or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS4 and HD CRT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 and HD CRT

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
So i've heard that the PS4 will be HDMI only. well I got a question. I own a CRT HDTV, and it does have a HDMI port. But my real question is, will I be able to use my tv? My tv only supports 1080i.
post #2 of 18
More than likely, yes. Now, if it's one of the early tubes that didn't support HDCP then you might be in trouble at least with movies. More than likely though I think you're probably safe.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

More than likely, yes. Now, if it's one of the early tubes that didn't support HDCP then you might be in trouble at least with movies. More than likely though I think you're probably safe.

I just read the wikipedia, and it says, the PS4 will support 1080P and 4K (I guess for movies). Man I hope it will downscale to 1080i lol or have digital scaling like the PS3.
post #4 of 18
4K is so useless.
post #5 of 18
If you have the $400 to spend on a PS4, then that $400 would be much better spent on a modern TV.

As to your original question? Nobody here, or anywhere else, can tell you. Any answer you receive will be nothing but a stab in the dark guess masquerading as the truth. Until we get much, much closer to launch you would be best served by ignoring anything you hear on forums in regards to this issue.
post #6 of 18
There are 780p tv out there.

PS4's will work on those too.
post #7 of 18
I don't think there are any 780p TVs anywhere...
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

If you have the $400 to spend on a PS4, then that $400 would be much better spent on a modern TV.

As to your original question? Nobody here, or anywhere else, can tell you. Any answer you receive will be nothing but a stab in the dark guess masquerading as the truth. Until we get much, much closer to launch you would be best served by ignoring anything you hear on forums in regards to this issue.
I've got the same situation as the OP and don't see any reason to change TVs until I'm forced too. HD CRTs have a beautiful picture.
post #9 of 18
I used to have an older projection TV that was 1080i only. This is well documented but a lot PS3 games would only display in 720p and not 1080i for HD resolutions. So on my 1080i only TV the game would be displayed at 480p because the PS3 would not scale the games. Certain games would support 1080i but that was scaling on the software side and I just had to hope a game I was getting would support that. I have a different TV these days but I hope the PS4 has a built in scaler this time around for people in that situation.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

I used to have an older projection TV that was 1080i only. This is well documented but a lot PS3 games would only display in 720p and not 1080i for HD resolutions. So on my 1080i only TV the game would be displayed at 480p because the PS3 would not scale the games. Certain games would support 1080i but that was scaling on the software side and I just had to hope a game I was getting would support that. I have a different TV these days but I hope the PS4 has a built in scaler this time around for people in that situation.

Thats pretty much the reason why I didnt get a PS3. I was good with a 360 since that has a scaler and supports 1080i. I would even consider a Xbox One now (if it has a scaler) - now that the PS4 will charge for online.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

I've got the same situation as the OP and don't see any reason to change TVs until I'm forced too. HD CRTs have a beautiful picture.

I feel the same about my TV, tho not perfect since overscan happens, the picture quality looks great and my set still works. Tho the future is inevitable, seems 1080i will be left in the dust in terms of video game consoles, but TV stations still use it. Would OLED tv's be the step up from CRT's?
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I don't think there are any 780p TVs anywhere...

biggrin.gif
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

I used to have an older projection TV that was 1080i only. This is well documented but a lot PS3 games would only display in 720p and not 1080i for HD resolutions. So on my 1080i only TV the game would be displayed at 480p because the PS3 would not scale the games. Certain games would support 1080i but that was scaling on the software side and I just had to hope a game I was getting would support that. I have a different TV these days but I hope the PS4 has a built in scaler this time around for people in that situation.

Yeah that bugged me about early PS3 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Times View Post

I feel the same about my TV, tho not perfect since overscan happens, the picture quality looks great and my set still works. Tho the future is inevitable, seems 1080i will be left in the dust in terms of video game consoles, but TV stations still use it. Would OLED tv's be the step up from CRT's?

OLED is a potential step up from every other technology. I'm sure once they come down in price and we start to see some real world examples being used every day we'll see just how they improve on what we have now but the future is tantalizing to say the least. Until then I'll stick with my plasma.
post #14 of 18
720p. Whoops.

Everything will scale. I remember the congressional hearings on HDTVs and they made it clear all tvs would be compatible with a 5000p signal etc.
post #15 of 18
I had a nicely calibrated 65" 1080i only TV for many years. It did sport a nice picture. To get around the PS3 up-scaling limitations, I had a Harman Kardon receiver that handled the up-scaling (even through component video) and a HD Fury 2 that converted the video from HDMI to component. Not an inexpensive solution, but it worked great. No more PS3 down-scaling to 480p and I was finally able to use my upconverting DVD player to it's fullest extent.

Having said that, I will be forever grateful for the day that TV crapped out. For a fraction of what I paid for that TV, I now have a front projector on a 106" screen. The old 65" sported a nice picture, the new 106" sports a fantastic picture!

Back to the OP's question. It's only speculation, but I can't imagine the PS4 not having a setup menu where you set the PS4 video to match your TV's resolution. But then again, we all know about the PS3's crippled output....
post #16 of 18
This is old news by now but I just got around to looking over the Playstation 4 FAQ
Quote:
What screen resolutions will PS4 support?
PS4 will support 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video standards via HDMI output.
Looks like good news those of us with older HDTVs. I was starting to get worried when I read Xbone only supports 720p and 1080p.
post #17 of 18
My GWII doesn't have an HDMI port so this means the ps4 will be Projector only.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

My GWII doesn't have an HDMI port so this means the ps4 will be Projector only.
Is the DVI port already occupied? You could get an AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI cable for $8, and then run optical to a receiver for audio.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS4 and HD CRT