or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Halloween 35th Anniversary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Halloween 35th Anniversary

post #1 of 273
Thread Starter 
New commentary from Carpenter and Curtis, lets hope it has the original color timing.

http://m.bloody-disgusting.com/bloodydisgusting/#!/entry/anchor-bay-handling-halloween-35th-anniversary-blu-with-new-commentary,51b0d900da27f5d9d0d8b1c6/1
Edited by Jay Mammoth - 7/20/13 at 9:26pm
post #2 of 273
That's a mobile link.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3236566/anchor-bay-handling-halloween-35th-anniversary-blu-with-new-commentary/

It better be a 4K transfer and re-master. Otherwise, it won't be worth buying just for a commentary track.
post #3 of 273
If this has a fresh remaster, Dean Cundy's color timing, the extended version as an option, and the original mono soundtrack as an option, I'll rebuy it.
post #4 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweyes1121 View Post

If this has a fresh remaster, Dean Cundy's color timing, the extended version as an option, and the original mono soundtrack as an option, I'll rebuy it.
Same here, although it's not a "rebuy"for me since I only have it on DVD and not BD. For me, it would be an upgrade.
post #5 of 273
What about all that extra contnet that was found a few years ago? That better be an extra....
post #6 of 273
Anchor Bay finally gets around to releasing the one valuable property left in their back catalog. I imagine they'll leave something out that the fans want, to save for the 40th Anniversary edition.
Edited by Phantom Stranger - 6/10/13 at 10:35am
post #7 of 273
Woot!
Quote:
Trancas International Films, Compass International Pictures, and Halloweenmovies.com are proud to announce award winning cinematographer Dean Cundey is supervising the new high definition transfer of John Carpenter’s Halloween for the upcoming 35th Anniversary Blu-ray!

{Insert requisite "Shut up and take my money!" meme here...}
post #8 of 273
post #9 of 273
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Woot!
{Insert requisite "Shut up and take my money!" meme here...}

Yes yes, Thank You
post #10 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Anchor Bay finally gets around to releasing the one valuable property left in their back catalog.
Anchor Bay still has Phantasm in it's clutches.

If this new Halloween disc has the original color timing along with a bunch of great extras, I'll double dip.
post #11 of 273
Thread Starter 
post #12 of 273
This one is still a classic. It only gets better w/ age, IMO.

Can you guys tell me more about this color timing thing...?
post #13 of 273
Really hoping it has the original color timing. It really is one of those movies that doesn't lose much, if any, of it's luster, as it ages.
post #14 of 273
The link is broken.
How is the 'original' color grading different? I bought the BD several weeks ago ($4) and found it had a contrast boost which came close to making skies white. This did not do the daytime shots any favors however the night shots came off rather well. Maybe some would complain about crushed blacks but that's better then the brightness boost Friday the 13th had.
post #15 of 273
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

The link is broken.
How is the 'original' color grading different? I bought the BD several weeks ago ($4) and found it had a contrast boost which came close to making skies white. This did not do the daytime shots any favors however the night shots came off rather well. Maybe some would complain about crushed blacks but that's better then the brightness boost Friday the 13th had.

The took the eerie blue tint out, there's tons of screen caps you can find online. With Dean Cundy supervising this new blu I'm sure it will be corrected.
post #16 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

The took the eerie blue tint out, there's tons of screen caps you can find online. With Dean Cundy supervising this new blu I'm sure it will be corrected.

I guess you mean dvds were blue shifted like euro ones?
post #17 of 273
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I guess you mean dvds were blue shifted like euro ones?

That was the Cundey approved transfer, yes.
http://www.horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=721
post #18 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

That was the Cundey approved transfer, yes.
http://www.horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=721

Ok so you mean a blue tint in a few shots. I think a worst problem was the luminance grading, that link sure shows what I mean in the one daytime cap, in the BD it is washed out and there are a lot of daytime scenes in the film. Overall in all three versions the hues were relatively close except for the two blue tint examples.

However when I got it for $4 I knew I was going to get my money's worth.
post #19 of 273
So we're getting a new, Cundey-approved transfer...

And the extra scenes, but only as an extra, and not even an option to watch them in the film.

And the original mono in lossy Dolby Digital only (yet again).

Yeah, nice try, Anchor Bay. No sale.
post #20 of 273
Pretty cool that this release is going to be close to the new Friday the 13th boxed set release!
post #21 of 273
Do you guys think that Carpenter is still involved each time his films are released on the next tech format?
post #22 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Do you guys think that Carpenter is still involved each time his films are released on the next tech format?
It's hard to tell, some directors are obsessive about each new release of their work. Others couldn't care less and delegate it off to someone else. In some cases, the distributor/studio simply doesn't care and never asks them in the first place.
post #23 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

It's hard to tell, some directors are obsessive about each new release of their work. Others couldn't care less and delegate it off to someone else. In some cases, the distributor/studio simply doesn't care and never asks them in the first place.

Or the studio/distributor claim the director approved it regardless if it is untrue and even if said director is dead.
post #24 of 273
post #25 of 273
Hmmm....not sure how enthusiastic I am from the screenshots.
Looks like decent detail, filmic look. That's good.

But...it looks like the desaturation and graying of the image is pretty extreme. I've been watching Halloween "constantly" ever since I saw it repeatedly in the theaters, and all the formats since. The scares were gone long ago so what's been left has always been soaking in the craft and the mood, and the look; it's the quintessential "feels like fall" film. It's been the film I throw on every year to get into the fall mood.

Those screen shots are the first time I've ever looked at Halloween and not gotten that feeling.
I'm hoping I warm up to this version once I see it at home. It does look a little creepier in a way.
post #26 of 273
No more unnatural contrast boost in the images of the newest BD which pleases me. Skin tones are much more natural as is everything else in the caps. More detail as well thanks to better grain retention and hard to spot any artifacts as well.
post #27 of 273
The previous Blu looked artificial in general; completely pumped up color, contrast, DNR, etc.

This new release looks to be spot on in every category and very natural. Looking forward to picking this up next week.
post #28 of 273
Does this use the PCM audio of the 2007 edition? What kind of lossless audio is the 2013 edition using?
post #29 of 273
Boy, you guys are pretty calm and collected over here in AVS. It's insanity over in the Blu-ray.com topic for this release! Generally, most people feel the 35th Anniversary version is a nice improvement over the original Blu-ray release. But a few others feel BOTH Blu-rays have the color timing wrong, even with Gundey approving the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray transfer. There's been some comparisons to the THX-approved 1999 DVD release, where the trees along the streets actually have Fall colors. The 1997 DVD doesn't have "orange/rust" colors in the trees. Just the 1999 THX DVD release, which is also a Gundey approved transfer.

Now, start fighting among yourselves over which is the CORRECT look! smile.gif

Edit: Screencaps from three versions:

1999 THX DVD:
j7pXbFTmeMDxr.png


Original Blu-ray:



35th Anniversary Blu-ray:



Mark
Edited by Mark Booth - 9/18/13 at 4:34pm
post #30 of 273
Uh oh. Wow. That does not look like HALLOWEEN. I've seen it projected in 35mm and it looked like Fall. Only the THX DVD got it right. Everything else is just wrong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Halloween 35th Anniversary