness: 64
v/h sharpness: 10/10
color: 48
tint: g3

color gamut: standard
gamma: 2.4

white balance:
color temperature: warm 2
20 point ire
0: -2/0/-2
5: -8/-6/-9
10: -12/-3/-8
15: -9/0/0
20: -5/6/4
25: 4/12/5
30: 0/16/5
35: 5/14/6
40: -2/18/8
45: -3/21/10
50: -1/18/4
55: -2/15/8
60: -8/13/-1
65: -10/17/0
70: -7/16/4
75: -10/13/-8
80: -31/5/-2
85: -14/12/-8
90: 0/29/0
95: -18/4/-9/
100: -5/10/1

color management system
r 0/0/-9
g 6/-4/12
b 3/0/0
c 8/-4/20
m 14/-2/-7
y 3/1/12
post #598 of 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzy_teck View Post

Finally got a new i1 display pro and recalibrated this set with it. I had a i1 display 2 and the readings from it were way off.

Followings are my settings, give it a try to see if you like it.
expert 1
panel light: 67
contrast: 93
brightness: 64
v/h sharpness: 10/10
color: 48
tint: g3

color gamut: standard
gamma: 2.4

white balance:
color temperature: warm 2
20 point ire
0: -2/0/-2
5: -8/-6/-9
10: -12/-3/-8
15: -9/0/0
20: -5/6/4
25: 4/12/5
30: 0/16/5
35: 5/14/6
40: -2/18/8
45: -3/21/10
50: -1/18/4
55: -2/15/8
60: -8/13/-1
65: -10/17/0
70: -7/16/4
75: -10/13/-8
80: -31/5/-2
85: -14/12/-8
90: 0/29/0
95: -18/4/-9/
100: -5/10/1

color management system
r 0/0/-9
g 6/-4/12
b 3/0/0
c 8/-4/20
m 14/-2/-7
y 3/1/12

Just picked up this TV on Sunday thanks to the sick deal at MC. I am no video guru by any means and after I tweaked the picture with the picture wizard I thought the picture looked great but after I used lzy_teck's settings all I can say is WOW! Thank you lzy_teck for posting these settings!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread