or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › 7.1 Home Theater Configuration: Input from the masses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7.1 Home Theater Configuration: Input from the masses

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Greetings and Salutations,

I am finishing my basement. The best part for me (not my wife) is the integration of my first home theater. The lineup looks like this:

Panasonic 65" TCP65ST60
Paradigm Studio 60 Towers (FR, FL)
Paradigm Studio CC-590 (Center)
Paradigm AMS-150R-15 (4 in ceiling)
SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer
Denon AVR X-4000
Control4 SR250 Remote with chargeing base
Control4 HC250 Home Controller
Oppo BDP-103
Alienware Aurora Media Server Running Windows 7 X64 with SlySoft AnyDVD HD

My floor plan is open creating challenges for potential echoing and leaks. My question is twofold:

1. Are the speaker placements displayed in the attached diagram correct?
2. Is there anything I should do to increase sound quality in an open floor plan (also attached)?

Thanks everybody!

LennartzHT 7_1 Home Theater Configuration.jpg 131k .jpg file House Full 6_10_2013.jpg 121k .jpg file
post #2 of 5
Your speaker placement looks ok. BUT first off the center speaker needs to be centered under the tv and between the L&R speakers (now it looks as if its offset to the right). Second I would pull the front L&R speakers away from the wall a lil and place them a lil wider and toe them in. As for sub placement one drawing you show one sub and the other drawing you show 2 subs. I would highly recommend 2 identical subs if you only have one. Corner placement will yeild the most spl, BUT with an open floor plan you may want near field placement so you get the feel and sound without having to pressurize the whole area. So I would try one sub on each side of the couch between the couch and the recliners. That should give all listeners good bass response.
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Your speaker placement looks ok. BUT first off the center speaker needs to be centered under the tv and between the L&R speakers (now it looks as if its offset to the right). Second I would pull the front L&R speakers away from the wall a lil and place them a lil wider and toe them in. As for sub placement one drawing you show one sub and the other drawing you show 2 subs. I would highly recommend 2 identical subs if you only have one. Corner placement will yeild the most spl, BUT with an open floor plan you may want near field placement so you get the feel and sound without having to pressurize the whole area. So I would try one sub on each side of the couch between the couch and the recliners. That should give all listeners good bass response.

Flickhtguru,

Wow! Thanks for such great information. I apologize regarding the floor plan confusion. The one illustrating two subs needs to be updated. I decided recently to go with one beefier sub than two rather ordinary Paradigm Sub 10s. No room for debating the point regarding two vs. one subwoofer. I have finalized my order.

I have updated my home theater area rendering based on your feedback. The FL & FR are now 4' from the television as opposed to the previous 3' configuration. Also, the FL & FR have been toed and moved away from the wall 7_1 Home Theater Configuration 2.jpg 140k .jpg file . In addition, I placed the sub next to the sofa...I can't wait for that RUMBLE! Next, I cleaned up the drawing deleting electrical components (e.g. outlets) and auxiliary elements (cable box). In so doing, the drawing is clearer to the reader. Finally, the center channel, while not visible in the updated rendering due to software limitations, has been placed below and center to the television.

Thanks again for your help!!!

~LennartzHT
post #4 of 5
Glad to be able to help... Also don't take what I said as its set in stone. When you get your speakers feel free to move them around and play a bit to see what sounds best to you. I am just giving you a good starting point, based off of what I like.

As far as only having one sub. Try it then a year or so down the road if you find yourself wanting then get a second matching sub.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartzHT View Post

Are the speaker placements displayed in the attached diagram correct?
Surround sound is intended to come from around you, not above. Considering you're using in-ceiling speakers, I would spread the side speakers as far apart as symmetrically possible and move the rear speakers further back. This will give the impression that the speakers are high up on the rear and side walls rather than overhead. Of course you'll want to use speakers that have pointable drivers, so that you can aim them at the listening area. The rears should be spread at least 60 degrees apart so that you can hear stereo separation beind you.

How wide is your front wall? This will help with subwoofer and L/R speaker placement. Also, are those dotted lines full-height openings to other rooms or archways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartzHT View Post

Is there anything I should do to increase sound quality in an open floor plan (also attached)?
Would you consider using room treatments?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › 7.1 Home Theater Configuration: Input from the masses