or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › $1500 max budget for speakers & sub. any recommendations???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$1500 max budget for speakers & sub. any recommendations??? - Page 5  

post #121 of 232
Wow! You guys are up late.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

therefore cannot be full range since full range in any definition requires motion or moving sound of the whole room, therefore

I repeat. There is already an accepted definition of "full range" and that is not it: http://www.ehow.com/info_8795653_fullrange-speaker-mean.html
post #123 of 232
Hsu's soundstage is far superior than the Ascends.

I will bet you a subwoofer that if you try the Hsu's you will put your ascends to the back as sorrounds period.
post #124 of 232
There are other guys who have heard both, and some went for the Ascends and some went for the Hsus. I like the Hsus, but I wouldn't doubt that the Ascends are a more neutral speaker (not that the Hsu's measure badly or are particularly off neutral). I have compared the Hsus to other speakers, and I found in some ways they were better, but in other ways they weren't. They each had their own strengths, but not any real weaknesses. The Hsus are a bit recessed, maybe a bit treble shy, and so they don't have an airy feel of some other speakers. This isn't an altogether bad thing, as I can listen to the Hsus for prolonged periods without the hearing fatigue that I get from some of my other speakers, but that might be advantageous to my ears alone. For the Hsus sound stage to work its magic, they have to be positioned correctly, but some other speakers don't really need particular positioning to get their optimum sound stage. They are a budget speaker and aren't perfect, but no low cost speaker is perfect. But they are very good speakers for the money.
post #125 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Hsu's soundstage is far superior than the Ascends.

I will bet you a subwoofer that if you try the Hsu's you will put your ascends to the back as sorrounds period.

Hmmm...not going to acknowledge the inaccuracy of your claims above regarding the Arx vs Ascend testimonial and your insistence in using full range incorrectly, but rather change the subject to make a boast? This is not a sports enthusiast forum where members try to out yell the other on who is their favorite team. Your arguments have to be credible.
post #126 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Wow! You guys are up late.

Yeah. I was wondering what I was doing up that late. LOL
post #127 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post


The Ascends will NEVER fill your room. Even the Towers.



For desktop close range 2.0 system, I would recommend the Ascends.

Interesting. After going through many speakers for a 2.0 setup in my living room, an open room 28' x 21' with 25' ceiling, the CMT-340 SE was the only pair that did fill my room. I didn't audition Hsu or Arx, until now I never read anything to indicate that they were better. While I think it's fine that you're a fan of the Hsu, anyone dismissing the Ascend based on your testimonial is, IMO, making a mistake.
post #128 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

And I have heard the Ascend towers and overall the Ascends are laid-back speakers which I do NOT recommend for movie viewing. For close range desktop 2.0 system I think its fine.

Aside from the excellent SEAS tweeter that is very gentle, the Ascend towers would never be considered for any close range listening. Unless you're just about at the end of your ability to hear smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Also, for the OP, although it may be too late i would REALLY go with Hsu's all around. Forget the Beringers for the sorround. You really want to stick to the same tweeter type to match sonically all around and the only speakers that would match sonically to the Hsu's.. are more Hsu's.

Your advice is all over the place. How many different speaker brands are in your setup?
post #129 of 232
Just to make sure the op knows...the ascends are outstanding for HT, IMHO! The fact that not everyone agrees does not mean the ascends are not a very good speaker for music and HT!
post #130 of 232
I currently have a Hsu 2.0 set up. I am gonna get the rest of 3.1 package tommorow to complete a 5.1 Hsu.

Ascends are good speakers for music but for home theatre I'd definately go with the Hsu's. I've heard both, and Ascends cant touch the Hsu's in soundstage.

Now, I need you guys to read CAREFULLY here.


Ascends = Good speakers on its own.

Hsu = Better speakers than the Ascends for home theatre and movie viewing.

This is the point.


Movies = Soundstage is utmost important in my opinion.


You really dont need extra detail to watch movies. Ascends are good at details, Hsu's excel at sounstage. (although they are good with details as well but not better than the ascends.

So for home theatre movies, Hsu's are better hands down. For close range music, I recommend the Ascends. They would be good for desktop 2.0 or sorround sounds.
post #131 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Hmmm...not going to acknowledge the inaccuracy of your claims above regarding the Arx vs Ascend testimonial and your insistence in using full range incorrectly, but rather change the subject to make a boast? This is not a sports enthusiast forum where members try to out yell the other on who is their favorite team. Your arguments have to be credible.

I have all the creditials I need. I'm the only one on this thread who have heard BOTH Hsu's and Ascends.
post #132 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Aside from the excellent SEAS tweeter that is very gentle, the Ascend towers would never be considered for any close range listening. Unless you're just about at the end of your ability to hear smile.gif
Your advice is all over the place. How many different speaker brands are in your setup?

This is the deal. I had the Energy, then the Ascends, then settled for the Hsu's.

Comparison between the Energy CB 10, The Ascends 170SE, Hsu HB1 MK2. (All 2.0 set up)


Energy CB-10 = Neutral and okay sounding.

Ascends CBM 170SE = Detailed and good bass control, airy.

Hsu HB1 MK2 = Good bass control, good sounstage, warm.

All are about the same price point MSRP w/ $20-$30 give or take.


For 2.0 For music listening, I would recommend the Ascends.

For Movies, I would recommend the Hsu.



For 5.1 Home Theatre, I would definately recommend the Hsu's, again.

For close range 2.0 critical music listening, I think I would go with the Ascends. But again, the Beringers 2040's sound exactly like the Ascend 170SE (as a owner commented who heard both) and cost $120 less.
post #133 of 232
Brian... Here is the point. You are stating an opinion and trying to state it like it is fact! It is NOT! Speaker preference is highly subjective and you CANNOT say that the hsu is a better speaker than the ascend. You can only say that you compared and YOU preferred the hsu!
post #134 of 232
Thread Starter 
all 3 the ascend, the hsy & the arx seem to be good choices based on the posts ive read its just a matter of personal preference i guess & they're all about the same price. once im able to sell my old 5.1 speaker setup im def going to order the hsu, ascend or the arx's & add a sub.
post #135 of 232
I think Brian323's knowledge of speakers and subs is hilarious!! His
thread in the Sub forum called "Subwoofer Sound" was one of the
most entertaining I have read in the last several months. Let's
sell our $expensive subs and get $250 BIC subs.

But it now appears after 11 pages of posts he has changed his tune!

Now he is here telling all who would listen and not know any better that HSU
speakers are the bees knees of HT speakers. Never mind that he doesnt have a
full set-up yet.

This can only get better. Subscribing to the "WEALTH" of knowledge and
experience that "Brian323" will 'enlighten' us with. wink.giftongue.gif
post #136 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Brian... Here is the point. You are stating an opinion and trying to state it like it is fact! It is NOT! Speaker preference is highly subjective and you CANNOT say that the hsu is a better speaker than the ascend. You can only say that you compared and YOU preferred the hsu!

Exactly right.

In his opinion, in his room, he likes the Hsu's better. That's it. That's the story.
post #137 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

I have all the creditials I need. I'm the only one on this thread who have heard BOTH Hsu's and Ascends.

Did I miss a joke somewhere?
post #138 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

I heard the towers with NrT installed at their demo room. I was impressed with them on detail, clarity and transperancy. The Hsu's still are a level above the towers when it comes to soundstage and filling of the room.

If you like the laid back speakers, go for em. I personally like full range speakers for hometheatre movies.

Given that the room acoustics and speaker placement within the room are huge influences on perceived soundstaging and "filling of the room," how were you able to ascertain soundstaging differences between two speakers that you heard in two entirely different acoustical environments?
post #139 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Brian... Here is the point. You are stating an opinion and trying to state it like it is fact! It is NOT! Speaker preference is highly subjective and you CANNOT say that the hsu is a better speaker than the ascend. You can only say that you compared and YOU preferred the hsu!


Yes, this is my personal opinion and recommendation.
post #140 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Given that the room acoustics and speaker placement within the room are huge influences on perceived soundstaging and "filling of the room," how were you able to ascertain soundstaging differences between two speakers that you heard in two entirely different acoustical environments?


Because I had both of them in my t.v room.
post #141 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Because I had both of them in my t.v room.

In the post I quoted, you clearly compared the towers that you heard at Ascend with the Hsu's you heard in your tv room.
post #142 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

In the post I quoted, you clearly compared the towers that you heard at Ascend with the Hsu's you heard in your tv room.

As far as I can tell, no mater how much upgrade one does to a speaker, if the brand and type is the same, the speaker will always have the same sounding foundation.

For example the Energy RC line speakers. It dosent matter if you go from a RC-10 to a RC-70, the foundation of type of brand speaker will be laid back sounding in that line.

I heard the Ascend CBM 170SE and the Ascend Towers with NrT installed. The difference? The Towers did better with clarity and transparency. However, booth still had the same foundation, laid back or "gentle" sounding.

This is the argument all along.

Hsu's are better for home theatre because they have a huge soundstage and are a bit more forward and in your face than the Ascends. (which IMHO they achieved the better balance) Which ofcourse this would get related to soundstage. (being forward and filling the back of your room all the way from the front)

2. The Ascends are a bit too laid back for home theatre movies.

Any speakers IMHO that are laid back will have more detail than speakers that are forward. Think about it, and this is logical...


If the sound is recessed and kept INSIDE the speakers or along the speakers, ofcourse it will have more detail since its NOT going FORWARD to the rest of the room.

Whereas a FORWARD speaker that fills the room will lose detail because it will hit your acoustics and air and detail will get compromised along the way.


Ultimately it comes down to this. ANd I think this relates to when people say, "what sounds good to your ears"..

The Hsu's are masculine and big in sound.

The Ascends are feminine and articulate in sound. If you are a girl and like words like "gentle", "articulate", "femininity", and "pretty" you will like the Ascends straight up.

Sorry, but now we know of the members who like to be pretty on the inside.tongue.gif
Edited by Brian323 - 6/30/13 at 6:03pm
post #143 of 232
You can insult people all you want, but there just isn't any fact to your statement that hsu speakers are better than the ascends for HT! we get it, you like the hsu speaker and recommend it. This does not invalidate those opinions that suggest the ascends are also very good for HT!
post #144 of 232
If you are gonna go with the Ascends for 5.1, atleast start from the 340SE and up. NO point in getting 170SE and using them as fronts.
post #145 of 232
In your opinion. You keep forgetting to add that, and it comes across ... um... poorly.
post #146 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

I have all the creditials I need. I'm the only one on this thread who have heard BOTH Hsu's and Ascends.

LMAO
post #147 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

If you are gonna go with the Ascends for 5.1, atleast start from the 340SE and up. NO point in getting 170SE and using them as fronts.

I disagree. The 170SEs are fine as fronts in a small to medium size room. They are based on the same architecture as the CMT-340SEs.
post #148 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

The Hsu's are masculine and big in sound.

The Ascends are feminine and articulate in sound. If you are a girl and like words like "gentle", "articulate", "femininity", and "pretty" you will like the Ascends straight up.

Sorry, but now we know of the members who like to be pretty on the inside.tongue.gif

Lol so you've made the move from a little bookshelf speaker to, uhm another bookshelf speaker to yet another bookshelf speaker and now you've become a man? rolleyes.gif

Your advice and creditials (nice) leave a lot to be desired......your earlier recommendation on not to spend more than $250 on a sub for the average joe HT owner was the clincher for me.
post #149 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

As far as I can tell, no mater how much upgrade one does to a speaker, if the brand and type is the same, the speaker will always have the same sounding foundation.

For example the Energy RC line speakers. It dosent matter if you go from a RC-10 to a RC-70, the foundation of type of brand speaker will be laid back sounding in that line.

I heard the Ascend CBM 170SE and the Ascend Towers with NrT installed. The difference? The Towers did better with clarity and transparency. However, booth still had the same foundation, laid back or "gentle" sounding.

Ummm...the Ascend Towers are part of the Sierra line, not the CBM/CMT line. So not like the different speakers of the Energy RC series. Your analogy doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

2. The Ascends are a bit too laid back for home theatre movies.

Any speakers IMHO that are laid back will have more detail than speakers that are forward. Think about it, and this is logical...If the sound is recessed and kept INSIDE the speakers or along the speakers, ofcourse it will have more detail since its NOT going FORWARD to the rest of the room.

Whereas a FORWARD speaker that fills the room will lose detail because it will hit your acoustics and air and detail will get compromised along the way.

"Forward" and "laid back" describe the frequency response output of the speaker. A speaker can have good detail resolution and still be somewhat forward or laid back, and vice versa.

As for the rest of that quote, it is very creative. But this is the audio video science forum. You don't build credibility for your ability to make crap up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323 View Post

Ultimately it comes down to this. ANd I think this relates to when people say, "what sounds good to your ears"..

The Hsu's are masculine and big in sound.

The Ascends are feminine and articulate in sound. If you are a girl and like words like "gentle", "articulate", "femininity", and "pretty" you will like the Ascends straight up.

Sorry, but now we know of the members who like to be pretty on the inside.tongue.gif

Brian, if you need to feel more confident in your masculinity by buying HSU speakers, that's fine. Everyone has their own reasons for speaker choice. Although I doubt the rest of us will buy into that theory. LOL
post #150 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Ummm...the Ascend Towers are part of the Sierra line, not the CBM/CMT line. So not like the different speakers of the Energy RC series. Your analogy doesn't work.
"Forward" and "laid back" describe the frequency response output of the speaker. A speaker can have good detail resolution and still be somewhat forward or laid back, and vice versa.

As for the rest of that quote, it is very creative. But this is the audio video science forum. You don't build credibility for your ability to make crap up.
Brian, if you need to feel more confident in your masculinity by buying HSU speakers, that's fine. Everyone has their own reasons for speaker choice. Although I doubt the rest of us will buy into that theory. LOL



How can a speaker be laid back and forward? Its either laid back OR forward. With ANYTHING that is. You cant be lying down and sitting up and the same time. Who are you kidding trying to bring up the frequency response to fool the rest of us who are new to home theatre?

I am not making up anything. This is the logical sense of ANYTHING. It's either forward or laid-back. Recessed or aggresive. Are you telling us that your feminity (because you bought the "articulate" ascends) can somehow be turned into masculinity?tongue.gif


Another poster suggested that the 170Se and 340SE are basically the same thing. Thats what I thought. I felt somewhat bad for the already Ascend owners here so I thought I give it a chance, but if it really is that way, I wouldnt bother with Ascends period for home theatre movie viewing.


Home Theatre Newbies.. check this out. Its as simple as this.


With HSU, when you crank up the volume, you are at a club.

With the Ascends, you are at a piano concert hall listening to live performance.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
This thread is locked  

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › $1500 max budget for speakers & sub. any recommendations???