or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › acoustic foam that i got from walmart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

acoustic foam that i got from walmart

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
well, i saw this on youtube and to cover the vast majority of my room, it would only cost 30 bucks. so i figured what the heck.

i cut them into strips, and im covering the wall behind my speakers, the sides and some of the ceiling.

this isnt "real" acoustic foam, its 3 bed pads cut up that will absorb some sound. im putting them up right now, so ill post a pic when im done

what do you guys think of this?
post #2 of 12
How thick is the foam?

Sorry to say, most foam products are merely going to do much.

It's advisable, that if an area needs absorption, you absorb as much of the spectrum (lows to highs) as possible. That said, most foam products would only barely affect the highest frequencies. So placing the foam would result in only a dulling of the sound, removing the high freqs. Absorbing the mid to lows, requires effective material, and effective thickness. Then, given the right material (fiberglass/rockwool) by spacing it off the surfaces, the absorption performance characteristics is increased.


Check this out. The entire paper is great, however about 1/4 of the way down, there's examples of bass traps, and optimizing the air gap that will help explain the issues involved.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

How thick is the foam?

Sorry to say, most foam products are merely going to do much.

It's advisable, that if an area needs absorption, you absorb as much of the spectrum (lows to highs) as possible. That said, most foam products would only barely affect the highest frequencies. So placing the foam would result in only a dulling of the sound, removing the high freqs. Absorbing the mid to lows, requires effective material, and effective thickness. Then, given the right material (fiberglass/rockwool) by spacing it off the surfaces, the absorption performance characteristics is increased.


Check this out. The entire paper is great, however about 1/4 of the way down, there's examples of bass traps, and optimizing the air gap that will help explain the issues involved.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck

i just got finished putting it up. it is noticeably quieter in my room, and the foam is 3in thick at the thickest parts. i covered a large majority of the walls, and it is working a little. i used to have these dead spots in my room where there was almost no sound.(miss, highs, lows) and they are kind of fixed. my music sounds different, its almost more clear in the mids and the highs dont have that "tinging" sound to them. but the bass is the same. here is a pic
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

Definately someone who doesn't have to worry about WAF.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Definately someone who doesn't have to worry about WAF.

i dont have a wife, im 16. but i did this without my parents knowing. they are not mad about it either
post #7 of 12
Dude....
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Dude....


what are you trying to say now
post #9 of 12
You need to go look at some real audio solutions. Listen to some great speakers to get a sense for what your objective should be.

You'd be way better off taking a $100 and buying a pair of Grados than stapling egg crate foam to your wall.

Also just buy Ascend 340s. You'll be a happy 16 year old.
post #10 of 12
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000G3LCQC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370722921&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

You need to go look at some real audio solutions. Listen to some great speakers to get a sense for what your objective should be.

You'd be way better off taking a $100 and buying a pair of Grados than stapling egg crate foam to your wall.

Also just buy Ascend 340s. You'll be a happy 16 year old.

im pretty happy now because the foam is working nicely for what i paid. and i have really nice headphones that cost me 300 bucks. the only piece of audio gear im happy with completely
Edited by NotInvolved - 6/8/13 at 6:46pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

im pretty happy now because the foam is working nicely for what i paid.

This is key,...

You're fine, you're experimenting, asking the right questions, you're well on your way. There's plenty of time for your continuous evolution throughout this hobby.

Seriously, if you are interested, make your own fiberglass, or rock-wool based panels and really see how high performance panels work. The difference will be staggering.

Those type of products picked up surplus, or at your local hardware store or supply house, will be quite inexpensive. The smaller the room, the bigger the need for bass traps. Bass traps will really help smooth out your bass response, and actually tighten up the decay, allowing for punchy, tighter bass. Diagonally, cover the corners, any corners (ceiling-wall, wall-wall, wall-floor) and you'll be amazed at the result.

You can experiment with huge cushions etc, too.


http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2010/12/take-free-bass-trap-test.html


http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2011/04/do-small-foam-traps-actually-work.html


http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2010/12/bass-trap-primer.html


Check these out.

GearSlutz is where some of the brightest acoustics savvy dudes hang out, this is very simple, and shows a diy $29 bass trap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › acoustic foam that i got from walmart