or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! › The East Coast TV's Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The East Coast TV's Experiment - Page 3

post #61 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Amazon and Best Buy will continue to blast LED's at the masses for fantastic markup and survive just fine.

You clearly have little insight into what it takes to run a retail business.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people think product markup in the television business is so obscene.
post #62 of 378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

You clearly have little insight into what it takes to run a retail business.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people think product markup in the television business is so obscene.

I never said obscene.

From what I've seen, BB's price of $3400 on this set is at least a 20% markup (15% margin)- delivery included. If you have better numbers, by all means.
post #63 of 378
I went to my local Best Buy yesterday (not a magnolia) with a print out of a shopping cart screen from East Coast TV for the 64F8500. I told them I was hoping they had the tv on display so I could see it before buying it from East Coast, showed them the print out and they immediately matched it on the spot for $2,589. I realize ECTV is not on their price match list but it's interesting how some stores will do this with no problems and others have said they've been told no.
post #64 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores5432 View Post

I went to my local Best Buy yesterday (not a magnolia) with a print out of a shopping cart screen from East Coast TV for the 64F8500. I told them I was hoping they had the tv on display so I could see it before buying it from East Coast, showed them the print out and they immediately matched it on the spot for $2,589. I realize ECTV is not on their price match list but it's interesting how some stores will do this with no problems and others have said they've been told no.

They've all been told not to. Some choose to listen, others do not.
post #65 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Mmmm. Well, there's the stress associated with the risk and how do you quantify that? How much time is spent thinking about the risk. Some people are willing to focus on saving money and others are focused on making money. Not saying anything is wrong with either type. I've done both. Spent too many hours of my life (limited number of hours for each of us) trying to get the best deal on a VT50. What a waste of time and life -- for me at least.

It is a balancing act, but generally speaking time is well spent learning about a product and understanding the price at which a purchase represents a good value. Obsession, etc is a waste of life. And getting all worked up and stressed out is also. The hidden cost there must be considered.

I was not willing to do ECTV and the BBY Magnolia in my area is a joke. The staff is not trained. They either flat out lie or otherwise unwittingly, yet willingly, perpetuate fiction. I decided to try Paul's and a 60" VT60 $2,400 all-in shipped "white glove" at 6 months same as cash was not a stressful decision. I can imagine that I'd have stressed just a bit buying from ECTV, but we all have different thresholds where that will kick in. Some people have an irrational fear of owing money. Even "good" debt. The options there are to either live without any credit, which isn't the worst thing in the world, or to make an effort to understand it and get over the anxiety.
post #66 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Mmmm. Well, there's the stress associated with the risk and how do you quantify that? How much time is spent thinking about the risk. Some people are willing to focus on saving money and others are focused on making money. Not saying anything is wrong with either type. I've done both. Spent too many hours of my life (limited number of hours for each of us) trying to get the best deal on a VT50. What a waste of time and life -- for me at least.

I land on your side on this issue, to me I don't think it is worth the extra hassle or stress. My point was more it is an idividual decision.
post #67 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj View Post

mine says the same thing (am home delivery shipped 6/14 from NY)

I am located in AZ and it shows it going to CA. Wonder if there is a shipping hub there and then it gets shipped to me. Probably add a couple days to this process.


Anyone know how long it takes to get delivery after they ship? There is nothing that shows expected delivery date.


I am praying that my tv is good out of the box. I feel like I may have goofed by ordering through ECTV. Dont want to have to deal with them again, especially if the tv if faulty when the delivery guys get it opened

FWIW it said 3-7 days for me to coming to Texas and it took from friday to the following saturday so 8 days total, about 5 business days since it was picked up friday evening. This is with AM trucking also. There is a local hub here in Dallas though so I don't know if that helped speed things up. They called to schedule delivery the wednesday before delivery.
post #68 of 378
Thread Starter 
ECTV is down to $2575 today.
post #69 of 378
Just got the call from AM delivery that my tv will be delivered tomorrow morning. So far impressed. Ordered on Friday, shipped on monday, delivered one week from ordering. Wasnt too thrilled with the tactics of the person on the phone, but if the set has no damage....I will be satisfied, especially since I got the total price of the set with warranty for $150 white glove delivered less than Amazon.



What should I expect with the white glove delivery? They are going to take the tv out of the box and turn it on, or leave it in the box while plugging it in? Do they ever help put it on the stand (live alone so dont want to have to call people over to help) ...was thinking I could offer them $20 or so to take 5 minutes and help me out.


Have a little flashlight ready to inspect for cracks and damage on the screen. When they turn it on what kind of problems shoudl I look for that would warrant not signing the delivery form and sending it back?
post #70 of 378
I purchased the Samsung 60" F8500 from East Coast TVs two and a half weeks ago. I went through just about what every one here has gone through, researched like crazy and went to Magnolia to check out the sets with the full intention of purchasing from Magnolia/BB. I do not buy a new TV every year, in fact it's been about 8 years, so I don't mind spending the time researching because I want the best set possible. For me it was the F8500 over the ZT60 or VT60.

I tried two different Magnolia's and a BB to get a decent price. I didn't necessarily need them to match East Coast TVs price but, with tax, there was a $900 difference in total price out the door. I guess it was just my bad luck that I didn't get anyone who would discount based on the price from East Coast or Abe's or the other wholesale online sellers you see in a google shopping search. They said that Samsung could cut them off if they went under the $2,900 price (w/o tax). Very frustrating. Even $500 closer might have been enough, but not $900.

I bit the bullet, purchased from East Coast and put it on my credit card in case I had any problems. I wrote in the comments section, when I purchased it, that I was leery since I had read both good and bad reviews, that I didn't want to be upsold, didn't want extended warranty or white glove. Just a brand new set, in factory sealed box, with serial number on box to match TV set. I said if all went well, I would certainly give a good review. I received a call the next day, the guy said he had read my comments and wasn't going to try to upsell me on anything. He just wanted to confirm. That was it. I received the shipping confirmation two days later and nothing until delivery day.

I received a call from AM Home Delivery less than a week later and met the guys at my house. They (AM) appear to give you "white glove" whether you pay for it or not. I inspected the box, it was fractory sealed and in good condition, they took the TV out and took off the wrapping and we all looked at it very closely for any damage during shipping. I told them up front that I was going to give them $20 for their efforts but I wanted to be absolutely sure there wasn't any damage. They were very cool and said that every once in a while a plasma will be broken, but it is rare and usually the box is pretty beaten up. Long story short, absolutely nothing wrong with the set. It was brand new, just like what I would have received had I bought it from Magnolia/BB.

I would buy from East Coast again, no hesitation. It's certainly not as easy as buying from Magnolia/BB, where I'd rather buy, but for $900 I'd be crazy to have done anything else.

Here's the only down side, and it's not East Coast TVs fault. I realize that to keep those prices low they need to only be deling with selling TVs, not returns and the like. That's why I don't have a problem with their return policy. If it gets broken during shipping, there's shipping insurance (which was included, no cost). If it's otherwise defective or broken, then you have the warranty. In my case, no damage in shipping and it generally works like it should. However, some of these Samsung plasmas buzz louder than normal (as reported elswhere). My only practical option is to work through warranty, whereas with Magnolia/BB I could have done exchanges until I found one that didn't buzz. The good news is, that process also allowed me to be completely satisfied that the East Coast TV I received was brand new and has a factory warranty - as confirmed by the technician that came out. The other good news is that I am ultimately getting a brand new plasma panel, under warranty, which theoretically has a better chance of no buzzing than the crap shoot of what you might get from an exchange.

Sorry for the long story, but I would have liked this info before I purchased. Also, I don't mind shopping for a good price for a TV and the related research. It's like planning a vacation, you get some of the fun just in the anticipation of it all. It guess that's just me. Besides, what else would I be doing, watching TV? wink.gif
Edited by estiff - 6/20/13 at 4:29pm
post #71 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

If it gets broken during shipping, there's shipping insurance (which was included, no cost). If it's otherwise defective or broken, then you have the warranty. In my case, no damage in shipping and it generally works like it should.

That's interesting, since OP (and many others) are contacted and told after the sale that there is an additional charge for this insurance. This is one reason I wouldn't consider a retailer like EC or AoM. Tell me my full cost up front, instead of playing games with the fine print and forcing me to call you to get telemarketed. I'm sure, though, on lower margin items, they see this as a revenue stream. Granted, once this phase is over, they seem to have a better track record than similar sellers with the same business model. I think this is another significant reason many people are leery of them - others which operate similarly will string customers along whose orders they're unable to upsell.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the OP or your experience are atypical, but I do think that they didn't push either of you too strongly "after the sale" in part because your purchase was on a high margin item.

That said, if you're comfortable with the risk in light of the potential savings, there's no reason not to at least consider them, as long as people set their expectations accordingly and know that should anything come up, they'll be left to deal with it (so be sure to pay with a credit card with purchase protection). This is the reason I cringed when I saw CP lumped into the same category. CP has demonstrated they'll provide excellent service, something sellers like EC are up front (to their credit, at least, some are not) about wanting nothing to do with.
Edited by AKA - 6/20/13 at 8:05pm
post #72 of 378
I don't know this for a fact, but suspect that insurance is necessary if you're outside of the AM Home Delivery service area. Could also be, though, that it's just another upsell like the white glove delivery.

Two additional things I learned: AM Home delivery will only accept brand new products for shipping, so used or refurbished is not on option by a shipper such as East Coast. AM is advertised on its website and on the truck as white glove delivery, so I don't think a product can be delivered through them except as "white glove," which isn't much more than opening box and turning it on. They don't have the best reviews, but did fine with my delivery. An extra $20 for the delivery guys seemed like a small price given the overall savings and wasn't required but probably helped my experience.
post #73 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

My only practical option is to work through warranty, whereas with Magnolia/BB I could have done exchanges until I found one that didn't buzz. The good news is, that process also allowed me to be completely satisfied that the East Coast TV I received was brand new and has a factory warranty - as confirmed by the technician that came out. The other good news is that I am ultimately getting a brand new plasma panel, under warranty, which theoretically has a better chance of no buzzing than the crap shoot of what you might get from an exchange.

How long did it take for a technician to be scheduled? What did the technician conclude about the panel (specifically)? How long did it take to get the new panel and does it buzz?

Appreciate the ECTV story.
post #74 of 378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

That said, if you're comfortable with the risk in light of the potential savings, there's no reason not to at least consider them, as long as people set their expectations accordingly and know that should anything come up, they'll be left to deal with it (so be sure to pay with a credit card with purchase protection). This is the reason I cringed when I saw CP lumped into the same category. CP has demonstrated they'll provide excellent service, something sellers like EC are up front (to their credit, at least, some are not) about wanting nothing to do with.

Actually, I think he demonstrated that there really is no additional risk involved. So I'm not sure what you mean there. What would paying hundreds of dollars more have got him from CP, Amazon, or nearly $1K more from BB?
  • Authorized/not authorized- doesn't matter. Warranty was just as legit as from anywhere else.
  • Shipping and delivery was acceptable.
  • Shipment notification and delivery time-frame was acceptable.
  • Should issue arise/or be noticed after set was signed for, did he have a chance for hassle-free replacement? Yes.

So in the end, if you prefer to shuffle replacement sets through your dealer should the need arise, enjoy the 30-day return they offer. If you're okay with getting a replacement from Samsung (which you would have to do after 30 days anyway!), pocket some savings you can use for an extended warranty or calibration.
post #75 of 378
I'll be attempting to get a price match at my local BB in about 20 minutes. I actually bought my 64f8500 a week ago so I guess they will just dump some money back on my card if the match it. Btw for all of you looking at extended warranties. If you are a Costco member you can buy a tv anywhere and go get a 3 year warranty for $100 from Costco through Squaretrade.
post #76 of 378
I will ultimately post the results of the buzz issue on the F8500 thread, but in short answer to your question - I called Samsung and scheduled a technician and received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order the two internal boards that often resolve the issue in advance so they could do more than just diagnose. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The whole "all plasma s buzz" thing I was waiting for but beat them to the punch. I have a 50" Panasonic that doesn't make a noise unless you put your ear to the back so I know this isn't normal. The technician was very understanding and tried both of the boards, no change. He agreed to order a new panel, which we are now waiting for. A new plasma panel is basically a new TV other than the frame. We'll see. I think this is a Samsung issue and just a roll of the dice whether a panel buzzes or not. I'll update when it's done.
post #77 of 378
TV delivered this morning by AM delivery. Everything looked good on the tv when they turned it on.

Feel like I def got scammed in paying for the 'white glove' . My guess is the same drivers and same service either way. I have mixed feelings about ECTV. Was able to get the tv quickly and cheaper than other places. Just wish I would have read the up sell reviews and declined the delivery service and saved and extra hundo. I despise pushy east coast sales tactics.

Now I am sitting here trying to figure out if there is a way to get the tv on the stand solo without having to wait to find someone to come over and help.
post #78 of 378
Well BB just shot me down here in San Antonio. Would not price match East Coast because they were not on their list.
post #79 of 378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

I will ultimately post the results of the buzz issue on the F8500 thread, but in short answer to your question - I called Samsung and scheduled a technician and received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order the two internal boards that often resolve the issue in advance so they could do more than just diagnose. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The whole "all plasma s buzz" thing I was waiting for but beat them to the punch. I have a 50" Panasonic that doesn't make a noise unless you put your ear to the back so I know this isn't normal. The technician was very understanding and tried both of the boards, no change. He agreed to order a new panel, which we are now waiting for. A new plasma panel is basically a new TV other than the frame. We'll see. I think this is a Samsung issue and just a roll of the dice whether a panel buzzes or not. I'll update when it's done.

Yeah, I think you're right. From reports I think some are certainly buzzing louder than others- luck of the draw. Of course, I think there is varying sensitivity to the issue, including ambient noise level already present. I know my Kuro has a healthy buzz to it, but at 10ft back, it's a non-issue for me. It seems like this is quite a bit more noticeable for some.
post #80 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Actually, I think he demonstrated that there really is no additional risk involved. So I'm not sure what you mean there. What would paying hundreds of dollars more have got him from CP, Amazon, or nearly $1K more from BB?
  • Authorized/not authorized- doesn't matter. Warranty was just as legit as from anywhere else.
  • Shipping and delivery was acceptable.
  • Shipment notification and delivery time-frame was acceptable.
  • Should issue arise/or be noticed after set was signed for, did he have a chance for hassle-free replacement? Yes.

So in the end, if you prefer to shuffle replacement sets through your dealer should the need arise, enjoy the 30-day return they offer. If you're okay with getting a replacement from Samsung (which you would have to do after 30 days anyway!), pocket some savings you can use for an extended warranty or calibration.

Dealing with the manufacturer is not necessarily hassle free. Anyone who's dealt with both a retailer and manufacturer on warranty issues knows that, in general, dealing with a store tends to have a quicker and easier resolution. This is especially so given that many consumer electronics companies subcontract their warranty support and those companies can be difficult to deal with. Considering most defects will present themselves in the first 90 days (and yes, there are retailers with 90 days returns), it's nice to have this option. An option which includes a refund, which you're not going to get from EC in most cases. It's easy to say there is "no risk" if you have no problem with your product - the risk is that your product is not as expected. In this case, it's been demonstrated that you're better off not even trying to get help from EC - you're dealing with the manufacturer.

Again, I didn't say you can't choose the EC route. It's your choice. Nor am I saying EC can't be given a chance to redeem themselves. I am saying they (and business who operate in a similar fashion) have earned the reputation they have and customers should be aware before they proceed.

A few examples of where this reputation comes from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiudAZTDNE
http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-lounge/92023-anybody-deal-east-coast-tvs.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/east-coast-tvs-new-jersey-c369742.html
Edited by AKA - 6/21/13 at 8:49am
post #81 of 378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

Dealing with the manufacturer is not necessarily hassle free. Anyone who's dealt with both a retailer and manufacturer on warranty issues knows that, in general, dealing with a store tends to have a quicker and easier resolution. This is especially so given that many consumer electronics companies subcontract their warranty support and those companies can be difficult to deal with. Considering most defects will present themselves in the first 90 days (and yes, there are retailers with 90 days returns), it's nice to have this option. An option which includes a refund, which you're not going to get from EC in most cases. It's easy to say there is "no risk" if you have no problem with your product - the risk is that your product is not as expected. In this case, it's been demonstrated that you're better off not even trying to get help from EC - you're dealing with the manufacturer.

Again, I didn't say you can't choose the EC route. It's your choice. Nor am I saying EC can't be given a chance to redeem themselves. I am saying they (and business who operate in a similar fashion) have earned the reputation they have and customers should be aware before they proceed.

A few examples of where this reputation comes from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiudAZTDNE
http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-lounge/92023-anybody-deal-east-coast-tvs.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/east-coast-tvs-new-jersey-c369742.html

In the case of a buzzing panel I would far prefer they make a first attempt to replace the defective boards than play roulette with new units entirely. All you're asking for is additional issues that weren't present in the panel you currently have. You won't get this service from anyone but Samsung anyway.

Let's say estiff exchanges his set for another from BB. Well guess what, you're waiting for an order because they don't stock them in store. It's not that simple. Now, suppose his replacement has the same buzzing. What now?

Well, BB starts to get a little irritated with multiple exchanges and indeed can blacklist you at their whim.

You haven't explained specifically what additional risk estiff took on, or what he would have received spending hundreds more from others. Unless "your product is not as expected" is your answer, in which case, it isn't additional risk because that is exactly the same no matter who you purchase from.

Worst case scenario. You screwed up, your panel is fine- exactly as it should be. But you decide you don't want it (why? I don't know) and would like a refund. Do you really think you can't flip your brand new top of the line plasma and get at least what you have in it- especially when BB and Amazon are $900 more expensive? wink.gif

Silly price to pay if that's all your reasoning for spending extra money entails- IMO.
post #82 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

Dealing with the manufacturer is not necessarily hassle free. Anyone who's dealt with both a retailer and manufacturer on warranty issues knows that, in general, dealing with a store tends to have a quicker and easier resolution. This is especially so given that many consumer electronics companies subcontract their warranty support and those companies can be difficult to deal with. Considering most defects will present themselves in the first 90 days (and yes, there are retailers with 90 days returns), it's nice to have this option. An option which includes a refund, which you're not going to get from EC in most cases. It's easy to say there is "no risk" if you have no problem with your product - the risk is that your product is not as expected. In this case, it's been demonstrated that you're better off not even trying to get help from EC - you're dealing with the manufacturer.

Again, I didn't say you can't choose the EC route. It's your choice. Nor am I saying EC can't be given a chance to redeem themselves. I am saying they (and business who operate in a similar fashion) have earned the reputation they have and customers should be aware before they proceed.

A few examples of where this reputation comes from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMiudAZTDNE
http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-lounge/92023-anybody-deal-east-coast-tvs.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/east-coast-tvs-new-jersey-c369742.html

If you read the highdef forum negative post from 2009, ECTV has proved throughout the span of time to be legit.
post #83 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

If you read the highdef forum negative post from 2009, ECTV has proved throughout the span of time to be legit.

I'm not questioning their legitimacy. But you can't tell me they don't have a consistent record of questionable service (especially relating to how they handle open orders) and, as that thread demonstrates, they post fake reviews to dilute the poor reviews they do get. That practice alone is enough for me to avoid them altogether.

Noone's saying you can't overlook that and choose to do business with them. Cost is the primary reason they continue to do business, overriding everything else. Just don't pretend that's not the case and that anyone who values anything more than just cost doesn't stand to be disappointed.
post #84 of 378
I was as big an ECTV skeptic as anyone, but let's be honest, any retailer can put a customer through a bad experience. Heck, I even had a crazy time once trying to make a return at Wal*Mart. And I'd never imagined I'd have trouble with a return there. Had to call up to a regional office to make the local store accept the return.

I'd be much more likely to order from ECTV having read this thread. Seems like there is a work around on the up-selling (by submitting 'Comments'). The actual delivery experience may be hit and miss, but aren't they all?
post #85 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

I was as big an ECTV skeptic as anyone, but let's be honest, any retailer can put a customer through a bad experience. Heck, I even had a crazy time once trying to make a return at Wal*Mart. And I'd never imagined I'd have trouble with a return there. Had to call up to a regional office to make the local store accept the return.

I'd be much more likely to order from ECTV having read this thread. Seems like there is a work around on the up-selling (by submitting 'Comments'). The actual delivery experience may be hit and miss, but aren't they all?

After having my tv delivered this morning i would def use them again if the pricing is well below Cleveland plasma or someone like that (best buy,costco) . Even pricing I probably go with Cleveland. BUT, the only way I order again is knowing to put the 'dont give me a bunch of bs sales tactics to up sell me' in the comment box.
post #86 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

I will ultimately post the results of the buzz issue on the F8500 thread, but in short answer to your question - I called Samsung and scheduled a technician and received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order the two internal boards that often resolve the issue in advance so they could do more than just diagnose. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The whole "all plasma s buzz" thing I was waiting for but beat them to the punch. I have a 50" Panasonic that doesn't make a noise unless you put your ear to the back so I know this isn't normal. The technician was very understanding and tried both of the boards, no change. He agreed to order a new panel, which we are now waiting for. A new plasma panel is basically a new TV other than the frame. We'll see. I think this is a Samsung issue and just a roll of the dice whether a panel buzzes or not. I'll update when it's done.

ill give you some info on Sammy plasmas since the B series, all of them will buzz. there will be some slight variation in the db's of the buzz, but not much. it's the coils on the boards that buzz. again I'll state,better yet I'll guarantee you (since you can here the 17khz buzz) your new panel will buzz as well. if it doesn't call me out like none other. I however don't think this will happen.
post #87 of 378
When is the TV scheduled to arrive? Regardless of your experience with EC, I think I have decided to get the Sony W900A, probably from Amazon. I think it has a better picture than both the Panasonics and Samsungs.
post #88 of 378
^OT, but I think you're wrong about that objectively speaking, especially since the W900A is an edgelit model.
post #89 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

In the case of a buzzing panel I would far prefer they make a first attempt to replace the defective boards than play roulette with new units entirely. All you're asking for is additional issues that weren't present in the panel you currently have. You won't get this service from anyone but Samsung anyway.

Let's say estiff exchanges his set for another from BB. Well guess what, you're waiting for an order because they don't stock them in store. It's not that simple. Now, suppose his replacement has the same buzzing. What now?

Well, BB starts to get a little irritated with multiple exchanges and indeed can blacklist you at their whim.

You haven't explained specifically what additional risk estiff took on, or what he would have received spending hundreds more from others. Unless "your product is not as expected" is your answer, in which case, it isn't additional risk because that is exactly the same no matter who you purchase from.

Worst case scenario. You screwed up, your panel is fine- exactly as it should be. But you decide you don't want it (why? I don't know) and would like a refund. Do you really think you can't flip your brand new top of the line plasma and get at least what you have in it- especially when BB and Amazon are $900 more expensive? wink.gif

Silly price to pay if that's all your reasoning for spending extra money entails- IMO.

I actually bought a highend samsung led led from EC, about 6 months ago,.. Of course I got the hard upsell call an hour after i placed the order online, , first thing he said, was "oh we just got a new cc system and i need to call to confirm the order" (which was bs). then came the upsell...i declined everything, and at the very end
of the call he said "ok I'll just add 3% or 4% (forgot which one) for shipping insurance.. I said "ok" just basically to get him to stop trying to sell me any more things i did not need or want.. I also agreed
because I actually wanted them to ship the tv out, and not tell me "oh we dont have it in stock any more": 2 weeks later.. In short, the tv actually came in about a week, delivery guys were decent..
I ended up hating the PQ of the tv, and 2 weeks later i sold it through graigslist and recouped 95% of my money., (but that's a whole other story).. I emailed EC and abe's about a month ago, and my email to them read as such "im interested in brand X tv, i will place the order today, if you promise i will not get a call to upsell me anything" Needless to say, I did not get a return email from either one of those companies to this day..
Edited by Tony1 - 6/23/13 at 1:44am
post #90 of 378
Also, in case anyone was wondering, I bought 2 tvs from Pauls tvs,, I got no calls from them, the tvs just came to me.. Took about 1-2 weeks each time. I'm close to NYC..
The basic difference in ordering from pauls or EC, is with Pauls, you know they are 100% authorized and you do have a 30 day return policy.. With EC's you will most likely get
a brand new factory sealed tv, but i'm pretty sure they are not authorized, and that may or may not make a difference if something goes horribly wrong with your tv 3 months later..
I have read that samsung is not strict with that so it may not be much of an issue.. At any rate, IMO i think it's absolutely absurd to buy a very expensive tv from best buy or from amazon,
they are both rip offs.. I'm not really interested in paying for Best buys huge rent expenses and for their clueless staff's salary to just sit there and joke around with their co-workers all day..
Amazon usually charges tax, (in NY), for that reason alone i wouldnt ever order from amazon.. I got my old VT50 for $1499 from paul's tv, about 6 months ago, while even today it's about $2000 plus tax on amazon eek:
Edited by Tony1 - 6/23/13 at 1:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! › The East Coast TV's Experiment