or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Oz the Great and Powerful 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oz the Great and Powerful 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5

post #121 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

I find it surprising that I saw some earlier in the thread actually wanting a combo pack. I find them stupid. I'd prefer they just sell me a 3D BR and none of the other junk that I'll never use. If I want to watch it in 2D, I can just put it in 2D mode. Different folks have different uses I suppose.
Just speaking for myself, my workaround to not having a 3D capable processor, is to play the 3D disc on one player directly connected to the display, while playing the 2D disc on another player through the processor for the HD sound. I need both for the full HD enjoyment of a 3D movie with my current set-up -- not to mention the DVD comes into play as well. I find I am fairly unhappy with how Disney has attempted to wring every angle of exploitation of the public with this release -- very disappointing.
post #122 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

and:
Thank you for the kind words about the Sound Mix. Chris Jacobson and Myself mixed it at both Sony Pictures and my facility "The Dub Stage"
www.thedubstage.com

Working with Sam Raimi is the best!
We mixed it Theatrically in 7.1 and 5.1 and also in "Auro-3D 11.1" and 7.1 and 5.1 for Home Theater Blu-Ray.
It is called "Nearfield because we set up the 7.1 and 5.1 mix with speakers much closer to the mix position
and at a lower level than the Theatrical mix. We then adjust the mix to replicate what the Theatrical mix was
for watching in Blu-ray at home. It is NOT desktop speakers, it is full range near field speakers with 8" woofers and dual 12" sub.
We were very happy with the translation, lots of dynamic range yet all the
dialog and subtle stuff translated as we expected.We had all the original tracks and not just stems so we could raise or lower
any track as needed for the Nearfield mix for Blu-Ray.
Thanks again to Ralph and to you for your kind comments.

Thanks a lot for chiming in! There's LOTS of discussion in these forums with an extreme emphasis on the end user's point of view. It's very nice that it can occasionally be mixed with some input from the production end of things.

Thank you for the explanation on the use of nearfield. But you've brought up another question in my mind. Many (I assume most) of us use a product like Audyssey's Dynamic EQ or Dolby's Volume to correct for the psychoacoustic effects of listening at levels below reference. It sounds as if the work you do in creating a nearfield mix is attempting to address the same problem. No doubt your method creates a better product, since it's tailored to the specific content rather than just using some generic algorithms. But when watching a recording like this with a specific nearfield mix, would we be best to turn such processing off?
post #123 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

We watched it at home last night in 2D, and we agree with you. Understandably, some folks can pick it apart pretty easily. Nonetheless, even when I read less than positive evaluations, I go into every film with a positive and somewhat uncritical mind so I can let the movie have unfettered access to present itself to me. We love our HT enough that almost everything is "good enough" and something like Oz is way above average in sound and vision, notwithstanding the acting and storyline being average most of the time, though pretty satisfying lots of times, too.

My GF was fascinated by the China Doll, so that was enough right there to carry her along, and Zack Braf's Finley was a favorite of hers and mine as well. I've never been much of a Franco fan, but he wasn't terrible, and the part wasn't that great to begin with.

Like you, we had fun watching it.



china doll was fascinating. great cgi. finley too
post #124 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

china doll was fascinating. great cgi. finley too

They also used a marionette, I'm always happy to see puppeteers still have a place in cinema. smile.gif It always looks more realistic to me.
post #125 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Thanks a lot for chiming in! There's LOTS of discussion in these forums with an extreme emphasis on the end user's point of view. It's very nice that it can occasionally be mixed with some input from the production end of things.

Thank you for the explanation on the use of nearfield. But you've brought up another question in my mind. Many (I assume most) of us use a product like Audyssey's Dynamic EQ or Dolby's Volume to correct for the psychoacoustic effects of listening at levels below reference. It sounds as if the work you do in creating a nearfield mix is attempting to address the same problem. No doubt your method creates a better product, since it's tailored to the specific content rather than just using some generic algorithms. But when watching a recording like this with a specific nearfield mix, would we be best to turn such processing off?

For "Oz, The Great and Powerful" turn that .... off!
It is not needed or wanted wink.gif

Both the 7.1 and the Stereo Lt/ Rt were each mixed separately to give you the optimum Audio playback at home.
post #126 of 193
So you mixed room correction into it lol
post #127 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

So you mixed room correction into it lol
I was refering to Dolby's Volume only. Bypass it.
post #128 of 193
I watched this at my local 4k cinema the 3d was ok i was way more impressed with Jack The Giant Slayer 3D
post #129 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyburns View Post

I watched this at my local 4k cinema the 3d was ok i was way more impressed with Jack The Giant Slayer 3D

This is great to hear because my family and I really enjoyed Oz. I have Jack preordered.
post #130 of 193
I just bought the 3d jack instead as well.
post #131 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

So you mixed room correction into it lol
I was refering to Dolby's Volume only. Bypass it.

Yes I agree. The audyssey dynamic eq based on the room correction is the right way to go for below reference volume at home.
post #132 of 193
I'm hoping to pick this up this week.
post #133 of 193
This movie is way overhyped. Most people here will view it once and then it will gather tons of dust. There are no memorable moments or classic lines like the Wizard of Oz had. Rent it and buy the original on bluray.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1092277-wizard_of_oz/quotes/


Dorothy Gale: Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

The Wicked Witch of the West: I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!


Dorothy Gale: How do you talk if you don't have a brain?
The Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?
post #134 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Yes I agree. The audyssey dynamic eq based on the room correction is the right way to go for below reference volume at home.
Happen to know if the INTEGRA 9.8 has this? Don't think I've ever encountered mention of it in my experience with the unit, though I had heard about turning off any "late night" adjustments on DOLBY HD tracks as it might automatically kick in due to encoding. So what does this feature do? -- boost dynamics because you are now below reference, so the system can handle more? -- something like that?
post #135 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

This movie is way overhyped. Most people here will view it once and then it will gather tons of dust. There are no memorable moments or classic lines like the Wizard of Oz had. Rent it and buy the original on bluray.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1092277-wizard_of_oz/quotes/


Dorothy Gale: Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

The Wicked Witch of the West: I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!


Dorothy Gale: How do you talk if you don't have a brain?
The Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?
Agree completely. Do not think this effort bears any relation to the classic. Not even the LFE was THAT impressive.This was strictly by the numbers unoriginality, somewhat tedious, limply acted....
post #136 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

This movie is way overhyped. Most people here will view it once and then it will gather tons of dust. There are no memorable moments or classic lines like the Wizard of Oz had. Rent it and buy the original on bluray.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1092277-wizard_of_oz/quotes/


Dorothy Gale: Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

The Wicked Witch of the West: I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!


Dorothy Gale: How do you talk if you don't have a brain?
The Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?
Growing up as a cheesehead I always it thought lt was...."Lions, and Vikings, and Bears, on my" biggrin.gif
post #137 of 193
I watched this last weekend via Redbox rental.
Loved the movie, kids really loved it.

Strange thing was for all blu-rays I've ever played I have NEVER had to select the audio, it always default to the highest audio.
For this disc the default was 2 ch stereo, I did not find that till hit play and a warning screen pop up stating I had selected only 2 ch audio and needed to go into audio options if I wanted different.
So, I did and the default is 2 ch, then next to select is 5.1, with 7.1 as final choice.

wtf?

The 7.1 was awesome, I convert to 11.3 DTS Neo via my Denon 4520.
post #138 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Growing up as a cheesehead I always it thought lt was...."Lions, and Vikings, and Bears, on my" biggrin.gif

Lots of people hear things incorrectly...

Peter Kay, Funny Song Lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cylsLhQaPFw
post #139 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Growing up as a cheesehead I always it thought lt was...."Lions, and Vikings, and Bears, on my" biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Lots of people hear things incorrectly...

Peter Kay, Funny Song Lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cylsLhQaPFw
Not exactly.... Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, and Chicago Bears. Central division NFL football joke from the Green Bay Packers perspective. wink.gif
post #140 of 193
Just finished watching this movie what an audio feast loved it. The movie itself I actually enjoyed very much. My 10 year old will enjoy it but I think my 5 year old might get scared. Some scenes made me jump out of the chair a few times.
post #141 of 193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just finished watching this movie what an audio feast loved it. The movie itself I actually enjoyed very much. My 10 year old will enjoy it but I think my 5 year old might get scared. Some scenes made me jump out of the chair a few times.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Frank! smile.gif


Regards,
post #142 of 193
Just watching this now and I have to agree with your review Ralph. Spectacular audio and video, the picture quality is stunning. No streaming service can equal this. I didn't think the audio was that great at first but as the movie progressed the DTS MA and the AV8801 showed what they are made of smile.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 6/30/13 at 5:12pm
post #143 of 193
Well the audio is essentially mono at first during the black and white sequence - then switches dramatically to 7.1 during the storm sequence - that's why it may have been underwhelming at first.
post #144 of 193
Just watched the movie yesterday and I am shocked not to see a dialog of complaints about the DTS-MA soundtrack and the "near field experience". Near field must stand for adding echo. Did no one notice all dialog seems like they are talking in a cave? I ask someone to do this simple test of taking a simple talking scene and going from the DTS 7.1 to simple Dolby 5.1. Try where Oz is talking to Glinda. Voices are now clear and free of phony echo. I have a 13x21 home theater I am watching in so maybe it is not so noticeable for smaller setups. I think they ruined the soundtrack and I must use standard Dolby.

Ralph, did you not notice this in your setup? I would ask you go back and try my test.
Edited by dave1216 - 7/5/13 at 10:20am
post #145 of 193
Dave,
You have a problem either with the disk or you set up. I mixed it. I know it. There is NO PHONY ECHO. The"Near Field" does not add echo.
You have a problem in your set situation. The only place they sound like they are talking in a cave is.... when they are talking in a cave.
post #146 of 193
No problems with the DTS soundtrack on my 5.1 setup, it sounded as good as I've ever heard. Nice job dr.sound, very impressive smile.gif
post #147 of 193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Just watched the movie yesterday and I am shocked not to see a dialog of complaints about the DTS-MA soundtrack and the "near field experience". Near field must stand for adding echo. Did no one notice all dialog seems like they are talking in a cave? I ask someone to do this simple test of taking a simple talking scene and going from the DTS 7.1 to simple Dolby 5.1. Try where Oz is talking to Glinda. Voices are now clear and free of phony echo. I have a 13x21 home theater I am watching in so maybe it is not so noticeable for smaller setups. I think they ruined the soundtrack and I must use standard Dolby.

Ralph, did you not notice this in your setup? I would ask you go back and try my test.

Greetings,

No issues here Dave1216. Not sure what you are hearing... confused.gif


Regards,
post #148 of 193
Appreciate the feedback, but I don't believe there are any issues with my setup. Played many a disc with no issues. It could be no one was listening for it. I would still like on of those that says the sound was fine to take a dialog scene, like where Oz first meets Glinda, and first listen to the DTS soundtrack. They sound like there are in some huge soundstage. then select Dolby 5.1. Voices are as one would normally hear.

Also, I see the post above was from Dr. Sound who actually did the mixing. Amazing to get direct feedback like that. I will revisit my settings to see if anything could account for what I heard. I can state I have never thought twice about tweaking my settings on any previous disc before.
Edited by dave1216 - 7/5/13 at 2:26pm
post #149 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Appreciate the feedback, but I don't believe there are any issues with my setup. Played many a disc with no issues. It could be no one was listening for it. I would still like on of those that says the sound was fine to take a dialog scene, like where Oz first meets Glinda, and first listen to the DTS soundtrack. They sound like there are in some huge soundstage. then select Dolby 5.1. Voices are as one would normally hear.

Also, I see the post above was from Dr. Sound who actually did the mixing. Amazing to get direct feedback like that. I will revisit my settings to see if anything could account for what I heard. I can state I have never thought twice about tweaking my settings on any previous disc before.



Hi, all I can say is play a disc you know very well and see what you think. Like Skyfall because that is reference IMO. I am not telling you your setup is messed up or you don't know what your doing just that this BD has some great DTS MA.
post #150 of 193
On further review....I replayed the disc again today after hearing that others found no issue. Issue did not repeat today. This is very strange. Somehow my Denon receiver was not processing correctly yesterday and today it is different? Had not had that problem before. Anyway, there were no settings issues. Problem just did not exist after retrying today. Apologies to Dr Sound and appreciate you responding to my post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Oz the Great and Powerful 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review