or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! › The East Coast TV's Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The East Coast TV's Experiment - Page 8

post #211 of 381
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I take back what I said about Samsung never claiming to require purchase at an authorized dealer in order to receive warranty coverage. They now have this on their site.

Please note: Any Samsung product purchased from an unauthorized Samsung reseller may not be eligible for the benefits above, including the manufacturer’s 1 year limited warranty.

Now they may or may not enforce this, but it is there. Makes it a little more difficult to argue with them should they deny a claim for that reason.

It's still not a requirement. There's nothing new there, that is just referring to Samsung's "Peace of Mind" plea here (also already covered in this thread):

http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmind/
Quote:
When you purchase from these websites you run the risk of buying a product that may have been altered or missing serial numbers which makes it ineligible for Samsung's warranty. Additionally, unauthorized dealers may sell you used/refurbished products as new. Since we have no formal relationship with these resellers we may not be able to help you should you experience difficulties with your products.

If you pay attention to the wording, authorized or unauthorized has nothing to do with it. Having altered or missing serial numbers, used or refurbished products is what would invalidate your warranty.

Since Cleveland Plasma (not on the list Samsung begs you to buy from) and ECTV don't send you used, refurbished, or missing/altered serial numbered sets- it's not relevant.
post #212 of 381
I don't mean to speak for Chris, but I believe he is authorized and stated that the website could not list all of the smaller companies and installers who are as the list would be rather lengthy. ECTV, Abe's and NYC Powerseller are not authorized and clearly buy from the secondary market.

Yes they are all the same (the gang of 3), that has been discussed on numerous AV forums, in fact another forum has a thread dedicated to ECTV and it is over 200+ pages. Sort of makes you wonder why one seller requires so much attention, low prices aren't the only reason. It's great that buying from them is working out for some, the problem is it isn't for everyone.

The argument over warranty coverage to me isn't the big concern as the total number of defective sets is very small if you look up the numbers for Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc. What is important is your inability to return the set within some window of time after the purchase. No one can really test their set in the small amount of time a buyer has during the delivery process. I can't see dropping $2000 on a VT60 only to start running slides and see it has 2 or 3 dead pixels, and that is a real issue where the warranty (or not) does you no good whatsoever. To me not allowing a return for a less than perfect display is completely unacceptable, and once again I restate my challenge to your denied warranty claim rant - what reputable seller of a/v equipment does not allow for returns or even and exchange for the same item unless in some circumstances you are buying refurbished?

As others have said, you might be able to get a price close to or the same as ECTV from authorized sellers if you ask or shop around. We also don't know how many folks start out at the low price and end up in price territory similar to authorized sellers due to all the crap they will work hard to sell you (insurance, white glove, etc.). As I have said before and will say over and over, do your homework and then make your decision on who to buy from. In the end, I hope it works out regardless of the choice.

P.S. How do we know ECTV only sells new? I am not saying they don't but unless you work for them you can't make that claim just as I can't claim otherwise. Again given their business practices one would have to wonder rolleyes.gif
post #213 of 381
Thread Starter 
I understand what you're saying. I've also seen him argue the same, and agree with that idea (every little dealer doesn't make the list... it would be huge, etc.). However, I don't think I've ever seen him directly claim to be an authorized Samsung dealer. In fact, he's always defended how meaningless it really is. Also, according to Samsung on the same page referenced prior:

"To ensure the integrity of your purchases we recommend that you only purchase our products from Samsung Authorized Internet Dealers. These dealers are supported by our Service Network and carry the 'Samsung Authorized Internet Dealer' logo."

If you go to another small authorized dealer's site who is also not on the list, Value Electronics, you find the Authorized logo displayed: http://www.pn64f8500.com/

Why does Cleveland not display this logo if they could? You'd think he would have done this a while ago to end speculation:

1) If he really was able to

and,

2) If it really even mattered

Since we know 2 to be false, who cares?

As for the "only sells new" issue... Mine was sealed and new, everyone in this thread who has reported in has had the same- there's zero evidence supporting the idea that ECTV has ever sent anyone anything but a new, sealed set.

"What reputable seller of a/v equipment does not allow for returns or even and exchange for the same item unless in some circumstances you are buying refurbished?"

Best Buy can and has put people on a "returns blacklist". If you play set roulette to exchange for things not covered by Samsung, you could get cut off. I believe they also cut the return window from 30 days down to 15 days.

It's an awful small window to drop a 25% price difference on. That's all I'm saying, and it's how I came to my conclusion.

I can't keep up with day to day prices of every dealer and make the same call for everyone else- they can do that on their own.

Chances are, however, that the next time a new set is introduced, ECTV will have a 25% better price than BB to begin with, and I'll probably lean the same way again for the same reasons.
post #214 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I don't mean to speak for Chris, but I believe he is authorized and stated that the website could not list all of the smaller companies and installers who are as the list would be rather lengthy...What is important is your inability to return the set within some window of time after the purchase. No one can really test their set in the small amount of time a buyer has during the delivery process. I can't see dropping $2000 on a VT60 only to start running slides and see it has 2 or 3 dead pixels, and that is a real issue where the warranty (or not) does you no good whatsoever. To me not allowing a return for a less than perfect display is completely unacceptable, and once again I restate my challenge to your denied warranty claim rant - what reputable seller of a/v equipment does not allow for returns or even and exchange for the same item unless in some circumstances you are buying refurbished?

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think Cleveland Plasma is an authorized dealer...and he also does not accept returns past the delivery window (he does on a case-by-case basis but in practice he does not...I've called and spoken to him before)...now I'm not trying to imply that CP is shady or a bad dealer...he is excellent and I would buy from him in a second...what makes CP so different form ECTV then?...CP has an excellent reputation and is a pleasure to deal with while there are hundreds of horror stories about ECTV with a few good ones mixed in
Edited by TitusTroy - 9/11/13 at 10:55am
post #215 of 381
Sorry, Smurray, but I have to interject and state that after at least 6 years of avid TV-buying, there is no perfect TV. biggrin.gif I do get your point, though, about more obvious defects.
post #216 of 381
So the question would be when has ECTV ever accepted a return? I have no issues with a retailer telling a customer that a perfectly working display or other piece of a/v equipment can't be returned. In fact I take great exception to people (some members on this forum) who abuse the return policies for their own curiosity (trying to say it nicely), heck I'd blacklist a few of them as well. That doesn't happen often taking multiple (3+) returns, go over to the ZT thread and you will see owners who swapped out 3 or 4 displays with BB in quest of a fan noiseless display and did not receive any push back. I doubt given Chris' excellent reputation that he is denying someone the ability to return something that doesn't work - in fact there are posts on this forum where he has replaced things - quickly - that had problems. As far as authorized - I did say "I think." Not sure one way or the other, he can answer that better than any of us if he so chooses.

My recent buying experience at BB - A/V manager said, "We want you to be 100% satisfied, just let us know what we need to do to make sure you are and that includes returning your VT60 after 60 days if it gives you any problems." Do you ever here anything from ECTV unless it has to do with an add-on or trying to find your order 3 weeks after its promised delivery date? Good luck and good day.
post #217 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sorry, Smurray, but I have to interject and state that after at least 6 years of avid TV-buying, there is no perfect TV. biggrin.gif I do get your point, though, about more obvious defects.

Perfect was the wrong choice of words - remember I have a little fan noise but otherwise nice looking VT60 thanks to DNice. Dead pixels, poor screen uniformity, buzzing that requires hearing protection, green lines across the screen, cracked glass or frame, bad HDMI port - I think its fair to get one without those types of issues, note I did not mention fan noise smile.gif Steve
post #218 of 381
Easy way to find out if CP is authorized would be to call Samsung. If they say he's not, then he's not. If they say he is, then he is. I'd call, but nobody would take my word for it, given my employer.
post #219 of 381
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Perfect was the wrong choice of words - remember I have a little fan noise but otherwise nice looking VT60 thanks to DNice. Dead pixels, poor screen uniformity, buzzing that requires hearing protection, green lines across the screen, cracked glass or frame, bad HDMI port - I think its fair to get one without those types of issues, note I did not mention fan noise smile.gif Steve

You'd be hard pressed to find Samsung not willing to repair or replace your set under any of those circumstances.

Again, if you have an example of that happening once with an ECTV purchase, I'm all ears. Surely with "hundreds of horror stories", one example would easily present itself.

Heck, even in this very thread there was someone with a buzzing set (purchased from ECTV) and Samsung did not hesitate to send someone out. As you note, a little fan noise on the ZT and buzzing on the F8500 seem to be "features" of these models, and endless swapping of sets isn't really going to get you anywhere, but you can certainly try- and Samsung seems to be willing, even for something like this. Now, the more obnoxious the fan noise/buzzing, the more necessary it is to get a suitable replacement; but also all that much more likely Samsung (or Panasonic) would gladly get you fixed up.
Edited by nfraso - 9/11/13 at 12:53pm
post #220 of 381
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Easy way to find out if CP is authorized would be to call Samsung. If they say he's not, then he's not. If they say he is, then he is. I'd call, but nobody would take my word for it, given my employer.

I think if he was authorized, it wouldn't be a mystery to us.

Since it doesn't matter, I don't really see why anyone cares. That's always been his stance anyway:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Authorized / unauthorized dealers have been talked about on here forever. In the end it always comes down to, point to a post where someone did not get warranty coverage when they had a receipt, a receipt with a company logo / name of a company that could be looked up as legitimate business in a particular state who actually sell products. Must also have a date and rolling invoice number. According the the www.ftc.gov that is all that is needed. They are the ones who approve every warranty in the US.
post #221 of 381
Two days ago I purchased a 60-inch Panasonic ST60 from Abe's of Maine. After reading a number of reviews, I regret my decision.

The price on Abe's for this set is the price I've seen everywhere else ($1,499), except for the fact that this set is sold out everywhere. I originally placed an order on ECTV ($1,350), but cancelled the order because the website looked shady. Abe's website, however, looks professional (as professional as Abt), and since the price was the same as Abt, I placed an order.

I purchased my current set from Abt (a Panasonic P42S1) back in 2008 at their store in the Chicago suburbs, but since I live in Illinois, I wanted to save an additional $160 in tax on the ST60. Also, the ST60 is out of stock on Abt. However, if I could, I would cancel my order with Abe's and gladly pay the additional money (and wait the 1-3 weeks for the set to come back in stock at Abt). Sadly, the TV has already shipped.

Fingers crossed that everything works out. I was upsold on shipping, but did not pay for the insurance. I chose FedEx and expressly declined the "white glove" A&M service, but I received A&M anyway according to my shipping confirmation.

On a related note, I made this purchase with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which offers the following protection:

"If a retailer will not accept a return within the first 90 days of purchase, you can be reimbursed for the cost of an eligible item purchased on your card."

So, if anything goes wrong, I trust that Chase will protect me.
post #222 of 381
Thread Starter 
What specifically do you regret, kpozan?

It sounds like you did your research after pulling the trigger, which I wouldn't advise for anyone.
post #223 of 381
I have a number of problems with the return policy. In fact, they make a number of statements that are neither accurate nor legal. Take, for example, the following:

"Please note that all televisions with 6 or less dead pixels is industry standard for all manufacturer's. There will be no refunds or exchanges for television with 6 or less dead pixels."

Spelling errors aside, this statement is inaccurate and untruthful. I plan to refuse shipment of the TV. I already placed an order with Abt, which has outstanding customer service.

I became suspicious of Abe's when they decided to "upgrade" me to AM Trucking when I specifically requested FedEx on the phone. During the infamous up-sell phone call, I was offered three delivery options: (1) curbside delivery, (2) FedEx, and (3) AM Trucking's "white glove service." I quickly looked up AM Trucking and, after seeing their Yelp reviews, chose FedEx. I stated that I did not want the "white glove" delivery option. However, when I received the shipping confirmation via email, I learned that Abe's nonetheless decided to use AM Trucking. I called and spoke with Larry, who claimed it was a complementary upgrade. I then attempted to cancel the order, but they claimed I couldn't because it already shipped. Talk about a load of B.S. By choosing to use AM Trucking, I consider this to be a non-conforming offer of goods, so I will be refusing shipment.

FedEx is a nationally known brand and one that I consider to be great at what they do. I should not be forced to trust that a delivery company, which I expressly stated not to use, will deliver my TV safely. Abe's requires you to make a cursory inspection of the TV set upon delivery, and once you sign on the dotted line, you're SOL if there's an issue with the TV because they don't honor their 30-day return policy for TVs. If FedEx damaged the TV, it would be a pain to file a claim, but at least I would know that there's an established process for resolving a shipping issue. With AM Trucking, there's no such guarantee.
post #224 of 381
Thread Starter 
So you did your research after pulling the trigger?

Does FedEx even deliver a TV inside your house, unpack and let you test it out first like AM does? Seems like a bigger risk if not. Now you're waiting a month to get a resolution out of FedEx and hope things work out.

1) If damage is obviously caused by shipping, you don't sign for it and ECTV/Abe's/whoever is forced to ship you a new one.

2) If damage is not obviously caused by shipping, and because so you find it the next day, or week- you won't have any issues getting repair/replacement from Panasonic/Samsung.

I don't see the issue here. FedEx curbside with a mystery condition inside just seems like a silly alternative.

--

Dead pixel policy is pretty standard and varies per dealer and manufacturer, I don't know why you'd think that's a big deal. Here's what Panasonic thinks about it- straight from your ST60's manual:

"Why do some small spots on the screen remain bright or dark?

The panel is made up of a few million pixels and is produced with advanced technology through an intricate process. Sometimes a few pixels may be bright or dark.

These pixels do not indicate a defective panel and will have no impact on the performance of the TV."

Looks like they just don't care, so I'm surprised you purchased a Panasonic set from anyone if it bothered you that much.

The reality is, how many dead pixel plasma sets have you heard of? How often is this an issue? Do you have any sources?
post #225 of 381
This is a very interesting thread. Personally, I would consider using ECTV for purchasing a smaller sized set, up to 55 inches. However, I would not use ECTV for purchasing a large set (in my case, a 75 inches).

Last month I purchased a 75 inch F7100 from Best Buy that I had wall mounted by Geek Squad. Two weeks after my purchase, Samsung reduced the price of the tv from $4999 to $4499. I called Best Buy customer service and was told their policy is to only pricematch at the time of sale, no post sale price adjustments. I decided to visit my local store and talked to the manger who was happy to adjust the price. Not sure if ECTV has a pricematch policy.

However, after a few weeks, I became bothered by noticeable banding and clouding on my F7100 and decided to exchange the set for a F8000. Best Buy gladly obliged, and removed my F7100 and delivered and mounted the F8000. Best Buy did not charge me for this service, and I only paid the difference in price between the F7100 and F8000. Best Buy even matched a competitor's promo so I didn't pay sales tax on the purchase.

In short, if I had purchased the 75 inch F7100 from ECTV, I would be stuck with the set and dealing with Samsung trying to resolve the panel issues. However, purchasing from Best Buy gave me the ability to exchange my tv for a F8000 with no hassle. Since the panel quality seems to vary on larger panel sizes, there is obviously a benefit from purchasing from a local retailer, as returns/exchanges are simple.

There's no doubt that ECTV offers attractive pricing. Just not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks on a big purchase.
post #226 of 381
Thread Starter 
To be fair, the F8000 at ECTV is $1500 cheaper than Best Buy's "sale" price.

So realistically, you probably would've gone with the better set (F8000) to begin with going the ECTV route.

In any case, this points to my previously mentioned "in-home auditioning", where you gladly pay a good chunk more money for a service (audition/swap/upgrade) that you took advantage of.
Edited by nfraso - 9/12/13 at 12:39pm
post #227 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

To be fair, the F8000 at ECTV is $1500 cheaper than Best Buy's "sale" price.

So realistically, you probably would've gone with the better set (F8000) to begin with going the ECTV route.

In any case, this points to my previously mentioned "in-home auditioning", where you gladly pay a good chunk more money for a service (audition/swap/upgrade) that you took advantage of.

When I purchased my F8000, the price differential was only $500 (for me, a no brainer to purchase at Best Buy). At the current $1500 spread, I agree that ECTV could be tempting. However, I guess it all comes down to a buyer's level of risk tolerance.
post #228 of 381
Thread Starter 
Sure sure, that's what it comes down to. Not really risk tolerance, but what level of service you require. If you're unsure about a set, you may want to live with it for a couple weeks and return if you don't like it. In that case, you'll gladly pay more for that service- be it $500 or $1500. Some would rather pocket the difference.
post #229 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpozan View Post

Two days ago I purchased a 60-inch Panasonic ST60 from Abe's of Maine. After reading a number of reviews, I regret my decision.

The price on Abe's for this set is the price I've seen everywhere else ($1,499), except for the fact that this set is sold out everywhere. I originally placed an order on ECTV ($1,350), but cancelled the order because the website looked shady. Abe's website, however, looks professional (as professional as Abt), and since the price was the same as Abt, I placed an order.

I purchased my current set from Abt (a Panasonic P42S1) back in 2008 at their store in the Chicago suburbs, but since I live in Illinois, I wanted to save an additional $160 in tax on the ST60. Also, the ST60 is out of stock on Abt. However, if I could, I would cancel my order with Abe's and gladly pay the additional money (and wait the 1-3 weeks for the set to come back in stock at Abt). Sadly, the TV has already shipped.

Fingers crossed that everything works out. I was upsold on shipping, but did not pay for the insurance. I chose FedEx and expressly declined the "white glove" A&M service, but I received A&M anyway according to my shipping confirmation.

On a related note, I made this purchase with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which offers the following protection:

"If a retailer will not accept a return within the first 90 days of purchase, you can be reimbursed for the cost of an eligible item purchased on your card."

So, if anything goes wrong, I trust that Chase will protect me.

Chase will only cover up to $500 per item, $1000 per year unless their T&C changed

Chase Sapphire return terms: File a claim over the phone within 90 days of purchase. Return an item within 30 days of the claim up to $500 in value. Limit of $1,000 of returns in a calendar year.
post #230 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Sure sure, that's what it comes down to. Not really risk tolerance, but what level of service you require. If you're unsure about a set, you may want to live with it for a couple weeks and return if you don't like it. In that case, you'll gladly pay more for that service- be it $500 or $1500. Some would rather pocket the difference.

I used the term risk tolerance, since it appears that with larger led panels, there is an increased likelihood of receiving a set that exhibits flaws.

In any event, glad you had a good experience with ECTV. The F8500 is a great set!
post #231 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

To be fair, the F8000 at ECTV is $1500 cheaper than Best Buy's "sale" price.

So realistically, you probably would've gone with the better set (F8000) to begin with going the ECTV route.

In any case, this points to my previously mentioned "in-home auditioning", where you gladly pay a good chunk more money for a service (audition/swap/upgrade) that you took advantage of.

Your passion for ECTV has me wondering if you work for them - sort of kidding. We all know Best Buy will match a number of reputable (whoops, that word again) dealers so the $1500 spread you throw out is not true unless they all have the same price - never. You also know a good number of forum members (yes, I just cleared my throat) have gotten BB to match ECTV. A decision to use someone besides the family of three (EC, Abe's & NYC) is about a lot more than piece of mind, comfort, etc.

So someone posts a less then positive experience and you again dismiss it as if every retailer behaves like these 3 do - not. Where's the evidence you ask - it keeps getting posted here and elsewhere and I have no need to back up the risks with doing business with them, that case has been made. So yet again - if you buy from them I hope it works out for you, if it doesn't enough said here and all over the web.
post #232 of 381
Thread Starter 
Even Amazon is $1500 over ECTV on the F8000. I think you'll find the majority of these "reputable" dealers (whatever that means) all pretty much have the same pricing most of the time- and when one deviates they all tend to match. Look up all of your "reputable" dealers that are on Amazon or BB's price match policy list, and see how many of them are not priced at $7K on the 75F8000.

The savings spread greatly depends on the particular model and where in it's life cycle it's at. Of course some people can pull better deals than others. I couldn't get BB or Amazon to budge on the F8500, and I'm not the only one.

ucsdsig had a spread of $500 on a $7K set at the time. Now, personally, I probably would have made the same call considering it's an LED and more prone to panel inconsistencies, but as I wouldn't have considered an LED to begin with, I really can't speculate too much. If banding or clouding is what you're worried about, then you probably shouldn't order a set prone to that (F7000). Just like buzzing or fan noise- if you know even a little bit will bother you, why are you even considering it? If you don't know if it will bother you, and you can't tell by checking it out in the store, then I suppose paying extra to "audition" in your home and swap for something else within 30days is well justified for you. But again, not everyone purchases this way.

No one in the last couple posts in this thread posted a "less than positive experience". In fact, only one actually placed an order!

kpozan did his homework after the fact, and regrets his decision based on a dead pixel policy when the manufacturer of his set doesn't even consider that to be a problem! rolleyes.gif

Sheesh, that's what you're pointing to as evidence?

I'm waiting for "hundreds" of reports of defective/damaged TVs that both ECTV refuses to replace and Samsung refuses to repair/replace. That's the argument here- the supposed "risk"... so where are these reports?
post #233 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Your passion for ECTV has me wondering if you work for them - sort of kidding

I was thinking the same thing...why so passionate about defending ECTV?...usually the fake reviews I've read online are 1 post people who disappear but this is different...not saying nfraso is one but I definitely was wondering after his last few posts
post #234 of 381
Thread Starter 
Yes, ad hominem is typical at this point... rolleyes.gif

As the title suggests, this was an experiment. I don't understand why people feel the need to fall prey to groupthink and repeat ideas they have no experience with, and have no legs to stand on.

Amidst the continual grasping, I still am not seeing evidence supporting the hefty "risk tolerance" that so clearly outweighs significant price advantages for most people. I agree that everyone will assess this for themselves, and for particular scenarios there may not be a significant difference or even any advantage at all. Everyone has to weigh this for themselves.

But the idea that has been and continues to be pounded is that no price difference makes going this route reasonable. Only risk-taking idiots would do this. And the circle jerk continues, with no one actually being able to explain why.

I'm genuinely curious here- where is the support for it? 99.9% of the grasping is coming from people who have zero first hand experience with East Coast.

I'm still looking for first hand experiences where people have been screwed over by going this route. Specifically, this would require you to sign for a set you believe to be in 100% working order, at some point in the next 15-30 days (whatever return window "experience" you are comparing this to) you discover a defect or damage, and Samsung declines warranty coverage (repair/replacement) on this issue and you are effectively hosed.

So far, what I'm hearing is:

1) I cancelled my order because their website looks shady.

Never mind that Cleveland and Value Electronics both have far less professional websites that look to have been designed a decade ago.

2) Best Buy let me return/upgrade to another set and ECTV of course would never have done that, so they suck.

3) Some variation of well, what if, what if, what if, what if... what if your set is defective/damaged and you don't find out until after you sign for it? They don't take returns, you're so screwed! Since you didn't buy from an "authorized" dealer, Samsung won't honor your warranty! Well, actually, Samsung will indeed honor your warranty, and they say so on their website, and there is zero evidence supporting anyone having experience otherwise. Well, what if, what if, what if.... they don't!?

I'm no cheerleader for ECTV. Their delivery estimate was off, and seems to be for some others. They upsell extremely hard, and are pretty feisty. But I did get what I paid for, a credit back for the late delivery, and saved a huge chunk of money over the "reputable" guys all for the price of some annoying phone conversations. I'm happy with that- so can anyone tell me why I'm wrong in being happy with that? Or at least why most people wouldn't?

I know there are indecisive people who want to try something new every week until they land on what they want. You know what, this isn't the way to go for you. Buy local, have a blast.

All I'm arguing is that this is a viable option, all things considered, and there seem to be some people who still don't believe that. I want to know why, and I want support for it. Real. I've got no stake in this, I just find it to be interesting and enjoy the debate.
post #235 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

I'm genuinely curious here- where is the support for it? 99.9% of the grasping is coming from people who have zero first hand experience with East Coast.

I'm still looking for first hand experiences where people have been screwed over by going this route. Specifically, this would require you to sign for a set you believe to be in 100% working order, at some point in the next 15-30 days (whatever return window "experience" you are comparing this to) you discover a defect or damage, and Samsung declines warranty coverage (repair/replacement) on this issue and you are effectively hosed

the internet is filled with horror stories concerning ECTV's...just do a simple Google search...here's one that I found pretty easily...the guy recorded the conversation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiudAZTDNE
post #236 of 381
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the internet is filled with horror stories concerning ECTV's...just do a simple Google search...here's one that I found pretty easily...the guy recorded the conversation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiudAZTDNE

Did you even listen to this one? The guy cancelled his order, they said ok... where's the scam exactly?

If that's your best example of a horror story, color me not surprised.

You quoted what I'm looking for, yet provided a non-example of that.
post #237 of 381
Sounds like they knew they couldn't upsell the guy and lied about it being in stock. Why would a reputable dealer do that? Gary
post #238 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Did you even listen to this one? The guy cancelled his order, they said ok... where's the scam exactly?

If that's your best example of a horror story, color me not surprised.

You quoted what I'm looking for, yet provided a non-example of that.

are you serious??...now I'm really starting to believe that you are a plant...the guy ordered a TV...they called for an upsell...customer says no thanks...they claim the set was damaged in shipment...hung up on the guy who asked for a refund...lied about it being in stock...you see nothing wrong with that?...and like I said that is just 1 out of hundreds of stories online...again do a Google search

now if you had said that ECTV's did not handle this properly or something to that effect that I could still go along with your feel-good stories but to completely deny anything improper took place is ridiculous
post #239 of 381
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

are you serious??...now I'm really starting to believe that you are a plant...the guy ordered a TV...they called for an upsell...customer says no thanks...they claim the set was damaged in shipment...hung up on the guy who asked for a refund...lied about it being in stock...you see nothing wrong with that?...and like I said that is just 1 out of hundreds of stories online...again do a Google search

now if you had said that ECTV's did not handle this properly or something to that effect that I could still go along with your feel-good stories but to completely deny anything improper took place is ridiculous

I've never denied that they do that- I documented it in this very thread. They are all about upselling- fierce. It looks like at one point (remember, the video is 3 years old) they played games to get out of shipping you a set too cheap. It doesn't seem they are nearly as ferocious as my story and others in this thread show you can get it shipped without biting hard on their upsells. You're still going to have to do battle and shoot them down over and over- but it can be done.

Even still, what I asked was, where was the scam? ECTV didn't take the guys money and run, they just (essentially) refused to give him a really good deal. I'm not defending their honesty or reputation; I know exactly where they stand on both counts.

Think about it this way. Purchasing from ECTV and Best Buy are both a game, but with two difference approaches:

1) Best Buy- the price starts out high and you have to convince them to give you a better deal.

2) ECTV- the price starts out low and you have to not let them convince you to get a worse deal.

I was more successful with the second approach, your mileage may vary.
post #240 of 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

I've never denied that they do that- I documented it in this very thread. They are all about upselling- fierce. It looks like at one point (remember, the video is 3 years old) they played games to get out of shipping you a set too cheap. It doesn't seem they are nearly as ferocious as my story and others in this thread show you can get it shipped without biting hard on their upsells. You're still going to have to do battle and shoot them down over and over- but it can be done.

Even still, what I asked was, where was the scam? ECTV didn't take the guys money and run, they just (essentially) refused to give him a really good deal. I'm not defending their honesty or reputation; I know exactly where they stand on both counts.

Think about it this way. Purchasing from ECTV and Best Buy are both a game, but with two difference approaches:

1) Best Buy- the price starts out high and you have to convince them to give you a better deal.

2) ECTV- the price starts out low and you have to not let them convince you to get a worse deal.

I was more successful with the second approach, your mileage may vary.

Are you serious with this? What you are conceding here is that EC actually practices a bait & switch. That actual definition of it. This is a federal crime. You are OK with this?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! › The East Coast TV's Experiment