or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Stereo full range speakers under 3000 for a metalhead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo full range speakers under 3000 for a metalhead

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone,

I was looking to move into some full range speakers. The room will be a living room but not a huge living room. I will be driving them with a 20wpc amplifier so they have to be relatively efficient.

Sources will be everything from vinyl to spotify. I listen to a great deal of metal including the faster paced and harsher death/black branches. Because of this a speaker that doesn't punish me too harshly for bright low quality recordings would be preferred. I also listen to a lot of drone, folk, and electronica.

I am definitely open to internet direct options.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 62
Revel Concerta F12s.
post #3 of 62
I would say the SVS Ultra towers for your type of music, but they probably need a bit more power. Take a look at Tekton Designs. The Enzo or Pendragon. Very efficient speakers.
post #4 of 62
Although I'm fully aware that 20wpc receivers were the norm in the 70s when I was in high school, I think this is the first time in this century I have seen someone asking for full range speakers to be driven by a 20wpc amp in a living room for playing metal.

Wow. Usually, it's something more along the lines of "Will this 250 watt amp drive my little speakers to head banging sound pressure levels?" biggrin.gif
post #5 of 62
If gently-used is an option, I suggest a pair of:
- vintage Paradigm 7se MkIII speakers for ~$300 (or less); or
- Paradigm Studio 60 (v3 or v4) speakers for under $1,000.
Edited by eljaycanuck - 6/12/13 at 10:32am
post #6 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Although I'm fully aware that 20wpc receivers were the norm in the 70s when I was in high school, I think this is the first time in this century I have seen someone asking for full range speakers to be driven by a 20wpc amp in a living room for playing metal.

Wow. Usually, it's something more along the lines of "Will this 250 watt amp drive my little speakers to head banging sound pressure levels?" biggrin.gif

Hahaha,

Well if the speakers are 2500 dollars our less I could work some cheap crown amplifiers or something into the purchase and lose the amplifier that actually IS from the 80s.
post #7 of 62
I just bought a pair of Polk LSi25s on closeout for my listening room last week - here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSi25-Floorstanding-loudspeakers/dp/B000FL1M4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371057667&sr=8-1&keywords=lsi+25

You can also buy these direct from Polk's ebay store for the same price. These will definitely rock and the tweeter is smooth enough that you shouldn't have too much trouble listening loudly for a long time. The built-in subs are perfect for rock and can be dialed in easily to your liking. The closeout price is crazy cheap and will leave you plenty of money for a beefier amp. You will definitely need more than 20 wpc with these speakers.
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s View Post

I just bought a pair of Polk LSi25s on closeout for my listening room last week - here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSi25-Floorstanding-loudspeakers/dp/B000FL1M4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371057667&sr=8-1&keywords=lsi+25

You can also buy these direct from Polk's ebay store for the same price. These will definitely rock and the tweeter is smooth enough that you shouldn't have too much trouble listening loudly for a long time. The built-in subs are perfect for rock and can be dialed in easily to your liking. The closeout price is crazy cheap and will leave you plenty of money for a beefier amp. You will definitely need more than 20 wpc with these speakers.

Great deal (because I also have the Polk LSi 25's for stereo listening) and they are pretty amazing pair of speaker for that price.

If you're committed to sticking with your amplifier then maybe have a look at the Klipsch RF series. If going with Klipsch RF, I'd personally look at used speakers for the best deal. Don't be put off by the horn tweeters until you've listened to them.
Edited by jubei951 - 6/12/13 at 1:47pm
post #9 of 62
Thread Starter 
I didn't know that revel made speakers for mortals and at that price I could add a sub but the 18khz top extension is bit low.

The price on those lsis is real nice and I'm hearing nothing but love for the tweeter but a lot of people seem to dislike the integrated sub.

The svs ultras have nice specs for the price, but some of the reviews mention sibilance which is a little off putting.

I will continue to research the above speakers. Any other ideas?
post #10 of 62
1) How much can you hear above 18kHz? rolleyes.gif
2) How much will you be able to hear above 18kHz if you continue as a metalhead? biggrin.gif
3) What's really worth listening to above 18kHz in this genre? tongue.gif
post #11 of 62
The built-in sub thing is a design philosophy that a lot of people (who haven't heard it) don't understand. I also have built-in subs in my main theater speakers as well (the much more expensive Def Tech BP7000sc) and I couldn't be happier with that system too. For point of reference, I was within minutes of calling my local dealer and buying a pair of $3500 PSB Imagine T2s when I came across the Polk deal. After hearing both, I think the LSis best the PSBs in just about every category of sound reproduction that matters to me. I've been in the high end audio hobby a long time and I've owned some very expensive speakers (and have listened to even more) and I think the LSi would hold its own with speakers costing much more. Take that for what you will - everyone's ears are different but I do listen to a lot of varied music (with metal being one genre) and I like it LOUD so I just wanted to put my opinion out there.
post #12 of 62
I am no expert, but with a 20w amp, Klipsch is you best choice. Otherwise get a bigger amp and expand your speaker choices.
post #13 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

1) How much can you hear above 18kHz? rolleyes.gif
2) How much will you be able to hear above 18kHz if you continue as a metalhead? biggrin.gif
3) What's really worth listening to above 18kHz in this genre? tongue.gif

Hahaha

Well argued. There is revel dealer I'll stop by to audition the speakers at this weekend.
post #14 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoufan2001 View Post

I am no expert, but with a 20w amp, Klipsch is you best choice. Otherwise get a bigger amp and expand your speaker choices.

I'm open to bigger amps as long a the speakers are 2500 or less.
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s View Post

The built-in sub thing is a design philosophy that a lot of people (who haven't heard it) don't understand. I also have built-in subs in my main theater speakers as well (the much more expensive Def Tech BP7000sc) and I couldn't be happier with that system too. For point of reference, I was within minutes of calling my local dealer and buying a pair of $3500 PSB Imagine T2s when I came across the Polk deal. After hearing both, I think the LSis best the PSBs in just about every category of sound reproduction that matters to me. I've been in the high end audio hobby a long time and I've owned some very expensive speakers (and have listened to even more) and I think the LSi would hold its own with speakers costing much more. Take that for what you will - everyone's ears are different but I do listen to a lot of varied music (with metal being one genre) and I like it LOUD so I just wanted to put my opinion out there.

+1 on both points. I had LSi9 bookshelf speakers for a year or so and absolutely loved them. Unfortunately I took an offer to sell for about $150 more than they cost me and let a friend take them home. Polk doesn't get a lot of respect, not deserved in this line.

For more than ten years my HT speakers were Infinity Interlude (I guess I've had an addiction for the underdog wrt speaker manufacturers ), the IL60 built-in subs were a bear to integrate but once the hard work was done the system sounded fantastic. If you've graduated RABOS you have something to brag about! smile.gif
post #16 of 62
They philharmonic speakers are very popular. The philharmonic 1 are flat down to 30hz and in room should extend that down to 24-25hz. That is pretty impressive for a speaker with drivers less than 10-12". Also the off angle listening on all Dennis' speakers is fantastic. They are usually flat to 45 degrees and still very respectable at 60.
post #17 of 62
It doesn't matter how good your speakers are, metal will still sound like crap.tongue.gif
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden View Post

They philharmonic speakers are very popular. The philharmonic 1 are flat down to 30hz and in room should extend that down to 24-25hz. That is pretty impressive for a speaker with drivers less than 10-12". Also the off angle listening on all Dennis' speakers is fantastic. They are usually flat to 45 degrees and still very respectable at 60.

I think I'd want to push pencils through my ears if I had to listen to metal through a RAAL ribbon tweeter and BG Neo8 planar midrange. Some genres (no offense meant) need less accurate resolution, not more. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

It doesn't matter how good your speakers are, metal will still sound like crap.tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I think I'd want to push pencils through my ears if I had to listen to metal through a RAAL ribbon tweeter and BG Neo8 planar midrange. Some genres (no offense meant) need less accurate resolution, not more. biggrin.gif

No arguments here. Most black metal sounds like it was recorded on a hand held recorder with the leftover instruments from a jr high music class in a small basement.

But I still love it.

And I still want big speakers.
post #20 of 62
If you are not using subs, check out the Klipsch RF7 speakers, they have terrific bass and can get pretty loud on 20 watts per channel. The Zu speaker are high sensitive speakers and look like they have OK extension as well. Pi speakers are well worth looking at, very high sensitivity and solid design. JTR has some extremely potent speakers as well, but they need subwoofers.
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlatField View Post


No arguments here. Most black metal sounds like it was recorded on a hand held recorder with the leftover instruments from a jr high music class in a small basement.

But I still love it.

And I still want big speakers.

I'm not putting it down my friend, this is what my wife listens to.
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlatField View Post

Hey everyone,

I was looking to move into some full range speakers. The room will be a living room but not a huge living room. I will be driving them with a 20wpc amplifier so they have to be relatively efficient.

Sources will be everything from vinyl to spotify. I listen to a great deal of metal including the faster paced and harsher death/black branches. Because of this a speaker that doesn't punish me too harshly for bright low quality recordings would be preferred. I also listen to a lot of drone, folk, and electronica.

I am definitely open to internet direct options.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Well, I faced a similar delimma recently and decided to give the Zu Omen Defs a try. One of the best audio purchases of my life! 100db sensitivity and full range! first time you here these monsters with The Eagles or Pink Floyd, you will be a fan. The Zu sound is not for everyone but....if you set them up properly and spend time with placement, the rewards are plentiful. Sean recommended the Clarity caps and they definitely are a worthy idea. I prefer the sound of my Omen Defs over many $10000 speakers i have heard. They can be driven by a lightning bug and they love vintage equipment. My Marantz 2230 is out for repair but a buddy brought over his old luxman and I promise you it was a humbling experience! I have heard Wilson Watt Puppies driven by Lexicon equipment that didn't compare to these speakers with that Luxman. I bought mine with nearly flawless b stock cabinets for well under $3000
post #23 of 62
Tower speakers and flawed/bad recordings because of mastering,mixing,production etc.... isn't really going to turn out well.

Probably would be better off with bookshelf speakers with soft dome tweeters maybe European ones like Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or Dali Zensor 1
ID speakers there is Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE.
Or one of the other many speakers around $300.
You have a pretty big budget but you might want to hear how it goes with something cheaper first.
More expensive speakers will make those flawed recordings even worse sounding.
Edited by nothingspecial - 6/12/13 at 7:42pm
post #24 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If you are not using subs, check out the Klipsch RF7 speakers, they have terrific bass and can get pretty loud on 20 watts per channel. The Zu speaker are high sensitive speakers and look like they have OK extension as well. Pi speakers are well worth looking at, very high sensitivity and solid design. JTR has some extremely potent speakers as well, but they need subwoofers.

Those pi speakers look nifty. Anyone pumped some metal out of then at unhealthy volumes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvckmiller View Post

Well, I faced a similar delimma recently and decided to give the Zu Omen Defs a try. One of the best audio purchases of my life! 100db sensitivity and full range! first time you here these monsters with The Eagles or Pink Floyd, you will be a fan. The Zu sound is not for everyone but....if you set them up properly and spend time with placement, the rewards are plentiful. Sean recommended the Clarity caps and they definitely are a worthy idea. I prefer the sound of my Omen Defs over many $10000 speakers i have heard. They can be driven by a lightning bug and they love vintage equipment. My Marantz 2230 is out for repair but a buddy brought over his old luxman and I promise you it was a humbling experience! I have heard Wilson Watt Puppies driven by Lexicon equipment that didn't compare to these speakers with that Luxman. I bought mine with nearly flawless b stock cabinets for well under $3000

Those def techs are a little over budget. Anyone have experience with less expensive zus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

Tower speakers and flawed/bad recordings because of mastering,mixing,production etc.... isn't really going to turn out well.

Probably would be better off with bookshelf speakers with soft dome tweeters maybe European ones like Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or Dali Zensor 1
ID speakers there is Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE.
Or one of the other many speakers around $300.
You have a pretty big budget but you might want to hear how it goes with something cheaper first.
More expensive speakers will make those flawed recordings even worse sounding.

Perhaps I'm way off on this but I don't see why tower speakers in particular would be bad for metal. I would expect the design rather than the format to matter.
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlatField View Post

Perhaps I'm way off on this but I don't see why tower speakers in particular would be bad for metal. I would expect the design rather than the format to matter.

They're not. A "flawed" recording is not going to somehow magically sound better on a bookshelf than a tower.

If you can find a pair on the used market, the PSB Stratus Goldi is a great rock speaker, but will definitely require robust amplification. I suggested the Revel F12s because of their 90 db sensitivity rating, and Revel's sensitivity ratings are a little more honest than Klipsch's.
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlatField View Post

Those pi speakers look nifty. Anyone pumped some metal out of then at unhealthy volumes?

The Pi speakers will stay clean at extremely high SPLs. They can cause permanent hearing damage without even breaking a sweat, and that is not a joke. I have my eye on the Pi Fours with upgraded drivers.
post #27 of 62
woo hoo, another metalhead!! Sorry for the outburst, carry on now...
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheFlatField View Post

Perhaps I'm way off on this but I don't see why tower speakers in particular would be bad for metal. I would expect the design rather than the format to matter.


I find tower speakers even more revealing and detailed with the multiple drivers flawed recordings are even worse sounding on towers than bookshelves.
I was just making a suggestion that you might want to hear how it goes with something smaller first.
post #29 of 62
I second the recommendation for Zu speakers. They sell speakers in your price range that will play to ear bleeding levels on a 20wpc amp. Many people run them on 2wpc tube amps.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Revel Concerta F12s.

I second the Revel F12. A used pair goes for under $1K.

My second choice would be the KEF Q900.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Stereo full range speakers under 3000 for a metalhead