Originally Posted by Bytehoven
I thought you were playing solid. A few theories I have brewing...
- what gun you use does matter. There is a short list of primary weapons that really rule the close - mid battle field. If you are grinding away on unlocking various weapon classes, you kinda just have to live with some vulnerability. I'm kinda glad they might be making an adjustment to DMR so I can start grinding those. It will be interesting to see how the game changes if they do rebalance some/all of the guns.
- Squad orders and support. It's amazing how giving or following squad orders really ramps up the point count. I know we don't do it enough and I'll admit I may be one of the 1st to abandon the squad to go cap a flag being captured. But doing so can either be a recipe for victory or disaster. If I do break from the pack, I prefer to do it as a recon so I can either plant a T-UGS or throw some sensor balls, to get the drop on the enemy. Also, ammo, heals, repairs or motion sensor points from squad members are also a sweet bonus situation. I'd also recommend if you are breaking away from the group, announcing your intention is a good idea. Many times others can spawn on you if they have the opportunity and thus reinforce your action.
- when you're ready to spawn in on a squad member, if you see WARNING in the mini map action preview... either wait or don't spawn there. Your chances of being just another dead body for the meat grinder are very good if you disregard the warning. I try to wait to see if the view from the player indicates they are in a good spot or exposed. Also the time/delay/lag it takes to actually spawn in makes you extremely exposed to any flak or direct - suppression fire.
- Are you wearing a "Shoot Me 1st" sign on your back? I know there are many times I feel like I am wearing one of those signs. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm 1st heading into an area, in the middle of the pack or bringing up the rear. It's not like I have been designated a High Value Target like Bucky, MPH, Lazy or Hapi.
- Becoming totally familiar with the maps has to be one of the best ways to improve your chances in this game.
- Running a suppressor will also make a huge difference. It's one thing to be spotted by an enemy player. It's another to announce yourself by firing your weapon. If you must have your primary set up for max damage, range, etc... a good alternative is a suppressor on your pistol when you can't get close enough to get the scalp.
- Lastly... if you're in one of those meat grinder games with friends, a game that you might usually just quit when playing with randoms, dial back your aggression. Try to think/play smarter. Human nature is to push in and capitalize on any advantage like spawn killing. If you can, it's best to find a way to escape the area unnoticed, and go the far end of the map. Some maps are difficult or impossible to escape, like OP Locker if you get trapped. But quite often there are ways to escape. Also, don't underestimate the value of placing a recon spawn beacon way out where nobody would likely travel. Next best thing to a spawn beacon, is being "that guy" who kinda hangs back in a safe place. In addition to providing a place for squad members to regroup, staying alive also keeps any squad perks active. A word of advice... DO NOT SHOOT from the spawn location, or frankly anywhere near the spawn location, that is unless you want the enemy to FIND your secret spawn spot.
Anyway... again I thought you were playing good. I look forward to play more with you.
PS.. can anyone confirm what other actions (besides firing your weapon) cause you to be highlighted on the mini map? Does "aiming" a stinger highlight you?